lana king

Middletown, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2014

Hi my name is LANA King. I lived in Johnson City Tenn I was 5and six years old .My name was Lana Sammons my twin sister Linda Sammons we lived on mary street y section with our mom Gertrude Sammons and sister Carole Sammons in 1955 and 1956. Would like to hear from people remember. We have good memories living there
Keystone

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2014

Judged:

lana king wrote:
Hi my name is LANA King. I lived in Johnson City Tenn I was 5and six years old .My name was Lana Sammons my twin sister Linda Sammons we lived on mary street y section with our mom Gertrude Sammons and sister Carole Sammons in 1955 and 1956. Would like to hear from people remember. We have good memories living there
I'm about 5 years younger than you, but I remember a lot about the area, but the names don't ring any bells. I bet you remember the thrill of walking up on top of Orleans street and looking at the lights of the big city! I remember Wade Bulla's as having one of the brightest lights there. That was a wonderful time to be a kid, with all the mom and pop stores on just about every corner, with BB bats and 8 cent pops, Dixie cups and Black Jack chewing gum. As I best remember, Addams grocery store was near you and a barber shop, I think it was named "Franks", where you could get a whitewall haircut at the beginning of every summer. Those were the days! Any particular folk you remember from back then? Shucks, we might be kinfolk!
Way back then there was the area we called "Potlicker" (the area of the new Keystone Projects) and Brickyard Holler not too far away. Things sure have changed, but not the memories!
In need

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

I'm not from around here and I'm looking for somthing
Ed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

It's nice here
like what

Abingdon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2014

In need wrote:
I'm not from around here and I'm looking for somthing
What is it you are looking for?
Rita Owens Bradley

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Tuesday Jul 22

I never heard of the Keystone area ever being called Potlicker. The now Carver area was called Potlicker.
Keystone

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Tuesday Jul 22

Rita Owens Bradley wrote:
I never heard of the Keystone area ever being called Potlicker. The now Carver area was called Potlicker.
Technically you are correct. The Potlicker area was not in old Keystone, but sorta between there and what is now Legion street toward Broadway. This was back in the very early '60's. Maybe there was more than one Potlicker? I guess which ever area you were in, it is a matter of what the neighbors called the other. I remember the Carver and East Fairview/ Millard street area being called something akin to N word town. Of course there was old Shacktown to the east of Highland, between the railroad bridges towards Maupin Row and Rich Acres. All that stuff was so long ago that it's hard to be 100% sure of my aged memories!
I did make a terrible mistake in my post to the OP, I had Mary Key street up in Keystone confused with Mary street, which is clear on the other side of town, my apologies! But back to Keystone..........I wasn't raised there, I was on the other side of Sell's Crossing, East Maple to be exact, but had many good friends from Keystone. It was actually one of those "other side of the tracks" things, physically, not economically or culturally! Heck, you could throw a rock between the two. My late wife was a good ol'e Keystone gal and the most wonderful person ever. Got any good Keystone stories? I'd love to hear them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tent Revival 4 hr WormyChestnut 6
Downtown and Farmers Market 5 hr WormyChestnut 4
NutriMost - New Diet Scam 6 hr Tina 130
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 7 hr TheRealZeke 9,255
Chad Williams is Ron Dykes Bed Buddy 10 hr TenuredTeacher 6
WCDE cannot be trusted!! 11 hr Linus 2
POLICE hide THP wife beater arrest 13 hr Anon 9

Search the Johnson City Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Johnson City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Johnson City People Search