How about looking at county/city comm...

How about looking at county/city commissioners pay, etc?

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
cutcountywaste

Johnson City, TN

#1 Apr 1, 2013
We are in times of cutting expenses for necessary budget items.
How about we start by getting full disclosure from county commissioners, school board members, city commissioners and look at cutting their pay and benefits?
Why should the county commissioners (washington) receive all the benefits of a full time employee plus double retirement?
Seems like a conflict of interest for these issues not to be voted on by the people??
Re-Vote-volting

Johnson City, TN

#2 Apr 2, 2013
cutcountywaste has a valid point. We as a Country are really in a pinch. With the
exception of some that somehow get into City/County governments and steal from the poor. These elected officials act on their own wants and not the peoples needs. Why should we as a Tax Payer have to pay for their Health Insurance, Retirement, and all the other PERKS that they are using to steal us blind. Let's not be Sheep for these Sheepherders. Time to speak up. We hired them, now let us FIRE them.
fewer commissioners

Johnson City, TN

#3 Apr 2, 2013
I have wanted the number of commissioners lowered from 25 to 18. That's two per district based on nine districts. Eighteen is even too many, but they will never vote to lower their numbers, so we are basically screwed paying for all their perks!
cutcountywaste

Johnson City, TN

#4 Apr 2, 2013
How can we get a full disclosure from Washington County on the total cost of the commissioners and also get a vote of the people on how many commissioners and their pay/benefits? It is OUR money and in this economy, there are many other things to fund rather than waste. Can not believe last year they voted to double their retirement benefits, they should not even get retirement!
Hillbillyboy

United States

#5 Apr 2, 2013
The big shots in the city government system, who are getting the obscenely high pay and perks, will likely just take away or reduce the pay of the lowest employees, cut their hours to part time so they dont have to pay any benefits (like cover the cost of Obamacare)...and then give themselves a raise.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Same old thing

Antioch, TN

#6 Apr 2, 2013
I heard one is on a nice vac. In Mexico right now. Must be living good.
cutcountywaste

Johnson City, TN

#7 Apr 2, 2013
Does anyone know how to get a vote in place regarding the commissioners? They should not be deciding their own pay and raises.

Cut down the number of commissioners, cut down the perks and see how many will resign.

Let's do some spring cleaning :)
Re-Vote-volting

Johnson City, TN

#8 Apr 2, 2013
I suggest we look for an outlet ( local tv, newspaper) to voice our wants. It is of Public Interest and we, the People should know. If necessary, let's start a Petition to be heard.
I agree with ""cutcountywaste " to do some Spring cleaning.
tipton64

Charlotte, NC

#9 Apr 5, 2013
City Commissioners don't get paid. County Commissioners do get paid per meeting.
Tabby

Johnson City, TN

#10 Apr 5, 2013
School board members listen to complaints all day long! It does not matter what the reason, be it big or small. There are even several of them who actually care about our children and schools. If they didn't then why would they put up with what they do? I know a few if these members and I think they make around $200.00 per month. As far as I have been told, none of them are supplied health insurance. I certainly would not be "cutting" anything that they receive ! Knox co makes 4 digit salaries from what I have been told. I only know 2 county commissioners and do not know what they make or anything about them. I personally think 24 commissioners is way too many for Wash Co
Tabby

Johnson City, TN

#11 Apr 5, 2013
cutcountywaste wrote:
How about we start by getting full disclosure from county commissioners, school board members, city commissioners and look at cutting their pay and benefits?
Why should the county commissioners (washington) receive all the benefits of a full time employee plus double retirement?
Seems like a conflict of interest for these issues not to be voted on by the people??
Need to know your facts before pulling school board in in this matter. What what little they make and all they have to do and listen to! It's obvious they are not in it for the money !
cutcountywaste

Johnson City, TN

#12 Apr 6, 2013
Here are the numbers pretty close to what the Washington County Commissioners are costing us:
Total cost per year for commissioners: about $294,000.

Chairman gets $875 monthly and the rest get $375 monthly. The benefits are more costly at $139,000 per year for all the medical insurance. Then, add in DOUBLE state retirement, travel, etc.
cutcountywaste

Johnson City, TN

#13 Apr 6, 2013
Tabby, I do not have any information on what the school board makes. Looking for full disclosure from elected people is prudent when it is our money.
Tabby

Johnson City, TN

#14 Apr 6, 2013
cutcountywaste wrote:
Tabby, I do not have any information on what the school board makes. Looking for full disclosure from elected people is prudent when it is our money.
Cut county waste, I agree that what the county commissioners make is ridiculous to say the least. And to have 24?? That's unheard of. In your first statement you included the SB. That was all I was referring to because I know what they put up with and how little they are paid. We have some good members in there now who must really care for the schools , teachers, kids etc , otherwise we would not have a school board ! Thanks for your information on the other.
Morris 2014

United States

#15 Jan 17, 2014
Fellow citizens of Washington County. I am running for County Commissioner in District 8 for 2014. I will fight for the hard working people of Washington County and bring common sense reform to the County Budget. As representatives of the people, there is no reason why Commissioners should be getting full time benefits.

Visit my Website at www.votemattmorris.us
Facebook at www.facebook.com/votemattmorris
Twitter @votemattmorris

I look forward to serving you and being your voice in local Government.

Matt Morris
Principled Leadership. Conservative Values
Election 2014

Johnson City, TN

#16 Jan 17, 2014
Morris 2014 wrote:
Fellow citizens of Washington County. I am running for County Commissioner in District 8 for 2014. I will fight for the hard working people of Washington County and bring common sense reform to the County Budget. As representatives of the people, there is no reason why Commissioners should be getting full time benefits.
Visit my Website at www.votemattmorris.us
Facebook at www.facebook.com/votemattmorris
Twitter @votemattmorris
I look forward to serving you and being your voice in local Government.
Matt Morris
Principled Leadership. Conservative Values
What precincts are in District 8?
IfMattMorrisisel ected

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jan 18, 2014
Will Matt Morris be able to stop the County Commissioners from getting all the benefits they DON'T deserve?

I hope so. Any salary, benefits, doubling of retirement should have been put to a vote by the people who PAY their salary and benefits!
Pop

Elizabethton, TN

#18 Jan 18, 2014
IfMattMorrisiselected wrote:
Will Matt Morris be able to stop the County Commissioners from getting all the benefits they DON'T deserve?
I hope so. Any salary, benefits, doubling of retirement should have been put to a vote by the people who PAY their salary and benefits!
I am not defending Washington County commissioners nor sponsoring them. However, we do need qualified candidates actually running for these positions. It does take some incentives to ask a qualified person to devote a lot of their personal time to these responsibilities. The last thing we need is an unqualified commission making important decisions for us. If we don't have a robust slate to choose from, this is what could happen. I do agree they should not be voting on their own benefits however.
IfMattMorrisisel ected

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jan 18, 2014
Pop, the city commissioner are well qualified, compare the difference in their perks!

These good old boys have take advantage of padding their own pockets in the county.

In this economy, how DARE the county commissioners think we are all so
duped by what they gave themselves!

Out with the old, in with newer and hopefully more ethical people.
Mortimer

Kingsport, TN

#21 Jan 19, 2014
cutcountywaste wrote:
A very well spoken post, but what are we to do? Money and connections bring these social climbers into power and what chance does a common person have to correct it? Sure, we could support a real candidate, but a chance of them being elected is zero. Money brings them into power, along with a sense of apathy, which I'm guilty of. Who's going to change this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
That forever sleep 2 hr Lasan Yarps 32
Sara Diamond - Disrespectful 4 hr You Idiot 2
Experiences with Johnson City Juvenile Court Ju... 9 hr God is Justice 15
Claude John Robinson and Melinda Lee Buchanan 14 hr Just dont know 7
total family medicine/grace internal medicine (Dec '15) 21 hr lbsc 14
whos the best lawyer in johnsoncity (Jul '13) Wed Clay 76
Johnson City mosque (Oct '08) Wed JBM 44
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Dec 5 DonotBeThatNaive 1,614

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web