Burger King screws employees!

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Well I Never

Johnson City, TN

#1 Dec 25, 2012
We should boycott BK because they have cut all hourly workers to 29 hours a week. No other restaurants are doing this yet BK tells their employees ALL other are and thats just not true. They would rather hurt workers and families. Pretty bad since they already off some form of insurance but are afraid they might have to pay if their insurance is refused.
Leary

Chatsworth, GA

#2 Dec 26, 2012
Well I Never wrote:
We should boycott BK because they have cut all hourly workers to 29 hours a week. No other restaurants are doing this yet BK tells their employees ALL other are and thats just not true. They would rather hurt workers and families. Pretty bad since they already off some form of insurance but are afraid they might have to pay if their insurance is refused.
Obamacare. You wanted it now deal with the consequences. McDonalds, and thousand of other Companies, that were large campaign donors, received waivers and exemptions. They don't have to cut non-managemnet employees to less than 30 hours. Guess BK didn't get that deal.
durp

Abingdon, VA

#3 Dec 26, 2012
It's not just Burger King...I know Walmart routinely does this and has for years, especially as the year winds down. I think it has something to do with cutting payroll so they come in good on their number for the shareholders. I expect it happens a lot of places and if you boycott every place that did you might want to prepare for growing and cooking your own food at home.
Pop

Johnson City, TN

#5 Dec 27, 2012
Well I Never wrote:
You are seeing the result of Obamacare. Many, many businesses are going to start doing this in preparation for 2014. I work for a company who already offers health benefits, but is planning on converting to a part time work force in 2014 because healthcare costs are going to skyrocket and so are the penalties for not providing healthcare. Fortunately for me, I am retired and only work there part time and don't need benefits. When people vote with emotion and not common sense, this is the result. Our economy is going to come to a standstill by 2014.
Mike

Kingsport, TN

#6 Dec 27, 2012
It's not the duty of Burger King or any other company to provide you with insurance or any guarantee of hours. The purpose of the company is to make money. If it is in the best interest of the company to only work you 29 hours so they don't have to pay for insurance then it is a good business decision. Is it fair? Maybe not, but is it fair that they should be forced to pay for benefits? I am sorry that you are getting your hours cut but that is just the world we live in. If you do not like it change jobs or start your own company;
whut

Abingdon, VA

#7 Dec 27, 2012
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
You are seeing the result of Obamacare. Many, many businesses are going to start doing this in preparation for 2014. I work for a company who already offers health benefits, but is planning on converting to a part time work force in 2014 because healthcare costs are going to skyrocket and so are the penalties for not providing healthcare. Fortunately for me, I am retired and only work there part time and don't need benefits. When people vote with emotion and not common sense, this is the result. Our economy is going to come to a standstill by 2014.
Not true..this has been going on at companies for years now and has little to do with Obamacare.
Well I Never

Johnson City, TN

#8 Dec 28, 2012
Starting in 2014, under the new health care laws, if you go to the ER and you do not have insurance, you should not be seen. The law is to help cut out the 43+ billion in unpaid ER and hospital bill we rack up annually by not having insurance. Say what you will but there is a hell of an entitlement, free health care at everyone elses expense!
whut

Abingdon, VA

#9 Dec 28, 2012
Well I Never wrote:
Starting in 2014, under the new health care laws, if you go to the ER and you do not have insurance, you should not be seen. The law is to help cut out the 43+ billion in unpaid ER and hospital bill we rack up annually by not having insurance. Say what you will but there is a hell of an entitlement, free health care at everyone elses expense!
How is it an entitlement if you WONT be seen? I don't get it..
Pop

Johnson City, TN

#10 Dec 28, 2012
whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true..this has been going on at companies for years now and has little to do with Obamacare.
You are incorrect. Read the news a little. There are a lot of companies who are now moving to an all part time work force and have publicly stated they were doing it due to Obamacare. There are a lot of small businesses in Johnson City who have publicly stated they are going to an all part time workforce due to Obamacare. This new phenomena is due solely to Obamacare. The reality is 34 million people will get free healthcare at the expense of full time employment for roughly that same amount. Somebody has to pay, and guess who it is - middle class Americans.
whut

Abingdon, VA

#11 Dec 29, 2012
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect. Read the news a little. There are a lot of companies who are now moving to an all part time work force and have publicly stated they were doing it due to Obamacare. There are a lot of small businesses in Johnson City who have publicly stated they are going to an all part time workforce due to Obamacare. This new phenomena is due solely to Obamacare. The reality is 34 million people will get free healthcare at the expense of full time employment for roughly that same amount. Somebody has to pay, and guess who it is - middle class Americans.
I do read the news...you may want to turn off Fox news. I have personal experience working for and have friends who work for major companies who started this YEARS AGO before it became popular and cliché to blame Obamacare for companies simply trying to save money on their employee expenses.
JCM

Johnson City, TN

#13 Dec 29, 2012
Well I Never wrote:
You wanna know who's entitled to free health care at everyone else's expense? It's those dumb SOBs sitting in Washington D.C.making rules and laws that they are not subject to. What we need more then healthcare reform is political reform in the shape of term limits for all elected officials, accountability for poor decision making, and our officials to be forced to use the same healthcare, social security, and other programs they deem acceptable for the public. These idiots are supposed to be our representatives not our rulers set up on pedestals.
whut

Abingdon, VA

#14 Dec 29, 2012
JCM wrote:
<quoted text>
You wanna know who's entitled to free health care at everyone else's expense? It's those dumb SOBs sitting in Washington D.C.making rules and laws that they are not subject to. What we need more then healthcare reform is political reform in the shape of term limits for all elected officials, accountability for poor decision making, and our officials to be forced to use the same healthcare, social security, and other programs they deem acceptable for the public. These idiots are supposed to be our representatives not our rulers set up on pedestals.
That will never happen because once elected, they see their only job is to get re-elected, by any means necessary. The founding fathers should have had better foresight to set up a system where Congress sets their only salary and benefits...geesh.
Fred

Kingsport, TN

#15 Dec 29, 2012
It's really as simple as this. They keep America divided, because if they didn't and we banded together, we would be a true force to be reckoned with. The Walton's wouldn't have as much money as 193 million other Americans and walmart workers (full time) wouldn't be on welfare.....

First republicans screw you, then they tell you Obama did it.

Why do you think all McDonald's have FOX NEWS on? Ad yes, you fall for it over and over...they hook you with the abortion issue. Dd you know that they wouldn't get rid of abortion if they could. NOT A CHANCE? It's their number one vote getter from you.

Then they get all your money...period....a Republocan is a worthless worm
Fred

Kingsport, TN

#16 Dec 29, 2012
JCM wrote:
<quoted text>
Te name is Dr Phil Roe....free healthcare for the rest of his life, family too.... By the way, he went into congress worth a million bucks...now he's worth three.....yes, you're really that stupid
Amazed

Johnson City, TN

#17 Dec 29, 2012
Fred wrote:
It's really as simple as this. They keep America divided, because if they didn't and we banded together, we would be a true force to be reckoned with. The Walton's wouldn't have as much money as 193 million other Americans and walmart workers (full time) wouldn't be on welfare.....
First republicans screw you, then they tell you Obama did it.
Why do you think all McDonald's have FOX NEWS on? Ad yes, you fall for it over and over...they hook you with the abortion issue. Dd you know that they wouldn't get rid of abortion if they could. NOT A CHANCE? It's their number one vote getter from you.
Then they get all your money...period....a Republocan is a worthless worm
No wonder Carter County has the reputation it has. What an idiotic statement. For the record, the rich pay most of the taxes. Here's the proof:

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/07/12/cbo-repor...

How much of your money was actually taken from you by a Republican? The answer is none. The government is the only organization that can take your money, and they take most of theirs from the rich, not people like you. If you think you don't have enough, go invest wisely or go work more. Quit bitching about rich republicans. They are not the problem. The government is the organization taking your money and spending it. Do you actually think taxing the rich even more is going to benefit you one penny? It won't. It will simply be spent on some other worthless government program that no one sees the benefit from.
Well I Never

Johnson City, TN

#18 Dec 29, 2012
whut wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it an entitlement if you WONT be seen? I don't get it..
The entitlement is NOW for the people that leave 43+billion in unpaid hospital bills now and the government and the tax payers pay it now. People are bitchin about Obama care but who do they think foots the bill for the uninsured now???
Welmont Man

Johnson City, TN

#19 Dec 29, 2012
Well I Never wrote:
<quoted text>The entitlement is NOW for the people that leave 43+billion in unpaid hospital bills now and the government and the tax payers pay it now. People are bitchin about Obama care but who do they think foots the bill for the uninsured now???
The government and taxpayers do not foot this bill. Unpaid hospital bills are never funded by the government unless it is a government run hospital. Unpaid bills are losses incurred by the hospital, not taxpayers. Why do you think an aspirin costs $8 each at the hospital? Unpaid hospital bills do cause the cost of healthcare and insurance to go up. Hospitals have to absorb the losses and insurance companies have to pay the inflated bills by the hospitals due to these losses. That is how the current system works.

Obamacare was supposed to drive down hospital and insurance costs by insuring everyone so that hospitals would not have unpaid bills. However, with more people going to have health insurance, insurance companies are now raising the rates on insurance because they anticipate more people will be going to the hospital. Also, Obamacare still doesn't insure everyone. So there will still be unpaid hospital bills. Also, illegal immigrants don't fall under the jurisdiction of the federal or state government, so when they go to the hospital, there will be unpaid bills. Therefore, insurance and healthcare costs will continue to rise and have actually been rising even more, producing the exact total opposite of what Obamacare was intended to do. Most businesses now see this happening and are now converting to a 100% part time work staff so they don't fall under Obamacare. This will cause the cost of Obamacare to rise and thus eventually result in increased taxes. The end result is healthcare, insurance and taxes will now start rising exponentially until some other type of reform gets put in place.
Well I Never

Johnson City, TN

#20 Dec 31, 2012
Welmont Man wrote:
<quoted text>
The government and taxpayers do not foot this bill. Unpaid hospital bills are never funded by the government unless it is a government run hospital. Unpaid bills are losses incurred by the hospital, not taxpayers. Why do you think an aspirin costs $8 each at the hospital? Unpaid hospital bills do cause the cost of healthcare and insurance to go up. Hospitals have to absorb the losses and insurance companies have to pay the inflated bills by the hospitals due to these losses. That is how the current system works.
Obamacare was supposed to drive down hospital and insurance costs by insuring everyone so that hospitals would not have unpaid bills. However, with more people going to have health insurance, insurance companies are now raising the rates on insurance because they anticipate more people will be going to the hospital. Also, Obamacare still doesn't insure everyone. So there will still be unpaid hospital bills. Also, illegal immigrants don't fall under the jurisdiction of the federal or state government, so when they go to the hospital, there will be unpaid bills. Therefore, insurance and healthcare costs will continue to rise and have actually been rising even more, producing the exact total opposite of what Obamacare was intended to do. Most businesses now see this happening and are now converting to a 100% part time work staff so they don't fall under Obamacare. This will cause the cost of Obamacare to rise and thus eventually result in increased taxes. The end result is healthcare, insurance and taxes will now start rising exponentially until some other type of reform gets put in place.
Sorry wellmpnt man but you are wrong. The industry could not possibly absorb 43+ billion year in and year out. The federal govt does pay these cost. A nhospital, unless it is a private, for profit hospital, all recieve govt money of some sort. A private, for profit can refuse services to someone without insurance and send them to the funded hospital (which the ajority are). A hospital which recieves govt funds are not allowed to turn anyone away and the govt covers most of these costs along with some charities.
little balls

Grand Prairie, TX

#21 Dec 31, 2012
gosh i would hate to get .
screwed by the king.
Welmont Man

Johnson City, TN

#22 Dec 31, 2012
Well I Never wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry wellmpnt man but you are wrong. The industry could not possibly absorb 43+ billion year in and year out. The federal govt does pay these cost. A nhospital, unless it is a private, for profit hospital, all recieve govt money of some sort. A private, for profit can refuse services to someone without insurance and send them to the funded hospital (which the ajority are). A hospital which recieves govt funds are not allowed to turn anyone away and the govt covers most of these costs along with some charities.
That is what I meant by "government run hospitals." However, even in government run hospitals, they don't foot the bill for all the losses. I come from Atlanta and the city hospital is Grady Hospital. It loses $10-$15 million per year and the city foots the bill. That is why the city of Atlanta's property taxes are sky high. One year Grady put marble facing on its exterior and property taxes in Atlanta went through the roof. However, this is probably one of the most abused hospitals in the country. People call the ambulance to Grady to get free rides to downtown Atlanta, and the hospital was so poorly run, they let them do it. Grady is a great example of why you don't let the government run a hospital.
I have been in hospital administration all my life and am still in this industry. The hospitals around here are not government hospitals. For example, the local city hospital is a private hospital and so deeply in debt it has laid off half of its workforce and pays the remainder hardly anything. A government hospital would simply keep on losing and make the taxpayers foot the bill.
If we migrate to a 100% government funded insurance system, the government will determine who will be treated instead of doctors and this is a bad thing in my opinion. I have seen numerous foreign patients who have come to the U.S. to get medical care and most have footed the bill on their own because their own government refused to treat them or they didn't want treatment from one of their country's doctors. I have personally seen two high level German politicians come to Atlanta to get medical care for heart conditions for this very reason.
In my humble opinion, our medical care system is not broken. What is broken is the cost of medical care. Insurance companies are simply reacting to the high cost of medical care and can really behave no differently given the costs. Medical care is costly in this country for several reasons. Yes, one of them is unpaid medical bills. But there are many other factors. Another big factor driving up cost is malpractice and liability insurance. The insurance cost so much because of this country's liberal court policies. Everybody has a right to sue these days. And there are plenty of lawyers who will handle these lawsuits. Most countries don't allow their citizens to sue so freely. Also, as harsh as it may seem, the cost to keep a terminally ill patient alive longer is a huge cost. Sometimes, the cost to extend a terminally ill patients life two weeks can cost $500,000 or more. Not many other countries do this. I am not giving my opinion on this, this is simply the reality.
If we vetted all lawsuits to only allow the legitimate ones and allowed patients and their families to terminate care once it is deemed useless, especially for the terminally ill who are only expected to live a couple of weeks, medical costs would go down drastically. I expect to get bashed for this statement, but I have to imagine, at least the patients I have seen, do not want a miserable life extended 2 weeks or less even if it costs nothing. One more thing that would bring down costs to a reasonable level, even though it may be inhumane, would be for government run hospitals to only treat U.S. citizens or people with visas. If all of these things were to happen, we wouldn't have a medical care cost problem and insurance rates would plummet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Holly and chief river rat Harris. 28 min Clarence 2
Joe Grandy excepts more money's from methadone ... 2 hr Clarence 7
Grandy is a liar, he owes 650000 on his house a... 2 hr Sid 17
Holly and Harris might be on to something? 11 hr franklymydear 4
joe grandy will loose to reeves first time in c... 12 hr spacecadet 1
Why Is Halliburton Still Director 12 hr Peccadilloes 3
Athletic Directors Over Money 14 hr tnvols 3

Johnson City Jobs

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages