Woodstone Association
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Texan

Johnson City, TN

#21 Mar 8, 2013
We bought a place here and we love it. Very lovely people and we think the association is doing a great job. In spite of all the negative feedback , we find this the loveliest place in Johnson City and we intend to find out how we can make it better.
Certainly a Fool

Johnson City, TN

#22 May 19, 2013
Yes, I was foolish to not research Woodstone better before I bought a home here. Here are facts: The fees include water, sewer, grounds maintenance and homeowner's insurance on the unit.
If you own a unit that has 1,000 square feet, you pay the same fee as a homeowner who owns a unit that has 3500 square feet. Some units have indoor pools and hot tubs and we all share the water bill equally. Good deal if you have a large unit with a pool - bad deal if you have a small unit without one. The most distressing facts: Board meetings are behind closed doors. Homeowners have no say except to elect the board member. The majority of expenses on building maintenance are spent on board members' homes. If you complain, you will be subjected to scrutiny and fined if they can find a reason to do so. No local attorneys that I have spoken to will even discuss the situation.
Certainly a Fool

Johnson City, TN

#23 May 19, 2013
Texan wrote:
We bought a place here and we love it. Very lovely people and we think the association is doing a great job. In spite of all the negative feedback , we find this the loveliest place in Johnson City and we intend to find out how we can make it better.
You could help make it better by working to correct the inequities I listed. If we took down the privacy gate - which NEVER works - and had the city care for the main road and water and sewer lines - which they do for every other neighborhood in town - it would save enough money to take of the buildings like they need. If fees were adjusted to be fair, such as per square footage, the fees would seem more reasonable and Woodstone would not have such a terrible reputation. The units would be easier to sell, and property values would be more realistic because we would not have to suffer so many foreclosures.
Cancer Bites

Denver, NC

#24 May 29, 2013
Call WatchDog Nate Morabito. He and Melissa Hipolit would love to dig into this...
unimpressed

Kingsport, TN

#25 May 29, 2013
Why don't you whiners just move? I'm sure your hard earned(?)money could serve you better if you just bought or rented a nice place within your budget. When you move into a high class place like Woodstone, you are obviously trying to either impress yourself or the people you know. Get your feet back on solid ground. Quit trying to be a social climber if you can't afford it. As for me, I wouldn't live in a snobby gated community and maybe you don't need to either. Be your own person, be realistic.
Resident of Woodstone

Johnson City, TN

#26 Jan 3, 2014
unimpressed wrote:
Why don't you whiners just move? I'm sure your hard earned(?)money could serve you better if you just bought or rented a nice place within your budget. When you move into a high class place like Woodstone, you are obviously trying to either impress yourself or the people you know. Get your feet back on solid ground. Quit trying to be a social climber if you can't afford it. As for me, I wouldn't live in a snobby gated community and maybe you don't need to either. Be your own person, be realistic.
Snobby? Just because the community has a gate makes it high class and snobby? Sounds like you are the snob based on your ignorant comment. The people that live here are some of the most unique and interesting people I have ever lived around. Great neighbors and community. Everyone looks out for each other. And as far as prices go, I consider living here a bargain based on current home prices in Johnson City. Some of these units look like $300,000+ dollar homes. You can't find anything like that around here. The maintenance fee includes swimming pool, tennis courts, water bill, insurance on the outside of the unit (including roof and deck), pest control and all landscaping. Again, a great bargain. I have no regrets and love living here. GREAT views of the city as well from up top!
Ex Woodstone

Elizabethton, TN

#27 Jan 3, 2014
unimpressed wrote:
There is nothing high class about Woodstone, absolutely nothing. Old, dilapidated condos that look like they were built in the 50's.
unimpressed

Kingsport, TN

#28 Jan 3, 2014
Resident of Woodstone wrote:
<quoted text>
Snobby? Just because the community has a gate makes it high class and snobby? Sounds like you are the snob based on your ignorant comment. The people that live here are some of the most unique and interesting people I have ever lived around. Great neighbors and community. Everyone looks out for each other. And as far as prices go, I consider living here a bargain based on current home prices in Johnson City. Some of these units look like $300,000+ dollar homes. You can't find anything like that around here. The maintenance fee includes swimming pool, tennis courts, water bill, insurance on the outside of the unit (including roof and deck), pest control and all landscaping. Again, a great bargain. I have no regrets and love living here. GREAT views of the city as well from up top!
Obviously you can afford it, so more power to you. That's cool. I think the whiners are the ones who bit off more than they can chew and can't justify the benefits compared to the prices. Now, you have to admit, most of your neighbors are a bit on the monied side. That's ok too. I'm afraid some folk who can't make the payments try to move there to try to be bargain basement social climbers and fit in with you. Not your fault .........you can always look down your nose at someone without having to leave your own neighborhood!
Homeowner

Johnson City, TN

#30 Aug 6, 2014
Easy Rider wrote:
What do condo associations charge that offer similar amenities? If it is much less then perhaps someone is putting money in their pockets? Is water included plus pool? Who actually owns the complex? If you get a lawyer involved they should lower the fee immediately or do what they are supposed to do.
We pay higher fees than even the most exclusive condominium and patio home associations within 90 miles. Lawyers won't do anything. Not sure why? Maybe because some attorneys live here?
Homeowner

Johnson City, TN

#31 Aug 6, 2014
Texan moving to TN wrote:
Considering looking at property here . Your advice residents?
Run the other way!
ex-Woodstone2

Elizabethton, TN

#32 Aug 6, 2014
Ex Woodstone wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing high class about Woodstone, absolutely nothing. Old, dilapidated condos that look like they were built in the 50's.
I'm surprised they are still standing. How long can rotten wood last?
Homeowner

Johnson City, TN

#33 Aug 7, 2014
Certainly a Fool wrote:
Yes, I was foolish to not research Woodstone better before I bought a home here. Here are facts: The fees include water, sewer, grounds maintenance and homeowner's insurance on the unit.
If you own a unit that has 1,000 square feet, you pay the same fee as a homeowner who owns a unit that has 3500 square feet. Some units have indoor pools and hot tubs and we all share the water bill equally. Good deal if you have a large unit with a pool - bad deal if you have a small unit without one. The most distressing facts: Board meetings are behind closed doors. Homeowners have no say except to elect the board member. The majority of expenses on building maintenance are spent on board members' homes. If you complain, you will be subjected to scrutiny and fined if they can find a reason to do so. No local attorneys that I have spoken to will even discuss the situation.
Absolutely true and right on!
Homeowner

Johnson City, TN

#34 Aug 7, 2014
unimpressed wrote:
You are sadly mistaken if you think Woodstone is "high class"! I payed about $60 a square foot for mine, but it had been updated. The one across the street is slightly smaller and sold for $65,000. These condos are cheap for the size and style. You need to not comment if you don't know what you're talking about. High class only if you're used to paying $35,000 for a house. Most of us here purchased these when maintenance fees were reasonable and had no idea what we were getting into. Now we can't sell them because the maintenance fees are $250 a month - higher than anywhere else in town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eldridge and Meredith caught by JCP 17 hr Wise Wolfe 175
Orangle Peel coming to JC 19 hr jer-z 4
Citi Call Center in Gray (Mar '10) 21 hr Done 131
Christmas in September in Charlotte NC Fri NuffSnuff 7
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Fri Ann smith 1,573
Quickest or Easiest place to get into low incom... Fri BilltheCat 2
Run Run Run Chuck Norris Fri Cyclone Psycho 2

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance