Review: Atomik Comiks
Donald

Johnson City, TN

#1 May 4, 2013
Came in with my son and all we got was the angry glare the whole time. No one asked us if they could help us or even said "hi" go to Mountain Empire Comics when in JC skip over this place.
DCComics

Roan Mountain, TN

#3 May 13, 2013
Atomik Comiks is the best shop in the region. The owner has actually ordered things for us in the past and the inventory he has is extensive. If you need help ask. I personally hate someone breathing down my neck while shopping. As far as the pot comment is concerned, the owners parents are both deceased, when was all this you speak of?
longbowhunter

Johnson City, TN

#4 May 15, 2013
Wow...that place never changes. Dude has ALWAYS been rude as hell,and I'm not surprised the place is a front for drugs...no way he could stay in business this long with that attitude. I miss Funny Pages...it was the only non-creepy comic book store in town for years.
Positron

Kingsport, TN

#5 May 15, 2013
DCComics wrote:
Atomik Comiks is the best shop in the region. The owner has actually ordered things for us in the past and the inventory he has is extensive. If you need help ask. I personally hate someone breathing down my neck while shopping. As far as the pot comment is concerned, the owners parents are both deceased, when was all this you speak of?
Seems about 15 or less years ago, the owner (son of a highway patrol Sgt.) was involved in a drug deal that went sour. Cops showed up at the "wrong time". Lo and behold, he got off with almost an apology from the judge. Strings attached. Somebody took the fall, but not him. He's now blacklisted as a "Doc shopper" by most area physicians. I'm not a comic book fan or shopper, just have a good memory. It has all been expunged, but that does not mean it didn't happen. Ask Him!
Positron

Kingsport, TN

#6 May 17, 2013
longbowhunter wrote:
Wow...that place never changes. Dude has ALWAYS been rude as hell,and I'm not surprised the place is a front for drugs...no way he could stay in business this long with that attitude. I miss Funny Pages...it was the only non-creepy comic book store in town for years.
Where else can you get a couple of comics and a pack of rolling papers all in one stop? LOL. I'm not saying it's a front for drugs, but I don't see how such a rude business can keep on going without some other kind of support. You be the judge.
Comedian

Johnson City, TN

#7 May 20, 2013
The owner of this mold and mildew emporium is inattentive on his best day and on his worst, a complete tool bag. I've been in three times in the last six weeks and twice I was completely ignored, and one other timeI was talked down to. Three strikes and you're out. I now take my business to other area shops, even opting to drive to Greeneville instead of going to Atomik.
Downtown Fan

Elizabethton, TN

#8 May 20, 2013
Positron wrote:
<quoted text>Seems about 15 or less years ago, the owner (son of a highway patrol Sgt.) was involved in a drug deal that went sour. Cops showed up at the "wrong time". Lo and behold, he got off with almost an apology from the judge. Strings attached. Somebody took the fall, but not him. He's now blacklisted as a "Doc shopper" by most area physicians. I'm not a comic book fan or shopper, just have a good memory. It has all been expunged, but that does not mean it didn't happen. Ask Him!
Yes your right about everything except, son of Lt highway patrolman, Shan was packing that day and tried to blame that on someone else.
redfive

Greenville, SC

#9 May 23, 2013
Do they carry vintage star wars figures?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#10 Jan 21, 2014
Shawn Samier is the biggest scumbag I've ever known.He is a con man at best.I remember watching him go through hundreds of packs of trading cards that he sold in his shop with a caliper so he could measure the thickness of the packs and then take the packs that had the valuable cards out of them because they were thicker than a normal packs,.. Then sit there and watch those kids that come into his sh*thole shop and spend all their money or parents money hoping to get a rare card or valuable insert never knowing the box was full of nothing but regular cards in the packs....now if that isnt a piece of sh*t, then i dont know what one is.i would never spend a dime in that place.. he was a well know drug dealer back in the day and i'm sure he's using the store to sell to them to his friends.and yes he has makes fun of every one that comes in the store sometimes when they are still in the store. like they are stupid for spending money there.dont shop there for real
shame on you

Portland, OR

#12 Feb 16, 2014
stealing money from kids like that is lower than a snakes belly.this place needs to be shut down if they are doing that with their packs of cards.
bad news

Johnson City, TN

#14 Mar 3, 2014
don't bring you or your kids to this place.he's a jerk and it will be a bad experience for you i promise
Seriously

United States

#15 Mar 3, 2014
Positron wrote:
<quoted text>Seems about 15 or less years ago, the owner (son of a highway patrol Sgt.) was involved in a drug deal that went sour. Cops showed up at the "wrong time". Lo and behold, he got off with almost an apology from the judge. Strings attached. Somebody took the fall, but not him. He's now blacklisted as a "Doc shopper" by most area physicians. I'm not a comic book fan or shopper, just have a good memory. It has all been expunged, but that does not mean it didn't happen. Ask Him!
wow 15 years ago. I bet your an upright church going member at First Hypocrisis on main.
Positron

Kingsport, TN

#16 Mar 3, 2014
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text> wow 15 years ago. I bet your an upright church going member at First Hypocrisis on main.
And your point is.........? I'm just stating the facts. I don't think his behavior has changed considerably in that span of time, nor has your basic elementary grasp of vocabulary and writing skills.
Vivian

United States

#17 Mar 5, 2014
Never been there but need to see for myself
some things never change

Kingsport, TN

#18 Mar 19, 2014
Shawn Samier is the same money grubbing a$$hole he has always been.he hasn't changed one bit since high school,which is sad for someone as old as he is.he's probably still dealing drugs and ripping people off.and if you are stupid enough to visit his store you better wear a mask because the mold will probably kill you.
Heather

Johnson City, TN

#19 Dec 26, 2014
My husband and I shop at Atomik when we want comics, and I do not know the man personally, nor does he know I am writing this. The man who owns it is VERY nice, and very knowledgeable. Every time we go in there, even our first time in there, he spoke to us and has always been very sweet. He even remembers what we like, and at one point I couldn't remember if I had a certain silver age comic and he remembered that I bought it over a month ago, and he was right! I love how he remembers us and makes us feel important, like friends. He has a selection like no other, and has always cut us beautiful deals even if we only buy one or two things. I love the atmosphere of this shop, and I really do enjoy stopping by.

All of the reviews on here are loaded with competition and bullshit, I would even like to imply that my experiences at Mountain Empire were never as pleasant.

By the way, the guy LOVES kids (he just had a beautiful son- he showed us his picture and was so proud), and the place does not smell like mold or pot. I cannot wait for my daughter to be old enough to read comics so that I can bring her here.
TNBATMAN

Johnson City, TN

#20 Dec 30, 2014
Be very careful leaving your children alone with the man who runs this store.
Wesbsdd

Madison, TN

#21 Jan 6, 2015
I don't know much about the dude but I always think he seems cool. He won't buy used Todd McFarland anything because Todd made some borderline sexist remarks regarding comic book readers, he always suggests cool things to read regardless if we share te same taste in books or not, and he even offers hard up families free gifts for their kids every year around Christmas.

Maybe let a business owner know when you have a negative experience in their store. Without constructive criticism, the ability to grow is hindered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man assaulted at New Beginnings (Mar '11) 3 hr Julian 39
Should I? 3 hr hairy fat dude 6
Girl's at fuzzy holes 5 hr Curious Catt 7
Suds & Bubbles Car Wash (Apr '08) 14 hr longbowhunter 12
Wheres the place 16 hr sosrs 3
Johnson Shitty 23 hr Foolforthe City 30
lookin Fri Starstruck 3
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Fri Jennifer 981
More from around the web

Personal Finance