Police Officer Discounts ??

Police Officer Discounts ??

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
MrMagoo

Kingsport, TN

#1 Dec 12, 2011
I saw something the other day that I could not believe. I saw a young man with a scalped hair cut walk into a local business and look around. He after browsing the inventory for a few moments, then walk over to the sales person and ask "You do give Police Discounts, don"t you" ? Now I know that several years ago local Police Officers did not make a liveable wage. I also know that many places around gave the Officers a food discount or a free meal, coffee etc. They liked them being in their establishments for crime prevention and knew the salary situation. Today things have changed and a Officers pay is up to and often above average pay for this area. For a Officer to all but demand a discount is placing a merchant in a very hard situation. This person has the power to give tickets and arrest a person and to ask for a discount is an abuse of their position in my humble opinion. I cannot ask for a discount because of my job or do I carry a badge to coerce them for a reduction in prices. If they will do this what else would they do ?

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#2 Dec 12, 2011
MrMagoo wrote:
I saw something the other day that I could not believe. I saw a young man with a scalped hair cut walk into a local business and look around. He after browsing the inventory for a few moments, then walk over to the sales person and ask "You do give Police Discounts, don"t you" ? Now I know that several years ago local Police Officers did not make a liveable wage. I also know that many places around gave the Officers a food discount or a free meal, coffee etc. They liked them being in their establishments for crime prevention and knew the salary situation. Today things have changed and a Officers pay is up to and often above average pay for this area. For a Officer to all but demand a discount is placing a merchant in a very hard situation. This person has the power to give tickets and arrest a person and to ask for a discount is an abuse of their position in my humble opinion. I cannot ask for a discount because of my job or do I carry a badge to coerce them for a reduction in prices. If they will do this what else would they do ?
All he did was ask. You're allowed to ask too.
lulz

Elizabethton, TN

#3 Dec 12, 2011
I see no harm in it. If they're willing to take a bullet for ya, why not give em 10%
OldmanJenkins

Johnson City, TN

#4 Dec 12, 2011
MrMagoo wrote:
I saw something the other day that I could not believe. I saw a young man with a scalped hair cut walk into a local business and look around. He after browsing the inventory for a few moments, then walk over to the sales person and ask "You do give Police Discounts, don"t you" ? Now I know that several years ago local Police Officers did not make a liveable wage. I also know that many places around gave the Officers a food discount or a free meal, coffee etc. They liked them being in their establishments for crime prevention and knew the salary situation. Today things have changed and a Officers pay is up to and often above average pay for this area. For a Officer to all but demand a discount is placing a merchant in a very hard situation. This person has the power to give tickets and arrest a person and to ask for a discount is an abuse of their position in my humble opinion. I cannot ask for a discount because of my job or do I carry a badge to coerce them for a reduction in prices. If they will do this what else would they do ?
I don't see anything wrong with offering discounts to police officers. The same for teachers, students, veterans, and senior citizens. Don't worry, you won't be struck with a cane if you do not oblige!
discounter

Nashville, TN

#5 Dec 12, 2011
What about pimps and hos? Do they deserve a discount for the service they provide?
lol

Kingsport, TN

#6 Dec 14, 2011
where do you see that officers around here salaries are higher then anywhere else???? Compare Johnson City starting salaries to other cities. You are wrong my friend.
Nobody

United States

#7 Dec 14, 2011
Cops feel totally entitled. I would double the price I sold it to them. Thugs

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#8 Dec 15, 2011
Nobody wrote:
Cops feel totally entitled. I would double the price I sold it to them. Thugs
Yeah, those bastards. Who do they think they are?

All they do is work 50-60 hour weeks, constantly putting themselves in harm's way to protect people they don't even know. Those self-righteous assholes.

They collect their fat salaries of $28,000 a year, and all they have to do is work a job that causes their wives, children and families to wonder if their even coming home that night, because their is a high likelihood they'll eventually be shot and/or killed.

In case you're wondering, I'm mocking you. Because you're a moron.

Judged:

26

17

4

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#9 Dec 15, 2011
*there
Speaking of retard

Richlands, VA

#10 Dec 15, 2011
Comment Samurai wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, those bastards. Who do they think they are?
All they do is work 50-60 hour weeks, constantly putting themselves in harm's way to protect people they don't even know. Those self-righteous assholes.
They collect their fat salaries of $28,000 a year, and all they have to do is work a job that causes their wives, children and families to wonder if their even coming home that night, because their is a high likelihood they'll eventually be shot and/or killed.
In case you're wondering, I'm mocking you. Because you're a moron.
F you and your 28k a year if they are working 50 or 60 hours a week. They are hourly employees and get overtime for that. Cops make a considerable amount more than most people that only have a high school education. JCPD is one of the better paid organizations in the area also. I think it is pretty f'ed up that an officer would ASK for a discount. What a bum. I think that they should have to pay full price for everything. And as far as worrying about coming home to their family, STFU with that garbage. They knew what they were getting into when they applied for the position. By the time they graduated the academy, they were more than adequately informed about the possibility, and trained on how to prevent it. A high likelihood that they will be shot or killed my ass....this is East TN, not the Bronx. The chances of a plane piggy backing their cruiser into the side of a building before crashing into a lake are better than an East TN officer getting shot in the line of duty.

Judged:

11

10

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Nobody

Kingsport, TN

#11 Dec 15, 2011
They can choose any job they want. They should not choose a job and then bitch about it. Most of them are cops because they are not qualified to do anything else. The crime rate for citizens is actually dropping in NYC however the crime rate for cops is on the increase. Thugs

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#12 Dec 15, 2011
Speaking of retard wrote:
<quoted text>
F you and your 28k a year if they are working 50 or 60 hours a week. They are hourly employees and get overtime for that. Cops make a considerable amount more than most people that only have a high school education. JCPD is one of the better paid organizations in the area also. I think it is pretty f'ed up that an officer would ASK for a discount. What a bum. I think that they should have to pay full price for everything. And as far as worrying about coming home to their family, STFU with that garbage. They knew what they were getting into when they applied for the position. By the time they graduated the academy, they were more than adequately informed about the possibility, and trained on how to prevent it. A high likelihood that they will be shot or killed my ass....this is East TN, not the Bronx. The chances of a plane piggy backing their cruiser into the side of a building before crashing into a lake are better than an East TN officer getting shot in the line of duty.
It's adorable that you think any of your opinions matter to anyone. Now hurry with my fries, before they get cold.
Thinbluelinegirl p

United States

#14 Dec 15, 2011
You idiots think you know everything,try walking into a hotel out of the area with your law enforcement id and asking for your goverment discount and behold the indian owned business does not offer a discount. Police officers work more than 50-60 hrs a week,and dont get paid enough to chase drug addicts,drunks,and assholes around to keep you morons safe. Yea a goverment job that keeps you away from your family,friends and you still dont make enough to live a nice cushioned life. Not all police officers are jerks,they're just tired of putting up with assholes like you and keeping your asses safe. You dont know dick. They deserve a discount,even if its 10%!!!!
well

Johnson City, TN

#15 Dec 15, 2011
Why do you think he was a cop? Did you see a badge? Did you see a gun? No, he had a shaved head and that was it. If I walk into a store and ask do they give astronauts a discount that don't mean I work for NASA. Furthermore most cops I know I that get a discount at lunch, will leave a huge tip that makes up the difference in what ever gets knocked off at the register. I even heard the manager at Pizza Hut say he likes giving the cops a discount, because it brings them in and they tip his servers well. What about military discounts, senior citizen, hospital staff, boy/girl scouts, the list goes on and on?
seriously

United States

#16 Dec 16, 2011
You really want to say these people became police officers because they are not educated? Wow! I'm guessing you are the first person to call them when someone gives you a dirty look. You need think before speaking. You people that are saying the police or fire makes lots of money think again people. How about the families they are leaving at home each shift that do not know if that loved one will be back home. What about the ones that eat cold meals or maybe miss meals because they are saving your sorry butt. My suggestion don't judge people before you know the situation.
Nobody

United States

#17 Dec 16, 2011
If a person does not like their job, they should change jobs.
why

Nashville, TN

#18 Dec 16, 2011
Why doesn't every one have to pay the same price for things? Why should anyone get special deals? When you start doing that, then where do you stop?

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#19 Dec 17, 2011
why wrote:
Why doesn't every one have to pay the same price for things? Why should anyone get special deals? When you start doing that, then where do you stop?
It's called a "free market." Go Google. Come back smarter.
MrMagoo

Kingsport, TN

#20 Dec 17, 2011
To Well
When one asks for a Police Officer Discount I believe it pretty much says it all. As for pay $28,000 per year is about $13.50 per hour. They know the risks going into the job as do the wives. I believe they have insurance available, two weeks paid vacation, in-service pay, twelve paid sick days a year, Holiday pay, overtime pay for extra hours worked, often at a much higher rate than time and a half. Court time pay, at time and a half, and supplied with a car to drive to and from work(no gas expense) uniforms and equipment supplied.(no clothes to buy). I believe that if you compute all that into final figures it comes out to $35,000-$40,000 per year. I would be the first to say it is not enough for them or Firemen. But it sure is more than most average people in this area make and does not justify expected or demanded discounts. I am also glad to know that the expected amount is 10%?? many places don't make a 10% profit.
I believe in free enterprise and if a store wants to give a officer, a veteran etc. a price reduction that is fine. But when one comes to expect it,what is next, a offer to protect you for a set amount of money each month ??? I do not believe any Police Department in this Country exists that does not have a written policy against this very thing, and Officers are not to accept it even if offered.
Yep

Nashville, TN

#21 Dec 17, 2011
Nobody wrote:
They can choose any job they want. They should not choose a job and then bitch about it. Most of them are cops because they are not qualified to do anything else. The crime rate for citizens is actually dropping in NYC however the crime rate for cops is on the increase. Thugs
I notice you take every opportunity in every forum Ive read dealing with law enforcement to down them. What the matter kid, did they shut down your meth lab or write you a ticket for speeding or keep you from beating your wife or something? Why dont you put on your big boy pants, grow the hell up and move on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Property tax increase 27 min Watcher 3
New Adult Bar Johnson City 58 min Lol 10
Preacher Gary Barnett (Aug '11) 3 hr Diggity 11
Firehouse Subs should be in Johnson City!!!!! 14 hr Go Blue Forever 42
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 21 hr Dianne Leonard 1,558
Tax And Spend David Tomita 22 hr Watcher 43
Moving back to JC Fri Questions 2

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages