Planning to attend ETSU
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
KHilton

Murfreesboro, TN

#1 Nov 28, 2010
I'm an out of state student and I'm planning to stay on ETSU's campus starting the fall semester of 2011. Any comments on the school? And what night life and activities are there in Johnson City. Thanks
Newcomer

Jonesborough, TN

#2 Dec 7, 2010
I'm currently attending ETSU and enjoying it very much. Take note, it is not a party school. Most of the people there value their education too much, many are from lower income families. There are lots of things to do in Johnson City, go to The Loafer.com online and you see how much there is to offer. There are a lot of student activities on campus as well.
an etsu student

Gate City, VA

#3 Dec 7, 2010
if you are apart of greek life, then there is much to do in night life haha.
KHilton

Murfreesboro, TN

#4 Dec 8, 2010
Newcomer wrote:
I'm currently attending ETSU and enjoying it very much. Take note, it is not a party school. Most of the people there value their education too much, many are from lower income families. There are lots of things to do in Johnson City, go to The Loafer.com online and you see how much there is to offer. There are a lot of student activities on campus as well.
hey thanks, are you sure u spelled that website's name right?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#5 Dec 8, 2010
It's http://www.theloaferonline.com/Pages/mainfr.h...

I hope you enjoy ETSU. I'm a student there and it's a decent school.
Newcomer

Jonesborough, TN

#6 Dec 9, 2010
Yes it is spelled correctly you might have to add Johnson City, sometimes you will get shoe offerings lol.
Student

Ringgold, GA

#7 Dec 9, 2010
ETSU is a great school. There isn't a huge party scene, but there are some chill places. ETSU Greek life is a joke, if you're looking for that kind of thing I'd check out UT or MTSU.
6541sdt

AOL

#8 Dec 9, 2010
I would be careful about going to ETSU. The school has a fairly high crime rate, a lot of problems with drugs and alcohol, and even assaults! Also, many of the staff are not very helpful...and the college, with all this, seems concerned most about...SMOKING!! Yes, a ban on tobacco on campus! Seems like they have a case of misplaced priorites at times to me!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#9 Dec 11, 2010
Don't worry about what the last person said. The crime rate is relatively low to average for a state college.

http://www.etsu.edu/dps/safetysecurity/stats_...

Compare that with any other university of similar size and it will be comparable. Compared to the other two universities I've been to this school is incredibly helpful. You do need to be an adult and figure out what to do, but when you get to the right person they will go out of their way to make things easy for you. If you do smoke, don't worry just don't bother others when your smoking and no one will bother you.
KHilton

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Dec 11, 2010
Thanks guys!
no i dont smoke. i did hear recently about some girl gettin assaulted but then it turned to be she was lying about it. is there anything besides on-campus activities in the area? like any clubs or bowling alleys or movies?
Newcomer

Jonesborough, TN

#11 Dec 12, 2010
There are two bowling alleys in Johnson City. Holiday Lanes is probably the closest and they have leagues all year round. There are many movie theaters as well, a muti-plex not far from the Johnson City Mall. I love it up here, there is always something to do. Lots of music and wholesome events. The June Blue Plum Music Festival in downtown JC is a lot of fun and a great free way to experience the local talent. We have a theater group at ETSU called The Patchwork Players consisting of a lot of talented people and they always accept new members and invite all to audition.
6541sdt

AOL

#12 Dec 14, 2010
mcity80 wrote:
Don't worry about what the last person said. The crime rate is relatively low to average for a state college.
http://www.etsu.edu/dps/safetysecurity/stats_...
Compare that with any other university of similar size and it will be comparable. Compared to the other two universities I've been to this school is incredibly helpful. You do need to be an adult and figure out what to do, but when you get to the right person they will go out of their way to make things easy for you. If you do smoke, don't worry just don't bother others when your smoking and no one will bother you.
Actually...what i said is all true....drugs and crime are higher than generally reported there...and as for the comments about their smoking law, it is WRONG!! If security, or staff or any faculty catch you smoking on campus, you are in BIG trouble!! Also....transfer assistance, especially the disabilites people, are a JOKE!!!

Since: Sep 10

Sevierville, TN

#13 Dec 14, 2010
I am an etsu student. I like the college better than UT, where have spent quite a bit of time (my brother was a UT student and he would bring me to class with him.) I have heard that our crime rates are higher, but I've never had anything happen to me. Most crimes can be prevented by following common sense in any case. We have some ridiculously stupid professors, but we also have some rather intelligent and witty professors (such as Mary Blackman, who teaches the intro to music course). My main complaints have been with the financial aid department. They don't seem to be very well prepared for their jobs, but it could just be the high number of calls that they receive, or simply because my situation is unusual. During the day there is plenty to explore if you enjoy gallivanting. I've passed several clubs while exploring but have not yet managed to check out any of them, since I'm not yet old enough to get in. As for activities, JC is only located 100 miles from Knoxville and less than 50 from North Carolina, so if you can't find what you want on campus, you won't have far to go. Hope you have a great time!
Katy Head

Murfreesboro, TN

#14 Dec 17, 2010
What is the black to white ratio up there?
slim jim

United States

#15 Dec 20, 2010
60% fail rate... enough said
What do you think

Jonesborough, TN

#16 Dec 24, 2010
slim jim wrote:
60% fail rate... enough said
The fail or pass rate is set by the students who either care about their education or don't. It is not a reflection on the teachers or the school. Higher priced universities may have a higher graduation rate but it has to do with what the cost is. Those paying 40-50 thousand a year are more serious about the money they would lose.
Drake

Bybee, TN

#17 Dec 31, 2010
Honestly, I go there now because I couldn't afford out of state. Life here is pretty slow. It's a decent town, medium sized. If you were in state, I'd say, "Sure! Go for it." However, being out of state (unless you're a bordering state?), I wouldn't pay the huge hike in tuition. I've never had any foul encounters on campus. The crime rate shouldn't be that bad. The area around campus is very safe. The financial aid office is awful. They aren't very proactive, and you really have to keep tabs on your "goldlink" to make sure that everything is going as planned. However I feel you should know that for this area, ETSU is known for accepting ANYONE.
What do you think

Jonesborough, TN

#18 Jan 2, 2011
Drake wrote:
Honestly, I go there now because I couldn't afford out of state. Life here is pretty slow. It's a decent town, medium sized. If you were in state, I'd say, "Sure! Go for it." However, being out of state (unless you're a bordering state?), I wouldn't pay the huge hike in tuition. I've never had any foul encounters on campus. The crime rate shouldn't be that bad. The area around campus is very safe. The financial aid office is awful. They aren't very proactive, and you really have to keep tabs on your "goldlink" to make sure that everything is going as planned. However I feel you should know that for this area, ETSU is known for accepting ANYONE.
you are right on about the fin aid office. I made about 20 in person trips through out the summer to ensure everythig was good and was told over and over it was all goo. When it came time for the money, oops, there was a problem. It was fixed quickly but it is just the fact that there was one that really pissed me off after being told all was ok.Other than that, good experiences at ETSU.
Cbailey2

Knoxville, TN

#19 Sep 19, 2012
I have been at ETSU for 3 years now. At any college, you will have a teacher that you dislike, so the teaching has nothing to do with the fail rate. If you are lazy, then college isn't for you. As for the crime rate, I walk around at night and I've never encountered anyone hurtful. There are also big red posts on campus that have an emergency button that you can press if you feel in danger and the whole campus makes loud noises. We have a great nursing school, and a great music department. I am a music major, and ETSU has been the best thing for me! There are lots of things to do at night. We have a Carmike about 5 minutes from campus, Drive in theatres, and a 3$ theatre near campus a well. Just like any other place, we have a couple clubs that suite everyone. ETSU is a great school and you can always find something to get involved in! I reccommend it!!
interested

Abingdon, VA

#20 Sep 21, 2012
KHilton wrote:
I'm an out of state student and I'm planning to stay on ETSU's campus starting the fall semester of 2011. Any comments on the school? And what night life and activities are there in Johnson City. Thanks
I must have went to a different ETSU than you all because I remember a pretty big party scene

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Washington County Elected Officals Who Are Deve... 1 hr Truth Matters 1
PC Repair 3 hr PC gamer 18
Dentist in Johnson City Tn (Mar '13) 9 hr Toppp 7
Washington County School Study 11 hr Curious 3
crystal dykes 13 hr hummmm.. 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Tennessee ... (Oct '10) 17 hr Blue 2 89
Washington County Sports Complex 19 hr Weird one 3

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages