umm

Chatsworth, GA

#21 Nov 20, 2012
Samantha wrote:
<quoted text>
That seems a little high. They have a sign on the tree that tells people to only spend around 25. I usually do about 50 or so. There are thousands of kids on the tree, and this is a poorish town :)
yeah...like someone else said...they usually have clothes, shoes, jackets, and things like that on the list along with toys also.

how many clothes can you buy with 25 dollars? unless you're just buying a couple of shirts and a cheap toy then it's not possible.
caliasz

Johnson City, TN

#22 Dec 16, 2012
umm wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah...like someone else said...they usually have clothes, shoes, jackets, and things like that on the list along with toys also.
how many clothes can you buy with 25 dollars? unless you're just buying a couple of shirts and a cheap toy then it's not possible.

We spent $165 on a 12 yr old boy, and that was cheap because my husband got two new video games dirt cheap on black Friday. But we try to get one complete outfit shoes socks undies tinoggan gloves and a hoodie and a few stocking stuffers. But judging by the number of kids that didn't get adopted maybe u could get two kids and leave out some items. Honestly 12 yr old boy prob would be happy with just video games and stocking stuffers! Bottom line if all you have is $50 or even less it could buy a kid a nice present. I dont do it for the parents I do it to make a kid have a joyful holiday and to support a Christian organization. These kids will hopefully hear the gospel as well!
Peterson

Lake City, SC

#23 Dec 19, 2012
Does anyone know of any place that offers assistance with Christmas that's not to late to help us? I have 2 boys and a baby girl and we have had to move last month. We have no money for Christmas. I missed all the deadlines. Thanks
Jesus is Lord

United States

#24 Dec 19, 2012
I'lll help in any way I can. No child deserves to hurt, despite their parents choices. Email me... 7grace.abounds7@gmail.com
Peterson

Salisbury, NC

#25 Dec 20, 2012
Jesus is Lord wrote:
I'lll help in any way I can. No child deserves to hurt, despite their parents choices. Email me... 7grace.abounds7@gmail.com
. Sent an email.
Carly Mack

Visalia, CA

#26 Dec 21, 2012
I think it depends on the tree and the program. Some people are now looking at this like a wish or fantasy tree and they ask for the moon. It was traditionally used to try to make sure everyone had a nice meal and a gift under the tree. Lots of people who give are considered poor themselves or lower middle class and they cannot afford to spend $100.00 to help a child they do not know. I saw one adopt a family program where you had to give $50.00 for each family member for their Christmas dinner ($200.00 for a family of 4) plus another $150.00 per person for gifts. Another $600.00 for that same family of 4. Way more than I even spent on my kids this year. I don't think I will do an Angel Tree anymore because they expect you to spend so much. You can always drop a modestly priced toy for a younger child into the Toys for Tots box. It may or may not get to someone who really needs it. If you know a family or single Mom who is struggling, send them a gift card and don't sign your name, or go to Walmart or Kmart or some where and pay something on someone's lay-a-way. Or if you can, pay the whole thing off. At least you know these people are trying to buy for and take care of their kids. I was looking at the 2hands.org and one lady was even asking for a couple of days get-a-way vacation for her and her 5 daughters, plus a tree and decorations and presents. And maybe there are some people out there who can and will grant these wishes. Maybe I should ask for my credit cards to be paid off, or for new tires for my old car, or for my house to be paid off if people are really granting these kinds of wishes.
GingerBread

Kingsport, TN

#27 Dec 22, 2012
Woe is me!!! Woe is me!!! This is what I have been hearing lately. I am blessed with two little boys.
I do not receive child support for either one, I do not get TANF, I do not get Tenn Care (but my boys do for the next year), I receive food stamps but not the full amount.
I work and go to school. I have had my job for going on a year and a half, and I am in my ninth semester of school. My job is not glamorous and it does not pay the best but none the less I have a job, and I thank God for this job, and take pride in my work while I am there.
In order to provide a very nice Christmas for my boys and struggle less I completely redesigned my financial attributes. First I let my contract end with my mobile phone carrier, and I never renewed. Smart phones and smart phone plans alike are very expensive. I got a bundle with my cable company so I do have a home phone, internet which I have to have for school, and cable television. Still yet this comes out to be lower than my old mobile phone plan. So I still win!! I live in nice but much older small house in town. My rent is low, and the house is insulated very well which is causative to a low electric bill. I drive an old car, and it is not at all the prettiest car out there by any stretch of the imagination. Example: I have a screw driver holding my window up. But I thank God for my ugly car because it gets me and my kids from place to place. Also, I do not have a dryer so I hang our clothes and let them air dry. I could go to a rental place or something, but hanging the clothes to dry is actually nice. They smell fresh and they do not wear as quickly. Plus air drying our clothes has a dual incentive of saving me money. I shop at consignment stores, price match at Wal-Mart, and shop on eBay for deals. Since I do get a limited amount of food stamps I try very hard to buy store brand items only and shop the sales to attempt to make them last until the end of the month. Now I am a Mountain Dew fan so every now and again I fold. Just a side note, if you have not been yet to Whitney’s Closet. Whitney’s Closet is a really cool consignment clothing store that offers name brand stuff for very cheap!!! Look like a million bucks without spending it right?
Food City also offers their gas coupons which is really sweet!
I was even able to start a savings account for my oldest son!!!
These changes I have made were not at all easy but I really needed to focus more on guaranteeing that my children and I would have a secure and stable future if I were to continue to remain independent.
I do not at all see these changes as being sacrifices but the opposite is what I find to be true. My kids are happy, I am happy, and I am happy being a single and independent mom and I plan on remaining this way.
When I found that I didn't need to replace perfectly good but out dated or older items with new items, have expensive phone plans, etc...I started feeling better about myself and much less stressed out. I found that "less was more" which I hate to use such an old cliché but anyway...
My point is that there are ways that struggling families can do much, much, much more with what they already have by budgeting. As single parents or struggling families, or whatever, we need to feel empowered, confident, and motivated in our journeys through life because we have been so blessed to have these little people in our lives to love, enjoy, and nurture.
Sorry about the length!!!
God Bless and have a safe and enjoyable Christmas.
dina cortez

Hobart, IN

#28 Nov 4, 2013
is it to late to put kids on the list for angel tree
Brakes

Kingsport, TN

#29 Nov 4, 2013
I don't mean to be cruel, but a lot of parents take advantage of this Angel Tree program. Some go so far as to rely on it in spite of their income and sometimes these gifts come along with a free turkey from some other outfit. Some users shop around and take advantage of well meaning people. Don't get me wrong, but it seems to me that when an organization gets involved, strange things happen with who gets and who needs. It sometimes comes down to "adopt a temporary bastard". Sure it makes you feel like you have done your yearly good deed. I say, cut out the middle man. Everyone knows a family that really needs the help. Why not help them all the time instead of a one time gift? I dare any of you to tell me a one time gift means more than this. I'm not saying The Angel Tree is a bad thing, far from it. Please do give if you wish, but remember it shouldn't end there.
Brakes

Kingsport, TN

#30 Nov 4, 2013
GingerBread wrote:
Woe is me!!! Woe is me!!! This is what I have been hearing lately. I am blessed with two little boys.
I do not receive child support for either one, I do not get TANF, I do not get Tenn Care (but my boys do for the next year), I receive food stamps but not the full amount.
I work and go to school. I have had my job for going on a year and a half, and I am in my ninth semester of school. My job is not glamorous and it does not pay the best but none the less I have a job, and I thank God for this job, and take pride in my work while I am there.
In order to provide a very nice Christmas for my boys and struggle less I completely redesigned my financial attributes. First I let my contract end with my mobile phone carrier, and I never renewed. Smart phones and smart phone plans alike are very expensive. I got a bundle with my cable company so I do have a home phone, internet which I have to have for school, and cable television. Still yet this comes out to be lower than my old mobile phone plan. So I still win!! I live in nice but much older small house in town. My rent is low, and the house is insulated very well which is causative to a low electric bill. I drive an old car, and it is not at all the prettiest car out there by any stretch of the imagination. Example: I have a screw driver holding my window up. But I thank God for my ugly car because it gets me and my kids from place to place. Also, I do not have a dryer so I hang our clothes and let them air dry. I could go to a rental place or something, but hanging the clothes to dry is actually nice. They smell fresh and they do not wear as quickly. Plus air drying our clothes has a dual incentive of saving me money. I shop at consignment stores, price match at Wal-Mart, and shop on eBay for deals. Since I do get a limited amount of food stamps I try very hard to buy store brand items only and shop the sales to attempt to make them last until the end of the month. Now I am a Mountain Dew fan so every now and again I fold. Just a side note, if you have not been yet to Whitney’s Closet. Whitney’s Closet is a really cool consignment clothing store that offers name brand stuff for very cheap!!! Look like a million bucks without spending it right?
Food City also offers their gas coupons which is really sweet!
I was even able to start a savings account for my oldest son!!!
These changes I have made were not at all easy but I really needed to focus more on guaranteeing that my children and I would have a secure and stable future if I were to continue to remain independent.
I do not at all see these changes as being sacrifices but the opposite is what I find to be true. My kids are happy, I am happy, and I am happy being a single and independent mom and I plan on remaining this way.
When I found that I didn't need to replace perfectly good but out dated or older items with new items, have expensive phone plans, etc...I started feeling better about myself and much less stressed out. I found that "less was more" which I hate to use such an old cliché but anyway...
My point is that there are ways that struggling families can do much, much, much more with what they already have by budgeting. As single parents or struggling families, or whatever, we need to feel empowered, confident, and motivated in our journeys through life because we have been so blessed to have these little people in our lives to love, enjoy, and nurture.
Sorry about the length!!!
God Bless and have a safe and enjoyable Christmas.
I applaud you! Keep up what you are doing!
Want to help

Cookeville, TN

#31 Nov 5, 2013
Where can I donate Christmas presents?
Christmas help

Jonesborough, TN

#33 Nov 29, 2013
Hello, I live in jonesborough TN. I am looking for any kind of Christmas help for my 3 kids. We have had a very rough year. I draw disability and after I pay all my bills I have no money left for Christmas. I've tries local charities & churches but I'm either to late or they have taken all they can help. If any help is possible it would be a blessing. Thanks
sad

Johnson City, TN

#34 Nov 29, 2013
I can tell you I have seen both sides of this.My husband had a 6 figure job and lost it,but guess what after the its ripping us up and a child almost dying and having to pay medical bills it didn't help
I understand that some people take advantage of these things and its wrong disgusting actually but they have to answer for that,every year I adopted an angel,toys for tots,st judes you name it and I don't regret it at all and never will.I loved the feeling of helping,it isn't about the money it is opening your heart and this year I feel it from the other side,9 months I found a job after applying to at least 100 ,I start next week but it won't get the gifts.Alot of people are hurting and unless you are that person don't assume I used to do that myself and I am ashamed of myself.We had a house started and couldn't build it due to medical bills but that's ok life happens and I am thankful to have 5 healthy children,now that I don't have that money I am now assumed to be on welfare because of our amount of children well I'm not,we are struggling to pay bills but my kids are everything to me but people assume otherwise.Will my kids have gifts I don't know how much but they will be happy regardless because I made a point when we had money to not spoil them and always teach them what Christmas is and I am so thankful I did because I don't know how well have anything but things could be worse,I'm just saying if u want to help there is always a way,maybe be a layaway angel for someone or volunteer at the childrensnhospital,we deliver toys and stuffed animals,my son did this with me and caroled and he loved it,he cried over seeing hoe happy they were,I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas
sad

Johnson City, TN

#35 Nov 29, 2013
Christmas help wrote:
Hello, I live in jonesborough TN. I am looking for any kind of Christmas help for my 3 kids. We have had a very rough year. I draw disability and after I pay all my bills I have no money left for Christmas. I've tries local charities & churches but I'm either to late or they have taken all they can help. If any help is possible it would be a blessing. Thanks
How old are your children?I can't helps with new things but if you don't care if its used I may have some clothes or baby things.
Mom of 3

Jonesborough, TN

#36 Nov 30, 2013
sad wrote:
<quoted text>
How old are your children?I can't helps with new things but if you don't care if its used I may have some clothes or baby things.
my boys are Ages 10 & 7 and my little girl is 19 months. I would Appreciate any help. Thank you
Envied Southern

Johnson City, TN

#37 Dec 1, 2013
Mom of 3 wrote:
<quoted text> my boys are Ages 10 & 7 and my little girl is 19 months. I would Appreciate any help. Thank you
I will check but our kids are so close,mine are 10,6
soon to be three and my twins are 17 months &#55357;&#56842;
Cookeville Mommy

Cookeville, TN

#38 Dec 4, 2013
I am a single, disabled mother of three and am struggling this year I keep our rent & electric bills paid. My ex-husband does not pay the court ordered child support & has been absent from our kids life(by his choice) for almost 5yrs. Financially there is just no way I will be able to buy any gifts for my children this year. I have put aside my pride and made the decision to reach out for help. It breaks my heart to think of my children having to accept that there will not be any presents for them on Christmas morning. They shouldn't have to suffer the harsh reality of my limited income. They have to go throughout the year without any extras, yet they never complain. They are amazing kids with great compassion for others. They have even been trying to make homemade gifts for each other with things around the house so they will have gifts to open. I think they realize that I have no money for presents. They haven't even made a Santa list. I have seen toy donation boxes around town, but I don't know how to get my children on an Angel Tree or who to contact about it. If you might know of any Angel Trees or agencies who offer help in the Cookeville area I could contact, I'd greatly appreciate the information. I've got my fingers crossed & am continuing to pray to God for his guidance. Please remember us in your prayers & may God's grace bless us all this holiday season!
tis the season

Johnson City, TN

#39 Dec 8, 2013
Hi Cookeville mom! Have you tried posting on a topix board closer to your home?

Hope you find what you are looking for and Merry Christmas!
tis the season

Johnson City, TN

#40 Dec 8, 2013
When looking for a family to help, we usually ask at a reputable charity or church and buy for one family.
The way the Angel tree works and the Salvation Army is a bit....well, you know, we feel more confident knowing what we buy will end up in the right place.

Ask one of the smaller churches also. They usually know of families who could use a boost.
Jsisso

Norfolk, NE

#41 Oct 16, 2014
WOW!!!!!! I'm going to go out on a limb and say this has to be the most unkind, unChristian post I have read in a very long time. Christmas is for giving unconditionally. Children do not see their situation as we do. They see presents and fun and they are excited! When you ask a child " what do you want for Christmas " they are going to answer. They have no idea of the cost. It's very difficult for a parent to ask or be asked if their children can be placed on the list. But they do much with humble heart for their children. No matter what the families financial situation, the Christmas Tree is about the children, and the giving of gifts is represented as Gods gift to us and gave his only son, Jesus Christ, unconditionally. I am going to add you on my prayer list and ask the Holly Spirit will mend your harden heart. Peace be with you.-Jsisso

honest opinion wrote:
what irritates me about the Angel Tree program is the toys that the kids put on their "wish list". Yes, they get needed items such as coats, shoes, etc. but the kids who put expensive gaming systems, iPads, etc. on their list.. for real? I bet a lot of two-income familes can't buy such items for their children. I agree with the previous post.. put food under the tree, learn to be thrifty all year long...I feel the Angel Tree program is abused by dead-beat parents who would rather drink or smoke away their Christmas money rather than put it away for their children... and don't give me attitude about my comment.. you know I'm right.(don't expect us to fund your Christmas for your 6 kids, all under the age of 10, all with different daddies and you can't afford daycare so you can work.. its called birth control and self control). I think the program needs to be stricter and you have to prove your need.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Franklin woods hospital (Mar '11) 14 min racerjon 17
Convicted sexual predator teacher Kent Holcombe (May '13) 39 min Better than you 17
Stephanie Ferrell (Coonie) 9 hr Concerned grandpa... 1
Dermatologist 10 hr help 1
Bowman Jewelers Ads (Jun '14) 13 hr Jessie 8
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare (Nov '14) 14 hr richlandshumanists 84
Chris And Amy Williamsen 14 hr watergurl 5
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 19 hr delilah 728
More from around the web

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]