Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated May 27, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Which high school is academically better in Johnson City? I am in real dilemma right now. UH or Science Hill? My child got accepted for 9th grade for year 2013-2014. Please help me to make my decision. I would love to hear comments from recent parents from both high schools.
The truth

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

UH. It's not even close. My child goes there and is thriving. I have a friend with a child at each school, and she tells me that UH is more challenging.

Science Hill is a good school and lots of good kids come out of there. But given the choice, go with UH if you believe academics are more important than all the flash.
Both Are Good Schools

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I think UH has a reputaton for high academic standards and SH is a close second. The school I would never consider is Daniel Boone HS. It used to put academics as a high priority and had excellent test scores, but now has some of the lowest test scores in the state. Administrators are all coaches/former coaches and are more interested in winning ballgames. Their main goal is athletics and that's why many concerned parents are now sending their children to UH or SH.
top

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 15, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

University would be my choice. The comment about Daniel Boone is true. Boone is troubled school. Too many things go on that should not. Drugs, affair cover-ups,teachers not monitoring halls and the principal keeps his head up his ass. SINCE THE SUPERINTENDENT WILL NOT DO ANYTHING MAYBE THE SCHOOL BOARD SHOULD GET SOMEONE WHO WILL.
hmm

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 16, 2013
 
Concerned Mom wrote:
Which high school is academically better in Johnson City? I am in real dilemma right now. UH or Science Hill? My child got accepted for 9th grade for year 2013-2014. Please help me to make my decision. I would love to hear comments from recent parents from both high schools.
I graduated last year, and I wouldn't send my dog to UH. It's a joke. They pride themselves on being a "math and science signature school".. psh, BS. The teachers are AWFUL and are constantly in and out.. Mostly because any decent teacher doesn't stay there long. And idk where people get the idea that it's a "snob school". That can't be further from the truth. The wealthy people in Johnson city send their kids to SHHS.
Also, some people may like the small size.. But I personally hated it. SO much drama.. and because there are so few students, you can't get away from it.
I don't know a whole lot about SHHS, but I'm sure it has down sides too.. Honestly, the only decent high school in JC is Providence. That's the only place I would send my child. Good luck..
Concerned Mom

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 20, 2013
 
Thanks everyone for your comments. its good both +ve and -ve comments. Last night I attended Science Hill 9th graders parents meeting. I heard (I hope I heard it right. was sitting way at the back) the principal say how Science Hill is ranked number 2 accademically in TN. I'm not sure if she meant northeast TN or in tricity area. I googled to find something on this regard, but didnt have much luck. I don't care much about the ranking. I like to hear from parents and students.
doubtful

Taylors, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Concerned Mom wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. its good both +ve and -ve comments. Last night I attended Science Hill 9th graders parents meeting. I heard (I hope I heard it right. was sitting way at the back) the principal say how Science Hill is ranked number 2 accademically in TN. I'm not sure if she meant northeast TN or in tricity area. I googled to find something on this regard, but didnt have much luck. I don't care much about the ranking. I like to hear from parents and students.
I highly doubt they're ranked 2 anywhere.. I'd bet my life on it
John

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

If your kid is already a high achiever, Science Hill is the obvious choice. I was in the top ten percent at both schools and bored out of my mind at UH. There is a greater variety of courses at science hill and more opportunities for socialization. The remedial courses may be better, too. I can't speak to it but I know UH has a "one size fits all" approach that is outdated. When I was there ten years ago the only foreign language they offered was French, and it was required! UH is completely mismanaged and is only seen as a desirable school because of its association with the university and its lottery selection system for students.
Miss Creant

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Just a clarification--UH also offered Spanish 10 years ago.

UH operates on a more individualized approach because they can due to class size.

One drawback to UH is they have no vocational classes.
UH Student

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Concerned Mom wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. its good both +ve and -ve comments. Last night I attended Science Hill 9th graders parents meeting. I heard (I hope I heard it right. was sitting way at the back) the principal say how Science Hill is ranked number 2 accademically in TN. I'm not sure if she meant northeast TN or in tricity area. I googled to find something on this regard, but didnt have much luck. I don't care much about the ranking. I like to hear from parents and students.
I attend UH, they focus more on helping individual kids because class size is small. Science Hill has larger classes and many of the teachers can't work one on one at certain times in class if your child needs it because they have a lot of others. I would recommend UH.
maybe

Chatsworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

UH Student wrote:
<quoted text>I attend UH, they focus more on helping individual kids because class size is small. Science Hill has larger classes and many of the teachers can't work one on one at certain times in class if your child needs it because they have a lot of others. I would recommend UH.
That is if they're willing to help. Most of the teachers at UH aren't interested in doing their job, let alone doing it well.
John

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Miss Creant wrote:
Just a clarification--UH also offered Spanish 10 years ago.
UH operates on a more individualized approach because they can due to class size.
One drawback to UH is they have no vocational classes.
So I was lied to and everyone at the school and my peers went to great trouble to hide it from me, then.
BIG DADDY

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

UH is for wannabe rich people that can't afford to go to a REAL private school. Sad situation-it is actually a Washington County School. It is no better than any other public school-just the elite perception but it's FREE to those who know how to manipulate the system.
Concerned parent

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 27, 2013
 
BIG DADDY wrote:
UH is for wannabe rich people that can't afford to go to a REAL private school. Sad situation-it is actually a Washington County School. It is no better than any other public school-just the elite perception but it's FREE to those who know how to manipulate the system.
Wow! How do people manipulate the system really? I have heard this about Science Hill too. Counselors don't give information to all children about available scholarship. Most of the scholarships are quietly given to children whose parents work at the school. I hope it's not true.
Jethro

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I wouldn't send old Duke to either Crackett or Boone. 80% of the kids that "graduate" from those places are morons who can barely write their names.
Girl

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

My daughter goes to UH, it is a good school but it is challenging.(but it does prepare you for college which is great).

The best part, not many kids go there, your child will NOT get involved in a gang or run with rednecks. Awesome
Girl

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BIG DADDY wrote:
UH is for wannabe rich people that can't afford to go to a REAL private school. Sad situation-it is actually a Washington County School. It is no better than any other public school-just the elite perception but it's FREE to those who know how to manipulate the system.
That's not true at all, it's very challenging, they have high standards. Also there are a lot of children there that are rich quite frankly, they are not wannabes, but they are all very nice, many don't consider themselves rich or think everyone else is too. The doctors and lawyers send their children there because of the standards and all the children that go there, go because they want to and they are concerned about getting ready for college, not just because they live in that area. No way would I send my child anywhere else.
Girl

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Miss Creant wrote:
Just a clarification--UH also offered Spanish 10 years ago.
UH operates on a more individualized approach because they can due to class size.
One drawback to UH is they have no vocational classes.
A school like that would never have vocational classes, the students are going to college. They don't wish to learn a trade like applying make up or welding.
wake up

Piney Flats, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Believe me UH is not drug free....to think so is crazy. Kids are kids and no school is free of these problems. No one can guarantee every child that attends UH will go to college so its sad they do not offer more. But they do work with SH on allowing kids to walk on to football. Both schools are really good...ive not heard of a prodigy coming from any local schools...lol
iotaomicron825

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 30, 2013
 
I graduated from UH back in 2010. The environment is different seeing as it's a smaller school that tries to emphasize math and science over most other subjects. That being said, it's really not much different than any other high school in the area. You're always gonna have the pothead students and dropouts no matter where you are. Same goes for teachers. For the most part the teachers are great but you're always gonna have one or two that the students can't stand. Surprisingly though, not as many UH students end up going to ETSU as one would think. Most of us were sick of it by the time we graduated. Half of my graduating class ended up somewhere else.

But overall, it's actually a pretty decent school with good teachers. I don't regret leaving Science Hill to go there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Johnson City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Johnson City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Johnson City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Johnson City
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••