Charter Internet Speed
FedupwithCharter

Johnson City, TN

#1 Apr 25, 2013
Has anybody noticed that their internet connection with Charter has slowed down considerably in the past month or so. Everytime I check my speed it gets slower and slower? It's as slow or slower than a DSL connection. They keep raising the price but my connection speed gets worse. As soon as the electric company has internet connections Charter is history!
MayBee

Kingsport, TN

#2 Apr 25, 2013
FedupwithCharter wrote:
Has anybody noticed that their internet connection with Charter has slowed down considerably in the past month or so. Everytime I check my speed it gets slower and slower? It's as slow or slower than a DSL connection. They keep raising the price but my connection speed gets worse. As soon as the electric company has internet connections Charter is history!
I'm no fan of either Charter or Centurylink, but I prefer cable over DSL any time. Of course the claims of blazing speed are bogus with either provider. One big factor is whether you connect via a wireless router. Charter will tell you that in the fine print. You might want to take a look at your router. It may need reconfiguring or replacement.
hmmmm

Abingdon, VA

#3 Apr 25, 2013
I'm getting 25-29Mbps consistently with Comcast. Go to www.speedtest.net and run the test to see what your speed is.
fedup

Johnson City, TN

#4 Apr 30, 2013
My router and my computer are brand new. I have done the speed test and it was almost as slow as DSL.I think they make the connections Sh*t on purpose so you will order the higher speeds. I just want it to be as fast as what I am supposedly paying for. My speeds were faster before , this has just recently started happening.
sameold

Kingsport, TN

#5 Apr 30, 2013
fedup wrote:
My router and my computer are brand new. I have done the speed test and it was almost as slow as DSL.I think they make the connections Sh*t on purpose so you will order the higher speeds. I just want it to be as fast as what I am supposedly paying for. My speeds were faster before , this has just recently started happening.
Yeah, I was on the phone with tech support a long time last night. Seems my connection slows down to a crawl late at night and has for the last week. It's fine right now @ 2PM. I went through the usual shuck and jive on the phone, and the said we will send out a technician to your home on Saturday. That's just a pain in the ass for me when the problem is obviously on their end.
sameold

Kingsport, TN

#6 May 1, 2013
Lo and behold, my Charter connection has mysteriously "fixed" itself! I think that says a lot for the bogus tech support. I'm scheduled for a technician to come and check out my connection this weekend. I'm just gonna lay in bed and not answer the door! More or less, they screwed up and I'm not going to entertain them. We are paying good money for this shoddy service and deserve much better.
hmmmm

Abingdon, VA

#7 May 1, 2013
Just curious, are you finding your speeds are slowing mostly down in the evenings?
Cheese Puff Daddy

Park Hills, MO

#8 May 1, 2013
I got a cable/Internet bundle deal from Charter. Since day 1 it's been a hassle. I got highly pissed at the first tech they sent and kicked him out of my house. Second go around I requested a new tech, they sent the same idiot. He finally got my wifi working but hooked up my HD TV box up totally wrong and didn't enter an IP address into the box. Trip 3 a new tech arrived and hooked everything up correctly. Since then I've had billing issues almost every month and my cable service is less dependable then satellite was. My wifi box has a bad connection in the power plug and if my cat breathes in it I lose connection. Why don't I call to have it fixed you ask? Lol, because the techs here tend to destroy more then they fix. Mind you I live in MO so this is no reflection on the tri cities installers. I've come to loathe Charter and as soon as the contract is up I'm switching to another provider out of spite.
Karl

Jonesborough, TN

#9 May 1, 2013
sameold wrote:
Lo and behold, my Charter connection has mysteriously "fixed" itself! I think that says a lot for the bogus tech support. I'm scheduled for a technician to come and check out my connection this weekend. I'm just gonna lay in bed and not answer the door! More or less, they screwed up and I'm not going to entertain them. We are paying good money for this shoddy service and deserve much better.
Cable internet is a different technology than DSL. Your cable modem works on a shared network. That means if a lot of people are on the internet on your network, your speed will be slower. A slow connection just doesn't fix itself. I am betting you either have a program that was accessing the internet without you knowing it or there are some people on your network downloading a lot of stuff at the same time. Of course, if your modem is hooked to a wireless router, interference or your router itself could be slowing down your speed. Blaming Charter for slow speeds without checking these other things is a little unfair. And no, I don't work for Charter or any other cable company. I just know how the technology works.
sameold

Kingsport, TN

#10 May 1, 2013
Karl wrote:
<quoted text>
Cable internet is a different technology than DSL. Your cable modem works on a shared network. That means if a lot of people are on the internet on your network, your speed will be slower. A slow connection just doesn't fix itself. I am betting you either have a program that was accessing the internet without you knowing it or there are some people on your network downloading a lot of stuff at the same time. Of course, if your modem is hooked to a wireless router, interference or your router itself could be slowing down your speed. Blaming Charter for slow speeds without checking these other things is a little unfair. And no, I don't work for Charter or any other cable company. I just know how the technology works.
Karl, I appreciate your input, but have to disagree in this instance. What you said is true in many cases. I run a clean machine and have 12 years of experience as an A+ certified computer technician. What this type of problem usually involves is a bad node (more or less) on Charter's network. And you are right, too many users on a node can slow you down, but they would have to be downloading TB's of data to bring on the severe problems I was having. But my problems were beyond just a slow connection and I apologize for not going into detail about it. Tech support is the usual talking to a machine for a long time before you have the opportunity to speak to a technician. Just to humor them you have to jump through hoops (resets, renewal of IP address, etc). I begged and pleaded for the tech to have an engineer check the validity of the node. The on the phone techs have little tools available and can only diagnose a glaring and obvious problem and I agreed to have a technician come out to the house, knowing that if an engineer had a look beforehand, they would find the node problem between then and now. When I said the problem fixed itself, I was being sarcastic and I apologize if my post was misleading.
Cheese Puff Daddy

Park Hills, MO

#11 May 2, 2013
sameold wrote:
<quoted text>Karl, I appreciate your input, but have to disagree in this instance. What you said is true in many cases. I run a clean machine and have 12 years of experience as an A+ certified computer technician. What this type of problem usually involves is a bad node (more or less) on Charter's network. And you are right, too many users on a node can slow you down, but they would have to be downloading TB's of data to bring on the severe problems I was having. But my problems were beyond just a slow connection and I apologize for not going into detail about it. Tech support is the usual talking to a machine for a long time before you have the opportunity to speak to a technician. Just to humor them you have to jump through hoops (resets, renewal of IP address, etc). I begged and pleaded for the tech to have an engineer check the validity of the node. The on the phone techs have little tools available and can only diagnose a glaring and obvious problem and I agreed to have a technician come out to the house, knowing that if an engineer had a look beforehand, they would find the node problem between then and now. When I said the problem fixed itself, I was being sarcastic and I apologize if my post was misleading.
I can't call Charter without becoming irate. It's a shame what one has to go through to talk to a real
Person and once you do it's a crap shoot as to how helpful they will..
fedup

Johnson City, TN

#12 May 6, 2013
The problem is their outdated equipment and I'm sure the system is overloaded too. They even downgraded to a cheaper and crappier cable channel guide a couple of years ago, too. All the while charging more and more and more. They CAN boost your signal because they've done for me before. I get tired of having to go through all the nonsense when I have a problem ,too. If they can boost it then they can weaken it. Also ISP changes constantly sometimes I get it all the way from South Carolina. Recently I've noticed it's from Johnson City, where I live, and that's when the problems with it being slow started. I don't want to mess with satellite. Like I said the electric company is already working on using their system to stream internet and when they do, after being a customer for over 20 years, I'm gone.
me too

Kingsport, TN

#13 May 6, 2013
fedup wrote:
The problem is their outdated equipment and I'm sure the system is overloaded too. They even downgraded to a cheaper and crappier cable channel guide a couple of years ago, too. All the while charging more and more and more. They CAN boost your signal because they've done for me before. I get tired of having to go through all the nonsense when I have a problem ,too. If they can boost it then they can weaken it. Also ISP changes constantly sometimes I get it all the way from South Carolina. Recently I've noticed it's from Johnson City, where I live, and that's when the problems with it being slow started. I don't want to mess with satellite. Like I said the electric company is already working on using their system to stream internet and when they do, after being a customer for over 20 years, I'm gone.
Me too and I told them so.
fedup

Johnson City, TN

#14 May 6, 2013
One more note, Charter also tries to hijack your web browser through your modem. Go to your add-ons on your browser and if you see Charter on it , disable it. Don't ever download their security software either, it's chock full of spyware. Get your own.
Gungho

Kingsport, TN

#15 May 10, 2013
Seems to me Charter is all messed up. Off and on my connection crawls to being useless after 1AM. I have contacted them many times with the usual gotta send out a tech bull hockey. It just seems sort of obvious the connection heals itself eventually. Why don't they just tel the truth and admit that the problem is not on our end but is on theirs? I don't have time for a flunky to come to my home and shoot me a line of bs when the problem is some stupid stuff that is not my fault. Stuff like this does not heal itself and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. The next thing to replace them will be on my list.
Hopeful

Johnson City, TN

#16 Jun 12, 2013
For those that are having issues, try using Google's public DNS. It seemed to help my crawling speeds that I have been getting.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dn...
Kathy

Sutherlin, OR

#17 Oct 28, 2013
sameold wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I was on the phone with tech support a long time last night. Seems my connection slows down to a crawl late at night and has for the last week. It's fine right now @ 2PM. I went through the usual shuck and jive on the phone, and the said we will send out a technician to your home on Saturday. That's just a pain in the ass for me when the problem is obviously on their end.
I have charter, every single night my speed never gets past 5 to 6, it just crawls and is so darn frustrating I could scream!!!!! If I call a tech they always mention deleting cookies, trust me, been there done that, still crawls along!!!!
Nick Tesla

Kingsport, TN

#18 Oct 28, 2013
Kathy wrote:
<quoted text>I have charter, every single night my speed never gets past 5 to 6, it just crawls and is so darn frustrating I could scream!!!!! If I call a tech they always mention deleting cookies, trust me, been there done that, still crawls along!!!!
Best thing to do is continuously give them calls over it. Keep calling if you can take the b.s. they feed you. It never hurts to ask if they mind you recording the conversation, even if you really won't. Demand that AN ENGINEER receives your messages. 9 out of 10 times they will have to fix a bad node. Sometimes a "super user" aka: illegal high volume person on your node (think of a node as the local point where most of your neighborhood gets their share of the internet, with up to 500 people on it), downloading tons of stuff in excess of the bandwith will cause a problem, more or less hogging it all. It is up to them to find this miscreant and either prosecute or ban them. Don't give up! It takes persistence to make them do their job! When they want to send a technician to your house, refuse and let them know all is well there. Be prepared for them to try to feed you a bunch of b.s. about a relay near your house, a bad switch, etc. to be the problem, which they have isolated and will fix very soon. They are just trying to save face and not admit the real problem. I hope you get it fixed soon, just remember, don't let them hoodwink you!

Ed Smith

Knoxville, TN

#19 Oct 29, 2013
Just be glad you live someplace you can even get cable. We don't.

CenturyLink DSL, which they claim is about 750k, and consistently tests at 500ish....and for which we get the privilege of paying 29.99/mo instead of the 19.99/mo they advertise on big billboards in town ( for 3-5meg service )
Helder

Glendale, CA

#20 Apr 4, 2016
My internet speed 27 Mbps. I pay for 100 Mbps. I noticed I had a window open to Amazon I closed the windo and my speed jumped to 95 Mbps
Thought I'd put out something positive

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moving back to JC 49 min Jeez Louise 9
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 1 hr DonotBeThatNaive 1,561
Local police departments respond to military eq... (May '15) 1 hr drifter 6
uber tricities - $20 off your first ride with p... 3 hr Crazy 5
Fake Muslim Democrat at DNC 3 hr Loser 206
Jerry Pratt (Sep '12) 5 hr jpwhat 23
Safeway pest control caught stealing (Jan '13) 17 hr Concerned citizen 39

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance