Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“What you see, is what you get!”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 30, 2010
I bought a used 2008 Kia Sorento back in April of this year. Under the circumstances I really didn't pay much attention to the car when I tried it out. Well, I brought my original vehicle home and we proceeded to work a deal over the phone and I asked the salesman, did the Sorento have cruise control on it. He said that it did cause all the LX's do. So I agreed to buy it. A family member from out of state was visiting me during this time and they kept wanting me to come and close the deal, I told them no time and time again that my family was here and I wasn't going to leave them. So, the salesman said that he would bring me the car, 60 miles away. So he did and we closed the deal at my dining room table. I asked him again if the Sorento had cruise control, he said it did. Well, driving all the way down here, I figured it must have. He left with my vehicle and went back to Johnson City. I got in the Sorento and was looking around it and for the life of me, I couldn't find the cruise control. I called him and he said that he was sorry and there was nothing he could do about it. I had also asked for a carfax for the Sorento, he forgot to bring it with him. I told him that I wanted it, he faxed me the sheet the next day. I was not happy with the vehicle whatsoever from the beginning, since I had been lied to. So, this week I go back and find one that I knew I would be happy with and worked out a deal. They ran a carfax on the Sorento and asked me if it had been wrecked, I told them that I hadn't wrecked it and the carfax I had didn't know anything, but unfortunately, Grindstaff only let me have 1 sheet of the 3 it was suppose to have. Apparently, the other 2 sheets showed that the Sorento had been wrecked. I got rid of that car as fast as I could. I now drive a very nice Honda CR-V from Johnson City Honda. I feel that these guys at the Honda dealership were so much more honest. They even gave me a 3 page carfax report. So, if any of you are planning on shopping for a used vehicle, please DO NOT GO TO GRINDSTAFF AUTOMOTIVE GROUP! They are unreliable, dishonest crooks. I know that alot of dealers are the same but Grindstaff stands out. I hear that they have done alot of people this way.

Location hidden

#2 Sep 30, 2010
I also called the "BOSS" number and complained to him, he said that he would talk to his salesman and call me right back! He lied! The salesman called me back and called me a liar! I will not lie to or for anyone, I just think that they are a very replicable company and I wanted to warn others about them.

Location hidden

#3 Sep 30, 2010
I meant to say that they are not a very replicable company! Sorry about that.
JustMe

Tarpon Springs, FL

#4 Sep 30, 2010
Their service dept sucks as well. They all but killed my Jeep and wouldn't stand behind the work I wouldn't let those idiots work on a hotwheels or matchbox car.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#5 Sep 30, 2010
I worked for Grindstaff for less than a week. What a horrendous few days. In my opinion no one in their right mind should ever purchase a vehicle from them. I believe they are downright nasty people and plain crooks.

Location hidden

#6 Oct 1, 2010
If I lived closer to them, I would ride by their lot and make them lose customers by talking them out of buying from them. There should be something done about the crooks!
judy

Kingsport, TN

#7 Oct 4, 2010
the owner if scum
HAWGJAWLS

Kingsport, TN

#8 Oct 18, 2010
Was your salesman Joe Whitaker? Sounds about right.

Location hidden

#9 Oct 18, 2010
I believe it was! How did you know?
HAWGJAWLS

Kingsport, TN

#10 Oct 20, 2010
DonnaT wrote:
I believe it was! How did you know?
I made the mistake of buying a vehicle from Grindstaff Kia and had the unfortunate experience of having him as my salesperson. Just a horrible experience as soon as I had signed the papers. I've called KIA and let them know how I feel, and they know what's going on at the dealership, but the only thing they can do is keep it on file since Grindstaff is a private dealer. Hopefully they'll get enough complaints and pull the dealership from them.

Luckily, the vehicle has been great so far but there's no way, come hell or high water, I'll go back to that dealership for ANYTHING.
former kia owner

Murfreesboro, TN

#11 Oct 21, 2010
I will not do business there any more. Bad experience when buying a new car there and their service department is horrible. Your car will come out worse there than it went in.

Kia buyers or would-be buyers beware! When you sell your Kia, it will have no value! If you financed a new Kia then more than likely you will owe more than your Kia will sell for.

Location hidden

#12 Oct 22, 2010
There's not been one good word said about Grindstaff on here. If people are smart, they will boycott Grindstaff Automotive Group! Word of mouth spreads, so spread it wherever you go, I sure do.
HAWGJAWLS

Nashville, TN

#13 Oct 22, 2010
former kia owner wrote:
I will not do business there any more. Bad experience when buying a new car there and their service department is horrible. Your car will come out worse there than it went in.
Kia buyers or would-be buyers beware! When you sell your Kia, it will have no value! If you financed a new Kia then more than likely you will owe more than your Kia will sell for.
That's not entirely true, but it is true that KIA's have not usually had a good resale value over time. That is changing though, especially with the new models and the extra effort KIA has been putting into making their cars attractive, functional, and hold good value for the consumer.

I'm a big fan of KIA vehicles personally and feel like they have a good value for consumers if they shop smart and negotiate well. That's the one thing that I have to say about Grindstaff, that was the part that did please me. The buying process was smooth and I laid out what I wanted and told them that this was what I was willing to give them and not a penny more.

But even with the deal that I got on my vehicle, there's no way I'm going back after the stunts they pulled after I got the vehicle home. Not to mention, like another person said, the service department is hands-down the worst I have ever encountered in my years of driving vehicles.

I recommend that everyone who has had legit issues contact KIA and let them know how you feel. They have been responsive to my input and genuinely seem to care about the reputation their vehicles are getting here in Northeast Tennessee, when they've been spending a ton of money and working hard on their vehicles to improve their image. Maybe they'll pull the dealership and give it to someone else who actually cares about their customers and their impression of them.

Since: Oct 10

Elgin, TX

#14 Oct 25, 2010
I have bought 2 vehicles from there and I have been very satisfied. He did beat the deal I was getting in JC or Kingsport. Of course it has been a couple of months. Maybe they have changed. I had a polite salesman but I called the number for boss and got a little better deal. Either they have changed or maybe it was the salesman
Idiot

Nashville, TN

#15 Oct 28, 2010
Sissy - in another post you said that your husband was good friends with Steve Grindstaff. From your post above...you are full of crap!

United States

#16 Oct 28, 2010
I'm not full of anything. My husband is a friend of Steve's. I got a very good deal there. I had a very nice salesman but he could only do so much so I called the BOSS number and got a better deal. I think the Grindstaffs are good people. They have always been fair with people I know

“The One The Only”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#17 Oct 29, 2010
if you are good friends with them why go to a salesman? go to the top. sissy you are full of crap
JOE

Canada

#18 Oct 30, 2010
I Am wanting a KIA stretched Limo

United States

#19 Nov 9, 2010
Some of u guys r stupid. When I go to trade or buy a car why n the world would I not talk to a salesman. I see why Steve would not b friends with u I wouldn't use our friendship like that. He did make me a better deal but I would certainly not take advantage of our friendship
angel1

United States

#20 Mar 27, 2012
mcity80 wrote:
I worked for Grindstaff for less than a week. What a horrendous few days. In my opinion no one in their right mind should ever purchase a vehicle from them. I believe they are downright nasty people and plain crooks.
I have heard taht from several ppl who worked there..and 1 guy said he didn't even get through his interview before he walked out !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 1 hr Scammed 638
Washington County School CO Does Not Value the ... 8 hr Only the Truth 1
Young People of Today 10 hr Hill Billy Boy 9
Atheism and Religion in General 10 hr Hill Billy Boy 33
wedding at rotary park? 10 hr Big D 4
Pardee Street in Keystone 23 hr howie 7
Attorney for Divorce in Washington County Sat howie 2
More from around the web

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE