Judge Cupp and The Police Dept.

Judge Cupp and The Police Dept.

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

Jack

Johnson City, TN

#1 Sep 26, 2013
So I read this today in the JC Press:
Washington County Criminal Court Judge Robert Cupp said he’s fed up with law enforcement officers who don’t respond to requests from the district attorney general’s office about cases, which ends up clogging the docket.
Two days this week at least three cases had to be reset because the defendants had not yet been indicted and the responsibility for that apparently landed in an officer’s lap.

The article goes on to say:
“I’m not going to tolerate this conduct,” Cupp said Wednesday, with an obvious tone of ire in his voice.“You need to send a memo to the sheriff’s office. The next time I see a case that should have gone to the grand jury that didn’t, I’ll dismiss it and I’ll do it with prejudice this time. I don’t care what it is,” he said.
Dismissing a case with prejudice would mean the state could not re-initiate the case again by taking it to a grand jury later.
Cupp previously expressed his displeasure with the sheriff’s office over the same issue. He dismissed an aggravated burglary case on the spot when he learned an officer had not responded to the district attorney general’s request for additional information.
You can read the whole thing at: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/11130...

I'm both pleased and a bit concerned with Judge Cupp's approach to this problem. On the one hand I'm glad to see him telling the cops they need to get their shit together and quit lollygagging. On the other hand I'm a bit confused by his threat to dismiss a case with prejudice "whatever it is" as if that would be some sort of punishment to the police department. Granted a person is innocent until proven guilty but to give a free pass to someone charged with aggravated burglary just to spite the police department is a little alarming. And now to threaten to do it again regardless of the charges and this time in such a way that the state can't re-initiate the charges is even more alarming. This doesn't punish the police department or encourage them to get their job done in a timely manner it just punishes the public by letting a potentially dangerous person back on the street. I'd feel better if he instead punished the individual officers in question with a HEAVY fine or better yet a few days in the pokey, that would be much more fitting.
Storm Chaser

Jonesborough, TN

#2 Sep 27, 2013
You do know the difference between a police department and a sheriff's department, don't you?
Jack

Johnson City, TN

#3 Sep 27, 2013
Storm Chaser wrote:
You do know the difference between a police department and a sheriff's department, don't you?
Yes I do, and just what the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Are you really going to be a troll and try to make a big deal of my refering to the Sheriff's Dept. or the TN Highway Patrol as a police department? Are you really more concerned with stroking your pecker trying to make yourself look smart then to be concerned with the info put forth? Do us all a favor and just stfu until you have something pertinent and constructive to add.
Jill

Johnson City, TN

#4 Sep 27, 2013
It has everything to do with the price of tea in China. You were referring to one organization when actually you meant another. Please try to be a little more specific next time. The price of tea in China may be related to the price of tea here however the price will be dramtically different. Focus your criticism.
Storm Chaser

Johnson City, TN

#5 Sep 27, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do, and just what the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Are you really going to be a troll and try to make a big deal of my refering to the Sheriff's Dept. or the TN Highway Patrol as a police department? Are you really more concerned with stroking your pecker trying to make yourself look smart then to be concerned with the info put forth? Do us all a favor and just stfu until you have something pertinent and constructive to add.
If you knew the difference, why did you not use the proper agencies the article was referring to? You used the police department in your heading and twice in the body of your post. Either you don't know the difference between the agencies or you're just stupid. Which is it?

Next time, count to ten, take a few deep breaths, practice those little mantras they taught you at anger management school and reply in a respectful manner when somebody tries to provide you with a little constructive criticism. Or, since criticism obviously harms your tender psyche, try using the proper verbiage next time so you won't be subjected to someone having to correct your mistakes.
Jack

Johnson City, TN

#6 Sep 28, 2013
I suspect you and Jill are the same person and the only thing I can think of that would be fitting to say to either reply is go fck yourself troll. The only mistake that needs correcting is the one your mother made however many years ago when she decided not to have an abortion after being notified she was pregnant with you.
Storm Chaser

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Sep 28, 2013
Jack wrote:
I suspect you and Jill are the same person and the only thing I can think of that would be fitting to say to either reply is go fck yourself troll. The only mistake that needs correcting is the one your mother made however many years ago when she decided not to have an abortion after being notified she was pregnant with you.
I suspect from your posts that:
Come on, Jack, take it easy. It is a proven fact that millions of Americans suffer from the inability to accurately comprehend what they read. I admire you for being brave enough to advertise your shortcomings on a public forum for all to see. Just a word of advice, though: you might want to change your user name to "Don't Know Jack.". It seems to be more appropriate, don't you think?
Jill

Johnson City, TN

#8 Sep 28, 2013
Storm Chaser wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect from your posts that:
Come on, Jack, take it easy. It is a proven fact that millions of Americans suffer from the inability to accurately comprehend what they read. I admire you for being brave enough to advertise your shortcomings on a public forum for all to see. Just a word of advice, though: you might want to change your user name to "Don't Know Jack.". It seems to be more appropriate, don't you think?
Very well said.
Jack

Johnson City, TN

#9 Sep 28, 2013
Typical troll.
What I think is that you're probably some insecure moron who could never cut the mustard in real life so you feel compelled to try and make up for your mental and physical shortcomings by nit picking and trying to find fault with the rest of the world while hiding behind a computer.
The anonymity afforded online is the only way you feel brave enough to run your suck hole, I imagine the thought of actually confronting a person face to face makes you piss your pants.
Anyway since you're obviously too much of an ignorant douche bag to discuss Judge Cupp's approach to things I'll leave you to have the last word. I'm sure you like most keyboard cowboys must always have it.
Storm Chaser

Jonesborough, TN

#10 Sep 28, 2013
Jack wrote:
Typical troll.
What I think is that you're probably some insecure moron who could never cut the mustard in real life so you feel compelled to try and make up for your mental and physical shortcomings by nit picking and trying to find fault with the rest of the world while hiding behind a computer.
The anonymity afforded online is the only way you feel brave enough to run your suck hole, I imagine the thought of actually confronting a person face to face makes you piss your pants.
Anyway since you're obviously too much of an ignorant douche bag to discuss Judge Cupp's approach to things I'll leave you to have the last word. I'm sure you like most keyboard cowboys must always have it.
Insecure? Damn man, you might want to try introspection. I pose a simple question based on a valid observation of your inaccuracies and you go into juvenile name-calling, butt hurt, full meltdown mode. All mommies tell their little angels they're perfect, but most men grow out of that and realize its not true at some point in their lives. I hope that happens for you soon.

As for your need to create an image of me in your mind that makes you feel braver, so be it. You've been batting an ofer since you started this forum; adding one more to your list of failures isn't going to hurt your batting average. I certainly haven't gained any self-worth by outwitting you on here and I certainly don't feel the need to point out the hypocrisy of your rantings pertaining to someone hiding behind a keyboard.

So, the next time you want to create a forum and expect an intelligent debate of the facts, be intelligent enough to get the facts correct. If you realize you're wrong, man up and admit it; defending stupidity only compounds your stupidity.
Simple Truth

Nashville, TN

#11 Sep 28, 2013
A criminal defendant who is given notice of a court date, and misses that court date .... he has a new felony charge.

A trooper/police officer who is given notice of a court date, and that court date ... a chew-out at best.

Maybe that's what gets under the Judge's skin.

(and please don't tell me how the "notice" is different, and there's a law blah blah blah.... it's still unfair)
Jill

Johnson City, TN

#12 Sep 28, 2013
That was a well deserved cyber smack down. There is no way the guy responds after that. I hope he gets counseling for his impulsive behavior disorder.
Storm Chaser

Jonesborough, TN

#13 Sep 28, 2013
Jill wrote:
That was a well deserved cyber smack down. There is no way the guy responds after that. I hope he gets counseling for his impulsive behavior disorder.
Thanks! But you and I both know he can't help himself but respond. That's what makes this game so much fun:)
Storm Chaser

Jonesborough, TN

#14 Sep 28, 2013
Simple Truth wrote:
A criminal defendant who is given notice of a court date, and misses that court date .... he has a new felony charge.
A trooper/police officer who is given notice of a court date, and that court date ... a chew-out at best.
Maybe that's what gets under the Judge's skin.
(and please don't tell me how the "notice" is different, and there's a law blah blah blah.... it's still unfair)
I used to spend lot of time in courtrooms in a much larger metro and it was astonishing the number of continuances unprepared defense attorneys were granted. I'm sure it is the same way here and I don't recall any news articles about Judge Cupp taking his "ire" out on them. Seems like the judge's bench is a good place for back-scratchin'.
Jill

Johnson City, TN

#15 Sep 28, 2013
Police officers and sheriffs deputies receive numerous subpoenas throughout a month. By state law any person is required at a minimum five days notice, however I know several police officers that receive subpoenas with less than five days notice. The officers are not present when the judge, prosecutor and defense attorney schedule the court date. They do not care to check and see if the officer has vacation planned on that day, they do not care if they have a medical procedure scheduled for that day and they do not care if the officer is on his night shifts which is 12.5 hours and has to go and sit all day in court when they should be sleeping. If Judge Cupp has a case that is inconvenient for him whether it is a doctors appointment, conflict of interest or whatever he will have Judge Blackwood hear the case. Officers do not have this privilege. The officer cannot recuse themselves from the case. A criminal defendant will receive very few court dates. A officer will arrest somebody just about every shift they work and will receive subpoenas on just about every case Everytime each case goes to court.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Liars For Jesus Go Directly To Hell (May '11) 46 min Eternal Creature 41
Get Amy Lynn fired from Daytime Tri-Cities!!! (Jan '11) 8 hr Nippy 159
News Tennessee paramedic dies in accident during tra... 17 hr MisterMoonlight 3
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Fri Tanya 1,514
Child support w/o visitation Fri Fact 8
Small Business Startup giving away products to ... Thu Lrlsong 1
New Life Praise & Worship in Piney Flats Thu JoJo 13

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance