Asheville Vs. Johnson City

Asheville Vs. Johnson City

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

Discgolfforlife

Johnson City, TN

#1 Jul 28, 2014
I'm contemplating moving here to Johnson City, or possible Asheville. Does anyone have pro/con ideas about either city? Btw... I'm a recent college graduate from a small town in Kentucky.
Small Town

Kingsport, TN

#2 Jul 29, 2014
A lot of it depends on what your degree is in. If you are into business with a degree and a whole lot of money, Johnson City is your place, but only as a self employed businessman, not a worker. Of course you must have learned how to play the game, with favors and greasy palms to satisfy the local game callers. Not that a degree is needed, only the money and connections to make it work. Johnson City is a businessman's town. There are enough eateries to feed Ethiopia here and the city gets their cut of it all.
As for Asheville, it's a more eclectic city, more open to creativity, old money and tourists, etc. Like I say, it is all dependent on your skills, initiative, and money to back it up, either way. I live in Johnson City, but Asheville sounds better every day. What's your ambition? Just be sure to have money in either town.
Randy

Boiling Springs, SC

#3 Jul 29, 2014
It really does depend where you can make a good living. If your job opportunities are about the same I would choose Ashville. But I think Ashvilles cost of living is a little higher.
Tn stud

Bowling Green, KY

#4 Jul 29, 2014
Randy wrote:
It really does depend where you can make a good living. If your job opportunities are about the same I would choose Ashville. But I think Ashvilles cost of living is a little higher.
Thanks, I really appreciate your input. So from what you are suggesting, Johnson City is more of a career town, vs. Asheville a more laid-back retirement community?
turtleman

Jonesborough, TN

#5 Jul 31, 2014
Asheville if you like dozens of restaurants that serve tofu.
Small Town

Kingsport, TN

#6 Aug 1, 2014
Tn stud wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, I really appreciate your input. So from what you are suggesting, Johnson City is more of a career town, vs. Asheville a more laid-back retirement community?
No, I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm only saying that you must have money to back up any venture in either city. Money talks in both. If you are a working class person, the opportunities in either are doubtful. With the economy being so lousy, neither town offers much of a comfortable living for the average Joe, unless you are retired with a bankroll or a businessman with capital.
GetFat

Kingsport, TN

#7 Aug 1, 2014
It really depends on how much you like meth, pills, gays and eating out. If those and the people that like those things are a major draw then Johnson City is the place to be. Otherwise you would do better elsewhere.
Small Town

Kingsport, TN

#8 Aug 2, 2014
GetFat wrote:
It really depends on how much you like meth, pills, gays and eating out. If those and the people that like those things are a major draw then Johnson City is the place to be. Otherwise you would do better elsewhere.
Sad but true, I have to agree with you. I think the proportion of lowlife and deviates is much more than that of Asheville.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 2 hr Tanya 720
Criminal Activity At Johnson City Boxing Club (May '12) 4 hr Shawn 21
Mahoneys, Johnson city, (Nov '07) 6 hr just Some Know-It... 153
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare (Nov '14) 7 hr corrupt 77
Ashley @ Boones creek roadrunner 12 hr bruce curlylips 14
Thank God Ron Dykes is leaving. 13 hr Witness to it 24
Washington County Taxpayers Wake Up 17 hr Hill Billy Boy 17
More from around the web

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE