Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#47532 Sep 16, 2012
If you are rich and especially the President. I would assume one must keep up appearances.
Kind of like keeping up with the Jones's, with a large cost.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#47533 Sep 16, 2012
day of infamy wrote:
"The Second 9/11: Today will go down in infamy as the day our government became our enemy"
"Meanwhile, as noted here on PJM and elsewhere, as all this was going on, President Obama pointedly refused to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during his upcoming trip to the U.S., an outrageous slap in the face to a nation that is supposed to be our strongest ally.
To top it all off, Obama just commanded the United Stated armed forces to conduct military exercises with the Muslim Brotherhood-controlled Egyptian military, while at the same time cutting way back on a long-planned exercise with Israel.
It’s all so counter-intuitive that the average person likely cannot grasp what is happening at this moment: The United States is switching sides. We are joining forces with a nation of people that hates us and everything we stand for, while simultaneously turning our backs on a nation of people that love us. And we are agreeing with those who do not even grasp the bedrock of our political system, much less approve of it."
In other words: Our government has become overtly anti-American. We are aiding our enemies. We apologize when they attack us, and agree with their reasoning. We discard our own Constitution if our enemies take offense at it.
We are committing suicide.
Correction: We are not committing suicide. The Obama administration is committing nation-cide on us, an act of euthanasia on the United States. A mercy killing of our way of life.
Forget about the economy, the campaign, the polls, the partisan jabs: Today’s events all by themselves are more than reason enough why Obama needs to be removed from power as quickly as possible. The mask is completely removed. If he remains in office, by 2016 the United States will be fully allied with Islamic regimes, will be in a state of undeclared hostilities against Israel and our former allies, will clamp down on any speech that criticizes Islam and (eventually) any other politically protected ideology or belief. The First Amendment, and by extension all the amendments that follow, will be in tatters.
Much more info and good links in the original:
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/09/11...inglep...
Hey, that's what happens when you publicly try to bully, bad-mouth, and criticize your Nation's "Best Friend's" President, while trying to pressure him into fighting your wars for you! What did "Bibi" expect?
As far as that "Best Friend" thing is concerned, Israel has sent Spies to try and steal our Atomic Secrets and they succeeded. Some of them were caught and are now in Prison, and some of them were not and we don't know, for sure, what they have spied on us and stolen that we did not want released to them or anybody else. We saved them from the Holocast, alot of them , anyway...we acquired the Land where they wanted to live, for them, we have given them massive amounts of Money and Military Equipment and Supplies on a consistent basis. but, they minute they don't get everything they want from us, the minute they want it, this is the kind of dirty tricks they pull and do it publicly, like a Spoiled Child , throwing a temper tantrum! They aren't the least bit concerned about Iran's capability and promise to hit every U.S. Military Base in the Region, within minutes, simultaneously, if they are attacked, but I AM!
Trying to Bully the U.S. President into getting what you want at the expense of God only knows how many U.S Military Lives, is never a good idea for a "Friend" or foe and Benjamin Netanyahu needs to shut his mouth and try to genuinely work out a solution, in Private, that will do the least damage to both Countries and our Military Personel!
You would have criticized Obama severely for letting Netanyahu push him around, if he had given in and we all know it!
The fact is that we have been a helluva friend to Israel, but they have not been much of a friend to us, except when they wanted something from us!

Location hidden

#47534 Sep 16, 2012
Cornbread wrote:
If you are rich and especially the President. I would assume one must keep up appearances.
Kind of like keeping up with the Jones's, with a large cost.
It's not a Personal Image of Obama or any Other President...it's the fact that the President represents the United States, as does every Leader of any Country! What the world thinks of the President and the Image he puts forth, is the Image they will have of our Country as a whole, also!
Anonymous

Bellevue, WA

#47535 Sep 16, 2012
Looking to make new friends.
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#47536 Sep 16, 2012
Agreed. That is the reason behind the dinnerware.
America, must keep up appearances for other countries.

Location hidden

#47537 Sep 16, 2012
Cornbread wrote:
Agreed. That is the reason behind the dinnerware.
America, must keep up appearances for other countries.
The Formal Dinnerware, yes. But, I don't quite see the need for a brand new set of the "Private" dinnerware, other than pure vanity and a sense of Entitlement! But, maybe I'm missing something!

I wouldn't have a problem with even that, if the Country was in a better shape financially and blowing a few Hundred Thousand Dollars would never be missed, but like I said , that money adds up and we could use every Penny that been wasted, in the Past, right now!
But, congress earmarks it for certain things and you either soend it for that "earmark" or they waste it somewhere else, so there you are!

Location hidden

#47538 Sep 16, 2012
...spend...

Location hidden

#47539 Sep 16, 2012
Cornbread wrote:
<quoted text>
I also agree. But it didn't happen till Reagan, became president. So he gets the credit.
You're right, Reagan started it all and once anything is started by one President, all the following Presidents will do the same thing!

Location hidden

#47540 Sep 16, 2012
davidrickman wrote:
Looking to make new friends.
Well, come on in. We allow anybody in here and the Ones we don't allow, just shove their way in, anyway. Ask the scud trolls, that's what they've done! If you act up, we just ignore you like you weren't here, intil you get the message and get tired of talking to yourself, and leave! If you like discussing Politics, this is the Thread to do it on!:)
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#47541 Sep 16, 2012
The dinnerware is dated to and for each presidency. You must have missed my earlier post. At the risk of being rude I will re post.

Even the earliest presidents received government funds to purchase state china. By a special clause in the appropriation bills, "decayed furnishings" could be sold and the proceeds used to buy replacements. Such "furnishings" included state china, and during the 19th century the cupboards were frequently swept clean and the contents carted off to auction. The money could then be used to order a new china service that better suited the president and his family.

Can you imagine how much the sale of that dinnerware brings in? It is a pretty penny , you can bet your boots on that. Collectors eat that stuff up.
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#47542 Sep 16, 2012
Ya'll have a good rest of your evening.
Early day tomorrow. Hay cutting time in my neck of the woods.

Location hidden

#47543 Sep 16, 2012
Cornbread wrote:
The dinnerware is dated to and for each presidency. You must have missed my earlier post. At the risk of being rude I will re post.
Even the earliest presidents received government funds to purchase state china. By a special clause in the appropriation bills, "decayed furnishings" could be sold and the proceeds used to buy replacements. Such "furnishings" included state china, and during the 19th century the cupboards were frequently swept clean and the contents carted off to auction. The money could then be used to order a new china service that better suited the president and his family.
Can you imagine how much the sale of that dinnerware brings in? It is a pretty penny , you can bet your boots on that. Collectors eat that stuff up.
But, the first Link that you put up, said that "Resale" was stopped many years ago and all the Old Dinnerware now has to be destroyed. So, the money to buy new Dinnerware comes solely out of Taxpayer Revenue!
Johnson was President in the early 60's and the "resale" was stopped by then, according to your first Link. That's why he smashed it by throwing it at his assistants' pictures!

Location hidden

#47544 Sep 16, 2012
Cornbread, here is the copied and pasted content of your first Link, that says all Dinnerware that is replaced has to be "kept or smashed"...now and apparently as early as the Johnson Presidency, even though it doesn't say exactly when the "selling" was stopped , that I remember reading.
----------

Dinner for 140
The ground floor China Room is where the White House collection of china is kept. Even the earliest presidents received government funds to purchase state china. However, by a special clause in the appropriation bills, "decayed furnishings" could be sold and the proceeds used to buy replacements. Such "furnishings" included state china, and during the 19th century the cupboards were frequently swept clean and the contents carted off to auction. The money could then be used to order a new china service that better suited the president and his family.

Even into the 20th century, White House china was often given away if it was chipped or broken. Later, Congress passed a law that required that all presidential china be kept or destroyed. When new dessert plates for the Johnson administration turned out badly, the White House staff smashed it against a basement wall painted with caricatures of the president's assistants.

Today, nearly all presidents are represented in the china collection one way or another. And full services suitable for state dinners exist for the B Harrison, Wilson, FD Roosevelt, Truman, L Johnson, Reagan, and Clinton sets, although the older sets are much smaller than the newer ones and cannot be used for the largest events. Replacement pieces are occasionally ordered for these, as pieces become chipped or broken.

Wilson — 120 settings
FD Roosevelt — 120 settings
Truman — 120 settings
L Johnson — 216 settings
Reagan — 220 settings
Clinton — 300 settings
Bush — 320 setting formal set, 75 setting informal set

Location hidden

#47545 Sep 16, 2012
Oops, it says that Johnson smashed the new desset plates that turned out badly, not the old set of Dinnerware. But, the 20th Century that Congress changed the law that it refers to, would have been sometime between 1950 and 2005, most likely sometime from 1950 until 2000, although it could have been as late as 2005.

I would really like to know why Congress changed the Law because you are right, People would pay alot of money for some pieces of the white House China, particularly from a President's Administration that they admired. I, myself, would love to have a few pieces...one place setting or a cup, saucer, Tea or Coffee Server, Sugar and Creamer, any of those or all of those, from one of our more significant Presidencies. But heck, I'm not choosy, I'd take them from any Presidency! LOL!
Gomer

Collierville, TN

#47546 Sep 16, 2012
Really that is true. I know I would like to have a
piece.

Location hidden

#47547 Sep 16, 2012
Gomer wrote:
Really that is true. I know I would like to have a
piece.
Dinnerware, Gomer, we're talking Dinnerware! Lol!
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#47549 Sep 17, 2012
Now PM Netanyahu is druming up support just before our pesidential elections on NBC's Meet The Press and CNN's State Od The Union for us to use our military for his own purpose. I have never ever seen any foreigner get so much attention, I mean he goes before Congress anytime he wants, he is on the morning talk show's all to use American blood and money for his own personal gain.
He know's if Iran get the bomb, he will no longer have an edge on the Middle East issue. You see if Iran get's the bomb Netanyahu know's he two countries will be in a state of M.A.D.
The blood letting in the Middle East will stop.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#47551 Sep 17, 2012
Netanyahu is trying to elect his buddy Mitt. He knows based on the Rhetoric coming from the Romney campaign, Mitt will be more willing to start a war with Iran for him, than Obama will. Normally members of both parties would roundly condemn such action by a foreign leader, but not in this case.
We have provided Isreal with the most modern weapons, planes, helicopters, and turned our heads as they developed a nuclear capacity. If they wish to start a war over another soverign country doing what they did, I say let them.....ALONE. We have held their hand long enough, and this is our thanks.....if they think things are icy now, what is it going to be like if Obama is reelected ?
Bibi has made his bed and this election MIGHT get him a strange bedfellow ! Chuckles !!
worried crispy critter

Bristol, TN

#47552 Sep 17, 2012
Overtaxed wrote:
Netanyahu is trying to elect his buddy Mitt. He knows based on the Rhetoric coming from the Romney campaign, Mitt will be more willing to start a war with Iran for him, than Obama will. Normally members of both parties would roundly condemn such action by a foreign leader, but not in this case.
We have provided Isreal with the most modern weapons, planes, helicopters, and turned our heads as they developed a nuclear capacity. If they wish to start a war over another soverign country doing what they did, I say let them.....ALONE. We have held their hand long enough, and this is our thanks.....if they think things are icy now, what is it going to be like if Obama is reelected ?
Bibi has made his bed and this election MIGHT get him a strange bedfellow ! Chuckles !!
Thats not biblical OT. You had better red-neckocognize
worried crispy critter

Bristol, TN

#47553 Sep 17, 2012
Someone is reading his bible... My work here is done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Brown is the story dead yet? 22 min joke 24
RIP John Wrestler 57 min zzzz 1
Is There Any Moral Adults At Boone Willing To S... 1 hr Went there 12
POLICE hide THP wife beater arrest 2 hr stop living in th... 36
ISIS Iraq we all know BUSH/Republicans got us i... 2 hr dolt 20
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 3 hr Black Ops 9,446
Washington Co School Board Member Over concessions 4 hr The Truth Hurts 5
NutriMost - New Diet Scam 17 hr Michigan 199
•••
•••

Johnson City Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Johnson City News, Events & Info