Comcast user

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jan 27, 2014
Comcast is the worst company I have ever done business with. When we changed our phone to Comcast we bought an approved modem from Best Buy. Works fine, but Comcast will not stop charging us for using THEIR MODEM! This has been going on for a year +. I have called x5. We wrote a letter with a copy of the receipt showing we bought the modem along with the bar code from the bottom. DID NOT HELP. I HAND CARRIED BOX AND RECEIPT TO THEIR LOCAL OFFICE .I helped for a few months. NOW THE CHARGE IS BACK!!! This month our bill went from $130 to 170 and we made no changes Comcast has our area locked up. They are also going to start charging you by how much internet you use by the looks of their website.
What happen to Johnson City starting their own cable and internet company? We need some competition.
no matter what

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jan 27, 2014
Comcast user wrote:
Comcast is the worst company I have ever done business with. When we changed our phone to Comcast we bought an approved modem from Best Buy. Works fine, but Comcast will not stop charging us for using THEIR MODEM! This has been going on for a year +. I have called x5. We wrote a letter with a copy of the receipt showing we bought the modem along with the bar code from the bottom. DID NOT HELP. I HAND CARRIED BOX AND RECEIPT TO THEIR LOCAL OFFICE .I helped for a few months. NOW THE CHARGE IS BACK!!! This month our bill went from $130 to 170 and we made no changes Comcast has our area locked up. They are also going to start charging you by how much internet you use by the looks of their website.
What happen to Johnson City starting their own cable and internet company? We need some competition.
We had the same thing happen to us regarding a modem charge. We finally reported them to the Better Business Bureau and so far it has stopped.
right

Abingdon, VA

#3 Jan 27, 2014
I've had Comcast for years and their poor billing practices have taught me to check my monthly statements for inaccuracies. Every few months I find something in there I either shouldn't be charged for or was overcharged for and have to call them. From reading on the internet, this seems to be pretty standard billing practices for a lot of big cable companies. I guess they figure you can't leave them if they're the only game in town unless you want to give up some services. And even if you find some competitor, they're probably doing the same thing.
Competition Is Needed

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jan 27, 2014
right wrote:
I've had Comcast for years and their poor billing practices have taught me to check my monthly statements for inaccuracies. Every few months I find something in there I either shouldn't be charged for or was overcharged for and have to call them. From reading on the internet, this seems to be pretty standard billing practices for a lot of big cable companies. I guess they figure you can't leave them if they're the only game in town unless you want to give up some services. And even if you find some competitor, they're probably doing the same thing.
I have heard Comcast is terrible, but I have Charter and they aren't much better. Every month I have to check my statement carefully for surprise charges. I wish we had competition and then maybe both companies would be forced to step up their customer satisfaction to stay in this area.
SayWhat

Knoxville, TN

#5 Jan 27, 2014
Dish isn't much better. I recently upgraded my receiver to an HD model, supposed to be free. Installer came out, put a new dish up, and replaced the receiver box under the TV. Within a day, it started giving me a message that the heat was too high, and it would shut down until it cooled.
Now this was the same location (open shelf) that the old one worked fine for years, so I called DISH, and they said it must be bad, and would send the guy back out with a new one. They did, the old one's cooling fan simply didn't work ( you could tell once the guy plugged the new one in...you could hear it running ).
SO, my DISH bill comes weeks later on 20 January, for the billing period of 1 Feb to 1 March ( you pay ahead for service, not in arrears ). The bill had a $95 ( plus nearly $10 tax ) on it for the "free, new receiver". I called, and they said "Well, you don't have our $5/mo warranty insurance"......and I said "No...nor will I ever have it. IT'S YOUR EQUIPMENT.....I DON'T OWN IT. I will not pay to protect your stuff if it goes bad"......AND It was BAD out of the box.....not like it had been in my house for months or years.
The guy finally agrees and said "We will give you a credit on your next month's bill"....HUH ? You mean I have to fork out $105 for a bill that doesn't even START the clock for 10 days, and then wait for another month so you can credit me ?? "yes sir, that is correct".
"What happens if I DON'T pay the extra, just the normal bill ?" "Then we charge you a $7 late fee" ( for something I shouldn't have to pay in the first damn place.....ahahahaaaaaa)
"Nope....not paying that either......if I have to pay one red cent over what I should have to pay, you can come BACK out, get your new dish and receiver and shove it up your **** "
"Well, sir, you can call us back on your next bill and we can take off the $7 charge as well"......but apparently can't take off charges 10 DAYS IN ADVANCE of a billing period starting. What a hoot dealing with these idiots.
SayWhat

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jan 27, 2014
right wrote:
Yep...and that is why you NEVER want to go on their "auto-pay" deals.....the one they auto hit your card or bank account. Just way to easy for them to slip in charges and BS.
Help

United States

#7 Feb 23, 2014
Comcast, dish, or direct?
Sally

Boone, NC

#8 Feb 24, 2014
Dish.
Sam

United States

#9 Feb 24, 2014
I say direct.
Critter

United States

#10 Feb 24, 2014
They all have problems but dish by far is the best of the 3.
durrr

Abingdon, VA

#11 Feb 24, 2014
Critter wrote:
They all have problems but dish by far is the best of the 3.
But no internet right?
Debbie

United States

#12 Feb 25, 2014
I think you can get internet through dish
right

Abingdon, VA

#13 Feb 25, 2014
I think you have to get DSL through the phone company if you have dish.
Forward

United States

#14 Feb 25, 2014
Yes I don't think dish has internet but I could be wrong
TV guy

United States

#15 Feb 26, 2014
I would go with Direct and get the whole package
Had all

United States

#16 Feb 26, 2014
I would go with comcast. Even though they may be raising prices. Dish and direct is out of sight on prices.
Friend

United States

#17 Feb 28, 2014
My friend has comcast and I love it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Adult Bar Johnson City (Jul '16) 3 hr Phil McCrotch 57
Johnson City Press Going Down Hill 8 hr Marion 18
Searching - Jonesboro High School 1959 & '60 Gr... 13 hr Carolyn b 1
Johnson City Womenís March a JOKE 17 hr Doglover 4
Halliburtonís Wine and Dine Time 17 hr Disgrace 6
WQUT Format Change, Pt. 2 (Jun '11) 18 hr Cube 56
Johnson city medical center (Jan '11) Sun UraskankPE 47

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance