Next Last
voter

Johnson City, TN

#1 Apr 3, 2014
Vote for Brooks.
Article

Johnson City, TN

#2 Apr 6, 2014
Um, These two people are running for criminal court judge. The circuit court judges are Judge Stanley and Judge Seeley. They are both unopposed.
greg

Charlotte, NC

#3 Apr 7, 2014
Dennis brooks believes in establishing a drug court for our district. This is an extremely good thing. Locking up people with addiction problems does absolutely nothing to HELP their addiction. Dennis Brooks believes that true addiction is an illness and not a crime to be punished. He sees the the tax payer benefits, to mention the very least, of what this could do for our region. Currently, we are severely un equipped for dealing with addiction
Right

Johnson City, TN

#4 Apr 8, 2014
There are several rehabs that defendants can be sent to for an addiction. Is a drug court not just using additional funding and taxpayer money to send them to rehab? Are you saying that a true addict should never go tell jail? Is the drug court just for helping people with drug addictions? No punishment? What alternatives would the drug court use to be equipped for addicts? Please explain.
Drug court

Johnson City, TN

#5 Apr 8, 2014
There was a drug court about nine years ago. It is in place again. The first time, the program didn't work and fell apart. It was only for misdemeanors. Does Brooks want people with FELONY drug charges to avoid jail time and probation by going to drug court?
greg

Athens, TN

#6 Apr 9, 2014
Go on the npr website and look up the archives for 'this American life' by Ira glass. The episode is entitled 'very tough love'. That will educate you about drug courts, and will provide an example of a nightmare one in rural Georgia. Very interesting.
Really

Johnson City, TN

#7 Apr 10, 2014
greg wrote:
Go on the npr website and look up the archives for 'this American life' by Ira glass. The episode is entitled 'very tough love'. That will educate you about drug courts, and will provide an example of a nightmare one in rural Georgia. Very interesting.
it looks like some people are already educated about drug courts. You need to answer their questions if you can.
Check

Johnson City, TN

#8 Apr 10, 2014
greg wrote:
Greg, The drug court is already here.
greg

Athens, TN

#9 Apr 10, 2014
No, that is not correct. There is a day reporting program utilized by our district criminal courts, and there is a mental health court , but there is not a true drug court in operation in this district and there should be. Our jails are severely overcrowded and over half of the people in there are being held on violations of probation related to dirty drug screens. It is not wise use of taxpayer funds and a drug court would assist in lowering these numbers considerably. Incarceration does nothing for addicts, they get right back in the system, but rehabilitation through drug courts with the possibility of jail time stints while going through the program as punishment DOES help them get off drugs and stop committing the thefts, DUIs etc that comes along with addiction issues.
Drug court

Johnson City, TN

#10 Apr 10, 2014
There is one for Washington County General Sessions, where all criminal charges begin. It is for misdemeanors at this time . Check is correct. It started back up recently.
Drug court

Johnson City, TN

#11 Apr 10, 2014
greg wrote:
No, that is not correct. There is a day reporting program utilized by our district criminal courts, and there is a mental health court , but there is not a true drug court in operation in this district and there should be. Our jails are severely overcrowded and over half of the people in there are being held on violations of probation related to dirty drug screens. It is not wise use of taxpayer funds and a drug court would assist in lowering these numbers considerably. Incarceration does nothing for addicts, they get right back in the system, but rehabilitation through drug courts with the possibility of jail time stints while going through the program as punishment DOES help them get off drugs and stop committing the thefts, DUIs etc that comes along with addiction issues.
check out the TN Association of Drug Court Professionals website. Washington county is listed
greg

Athens, TN

#12 Apr 10, 2014
Not in criminal court. That is what I am talking about, as Brooks is a candidate for criminal court judge. Not general sessions.
Outlook

Kingsport, TN

#13 Apr 11, 2014
greg wrote:
Not in criminal court. That is what I am talking about, as Brooks is a candidate for criminal court judge. Not general sessions.
Hey Greg,
Some of these people don't realize criminal court and sessions court are 2 different things and won't listen to good sense but continue to make asses of themselves. Why waste your time on them? Most likely they might get a lesson from being called into one or the other. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, nor is just plain old ignorance!
Drug court

Johnson City, TN

#14 Apr 11, 2014
Please try not to be complete jerks. I said it was general sessions court. You are the one that said we needed a drug court. You didn't say a thing about criminal court specifically until now. In fact, you said there is no such court in the DISTRICT. I know exactly what position Brooks and Rice want. I have been in these courts, but never as a Defendant. Criminal cases all begin in criminal general sessions court in TN. Misdemeanors can be tried and sentenced there. Felonies can be tried in a preliminary hearing and bound over to criminal court. They can not be sentenced in sessions court. You might want to read the full posts. I wasn't trying to be rude until your backwards, insulting comments.
Really

Johnson City, TN

#15 Apr 11, 2014
Outlook wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Greg,
Some of these people don't realize criminal court and sessions court are 2 different things and won't listen to good sense but continue to make asses of themselves. Why waste your time on them? Most likely they might get a lesson from being called into one or the other. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, nor is just plain old ignorance!
You are a complete idiot.
Drug court

Johnson City, TN

#16 Apr 11, 2014
By the way, one exception to cases going to sessions court are those taken straight to the grand jury. They can do a true bill and have it go straight to criminal. Those are usually undercover drug cases with a longer investigation.Also, a preliminary hearing ca be done for misdemeanors, but not usually. They are usually for those that can't pay a bond to appeal to criminal court. Got it?
Really

Johnson City, TN

#17 Apr 11, 2014
Wow, Outlook. Please, Elaborate on Drug Court's summary. You are the legal authority. Right?
Big Mac

Johnson City, TN

#18 Apr 11, 2014
greg wrote:
How about stop giving drug addicts probation. I have had five different people break into my house over the course of ten years. The Washington County Sheriff's Office arrested four of them and all four had drug problems and all four were given probation. All four violated their probation within six months. If they are given time instead a slap on the hand they would have time in jail to sober up. I spent a total of fourteen days in court to make sure these people got what they deserved and for what? So they would be sentenced to paper. I spent more time in court than they did in jail. Don't tell me about these druggies having unjust treatment.
Kathy

Athens, TN

#19 Apr 11, 2014
Big Mac wrote:
<quoted text>How about stop giving drug addicts probation. I have had five different people break into my house over the course of ten years. The Washington County Sheriff's Office arrested four of them and all four had drug problems and all four were given probation. All four violated their probation within six months. If they are given time instead a slap on the hand they would have time in jail to sober up. I spent a total of fourteen days in court to make sure these people got what they deserved and for what? So they would be sentenced to paper. I spent more time in court than they did in jail. Don't tell me about these druggies having unjust treatment.
You can send them to jail, they come out, they use drugs again, they commit a crime. You can put them on probation, they use drugs, commit a crime and get violated for one or both. The circle never ends, and it will get worse. The system is obviously not working and it is getting worse. A drug court is simply an alternative to the above that may very well help that isn't available now in out criminal courts. Statistically drug courts are proven to work. It's all over the country in many different courts, and the vast majority are successes. If this is something Mr brooks supports than that can't be a bad thing. My vote goes to him
To Kathy

Johnson City, TN

#20 Apr 11, 2014
Kathy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can send them to jail, they come out, they use drugs again, they commit a crime. You can put them on probation, they use drugs, commit a crime and get violated for one or both. The circle never ends, and it will get worse. The system is obviously not working and it is getting worse. A drug court is simply an alternative to the above that may very well help that isn't available now in out criminal courts. Statistically drug courts are proven to work. It's all over the country in many different courts, and the vast majority are successes. If this is something Mr brooks supports than that can't be a bad thing. My vote goes to him
it is your choice and right to vote for who you like. However, the drug court from nine years ago, fell apart. Maybe the one now in place in sessions will work. Who knows. You might want to look into all the issues before basing your vote on one factor. Ms. Rice has been on both sides of the coin, prosecutor and defense. She can bring a broader prospective to the bench. It is just something to consider

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 1 hr DonotBeThatNaive 928
Confederate Flag Hooplah 3 hr RevGiddeonPlannish 89
where do the hookers walk (Jan '13) 4 hr Sneedville Cuz 7
Nearby nursing home bouncing checks to employees 17 hr Rebel Fighter 2
When is Dykes leaving 20 hr never_gone 3
Poll Who makes the best DENTURES IN AREA? (Dec '09) 23 hr sorry 30
want to text black woman bad Mon blackwoman 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages