WQUT's Midnight Rambler - Original or Imposter?

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of70
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
deadheadrunning

Laurens, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Judged:

tis dude is tha real RAMBLER! i have cassette tapes made from 1976 2 1982! sur he's older, so am i, but he can still burn your brain alive! PEACE

“It ain't got no gas in it.”

Since: Mar 10

The Nervous Hospital

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

I have a friend here in the nervous hospital named Forrest, Forrest Gump. Umm-hmm. Forrest, Forrest Gump listened to the Rambling Man show on his radio and he says he can't decide if I talk like the Rambling Man or if he talks like me. Umm-hmm.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2010

Judged:

i met the ramblers manager moonspice when she was getting some ink done. she said she knows hes the original because she runs everything including his web site & even applies his makeup. she said some of the shows are prerecorded in advance and thats why people sometimes cant talk to him when they call the station during the shows.
deadheadrunning

Laurens, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

I am Karl Childers wrote:
I have a friend here in the nervous hospital named Forrest, Forrest Gump. Umm-hmm. Forrest, Forrest Gump listened to the Rambling Man show on his radio and he says he can't decide if I talk like the Rambling Man or if he talks like me. Umm-hmm.
tat freind u got ,Forrest Gump, is he your roommate r your Doctor. Umm-hmm

Since: Oct 09

JC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

Judged:

Postergeist wrote:
i met the ramblers manager moonspice when she was getting some ink done. she said she knows hes the original because she runs everything including his web site & even applies his makeup. she said some of the shows are prerecorded in advance and thats why people sometimes cant talk to him when they call the station during the shows.
I don't know who this Moonspice is, but she is definitely handing you a line of b.s. Unless she is applying make up to a corpse and is also a bad talking crow, she's as big a phony as the new Rambler.
Retire the Morning Zoo

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

Judged:

There are no really good radio stations in the Tri-Cities market any longer, as the quality of radio personalities and music has taken a flush down the toilet. Listeners want some authenticity in their entertainment -- not some artificial crap.
I think that people are tired of "morning zoo" and "wild weekend" radio shows, and when given the choice, people would rather listen to music than some bunch of stupid yahoos with phony voices either "yucking it up" or trying to act cool.
lollercopter

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

It is the same guy. It's just that now that you're all grown up you now realize that his shtick sucks. Back when it was new, it still wasn't original, there was just much less else going on and you hadn't yet gotten out of the sticks or experienced anything. His show is dumb and his taste in music is laughable and homoerotic.
sheesh

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

Judged:

No. Mike is not dead. Yes he is on air at WQUT for real. Really him. No imposters. Orginal midnight rambler. Where have y'all been finding your info???
zoomer

Ellenboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

I remember listening to TMR in the '70's.
Tuned in to QUT for the first time in years back in the summer and lo and behold! The Rambler is back!
He's quite a character. I'm pretty sure it's the original. Now I'm in my mid-50's...not a hard rocker like my younger days.
My fav station is WNCW and the indie / world music scene.
Way too cool for crusty ol' QUT...LOL!!!
todd brown

Glade Spring, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2011

Judged:

wqut lies about always rockin.in the 80s wqut played top 40. yes they played madoana richard marx etc.wqut once banned guns n roses.ballocks to wqut.
back in the day

Ellenboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2011

Judged:

Wqut was in the early-mid '70's an AOR (album-oriented-rock) and somewhat free-format.
They would play album tracks that were not hits and little something unexpected sometimes. Sometimes the more obscure and "b-list" groups.
Around the late-70's WIMZ-FM went on air (formerly WBIR). The were "classic rock"...QUT changed to that format and have stayed with it ever since.
They don't trust their DJ's creativity and tastes.
All that matters is marketing surveys.

The Nervous Hospital

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

I am still in this here nervous hospital with Forrest, Forrest Gump and his friend Cap'n Dan. Every last Saturday of the month we all gathers around Forrest, Forrest Gump's old transistor radio for the Rambling Man show and we eats lots of mustard & biscuits. Last month we had some potted meat and this month we is supposed to have some French fried potaters. Umm-hmm.
not a fan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Judged:

I remember the Rambler from back in the 70s when I lived in Johnson City. WQUT used him to lure in the Saturday night party crowd since there was really nothing else to do once the local clubs closed for the night. As a result most of his listeners were just stoners & drunks who remained awake for the duration of his show until 5 or 6AM Sunday mornings. His gimmick was dressing up like KISS and talking like Wolfman Jack which was corny even back in the 70s except for the fact it was something different for the eastern Tennessee region. He remained on the air until the early 80s when he found that he could no longer compete with MTV and its then-new genre of music videos airing 24-7. I heard he turned to religion and was even a guest on one of the religious networks as he swore off rock and roll as being the devil's work. Regardless of whether this present Midnight Rambler is in fact the original or a poser, I can see no reason for his return other than for nostalgic purposes because his music is 3 decades old and his gimmick is worn to death.
Blank

Baxter, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

I have made posts on other places here dealing with the rumor that WQUT is changing formats. Satellite Radio is the way to go for music, and the tired old regular radio is sitting back and dying by suicide! Before Satellite radio, i too remember when WQUT was real album rock station, but by the late 80's they had degenerated into a lame top 40 station with a morning show by Steve Mann (a liability for ANY STATION)! It is sad to see regular radio die, but the evidence is rampant for the rumored format change for QUT. Like....the doing-away-with of their popular late nite weekend request shows, their stopping of playing anyhting other than the same old tired songs that have been played to death,and even having a fake (yes, FAKE) request noon show.. do they think the listener is STUPID enough to believe that listeners request the exact same songs they already play anyway, while they play endless commercials and Gerry George even kills 10 minutes reading restaurant lunch menus!) They even have increased their sports covergae to both UT football AND basketball (source of rumors of an imminent all-sports format?)Regular radio will always have a place for news/talk/sports,weather, school closings, etc. but as a music source, they are DEAD!! Check out Dish Radio and SIRIUS XM....it is awesome!!
Man Called Horse

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

We need "Carl" from sling blade, hu hum. He could take that there sling blade, some call it a keyser blade, hu hum, and hit this imposter betwixed the head, hu hum. That second chop nearly took his head clean off. Better call an ambulance or a hearse, hu humm. Never be another original TENNESSEE MIDNIGHT RAMBLER, hu humm
in the know

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

Blank wrote:
I have made posts on other places here dealing with the rumor that WQUT is changing formats. Satellite Radio is the way to go for music, and the tired old regular radio is sitting back and dying by suicide! Before Satellite radio, i too remember when WQUT was real album rock station, but by the late 80's they had degenerated into a lame top 40 station with a morning show by Steve Mann (a liability for ANY STATION)! It is sad to see regular radio die, but the evidence is rampant for the rumored format change for QUT. Like....the doing-away-with of their popular late nite weekend request shows, their stopping of playing anyhting other than the same old tired songs that have been played to death,and even having a fake (yes, FAKE) request noon show.. do they think the listener is STUPID enough to believe that listeners request the exact same songs they already play anyway, while they play endless commercials and Gerry George even kills 10 minutes reading restaurant lunch menus!) They even have increased their sports covergae to both UT football AND basketball (source of rumors of an imminent all-sports format?)Regular radio will always have a place for news/talk/sports,weather, school closings, etc. but as a music source, they are DEAD!! Check out Dish Radio and SIRIUS XM....it is awesome!!
This IDIOT has no idea WTF he is talking about...obviously he has a boner for WQUT and SIRIUS is paying him to say all this stuff...it's LIES...no format change...NO the request show is NOT fake..yes people request the same damn song every damn day of the week, every day of the year...commercials pay the bills...and it's JERI George...
let me guess you really don't know SQUAT about radio (OH no that's not a guess...looks to be a FACT!)...someone at WQUT wouldn't play your crappy song so you got a job at SIRIUS???

The Nervous Hospital

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

I aint got me no need fer any o that sattylight radio. I jus be a lissnin to the tertestical radio and ifin I dont like what they be a playin, I jus change it to another stayshun or I jus turn the dayum thang off. I dont be a needin no talkin or no sports or no news or no silly commershuls. I jus want to lissin to music on my transistical radio. I dont much cares if it be rollin rock or countried or rapped or gospical or jazzical or danced or whatever jus as long as its music. Umm-hmm.
Man called Horse

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

I am Karl Childers wrote:
I am still in this here nervous hospital with Forrest, Forrest Gump and his friend Cap'n Dan. Every last Saturday of the month we all gathers around Forrest, Forrest Gump's old transistor radio for the Rambling Man show and we eats lots of mustard & biscuits. Last month we had some potted meat and this month we is supposed to have some French fried potaters. Umm-hmm.
Yo Karl, thats Liutentent Dan and he aint got no legs. Seppin them special titanium legs. Momma always says, biscuits and mustard makes the Midnight Rambler come out at night. Im sending you'ns some battreys for your radio so you can listen to the rambler man. Hope you get out the hospital soon, that boy wants to play football again.
Man called Horse

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

not a fan wrote:
I remember the Rambler from back in the 70s when I lived in Johnson City. WQUT used him to lure in the Saturday night party crowd since there was really nothing else to do once the local clubs closed for the night. As a result most of his listeners were just stoners & drunks who remained awake for the duration of his show until 5 or 6AM Sunday mornings. His gimmick was dressing up like KISS and talking like Wolfman Jack which was corny even back in the 70s except for the fact it was something different for the eastern Tennessee region. He remained on the air until the early 80s when he found that he could no longer compete with MTV and its then-new genre of music videos airing 24-7. I heard he turned to religion and was even a guest on one of the religious networks as he swore off rock and roll as being the devil's work. Regardless of whether this present Midnight Rambler is in fact the original or a poser, I can see no reason for his return other than for nostalgic purposes because his music is 3 decades old and his gimmick is worn to death.
You best not be knockin The Rambler. Karl and me might come visit and give ya what fer. Hes got a keyser blade and they dont call me horse for nothing. tell'em karl.
rhobustrock

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

Damn, when are you people going to wake up and smell the carnations? The original Rambler has been dead for years. Anybody from the era knows this. I remember his show from back in the day, along with a JC Press feature that described his conversion to Christianity. It is common fact that he passed away a few years later. Mike James was the Rambler and he used to party like crazy out by the lake with the likes of Lilly Ambrose (Silver teeth and all) and company. The Big Hun can confirm his demise. Let him rest in peace.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of70
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Johnson City Forum right now

Search the Johnson City Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Don't deal with Smith's small engine repair in ... (Jul '09) 12 min Wolfman 61
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 34 min Carpet Cleaner 123,503
Debate: Gay Marriage - Johnson City, TN (Jul '10) 2 hr lol 212
Review: Tan 2000 (Sep '11) 3 hr RRR 31
Graybeal is the man for the JOB 3 hr Nepotism Gone Wild 3
Meet Donny Reagan, America's Most Racist Pastor? 4 hr Vern 349
Tr-Cities Holdings Methadone Clinic 5 hr The Latest 1
•••

Freeze Warning for Washington County was issued at April 17 at 2:05AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Johnson City Dating

more search filters