Queer marriage banned!
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Just The Fax

Johnson City, TN

#1 May 8, 2012
It's about time the people spoke, and it is established. NC voted down gay marriage, and it's about time! We can't expect the legislators to do the honest thing, being that they may "offend" minority voters. I'm glad the citizens spoke up with more balls than the lame ass representatives will. Gays, take it to heart...your gig is up! Congrats to the good folk in NC! Gays, we are tired of your whining. The more you go on with it, the more people are going to react. Enough of the "poor little me" bullspit! The tide is turning and the populace has decided enough is enough!
DoesntReallyMatt er

White Pine, TN

#2 May 9, 2012
Wow man you sure do have some serious animosity towards gay people. Where you beat up by a gay kid in school? Did your spouse leave you for a member of the same sex? Obviously something happened where you feel you were bested or done wrong by a gay person.

To all you good god fearin folks -

Do you seriously believe your god will judge someone for loving a member of the same sex but will not judge you for hating someone you've never even met?
kasey

Hendersonville, NC

#3 May 9, 2012
DoesntReallyMatter wrote:
Wow man you sure do have some serious animosity towards gay people. Where you beat up by a gay kid in school? Did your spouse leave you for a member of the same sex? Obviously something happened where you feel you were bested or done wrong by a gay person.

Do you seriously believe your god will judge someone for loving a member of the same sex but will not judge you for hating someone you've never even met?
you can have different beliefs than someone without hating them.. it's weird to me that gays are no longer happy tolerance anymore.. they want to be accepted.. it's never going to happen.. I don't judge gay people, it's not my place.. But I don't agree that their lifestyle is right and I never will..
Hoss

Johnson City, TN

#4 May 9, 2012
Yeah, the OP has some issues.

And with regards to the "...good god fearin folks -"
I would say that if you consider yourself a "good god fearin folk" you would consider the Bible to be the word of God. God's thoughts on homosexuality isn't ambiguous. It isn't cloudy. It isn't up for mis-interpretation. It's crystal clear. In the Old Testament, he doesn't just call homosexuality something "I don't want you to do..." God refers to it as an "abomination". He destroyed entire ancient cities because of their lust for homosexual relations. In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul, infused with the Holy Spirit, writes in 1 Corinthians 6:9 "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will NOT (emphasis mine) inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men". It doesn't get much more clear than that in my eyes.

So to answer your question, yes, God WILL judge someone for loving someone of the same sex.

But you do make a valid point in an unintentional way...God will ALSO judge those who hate and judge others. Separating and disapproving of someone's sin, while still loving the sinner, is a difficult task placed on Christians, and it's one that most Christians struggle with.
spfu

United States

#5 May 9, 2012
what about people who divorce and re-marry? That is adultery according to biblical standards. Also this bill didn't just ban gay marriage (which was already illegal anyway). It took away civil union and partnership rights from any couple who weren't married. So if you have lived with your common law spouse for years and something happens to them, you have no say so in what happens to children you may be raising together, property in their name, last wishes, etc. Under the new law you wouldn't even have the "right" to visit them in the hospital. It also takes away civil union benefits in state jobs. So if you work for the state and your fiance has been on your insurance plan for the duration, this law voids that until you are married.

The law doesn't exclusively forbid these things to homosexuals. It reaches out to All unmarried couples.
DoesntReallyMatt er

White Pine, TN

#6 May 9, 2012
To Kasey, Hoss, & spfu
Wow, I'm very pleasantly surprised by your replies.
Thanks for taking the time to make them civil, well thought out, and constructive.

Hoss,
I do not consider myself a god fearing person though I do try to live a good life and leave others to do the same as they see fit. My comment was not meant to be disrespectful to those that do practice Christianity or to start a theological debate but I would ask this based on your reply. Since according to Christianity homosexuality is a sin just as hating and judging others is a sin, will a Christian who sins by failing to disapprove of the sin but love the sinner and/or is judgmental gain God's approval and entrance to heaven any more readily than one who commits the sin of homosexuality?

I'm neither for or against gay marriage but there is one aspect of banning it that causes me pause and it has nothing to do with religion.

It sort of seems unfair to deny tax paying citizens of America certain rights or benefits based solely on disapproval of their lifestyle when we are willing to give them to illegal aliens who have never done a thing to contribute to our society who most people also disapprove of.
duh

Salisbury, NC

#7 May 9, 2012
Has anyone considered separating church and state? The government shouldnt legislate morality. That's not what its there for. Why do people care if same sex couples get married? Dont the lawmakers have anything more important on their desks? And you don't have to agree with someone else's lifestyle but God would want us to be tolerant and good to everyone yes? Soon, the government will control your every move if the voters keep this ignorance up. My guess is it will be repealed and passed. Don't worry. I'm sure they will pass another ridiculous law that prohibits you from being who you are and living life how you chose.
Just The Fax

Johnson City, TN

#8 May 9, 2012
duh wrote:
Has anyone considered separating church and state? The government shouldnt legislate morality. That's not what its there for. Why do people care if same sex couples get married? Dont the lawmakers have anything more important on their desks? And you don't have to agree with someone else's lifestyle but God would want us to be tolerant and good to everyone yes? Soon, the government will control your every move if the voters keep this ignorance up. My guess is it will be repealed and passed. Don't worry. I'm sure they will pass another ridiculous law that prohibits you from being who you are and living life how you chose.
Maybe you are missing the point. The "government" is afraid to speak on the subject, so the "people" voted, not their lame representatives. The people have spoken!!!!!!! Many of you who want to drag religion into the converstion have little knowledge on the subject, only the retoric of the gays. Wrong is wrong, no matter how you try to smooth it over with stupidity.
duh

Charlotte, NC

#9 May 9, 2012
Just The Fax wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you are missing the point. The "government" is afraid to speak on the subject, so the "people" voted, not their lame representatives. The people have spoken!!!!!!! Many of you who want to drag religion into the converstion have little knowledge on the subject, only the retoric of the gays. Wrong is wrong, no matter how you try to smooth it over with stupidity.
Many of those people didn't even know what they were voting for. What's wrong is the government having little bounds as to where their reach stops. Next thing you know, they'll be telling you how to run your business or how to raise your children. What will those people speak of then?
duh

Charlotte, NC

#10 May 9, 2012
Nevermind. I know I'm wasting my time. You can't argue anything new to hardly anyone around here. Out here, we are at least 20 years behind culturally. It's sad. Nonetheless, a waste of time. Good day.
DoesntReallyMatt er

White Pine, TN

#11 May 9, 2012
Just The Fax wrote:
<quoted text>Many of you who want to drag religion into the converstion have little knowledge on the subject, only the retoric of the gays. Wrong is wrong, no matter how you try to smooth it over with stupidity.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and it's not my place or intention to try and change your mind.
Now, without putting religion in the equation, who are you or anyone else to decide based on your opinion what is right or wrong for someone else when it comes to something that has no real effect on anyone except the consenting adults engaging in it?

I mean do I have the right to tell you or anyone else they can't eat cauliflower or turnip greens just because I find them disgusting? I certainly don't think I do. I also don't think that's something the government should decide for you or anyone else either.
Jeb

Mountain City, TN

#13 May 9, 2012
If you allow men to marry men and women to marry women, then men and women should be able to marry into polygamy, sheep, donkeys, etc. Perversion is perversion.
DoesntReallyMatt er

White Pine, TN

#14 May 9, 2012
Jeb wrote:
If you allow men to marry men and women to marry women, then men and women should be able to marry into polygamy, sheep, donkeys, etc. Perversion is perversion.
Yikes dude, same sex marriage should equal bestiality? Really?
I don't know if I can share that sentiment. I do love my companion pets, just not physically, nor has that thought ever crossed my mind.

I do have one question though, in your opinion, not your religious belief, your personal opinion what is it that makes polygamy perverse?
Jeb

Mountain City, TN

#15 May 9, 2012
<quoted text>
Yikes dude, same sex marriage should equal bestiality? Really?
I don't know if I can share that sentiment. I do love my companion pets, just not physically, nor has that thought ever crossed my mind.
I do have one question though, in your opinion, not your religious belief, your personal opinion what is it that makes polygamy perverse?
Because I believe that it keeps a woman from being an independent person. If you look at traditional polygamy, the wives are selected for the husbands, and at a very young age. Too young. I actually believe that polygamy has less to do with religion and more to do with the man's controlling nature, much like a rapist needs to control his victim. That, in my opinion, is perverse.
DoesntReallyMatt er

White Pine, TN

#16 May 9, 2012
Jeb wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I believe that it keeps a woman from being an independent person. If you look at traditional polygamy, the wives are selected for the husbands, and at a very young age. Too young. I actually believe that polygamy has less to do with religion and more to do with the man's controlling nature, much like a rapist needs to control his victim. That, in my opinion, is perverse.
Very interesting and intelligently posted answer. You make a good point and I can't say I disagree with that perspective. Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to ask one more question, it's not meant to be baiting, I'm just curious and looking for food for thought. Again in your personal opinion would it still be perverse if a man had more than one wife or a woman had more than one husband if all parties were consenting adults and the marriages were not prearranged but were solely the combined uncoerced wishes of all parties wanting to be married?
Backward Hypocrites

Franklin, TN

#17 May 10, 2012
Jeb wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it is all about what "YOU" believe because you are the morale conscience for all of society. I think the OP who titled this thread made it clear wih the word "queer" what their real thought process was. In a place like North Carolina where education is not that important its ok to be bigoted and discriminatory to anyone who isn't like you. I'm sure if they were allowed they would have tried to put owning blacks back on the ballot at some point. And to turn this into some kind of religeous issue makes me want to vomit as most so-called "christians" are some of the most hypocritical pieces of garbage I've ever met. Take that fairy tale bible stuff back to the dark ages where it belongs, this is about people's basic rights to co-exist and be free to live how they want. In 30 years people will look back on this and think how stupid and close-minded people acted, much as how we look back on slavery today.
Jeb

Mountain City, TN

#18 May 10, 2012
<quoted text>
Very interesting and intelligently posted answer. You make a good point and I can't say I disagree with that perspective. Thanks for the reply.
I'd like to ask one more question, it's not meant to be baiting, I'm just curious and looking for food for thought. Again in your personal opinion would it still be perverse if a man had more than one wife or a woman had more than one husband if all parties were consenting adults and the marriages were not prearranged but were solely the combined uncoerced wishes of all parties wanting to be married?
Lot of ifs there. On the surface you would think that scenario would be a case of no harm, no foul. But fact is that it will not work. Someone would still have to be the domineering force. We are just wired that way. There would be a pecking order established. And I truly do not believe that someone, consenting or not, could enter in to that type of relationship and be mentally where they should be. Love and jealousy are powerful forces and i do not believe that a solid, healthy relationship can be built that way. Of course, that is my opinion. Don't expect everyone to agree. Just my point of view.
Jeb

Mountain City, TN

#19 May 10, 2012
Backward Hypocrites wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it is all about what "YOU" believe because you are the morale conscience for all of society. I think the OP who titled this thread made it clear wih the word "queer" what their real thought process was. In a place like North Carolina where education is not that important its ok to be bigoted and discriminatory to anyone who isn't like you. I'm sure if they were allowed they would have tried to put owning blacks back on the ballot at some point. And to turn this into some kind of religeous issue makes me want to vomit as most so-called "christians" are some of the most hypocritical pieces of garbage I've ever met. Take that fairy tale bible stuff back to the dark ages where it belongs, this is about people's basic rights to co-exist and be free to live how they want. In 30 years people will look back on this and think how stupid and close-minded people acted, much as how we look back on slavery today.
Hey, I am nobody's conscience. I stated at the end that it was my opinion. I am just talking about me. Get that chip of your shoulder. But more disturbing is the fact that you don't want people to be free and co-exist unless they think like you. Sounds like you would like a society where everyone thought he same way and have no opinion of there own. And by the way, education is very important in North Carolina. Some of the finest universities in the nation are there. Quit stereotyping.
Jeb

Mountain City, TN

#20 May 10, 2012
*their*
bfreeeeee

Kingsport, TN

#21 May 10, 2012
Good ole NC--where its still ok to marry your cousin, just not your gay cousin! Come on people!! Why does it matter so much to some of you what other people choose to do with their lives? They are not doing it in your bedroom! I know for a fact that MY GOD would never look down on love of any form. Love is a beautiful thing. In any shape or form. What right do any of us have to pass such judgements on others? Some of you claim to be christians, yet are so hypocritical and judgemental it amazes me. What happend to "thou shall not judge lest he be judged"? And its still not being called marriage for gays, its called a civil union. Still different no matter what word you give it. Still being seperated. Raise your kids right and they will know how to handle it. What if the beginning of time was the complete opposite and there were 2 Adams instead of an Eve? Then it would be the other way around and all the men and women would be the ones fighting for their rights. So why put down Gay people for wanting the same? Some of these people have been together just as long as alot of married couples have. They deserve to be able to take care of each other and share life and health insurance the same way. They are people to, they hurt and breathe air the same way as everybody else does. You cant always help who you love. Love is a natural thing that if you are lucky enough to find, you better hold on to. I am a mother of 2 and have been married to a man for 12 years. I have gay family members that I watch all of this mess bring down and it disgusts me. There are WAY bigger problems in this country then what Gay people are doing. They deserve the same rights as everybody else. No matter where they live or what state. Open your minds up people and stop trying to judge others and worry so much about what they do in their personal lives. You cant walk out your door these days without immediatley being judged for something by someone. Your to fat, to skinny, to gay, to much makeup, not enough makeup, shirt to short, boobs to big. GOOD LORD@!!!!!!! Love each other people. Leave the rest for god to judge. Thats all that really matters in the end anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meetings for Atheists in SWVA/NETN 1 hr sosrs 42
Debate: Gay Marriage - Johnson City, TN (Jul '10) 2 hr Christian C Chris... 306
Ignoring red light camera citations. (May '14) 5 hr dont 22
Illegal Search By Police In Tennessee 7/4/13 (Jul '13) 6 hr police corruption 25
Confederate Flag Hooplah 9 hr drooling autotrope 24
News Marriage equality rally draws large crowd 9 hr Bruce 29
Top Heavy Washington County Schools Central Office 9 hr Tick Tock 6
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 10 hr DonotBeThatNaive 865
More from around the web

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages