Nurses - MSHA or Wellmont?

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
just askin

Kingsport, TN

#1 Dec 12, 2010
Does anyone know how much MSHA and/or Wellmont starts out paying their nurses? I hear something different from every person and starting salaries can't be THAT different. When I say nurse, I mean RN.

Does having a BSN make any difference?

I have a degree but I'm thinking about going back to school for nursing and applying for the scholarship - either at wellmont or msha. So, I'd have a BSN.

It seems like in other parts of the country nurses are easily making $30 an hour and I know it's nowhere near that here (to start). Why do nurses stay here and settle for low pay?
been to both

Lenoir City, TN

#2 Dec 16, 2010
It depends on how much they like you at Wellmont or MSHA. Men tend to make more than women. The average new grad is making $18-21/ hr at either place. Experienced nurses tend to make less (go figure) unless they are well connected.
The area is saturated with new grads all the time. Therefore the only shortage either facility ever has is created themselves by running staff off. There is no need for them to improve their employment practices (like pay) because they can always fill positions.
Nursing is a great career in other parts of the country and both of these facilities can give you some very good experience that you wouldn't get other places. However, if you are looking to feel fulfilled in your career or appreciated as a professional, as a nurse, you should get the experience then leave this area or go back to school for your masters. Even with a masters though the professional perks are much less in this area than the rest of the country, especially out west. Many BSN's get their experience then go into travel nursing.
just askin

Kingsport, TN

#3 Dec 16, 2010
thanks for the response. i was told by someone in HR at MSHA that new grads start at 18 which is pretty good, but not in comparison to others. i'm wondering who would start at 21?

men make more in every profession, period - it's amazing in 2010 that's still the case.

there's no way i'll be going for a masters - by the time i get my BSN i'll have two degrees and spent 6 years + a lot of debt! i've decided to get my CNA cert. and hopefully get a job at a hospital so i can feel it out before i sign my life away for a scholarship. i know it must suck to be an experienced nurse and be "easily replaced" by new grads, but a lot of new grads are in my shoes and got their RN as a second degree and have no choice but to start working to look out for #1.
Kat

Ringgold, GA

#4 Oct 5, 2011
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT under any circumstances, take the nursing scholarship from either health system, especially Mountain States Health Alliance! I am a new RN and I took the scholarship and am regretting it. It's a long story, but taking the scholarship was the biggest mistake of my life.
Kat

Ringgold, GA

#5 Oct 5, 2011
And I'd like to add that I have friends that took it that feel the same way. Mountain States will screw you over, big time!
good

Ringgold, GA

#6 Oct 10, 2011
agree
bobby ricky

Murfreesboro, TN

#7 Oct 10, 2011
Kat wrote:
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT under any circumstances, take the nursing scholarship from either health system, especially Mountain States Health Alliance! I am a new RN and I took the scholarship and am regretting it. It's a long story, but taking the scholarship was the biggest mistake of my life.
Would love to hear the cons to the scholarship. I know someone who is considering one.
daddy o

Watauga, TN

#8 Oct 10, 2011
I have a couple of friends that are NPs who work for MSHA in the ER. Both are making over $50.00 per hr.
just sayin

Johnson City, TN

#9 May 22, 2012
well, kat, you can say, "i told you so!"

i went with the MSHA scholarship. i'm not even finished with school yet and i'm already regretting it.
lily

York, SC

#10 May 23, 2012
Kat wrote:
And I'd like to add that I have friends that took it that feel the same way. Mountain States will screw you over, big time!
How do they screw you over? I've also heard bad things, and I was just wondering what specifically.
Lol

United States

#11 May 23, 2012
Guess that explains why a lot of the nurses are so hateful..living in misery. MSHA is a nightmare!!!
nurse

Nashville, TN

#12 May 23, 2012
I worked at MSHA for about 2 weeks and quit. They make it sound all dandy when they hire you...but they lieeeee.
lily

United States

#13 May 24, 2012
nurse wrote:
I worked at MSHA for about 2 weeks and quit. They make it sound all dandy when they hire you...but they lieeeee.
can you be more specific? I'm really curious lol
depends

Johnson City, TN

#14 May 24, 2012
i'm sure it depends which facility and even which unit you work for. i had a bad experience with my manager even though i've never had problems anywhere in the past. as long as you're willing to work 5 days a week (12 hour shifts) that particular manager loved you. otherwise, forget it. you're nothing but disposable. also, they don't want to know the bad things you see. as long as you keep your mouth shut and they don't know there's a problem then there isn't one in their eyes. i also resigned.
depends

Johnson City, TN

#15 May 24, 2012
actually, "lol"...if you're a miserable nurse you'll get along just fine there. if you're a good nurse who cares about the patients and isn't there to make friends then you'll never make it.
Emily

Columbus, OH

#16 May 25, 2012
Here in Columbus, OH starting pay for nursing grads is $27-$34 working 4 days x 12 hrs and then off for 3 days. Grads normally get their choice of days or nights since we have more than enough volunteers for both.
Worried

Dayton, TN

#17 Jul 27, 2012
I have the MSHA scholarship. I graduate in a year and I am finding out many things about the hospital that I don't like. I wish I wouldn't have taken the scholarship. Could you tell me a little on how they screwed you over? I am thinking about canceling my contract...
decalsrus

Kingsport, TN

#18 Oct 10, 2012
just askin wrote:
Does anyone know how much MSHA and/or Wellmont starts out paying their nurses? I hear something different from every person and starting salaries can't be THAT different. When I say nurse, I mean RN.
Does having a BSN make any difference?
I have a degree but I'm thinking about going back to school for nursing and applying for the scholarship - either at wellmont or msha. So, I'd have a BSN.
It seems like in other parts of the country nurses are easily making $30 an hour and I know it's nowhere near that here (to start). Why do nurses stay here and settle for low pay?
I wanted to know what tthey start their LPNs out with?
pay

Chatsworth, GA

#19 Oct 10, 2012
LPN starts out around 11..maybe 12 depending on experience. RN starts out at 19.
wait for it

Powell, TN

#20 Oct 12, 2012
pay wrote:
LPN starts out around 11..maybe 12 depending on experience. RN starts out at 19.
my gosh you can make that in a factory without the education........wow thats sad that nurses are paid so little.........although I have been in MSHA 2 times in the past 1yr and oh my......it was bad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Washington County Schools Cover Up 4 hr Truth Seeker 4
Poll Who will you vote for in August for Congress? (Jul '14) 7 hr Justadog 2
You's Dumb Girls 8 hr Mature Lady 17
Drs willing to treat pain management aggressive... (Jul '12) 20 hr Harley 67
'Tennessee GOP' Twitter Account Really Russian... Thu Rose 4
County School Superintendent Thu Look 56
Review: Watauga Recovery Center (Sep '12) Thu Elmer Gantry 23

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance