ELECTRIC POLICE cars
Saving gas Saving taxes

Johnson City, TN

#1 Jul 14, 2014
Yes could we have electric police cars to save tax dollars ? I mean how much do we spend on gas each month ? They could be charged by a solar set up . How much gas wear and tear is from idling when they are sitting waiting on the next speeding or traffic violation or just hanging out with their buddy in the car next to them .
Why not

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jul 17, 2014
Tax payers buy the gas why not cut our expense we can afford MRAP s a what 400 k so lets cut our county fuel bills .
Nic Tesla

Kingsport, TN

#3 Jul 18, 2014
Saving gas Saving taxes wrote:
Yes could we have electric police cars to save tax dollars ? I mean how much do we spend on gas each month ? They could be charged by a solar set up . How much gas wear and tear is from idling when they are sitting waiting on the next speeding or traffic violation or just hanging out with their buddy in the car next to them .
Electric cars are not developed enough for police use. With such a small range of mileage between charges and the fact that most electric cars spend more time charging than being in operation makes it not feasible. It's not like electricity is free. Along with the car you must have a charging station, and that ain't cheap.
Booker Phillips

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jul 18, 2014
Saving gas Saving taxes wrote:
As with all batteries, those in electric vehicles have limited life spans and are extremely costly to replace. Also, most warranties only allow for certified technicians from the auto maker to work on vehicles with electric batteries. When you are talking about a fleet of several hundred vehicles, the costs to purchase and maintain electric vehicles would far exceed the costs of fuel.
Nic Tesla

Kingsport, TN

#5 Jul 18, 2014
Booker Phillips wrote:
<quoted text>
As with all batteries, those in electric vehicles have limited life spans and are extremely costly to replace. Also, most warranties only allow for certified technicians from the auto maker to work on vehicles with electric batteries. When you are talking about a fleet of several hundred vehicles, the costs to purchase and maintain electric vehicles would far exceed the costs of fuel.
You are right, Booker. Electric cars are just not ready for the rigors of police usage. I hate to imagine a police car going dry while on the job. The costs really exceeds the value of such an endeavor.
Wheels On T

Cherokee, NC

#6 Jul 19, 2014
Crazy idea.
Tax savings

Johnson City, TN

#7 Jul 27, 2014
A great ideal I bet one of the major electric car makers would help is the cost to see how they stand up to the abuse that police officers put on vehicles after all its not theirs we tax payers keep the maintence up . What about Hybrids it would cut down on idling times and fuel waste .
Report Abuse

Johnson City, TN

#8 Jul 28, 2014
Whats the GAS bill every month ? Its not a crazy ideal if you look at in ways to save the Tax payers money and still protect and serve .
Stan

Moore, SC

#9 Jul 29, 2014
Really?
Gummy Smithdeal

Kingsport, TN

#10 Jul 29, 2014
Why not lessen the automobile fleet and put some policemen on the old foot beat in high crime areas? It used to work out very well.
Geene

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jul 30, 2014
Yeah, put some of them on foot and the rest in smart cars.....then you all can fuss when they don't show up as quick as they used to when some thug is breaking into your daughter's bedroom window.
one hour later

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jul 30, 2014
They have electric cars that go 160 MPH beside I think a hybrid would be better they could save use millions of tax dollars over the long run .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police officer fired after shooting at squirrel... (Nov '13) 40 min just DO IT 125
5j Barrow Appearing at The Acoustic Coffeehouse 3 hr Cool Hipster 1
Mayor Eldridge's Behavior 9 hr JES 3
Ignoring red light camera citations. (May '14) 9 hr Fighter of The Man 63
David Hammond for schoolboard. No 10 hr Pray 13
Washington County Run by Crooks 22 hr Midway 4
Jonesborough Elementary 22 hr Question 4

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages