wondering

Johnson City, TN

#1 Jun 5, 2013
Where in the tri-cities area are the good paying jobs??
Grindstone

Kingsport, TN

#2 Jun 5, 2013
wondering wrote:
Where in the tri-cities area are the good paying jobs??
Whew, that's a tough question. Really, the good jobs are few and far between as far as manufacturing. Just about every job now requires you to go through a temp agency before being hired, and the chances of being made permanent are pretty low. People do get jerked around under these circumstances, low pay, no benefits and being under the ax every day. You might try Staffpro (I think that's the one doing the temp hiring) as your temp agency for American Water Heater. If you are lucky enough to get made permanent, it's a good place to work. Avoid Snap-on Tools, TPI Corp. They never hire anybody permanently.
wondering

Johnson City, TN

#3 Jun 13, 2013
what temp agency hires for American Water Heater? Do they really work you for 3 months then let you go??
CONCERNED

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jun 13, 2013
staffmark in j.c. hires for am. water heater...
really

United States

#5 Jun 30, 2013
wondering wrote:
what temp agency hires for American Water Heater? Do they really work you for 3 months then let you go??
Staffmark is their temp agency and they work you as long as they want to, then let you go. There is no 3mo limit like they tell you. Been there, done that.
No Maam

Johnson City, TN

#6 Jul 1, 2013
Grindstone wrote:
<quoted text>Whew, that's a tough question. Really, the good jobs are few and far between as far as manufacturing. Just about every job now requires you to go through a temp agency before being hired, and the chances of being made permanent are pretty low. People do get jerked around under these circumstances, low pay, no benefits and being under the ax every day. You might try Staffpro (I think that's the one doing the temp hiring) as your temp agency for American Water Heater. If you are lucky enough to get made permanent, it's a good place to work. Avoid Snap-on Tools, TPI Corp. They never hire anybody permanently.
This is one of the most disgusting practices I have ever come across. Its practiced in the tri-cities and throughout the country. It allows the staffing companies to rake 20-50% of the wages Companies might be able to pay their employees. Imagine collecting $5 and hour x 40 hrs per week and muliply that by hundreds of employees. You could make $1000 and hour. Plenty of cash to spread around to keep the contacts and contracts flowing. The democrats love to talk about helping the working man but apparently see nothing wrong with this practice. Their view is a minimum wage job is STILL a job. Besides there are public benefits if you need them to subsidize your lousy pay.
Nancy

Johnson City, TN

#7 Jul 1, 2013
You can thank Bill Clinton for these temp agencies. Right now, due to Obamacare, they will not hire you on for 40 hours a week. You might as well forget it. You may get 29 hrs. so they don't have to supply you insurance. It sucks!
Grindstone

Kingsport, TN

#8 Jul 1, 2013
No Maam wrote:
<quoted text>
This is one of the most disgusting practices I have ever come across. Its practiced in the tri-cities and throughout the country. It allows the staffing companies to rake 20-50% of the wages Companies might be able to pay their employees. Imagine collecting $5 and hour x 40 hrs per week and muliply that by hundreds of employees. You could make $1000 and hour. Plenty of cash to spread around to keep the contacts and contracts flowing. The democrats love to talk about helping the working man but apparently see nothing wrong with this practice. Their view is a minimum wage job is STILL a job. Besides there are public benefits if you need them to subsidize your lousy pay.
I agree 100%. Next thing you know the temp agencies will have a company store and pay in script! I don't know whether to cal them temporary permanent jobs or permanent temporary jobs. One thing for certain, nobody can make a good living working that way. Have you seen the insurance they offer? Pitiful, to say the least. There is no way a worker can afford such lousy insurance. Yep, public benefits: you make just enough money to not qualify. It sux!
blah

Hickory, NC

#9 Mar 10, 2014
wondering wrote:
what temp agency hires for American Water Heater? Do they really work you for 3 months then let you go??
or nit even that depending on how far away u stay from whore tracy is all up to her who stays stay away from they she devil and yoy might get lucky and get to stay because she's a devil that gets rid if people. who work and keep the lazy ones who jiss her ass and miss day i don't see hiw she still there hiw she lies about American water heatersvsaying they want to get rid of u and the you can't come back for a yr cause the uniin won't let u but brings ones back after missing days and let go can come back in 3 SHE'S A LAIR AND TREATS PEOPLE LIKE SHIT! GET RID IF HER AND BRING ADDECO BACK PLZ
evil E

Kingsport, TN

#10 Mar 10, 2014
blah wrote:
<quoted text> or nit even that depending on how far away u stay from whore tracy is all up to her who stays stay away from they she devil and yoy might get lucky and get to stay because she's a devil that gets rid if people. who work and keep the lazy ones who jiss her ass and miss day i don't see hiw she still there hiw she lies about American water heatersvsaying they want to get rid of u and the you can't come back for a yr cause the uniin won't let u but brings ones back after missing days and let go can come back in 3 SHE'S A LAIR AND TREATS PEOPLE LIKE SHIT! GET RID IF HER AND BRING ADDECO BACK PLZ
No wonder they got rid of you with your atrocious spelling, evident lack of education and hip hop attitude!
dont use staffmark

United States

#11 Mar 21, 2014
I got hurt working through staffmark. I still have medical bills they did not pay and that lady did not inform me ny assignment ended so I was left released from workmen comp and my savings drained. They counted me still as employed but never gave me another assigned. I couldn't find a job after like I was blacklisted. I hope they know karma is real
jay

Elkins, WV

#12 Mar 22, 2014
Don't go to Labor Ready
Terri

Johnson City, TN

#13 Jun 3, 2014
Any companies hiring where you don't have to be a temp now? Was going to try @work. Anyone worked for them?
NCTN

Mountain City, TN

#14 Jun 3, 2014
Nancy wrote:
You can thank Bill Clinton for these temp agencies. Right now, due to Obamacare, they will not hire you on for 40 hours a week. You might as well forget it. You may get 29 hrs. so they don't have to supply you insurance. It sucks!
This was going on long before the ACA (Obamacare). The lack of union protection has lead to the mistreatment of employees and employees have no recourse. Also, the free trade agreements have allowed the big companies to ship their jobs out of the country. How can we compete with $1 an hour laborers with no benefits and no environmental standards? But we want cheap products at Walmart though. We are all to blame!!!
evil E

Kingsport, TN

#15 Jun 4, 2014
Terri wrote:
Any companies hiring where you don't have to be a temp now? Was going to try @work. Anyone worked for them?
I'm sorry to say, but just about every manufacturing company makes you jump through hoops by starting out with the temp companies. It's a crap shoot. If you do a good job and happen to be needed at the time, you might be hired on permanently.@Work is a good place to start, I was eventually hired on permanently through them at a local manufacturing company. Even though the contract was supposed to be me being hired on after 90 days, it was stretched out to 9 months, but I hung in there. Good luck!
XXXX

Johnson City, TN

#16 Jun 11, 2014
elections have consequences
evil E

Kingsport, TN

#17 Jun 11, 2014
XXXX wrote:
elections have consequences
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Neither party has respect for workers. We can complain about which party started it all to no agreement, and neither is going to do anything to end it. As long as corporate rule has our "beloved" politicians in their pockets, it will continue. Just look at the hand picked puppets we have to choose from in an election. First time I saw Obama was on the Oprah Winfrey show! What a charade. Not that any other mannequin would be any better. They are all the same, from local to national politics. The only recourse is through union representation, albeit war has been declared upon it. There is a reason for that. Unions have become the last stronghold of workers rights and the government/ big business will tell you otherwise. If not for unions we would all be back to no guarantee of a reasonable work week, fair pay, human rights, etc. Wait a minute......they are all being bled to death by corporations and government cronies as I type! The only difference in politics is that the Republicans admit to it, while the Democrats leech off it. Don't depend on any politician to make a change. It works just fine for them.
worked for awh

Johnson City, TN

#18 Mar 7, 2015
I did work for AWH and Tracy is the devil and decides who will stay and who will go. I was let go for "Not meeting standards" but it was awful funny that when I called my main supervisor he informed me that he did not send an email asking for me to be removed from the assignment, it was Tracy. Staffmark lied and said the email came from him and he had just bragged about what a great job I had done and had been doing earlier that day. It is also true that they work you for 3 months and then let you go and you are not allowed to return for a year. Tracy tells you that plainly when you go for your orientation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dominions pizza 1 hr HisPrincess0911 5
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 6 hr DonotBeThatNaive 1,614
local girls (Nov '12) 22 hr Dub 14
Angel Tree Program? (Oct '12) 22 hr ihearstupitpeople 61
Thinking about moving to Johnson City (Feb '15) Sun Ricky 22
Supertalk radio, is George West gone? (Nov '15) Sun Ricky 19
Johnny Sidham that works at ACT (Dec '12) Sun Elf 3

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages