ETSU Ignores Students Wishes Votes to...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lulz

Manchester, TN

#21 Feb 1, 2013
Im sure that half of you don't go to ETSU or have a clue what you're talking about.
Bucky

Kingsport, TN

#22 Feb 1, 2013
Buckaneer wrote:
<quoted text>
Went to a basketball game last year and the attendance was poor by any standard. This year it's worse. And the university wants to build a new stadium for that fan base? As far as the chants that's simply the choir being vocal. It would be interesting if they gave students the choice of opting in for football support. If they opt out they don't receive free tickets to the home games. I doubt they would get 50% participation under that scenario. Again the additional fee to each student is $250 to $375 per year.
The biggest problem with the football program in the past was the athletic department, the supporters, and their interference in the program. They failed to recruit locally and brought in players from Florida and Alabama etc. Who can blame the community for not supporting that. All while consistently having the best facilities in their respective leagues.
A big part of the program was the arrogant attitude of the boosters and the way a handful of players comported themselves. A problem the basketball team is experiencing presently.
If Noland isn't aware of the past problems then he's not been properly advised or terribly naive. Firing the Postmaster who intercepted a drug shipment indicates that in some fashion he's not getting it. The athletic department is not the king bully of the University and, unlike some schools, the revenues they bring in isn't even remotely sufficient to consider granting them that status.
I do agree with a LOT of what you said. I can tell you this... I have had several kids at ETSU for 7 years straight and counting and the tuition has gone up EVERY year. How do you think they are paying for a new 8 million dollar soccer field, a new 5 million dollar track, a new 10 million dollar baseball stadium, a new 5 million dollar softball stadium, a new 2.5 million dollar golf center, all of which are full of nothing but empty seats. Stanton's last project was to build a new basketball arena to the tune of 50-60 million. Again, nothing but empty seats there. In the early 90's average attendance at a basketball game was 10,000. Today it is 3,300, and I would say that is a stretch.

My question is... why did Stanton let the students vote on football vs. a raise in tuition, but gave them no choice on all the money spent on other sports and raised their tuition anyway? Doesn't make sense to me.

As far as the increase in tuition, the figure I read was not $250 to $375 per year. It was $150 or somewhere close to that. I believe if a new vote were taken today the students would vote overwhelmingly vote to reinstate football. I totally agree with you about the problems in the past and their failure to even take a look at local athletes. They shot theirselves in the foot and ruined the entire program... hopefully, a new decade and some fresh faces will do better.
Scrappy

Kingsport, TN

#23 Feb 2, 2013
A successful football program will require:

1. A new stadium
2. A winning record
3. Support from not only the students, but the CITY and surrounding area.(even 15,000 students in attendance won't fill a stadium.....if even a fourth of the students show up, you're talking less than 4,000)
4. School Tradition/Lore

Costs are going to be HIGH because real estate ain't cheap...scholarships and recruiting isn't cheap either. Promotion and marketing isn't cheap....not to mention, the game schedule is going to be in fierce competition with UT and other area favorites. Basically, I expect the costs to run at a $1.5 million to 2 million/year loss....unless someone gets creative.
Trisha

Kingsport, TN

#24 Feb 5, 2013
lulz wrote:
Again, those that voted before are long gone. New students, new president. Get over your poor pitiful I'm a poor student mindset. Most of us have already been there and done that. Don't cry a for sympathy over money you'd piss away at the club on Thursday nights. Your voice for them is invalid. That being said, I'm willing to bet that over 80% of the students going there are riding student loans, lottery scholarships, grants, mommy and daddy paying for it, or other types of federal aid. So therefore they won't even miss the extra 125.. Just something for them to complain about.
Also I find it funny the hefty chick that was complaining about it on WHJL and how it was money for food and rent was sitting there drinking a giant Starbucks coffee.. If she needed money that much she doesn't need that 7 dollar coffee she was sucking down.. lmao... hypocrite college kids never cease to amuse me. They're so liberal and smart yet can't see past their own nose.
Who the hell do you think you are? Do you think you dictate to me how to spend my money just like the SGA fools? If I want to spend my money on beer rather than a football program that the majority of students don't want then I have that right.
Hell, when this program comes back most of us will be out drinking instead of the game anyway.
Trisha

Kingsport, TN

#25 Feb 5, 2013
Mr. Noland presented a good argument against the football program in a meeting with students from different majors attending last spring. One student asked about football. Mr. Noland asked by a show of hands how many students attended basketball, soccer, etc games that semester. Slim to none raised their hands. He then posed the question that if we don't already attend current sporting events then why suffer the financial burden of bringing football back?
I've graduated ETSU this year. Let me tell you, sports are dead there to the majority of the student body. They don't care. I didn't care. I wanted to learn. If you want sports go to UTK. ETSU has garnered a reputation in recent years of education first. I happen to like that.
Phillip

Knoxville, TN

#26 Feb 12, 2013
Hello everyone. I have just started a petition on change.org to urge university officials to listen to its students and get their opinion as a whole. It's insane that such a huge decision was made without a campus wide discussion and vote. Please take the time to sign the petition and let your voice be heard.

" https://www.change.org/petitions/east-tenness... ;
Theyrenotgood

Kingsport, TN

#27 Sep 4, 2015
I have talked to very few people who support the football team. IN FACT 2 of my professors even expressed their dismay with the cuts that were made in academics to fund football. ALSO THEY LOST 56-16 THEY SUCK BUT IM PAYING FOR IT? Why? Because stupid. That's why.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Williams property for school 1 hr Control of School... 4
Boones Creek Lawn 2 hr Boones creek dad 1
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 2 hr Mary E 1,482
Rick Cheek at Comcast 3 hr incognito 2
Experiences with Johnson City Juvenile Court Ju... 3 hr Trisha 3
Etsu nursing 4 hr G4you 4
7 Hermano's 14 hr Mikki Hammitt 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages