WAshington Co TN School Resource Offi...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Johnson City, TN

#21 Apr 28, 2013
employee wrote:
<quoted text>You just answered your own question. I agree bulletproof glass would be great. But as an employee we deal with threatening parents, child custody issues and children who are abused. There are also many kids with violent tendencies in our schools as young as kindergarten. If your county commissioner and school board member whom you are defending for the study of safety with a$100,000 price tag from a company owned by one of their buddies would talk to teachers and other school employees they would understand. The other issue is why pay thousands of dollars when the sheriffs dept. and other government agencies will do the study. Oh I forgot commissioner wants to throw buddy some business and Mabe has no children or grandchildren in system. Wonder which builder would benefit from new athletic buildings? Why did Science Hill and Elizabethton raise private funds but a handful of people want the taxpayers to foot the bill in Washington County?
My intent is NOT to defend anyone and I agree with most others that safety should come before athletics.
I just asked a legitimate question about where the other poster obtained the information that lets them KNOW an armed officer is the best course of action to take as opposed to any other. As a tax payer I want to know money spent on safety is spent on the most effective means possible and not just some feel good dog and pony show giving a false sense of security and ultimately proving ineffective. The question had little to do with the politics many are saying are involved and voicing concern over.

I'm not sure how armed security plays into child custody or child abuse, one is a civil matter and the other while appalling and criminal doesn't usually need a gun to be rectified.
As for the threatening parents and violent kids, and this is not meant to minimize that set of problems, lets not forget that this whole recent protect our kids campaign and having armed security on hand is due to kids going on killing sprees at schools and at least in part to the NRA making a very public suggestion about having armed security after the Sandyhook incident in response to the other side of the coin. You never heard much about it when it was only threatening parents and violent kids that didn't cause fatal or life threatening injuries.

Personally, I don't envy teachers in this day and age. I think they are some of the most underpaid and least recognized given the nature of the service they provide.
Who

Antioch, TN

#22 Apr 28, 2013
fed up wrote:
In today's JC Press one of Mark Larkey's and Clarence Mabe's flunkies had a letter in the mailbag with half truth and numbers just not so. Davenport refers to other systems athletic fields houses saying students at Boone deserve just as much. The fact is the systems he mentioned were raised by private funds and not taxpayers hard earned dollars. So my suggestion would be get off your lazy asses and raise the money like we did. And if you have to do a study to know police officers are needed in schools and will make schools safer I understand why Larkey, Mabe and Davenport can't figure out how to raise money. Athletics over education has been a given for Larkey and Mabe whatever the cost to taxpayers but never thought those 2 would stoop so low as to put athletics over safety.
What Davenport are you talking about?
truth

Darby, PA

#23 Apr 29, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My intent is NOT to defend anyone and I agree with most others that safety should come before athletics.
I just asked a legitimate question about where the other poster obtained the information that lets them KNOW an armed officer is the best course of action to take as opposed to any other. As a tax payer I want to know money spent on safety is spent on the most effective means possible and not just some feel good dog and pony show giving a false sense of security and ultimately proving ineffective. The question had little to do with the politics many are saying are involved and voicing concern over.
I'm not sure how armed security plays into child custody or child abuse, one is a civil matter and the other while appalling and criminal doesn't usually need a gun to be rectified.
As for the threatening parents and violent kids, and this is not meant to minimize that set of problems, lets not forget that this whole recent protect our kids campaign and having armed security on hand is due to kids going on killing sprees at schools and at least in part to the NRA making a very public suggestion about having armed security after the Sandyhook incident in response to the other side of the coin. You never heard much about it when it was only threatening parents and violent kids that didn't cause fatal or life threatening injuries.
Personally, I don't envy teachers in this day and age. I think they are some of the most underpaid and least recognized given the nature of the service they provide.
I think I see where the misunderstanding is-i might be oppossed to juist armed security myself but the fact is SRO's are fully trained police officers assigned to schools.
Donor

Sevierville, TN

#24 Apr 29, 2013
fed up wrote:
In today's JC Press one of Mark Larkey's and Clarence Mabe's flunkies had a letter in the mailbag with half truth and numbers just not so. Davenport refers to other systems athletic fields houses saying students at Boone deserve just as much. The fact is the systems he mentioned were raised by private funds and not taxpayers hard earned dollars. So my suggestion would be get off your lazy asses and raise the money like we did. And if you have to do a study to know police officers are needed in schools and will make schools safer I understand why Larkey, Mabe and Davenport can't figure out how to raise money. Athletics over education has been a given for Larkey and Mabe whatever the cost to taxpayers but never thought those 2 would stoop so low as to put athletics over safety.
Mabe could donate the money he makes from his gambling machines to build the sports complex. JC had donors and raised the money
upset parent

Campobello, SC

#25 Apr 29, 2013
Now now, no one fret. Our lustrous county mayor will take care of our kids. He's already planning on cutting the number of school resource officers that the Sheriff had requested. Apparently our genius of a mayor knows more about law enforcement than a Sheriff who has 30+ years of experience.
Dot

Antioch, TN

#26 Apr 29, 2013
Doesn't this same mayor put his kids in private school? He must not think the public schools are good enough.
Caller

Jonesborough, TN

#27 Apr 30, 2013
pioneer blazer wrote:
<quoted text>McLain is with Mabe and they might be against SRO.
I have called McLain and he is not supporting sports over safety. My board members are Ervin, Leonard, and Williams. I cannot find Williams number. It must not be published. Leonard and Ervin want safety first too.
Parent

Antioch, TN

#28 Apr 30, 2013
Caller wrote:
<quoted text> I have called McLain and he is not supporting sports over safety. My board members are Ervin, Leonard, and Williams. I cannot find Williams number. It must not be published. Leonard and Ervin want safety first too.
You may want to check under brick and block laying. He is supposed to do that kind of work.
MAd Parent

Elizabethton, TN

#29 May 3, 2013
First of all Hammonds is for the people and will defend what is important to protect the kids. He is dedicated to resource officers in the schools. I have spoken with him on several occasions in regards to this. Second if we are spending money why not replace the 25+ year old carpet in Jonesborough, Boones Creek Elementary instead of a study, or an ahtletic facility to keep up with the jones'(DB and SH). The school board approved SRO officers, the county commision is the one blocking because the county mayor also has pet projects. They want the school system to pay the bill on new SRO officers not the county budget. Read the minutes. A police officer should be funded by the police department not the school system. Watch the inflated numbers too they are all blown out of proportion to make it look unaffordable. My kids safety is number one priority. I say if they do not approve SRO and God forbid something happens who ever voted No should be held accountable.
JFC

Johnson City, TN

#30 May 3, 2013
MAd Parent wrote:
First of all Hammonds is for the people and will defend what is important to protect the kids. He is dedicated to resource officers in the schools. I have spoken with him on several occasions in regards to this. Second if we are spending money why not replace the 25+ year old carpet in Jonesborough, Boones Creek Elementary instead of a study, or an ahtletic facility to keep up with the jones'(DB and SH). The school board approved SRO officers, the county commision is the one blocking because the county mayor also has pet projects. They want the school system to pay the bill on new SRO officers not the county budget. Read the minutes. A police officer should be funded by the police department not the school system. Watch the inflated numbers too they are all blown out of proportion to make it look unaffordable. My kids safety is number one priority. I say if they do not approve SRO and God forbid something happens who ever voted No should be held accountable.
Why don't you and the rest of the parents each cough up $3 a month to cover the salary of an SRO at the school your kid attends. If it's so dangerous in school and you're so concerned about your kid's safety and it just can't be put off one second then you shouldn't mind paying such a piddly amount for it and getting the project under way.
Good for You

Jonesborough, TN

#31 May 3, 2013
MAd Parent wrote:
First of all Hammonds is for the people and will defend what is important to protect the kids. He is dedicated to resource officers in the schools. I have spoken with him on several occasions in regards to this. Second if we are spending money why not replace the 25+ year old carpet in Jonesborough, Boones Creek Elementary instead of a study, or an ahtletic facility to keep up with the jones'(DB and SH). The school board approved SRO officers, the county commision is the one blocking because the county mayor also has pet projects. They want the school system to pay the bill on new SRO officers not the county budget. Read the minutes. A police officer should be funded by the police department not the school system. Watch the inflated numbers too they are all blown out of proportion to make it look unaffordable. My kids safety is number one priority. I say if they do not approve SRO and God forbid something happens who ever voted No should be held accountable.
Mad parent you have hit it right. Let the elected commissioners know how you feel. Safety over pet projects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eldridge and Meredith caught by JCP 1 hr Pete 112
show biz pizza (Nov '08) 1 hr longbowhunter 9
LGBT and now Q? 5 hr Jon 83
Gary Phillips Construction (Sep '14) Fri Concerned 15
Etsu nursing Fri Nurse ratchet57 3
Aundrea Kearney Fri Wondering87 1
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Fri Michelle 1,478
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages