Lamar School Principal Blevins unfair to 8th graders

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
pioneer

Johnson City, TN

#1 Oct 21, 2010
8th graders at Lamar School have been fund raising to go to Washington DC. Now Blevins wants to combine trip with 7th grade on a trip to Atlanta. Mrs. Blevins had both grades to vote(not accurately). This should have been 8th grade vote only and by doing so of showing hands. I am urging all parents to call the teachers,principal,Central office and school boardmembers. Blevins is proving more and more to have her own agenda railroading others. We have a fairly new board with 2 new men who are more about seeing things accomplished. With Chad Williams and Phil Mclain you get rhetoric,Silvers doesnt know she is in the world and good luck with Ganger calling you back.
screwed

Johnson City, TN

#2 Oct 22, 2010
Boardmember Williams when contacted about the unfair ballgame entry for cafeteria people, Teacher assistants and bus drivers said it was decided by an athletic committee which Blevins is on and was adamant about changes. So Blevins thinks she and teachers are better than everyone else. Maybe if she stayed at school more often she would see how valuable employees are.
Lamar Mom

Johnson City, TN

#3 Oct 23, 2010
Where has she been lately?
Gray Parent

Johnson City, TN

#4 Oct 23, 2010
pioneer wrote:
8th graders at Lamar School have been fund raising to go to Washington DC. Now Blevins wants to combine trip with 7th grade on a trip to Atlanta. Mrs. Blevins had both grades to vote(not accurately). This should have been 8th grade vote only and by doing so of showing hands. I am urging all parents to call the teachers,principal,Central office and school boardmembers. Blevins is proving more and more to have her own agenda railroading others. We have a fairly new board with 2 new men who are more about seeing things accomplished. With Chad Williams and Phil Mclain you get rhetoric,Silvers doesnt know she is in the world and good luck with Ganger calling you back.
From what I am seeing...you are right about the two new school board members. I have children in Gray and Mr. Hammond has already taken on several issues and handled them very well! I hope he keeps up the momentum! Someone from Lamar needs to contact him with this matter.
alt

Johnson City, TN

#5 Oct 24, 2010
Gray Parent wrote:
<quoted text> From what I am seeing...you are right about the two new school board members. I have children in Gray and Mr. Hammond has already taken on several issues and handled them very well! I hope he keeps up the momentum! Someone from Lamar needs to contact him with this matter.
I think Hammond, Leonard, Mclain,Mabe and Brinkley will listen. Todd Ganger who I voted for never answers phone and seldom returns call from what I am hearing and experienced. Williams and Silvers seem to ramble and in the end never give a direct answer. As far as Mrs. Blevins she would not even talk to parents about new ballgame entry fees which she served on the committee to raise and also supported staff entry to games being cut. Blevins believes she is above everyone else. The School Director and Board need to remind her she is paid by the taxpayers.
SeriouslyPeople

Nashville, TN

#6 Oct 25, 2010
Who picks sending kids to Atlanta over Washington DC? Sounds like someone wants a free vacation. I have neices and nephews that go to Lamar and I've heard that Blevins is rarely ever at the school. How would she know what the students want?

And what about the candles the 8th grade sold? A girl from church was selling them and I bought a couple. At that time, the trip was to Washington and that's where I was told the money would go. Isn't that a little wrong to change trips when money has already been raised for Washington?

pioneer, great idea about calling board members. I would imagine the teachers hands are tied if this was the principal's idea. I wouldn't stop there though. Call the county comissioners. They have an education commitee. The more pressure the better. For that matter, someone should call WJHL. I'm sure they would be interested in this.

It's time someone took a stand for these kids. Blevins obviously is only thinking of herself.
parent

Johnson City, TN

#7 Oct 25, 2010
SeriouslyPeople wrote:
Who picks sending kids to Atlanta over Washington DC? Sounds like someone wants a free vacation. I have neices and nephews that go to Lamar and I've heard that Blevins is rarely ever at the school. How would she know what the students want?
And what about the candles the 8th grade sold? A girl from church was selling them and I bought a couple. At that time, the trip was to Washington and that's where I was told the money would go. Isn't that a little wrong to change trips when money has already been raised for Washington?
pioneer, great idea about calling board members. I would imagine the teachers hands are tied if this was the principal's idea. I wouldn't stop there though. Call the county comissioners. They have an education commitee. The more pressure the better. For that matter, someone should call WJHL. I'm sure they would be interested in this.
It's time someone took a stand for these kids. Blevins obviously is only thinking of herself.
I have communicated with 5 of the 9 schoolboard members. We want this issue to go before the board. Our new boardmembers are concerned there was never a meeting with teachers and parents to get their input on changes. Mr. Leonard, Mr. Williams,Mr. Hammond,Mr.McLain and Mr. Ganger are aware of this situation and other conflicts concerning Blevins. I know given the circumstances the will use their executive authority as allowed by state statue to overturn the administrations stance. Each member agreed Principals do not always have final say and are not to look down on parents. IN OTHER WORDS THANK GOD WE FINALLY HAVE A BOARD WITH THE BALLS AND BRAINS TO PUT THE TEACHERS AND STUDENTS FIRST.
Gray parent

Johnson City, TN

#8 Oct 25, 2010
parent wrote:
<quoted text>I have communicated with 5 of the 9 schoolboard members. We want this issue to go before the board. Our new boardmembers are concerned there was never a meeting with teachers and parents to get their input on changes. Mr. Leonard, Mr. Williams,Mr. Hammond,Mr.McLain and Mr. Ganger are aware of this situation and other conflicts concerning Blevins. I know given the circumstances the will use their executive authority as allowed by state statue to overturn the administrations stance. Each member agreed Principals do not always have final say and are not to look down on parents. IN OTHER WORDS THANK GOD WE FINALLY HAVE A BOARD WITH THE BALLS AND BRAINS TO PUT THE TEACHERS AND STUDENTS FIRST.
Amen! We as taxpayers and Parents of these students have a right to say no to stupidity!
Lamar Parent

Ashburn, GA

#9 Oct 28, 2010
I too was upset at first when I found out my daughter who is in the 8th grade at Lamar was not getting to go to Washington. That was until I went in to see Dr. Blevins and she explained the rationale behind the change of plans. The school administration and middle school teachers met on more than one occasion to discuss grade level trips, financial concerns from parents, students, and teachers, fundraisers, and what action needed to be taken. School fundraisers are not bringing in the money like previous years. Yes, both 7th and 8th grade students got to vote on the trip destination. Maybe only the 8th grade should have voted but it's over. Myself, I am pleased that the change of destination lowered the cost of the trip per student over $100.00. I don't know about you all but in our household we live paycheck to paycheck. Why not be thankful for the opportunities the students are getting. Other Washington County schools do not even take overnight trips. Dr. Blevins loves our students and you know what they love her too. At least she didn't take away the trip completely. She simply wants as many students as possible to get to experience opportunities beyond the classroom without putting a financial burden on families or the school in tough economic times. My daughter said Dr.Blevins came around room to room and discussed the trip with the students. She allowed students to give input. Think about it...who decided previous trip destinations? If you have questions or concerns I encourage you to go and talk to Dr. Blevins or Mrs. Gray. I may not always agree with their decisions but I have never been turned away or not given the opportunity to freely express my thoughts and concerns in a respectful setting.
Also Lamar Parent

Johnson City, TN

#10 Oct 28, 2010
Lamar Parent wrote:
I too was upset at first when I found out my daughter who is in the 8th grade at Lamar was not getting to go to Washington. That was until I went in to see Dr. Blevins and she explained the rationale behind the change of plans. The school administration and middle school teachers met on more than one occasion to discuss grade level trips, financial concerns from parents, students, and teachers, fundraisers, and what action needed to be taken. School fundraisers are not bringing in the money like previous years. Yes, both 7th and 8th grade students got to vote on the trip destination. Maybe only the 8th grade should have voted but it's over. Myself, I am pleased that the change of destination lowered the cost of the trip per student over $100.00. I don't know about you all but in our household we live paycheck to paycheck. Why not be thankful for the opportunities the students are getting. Other Washington County schools do not even take overnight trips. Dr. Blevins loves our students and you know what they love her too. At least she didn't take away the trip completely. She simply wants as many students as possible to get to experience opportunities beyond the classroom without putting a financial burden on families or the school in tough economic times. My daughter said Dr.Blevins came around room to room and discussed the trip with the students. She allowed students to give input. Think about it...who decided previous trip destinations? If you have questions or concerns I encourage you to go and talk to Dr. Blevins or Mrs. Gray. I may not always agree with their decisions but I have never been turned away or not given the opportunity to freely express my thoughts and concerns in a respectful setting.
You are very misinformed. Other schools do take overnight trips, just call for yourself. It is not over because schoolboard members will have final say and have the authority to overturn poor decisions made by administration. The pious Blevins failed to discuss the issue with parents.
Blevins has a poor attitude toward parents and teachers often letting them know she is in control. This did not sit well with the 6 boardmembers contacted nor the County Commissioners. Ron Dykes scolded one of the Commissioners but after going over the county charter and state law commissioners have every right to pursue matters. Dykes needs to do his homework. Protocol is mutual and Blevins has shown none. The Principal as well as Administration will look foolis next Thursday as at least 5 boardmembers will bed weighing in on this issue.
yet another Lamar parent

Nashville, TN

#11 Oct 29, 2010
Lamar Parent wrote:
I have to agree with Another Lamar Parent. You've been VERY misinformed. My daughter sold candles for the trip and was excited because the class sold MORE than any other year, not less, and there are almost half as many students in 8th grade this year. I'd call that a successful fundraiser.

As far as the price, after speaking with parents of students who went to Washington last year, the price is the same. And yes, other schools in Washington Co go on overnight trips. A co-workers son is going to Washington DC with Westview and I've heard other schools on the North end are going as well.

If the price is such an issue, why was the 6th grade trip cut back, the 8th grade trip cut out, but yet the 7th grade is the same as planned at the beginning of the year? Don't just take Blevins's word for it, ask around. You'll find the parents are telling a very different story.

True the economy is bad, and yes, most families do live paycheck to paycheck as you put it. However, if I'm paying money so my daughter gets to go on a school trip, I would MUCH rather that money go toward her seeing historical places and the capital of our nation than a soda drink factory.
hmm

Johnson City, TN

#12 Oct 30, 2010
Lamar Parent wrote:
So who is the LIAR you are Blevins? Gray Elementary's, Boones Creek Middle School's, and WestView's eigth graders are going to Washington D.C. These are just the ones I called and am sure the others are. SO PLEASE ANSWER DID YOU LIE OR DID BLEVINS?
Stand Up and Be Heard

Nashville, TN

#13 Oct 30, 2010
The Washington County School Board will be meeting this coming Thursday, November 4th at 6:30pm at the Main Central Office in Jonesborough. PLEASE come to this meeting and support the 8th graders in their effort to have this decesion overturned so they may visit our nations capital! If you can attend, try to arrive around 6:00pm to speak with the Board Members before the meeting or if you want to speak during the meeting call and request to be added to the agenda. If you cannot attend the meeting at least pass this info on to ALL your friends online or try to call the Board Members & Commissioners by phone! We need all the calls and support we can get!
/
School Board Members are:
Mary Lo Silvers, Second District
Jack Leonard , First District
Todd Ganger, Second District
Clarence Mabe, Vice Chair, Third District
David Hammond, Third District
Chad Williams, First District
Phillip L. McLain, Chairman, Second District
William Brinkley, Third District
Keith Ervin, First District
/
County Commissioners representing Lamar are:
Ethan Flynn, Johnson City
Ken Lyon, Johnson City
Richard Matherly, Jonesborough
/
County Comissioners serving on Education Committee:
Ethan Flynn, Johnson City
Ben Bowman, Limestone
Lee Chase, Johnson City
Joe Corso, Johnson City
Skip Oldham, Johnson City
/
Here is a link to the Commissioners info:
/
http://www.washingtoncountytn.com/...
Lamar Parent

Bowling Green, SC

#14 Oct 30, 2010
I did not say no other schools were not taking overnight trips. I simply said other schools in Washington County (Grandview, Jonesborough Middle, and South Central) are not taking overnight trips. Neither I nor Blevins is lying. Again, I wander if you have even contacted Blevins yourself. Is your child going on the Atlanta trip? There are more important issues facing out students than where they are going on a fieldtrip.
Stand Up

Johnson City, TN

#15 Oct 30, 2010
It's about time the people in Washington County were taking back the school system from the evil dictators of the past and present. I'm proud of Lamar parents for standing up for their kids. Hooray for this school board and their willingness to listen.
Yet Another Lamar Parent

Nashville, TN

#16 Oct 30, 2010
Lamar Parent wrote:
I did not say no other schools were not taking overnight trips. I simply said other schools in Washington County (Grandview, Jonesborough Middle, and South Central) are not taking overnight trips. Neither I nor Blevins is lying. Again, I wander if you have even contacted Blevins yourself. Is your child going on the Atlanta trip? There are more important issues facing out students than where they are going on a fieldtrip.
I have tried to contact Blevins and was told she "wasn't in" which, if you've read all the posts on this thread, doesn't come to a surprise to anyone.

I think it's a shame that those other schools you mentioned aren't going on overnight trips. I suppose that their teachers may not want to put forth the time and effort it takes to plan a trip like the Lamar teachers have. My daughter and her friends said the 8th grade had already purchased tickets to some of the places they were going to visit on the trip to Washington. It takes planning to get a trip like this together, not just making a list of places the class may, or may not, get to visit, which is what the info my daughter brought home on the Atlanta trip seemed to be.

This isn't entirely about where the trip is as much how poorly this has been handled. The kids have been told one thing, then another, then voted in an unfair excuse for an election. You're right, our kids DO have more important issues to worry about. Which is exactly why I hope my daughter is learning a lesson about how local government works and that she is learning she can stand up for what she believes in. This is her last year at Lamar, her last year with her friends. It should be a special trip. Not a trip with an entire other group of students that she may not know.
hmm

Johnson City, TN

#17 Oct 30, 2010
Yet Another Lamar Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I have tried to contact Blevins and was told she "wasn't in" which, if you've read all the posts on this thread, doesn't come to a surprise to anyone.
I think it's a shame that those other schools you mentioned aren't going on overnight trips. I suppose that their teachers may not want to put forth the time and effort it takes to plan a trip like the Lamar teachers have. My daughter and her friends said the 8th grade had already purchased tickets to some of the places they were going to visit on the trip to Washington. It takes planning to get a trip like this together, not just making a list of places the class may, or may not, get to visit, which is what the info my daughter brought home on the Atlanta trip seemed to be.
This isn't entirely about where the trip is as much how poorly this has been handled. The kids have been told one thing, then another, then voted in an unfair excuse for an election. You're right, our kids DO have more important issues to worry about. Which is exactly why I hope my daughter is learning a lesson about how local government works and that she is learning she can stand up for what she believes in. This is her last year at Lamar, her last year with her friends. It should be a special trip. Not a trip with an entire other group of students that she may not know.
I have personally talked to 7 schoolboard members. 6 of them agrred very poor job in communication, 3 are not impressed with Blevins in other areas. 5 have committed to me and other parents they can and will reverse decision. 3 told me they checked with state board and Tennessee annotated which gives them the right.
hmm

Johnson City, TN

#18 Oct 30, 2010
Lamar Parent wrote:
Your post was misleading just as is Blevins intentions for changing feild trip. I Guess Blevins daughter wants to go to Atlanta. Maybe Blevins finds the Coke musuem (whatever it is) more educational but I would lean toward DC being. What next Mrs. Blevins the little debbie bakery. If the IGNORANT, LYING, OVERBEARING, DICTATING BLEVINS REALLY WANTS TO SAVE MONEY HOW ABOUT JUST STAYING HOME AND GET THEM A TOUR THROUGH THE DR. ENUF PLANT.
Cherokee Parent

Nashville, TN

#19 Oct 31, 2010
Also Lamar Parent wrote:
<quoted text>You are very misinformed. Other schools do take overnight trips, just call for yourself. It is not over because schoolboard members will have final say and have the authority to overturn poor decisions made by administration. The pious Blevins failed to discuss the issue with parents.
Blevins has a poor attitude toward parents and teachers often letting them know she is in control. This did not sit well with the 6 boardmembers contacted nor the County Commissioners. Ron Dykes scolded one of the Commissioners but after going over the county charter and state law commissioners have every right to pursue matters. Dykes needs to do his homework. Protocol is mutual and Blevins has shown none. The Principal as well as Administration will look foolis next Thursday as at least 5 boardmembers will bed weighing in on this issue.
Thanks to Also Lamar Parent, I began looking at the state laws dealing with school systems online. I came across the following state law (don't know if it applies here but hope it helps):

Tennessee Code Annotated 49-2-210. School-based decision making.

(a) Any local board of education may initiate a program of school based decision making and may designate areas including, but not limited to, management, curriculum, classroom management, professional development and budget to be decided at the school by school personnel, including classroom teachers.

(b) Any board of education establishing a program of school based decision making shall define the procedures for implementation of its policies. Policies should recognize that school based decision making is a collaborative approach to planning and problem solving. Board policies may include guidelines for the participation of school personnel and others, including teachers, students, parents of students and other persons in the local community.

(c) The board may permit such decisions as are made locally to be at variance with board policies. If the local decisions impact rules and policies of the state board of education or the commissioner of education, they shall be implemented pursuant to 49-1-207, except that there shall be no limit to the number of systems participating. No such local decisions shall have the effect of nullifying requirements of law.

[Acts 1992, ch. 535, 31.]
concerned

Johnson City, TN

#20 Oct 31, 2010
Heard rumor Hammons was in serious car wreck in GReene County this afternoon-any truth to that and so he has our prayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 1 hr Corky 703
Legal advice 5 hr misty 2
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare (Nov '14) 10 hr corrupt 72
act call center johnson city tn (Oct '10) Sun manonthemoon 325
Washington County Taxpayers Wake Up Sun Unbelievable 16
Thank God Ron Dykes is leaving. May 23 Goodness 17
Karla Kyte Productions May 23 Goodness 2
More from around the web

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE