DeBaptismal Certificate - Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

Tomo

Johnson City, TN

#1 Oct 9, 2012
https://ffrf.org/news/debaptism-certificate

Still smarting over having been dunked in a church baptismal tub at age 12? Indignant that a congregation still claims you as a believer based on baptismal records? Wishing you could formally renounce a religion that was imposed on you as a helpless babe in swaddling clothes?

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has the answer: a genuine “DeBaptismal Certificate.”

The certificate bears the tongue-in-cheek saying of 19th century freethinker Robert G. Ingersoll:“With soap, baptism is a good thing.”

The certificate reads:
“I, having been subjected to a Christian baptism before reaching an age of consent, or having submitted to baptism before embracing freethought and reason, hereby officially renounce that primitive rite and the Church that imposed it. I categorically reject the creeds, dogmas, and superstitions of my former religion, particularly the pernicious doctrines of ‘Original Sin’ and damnation.
“I further denounce as an affront and defamation to humanity the false and demeaning belief that any baby is born with ‘Original Sin’ and must be cleansed of it by baptism. From this day forward, I wish to be excluded from any claims of religious affiliation or membership based on baptismal records.”

There’s room for the debaptized’s name, signature and date of debaptism “in the Year of No Lord.” The certificate is signed by Dan Barker, a former ordained minister who is now co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The motto at the bottom reads,“Freedom depends upon freethinkers.”

“With a majority of Foundation members growing up in religious homes,” noted Annie Laurie Gaylor, Foundation co-president,“we know there are a lot of freethinkers out there who wish they could be debaptized.” Annie Laurie, by the way, is one of the lucky 18% of FFRF members who grew up in a freethinking home and was spared baptism by water, fire or Sunday school.

"Although our DeBaptismal Certificate has some light touches, we think it’s time to spur some serious public debate over the meaning of baptism,” Gaylor added.“We would like to remind the public that people have been killed, schisms fostered and ‘holy’ wars sparked over debates on when to baptize and how to ‘sprinkle’ babies. Childhoods and peace of mind are still being blighted today by ignorant and vicious sermons promising hell and damnation as a punishment for not being baptized...
baptized and proud of it

Jonesborough, TN

#2 Oct 18, 2012
True Biblical baptism occurs when a person who has accepted Christ as their Savior choses to be baptized in obedience to the Scripture. It is a public pronouncement of faith. Infant baptism is not Biblical, as baptism follows salvation and an infant cannot reason enough accept Christ as Savior. It is salvation through Christ that guarantees you a place in Heaven, not baptism. Hell and damnation are the result of being unsaved, not being unbaptized.

A De-Baptismal certificate??? The idea is ludicrous... and amusing.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3 Oct 20, 2012
baptized and proud of it wrote:
True Biblical baptism occurs when a person who has accepted Christ as their Savior choses to be baptized in obedience to the Scripture. It is a public pronouncement of faith. Infant baptism is not Biblical, as baptism follows salvation and an infant cannot reason enough accept Christ as Savior. It is salvation through Christ that guarantees you a place in Heaven, not baptism. Hell and damnation are the result of being unsaved, not being unbaptized.
A De-Baptismal certificate??? The idea is ludicrous... and amusing.
lol you speak of this as if it were real.*od, satan, heaven, hell its just a book. its not real.
Interesting

Johnson City, TN

#4 Oct 20, 2012
666 _Anti_christ_666 wrote:
<quoted text>lol you speak of this as if it were real.*od, satan, heaven, hell its just a book. its not real.
Hmmmmm....if Satan & Hell are not real then how are you typing on this blog Mr. Anti Christ 666? Are you just pretending, and playing with us?

Location hidden

#5 Oct 21, 2012
Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmm....if Satan & Hell are not real then how are you typing on this blog Mr. Anti Christ 666? Are you just pretending, and playing with us?
oh boy, yet another one. i'll keep it simple and slow but iam not employed to instruct you. first clue: define the prefix anti. i await your findings.
allow me

Jonesborough, TN

#6 Oct 21, 2012
anti means against.. by calling yourself antichrist you are admitting Christ is real. otherwise you are trying to go against someone whom you say doesn't exist.. which makes you what?? Crazy?? Delusional??..

Location hidden

#7 Oct 22, 2012
allow me wrote:
anti means against.. by calling yourself antichrist you are admitting Christ is real. otherwise you are trying to go against someone whom you say doesn't exist.. which makes you what?? Crazy?? Delusional??..
you cant be against something that doesnt exist, thus try to strain your feeble little delusional mind and give advanced thinking a try. do you seriously think someone of my caliber would make such an elementary mistake? googling the 1st grader word anti only shows you made it to the 2nd grade. at least try middle school logic.
oh please

Jonesborough, TN

#8 Oct 22, 2012
Regardless of the etymology of "anti", on any level, by using "Christ" in your user name, you are acknowledging He exists.

better be careful that your oversided brain doesn't knock you off that pedestal you have yourself up on.

A big mouth and ego doesn't make you right.

Location hidden

#9 Oct 24, 2012
oh please wrote:
Regardless of the etymology of "anti", on any level, by using "Christ" in your user name, you are acknowledging He exists.
better be careful that your oversided brain doesn't knock you off that pedestal you have yourself up on.
A big mouth and ego doesn't make you right.
my use of anti-x in no way validates such foolishness. youre just grabbing for straws like most nonthinking x-ains. glad you enjoy my self centered remark, i think i'll use it more. no one with the ability to comprehend and think would ever fall for such dark age stupidity. its a book of fables written by many fabulists with many versions.

Location hidden

#10 Oct 24, 2012
parents who partake in such ritual stupidity should be charged with child endangerment.

“No lies”

Since: Sep 12

The south

#11 Oct 25, 2012
I prefer rationalism to atheism. The
question of God and other objects-of faith
are outside reason and play no part
in rationalism, thus you don't have to
waste your time in either attacking or
defending.
Religion is something left over from the
infancy of our intelligence; it will fade
away as we adopt reason and science as
our guidelines. Well, we can hope!
GetOverIt

Hermitage, TN

#12 Tuesday Sep 2
What a bunch of whining babies. Grow up. If you truly disbelieve then be indifferent and don't create a group based on what you DON'T believe. It kinda' feels like it's personal.
Tomo wrote:
Still smarting over having been dunked in a church baptismal tub at age 12? Indignant that a congregation still claims you as a believer based on baptismal records? Wishing you could formally renounce a religion that was imposed on you as a helpless babe in swaddling clothes?
The Freedom From Religion Foundation has the answer: a genuine “DeBaptismal Certificate.”
The certificate bears the tongue-in-cheek saying of 19th century freethinker Robert G. Ingersoll:“With soap, baptism is a good thing.”
The certificate reads:
“I, having been subjected to a Christian baptism before reaching an age of consent, or having submitted to baptism before embracing freethought and reason, hereby officially renounce that primitive rite and the Church that imposed it. I categorically reject the creeds, dogmas, and superstitions of my former religion, particularly the pernicious doctrines of ‘Original Sin’ and damnation.
“I further denounce as an affront and defamation to humanity the false and demeaning belief that any baby is born with ‘Original Sin’ and must be cleansed of it by baptism. From this day forward, I wish to be excluded from any claims of religious affiliation or membership based on baptismal records.”
There’s room for the debaptized’s name, signature and date of debaptism “in the Year of No Lord.” The certificate is signed by Dan Barker, a former ordained minister who is now co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The motto at the bottom reads,“Freedom depends upon freethinkers.”
“With a majority of Foundation members growing up in religious homes,” noted Annie Laurie Gaylor, Foundation co-president,“we know there are a lot of freethinkers out there who wish they could be debaptized.” Annie Laurie, by the way, is one of the lucky 18% of FFRF members who grew up in a freethinking home and was spared baptism by water, fire or Sunday school.
"Although our DeBaptismal Certificate has some light touches, we think it’s time to spur some serious public debate over the meaning of baptism,” Gaylor added.“We would like to remind the public that people have been killed, schisms fostered and ‘holy’ wars sparked over debates on when to baptize and how to ‘sprinkle’ babies. Childhoods and peace of mind are still being blighted today by ignorant and vicious sermons promising hell and damnation as a punishment for not being baptized...
Morton

Kingsport, TN

#13 Wednesday Sep 3
Tomo wrote:
The certificate reads:
I think I have the answer to your situation. Here's what you need to do. Have a strong person take you down to the river and dunk you in. While you are under, breathe deeply and make sure you have instructed him to absolutely not let you up under any circumstances for at least 5 minutes. Your death certificate will suffice your needs.
Richard

Johnson City, TN

#14 Wednesday Sep 3
Christianity will mostly dissipate in the next 100 years. Since the 1950's Christianity has had a lot of opposition, and in recent years it has hit a quicksand pit. Institutions such as, the ACLU takes away the unfair and unjust chains that a religions such as Christianity has on our local, state, and federal governments. While I disagree with your religion, I still respect it. And if it's what makes you feel like you have meaning in your life by all means. It's what generations of Americans have died for, the unwavering right to practice your own choice of religion in a free country. But when you push your views onto me, I will stand against you, I will take action, and I will exercise my right of the First Amendment. Ergo It's amusing seeing someone who can't understand freshman Biology tell me not only what happens when I die, but how all of the complex organisms around us are nothing but stage props for a bigger plan. I resent such ignorance.
Calibration

Kingsport, TN

#15 Wednesday Sep 3
666 _Anti_christ_666 wrote:
<quoted text>you cant be against something that doesnt exist, thus try to strain your feeble little delusional mind and give advanced thinking a try. do you seriously think someone of my caliber would make such an elementary mistake? googling the 1st grader word anti only shows you made it to the 2nd grade. at least try middle school logic.
You sir are a legend in your own mind. Your "caliber" is in question. You seem to think your vast knowledge is exceptional. I have news for you: most youngsters gave up on the rebellious fits you throw as they grew a little older and developed some sense. Yours is middle school logic, the thinking of someone who hasn't really been around enough to realize they are inexperienced and have trouble admitting it. I'll bet you are one of those "free thinkers" gaining your dogma from other delusional misfits of your own station in life. Of course you believe in Bigfoot, the zombie apocalypse, the big bang and other hyped up jive just because science says it is real. Come back when you get a little life experience to fall back on.
If Christianity bothers you so much you must have an issue with yourself. You want to rely on science as the answer to everything, Dr. Leakey! I guess you are going to try and tell me that some science is not based on conjecture or filling in the blanks regardless of the indeterminacies of it. You are nothing new, just another egomaniac with little to be egotistic about.
Future Scientist

Johnson City, TN

#16 Friday Sep 5
Sumerianchic wrote:
I prefer rationalism to atheism. The
question of God and other objects-of faith
are outside reason and play no part
in rationalism, thus you don't have to
waste your time in either attacking or
defending.
Religion is something left over from the
infancy of our intelligence; it will fade
away as we adopt reason and science as
our guidelines. Well, we can hope!
I honestly couldn't agree more. It will be a great day when religious radicals no longer have a part in civilized society.
Independent

Johnson City, TN

#17 Friday Sep 5
To believe that man came from life that was formed from a massive cosmic explosion millions of years ago takes much more faith than believing in God. To believe humanity is just an accident is a concept I can't accept. Every time the Hubble sends back pictures of new galaxies, my belief in God grows stronger. I feel sorry for people who have no higher purpose than themselves.
Devolution

Kingsport, TN

#18 Friday Sep 5
Richard wrote:
Christianity will mostly dissipate in the next 100 years. Since the 1950's Christianity has had a lot of opposition, and in recent years it has hit a quicksand pit. Institutions such as, the ACLU takes away the unfair and unjust chains that a religions such as Christianity has on our local, state, and federal governments. While I disagree with your religion, I still respect it. And if it's what makes you feel like you have meaning in your life by all means. It's what generations of Americans have died for, the unwavering right to practice your own choice of religion in a free country. But when you push your views onto me, I will stand against you, I will take action, and I will exercise my right of the First Amendment. Ergo It's amusing seeing someone who can't understand freshman Biology tell me not only what happens when I die, but how all of the complex organisms around us are nothing but stage props for a bigger plan. I resent such ignorance.
What exactly are these "unjust chains" you refer to? What is Christianity forcing upon you or how is it denying you of your free will? You are amusing in a way. You boast of accepting a person's right to religion, claim to respect it, but can't help but throw an insult into your response by calling a religious person ignorant. Biologically speaking, you are a mutation with your advanced ability to speak out of both sides of your mouth at the same time.
NoMo

Kingsport, TN

#19 Friday Sep 5
Tomo wrote:
The certificate reads:
You slow head, can't you see these "free thinkers" just want your monetary contributions? What kind of a nut job would send donations for a certificate of stupidity? The The Freedom From Religion Foundation is nothing more than a hook to make you pay to be hoodwinked. I don't know exactly what your beef with God is, but I can tell you this: You are being used, big time! What are you going to do with that splendid certificate? Present it at your next job interview or show it to your emo teenager girlfriend, or maybe use it to roll a joint? For a free thinker, you have mortgaged your mind for profits to a bunch of parasites who feed off angst, stupidity and rebellion disguised as free thinking. Whew, you have been taken hook, line and sinker!
Jeeper

Kingsport, TN

#20 Sunday Sep 7
Future Scientist wrote:
<quoted text>
I honestly couldn't agree more. It will be a great day when religious radicals no longer have a part in civilized society.
And what do you consider yourself other than an anti religious radical?
Your lack of religion is based on what you and your so called free thinkers consider to be egotistically correct. Your sad but established hatred of religion has deeper roots. Perhaps you blame God for your condition or just have fallen into the impetuous need for kids to rebel. Future Scientist? I don't think so. Kid, when you get some miles under your life, maybe you will realize how taken in you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Brown is the story dead yet? 5 min Moving pics 14
Is There Any Moral Adults At Boone Willing To S... 2 hr Still tired of yo... 6
ISIS Iraq we all know BUSH/Republicans got us i... 4 hr Shyster 15
NutriMost - New Diet Scam 6 hr Neutral 192
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 7 hr ucanthandletruth 9,444
What Is The Common Bond of Ron Dykes And Philli... 10 hr Wondering 14
New School Board To Question Why PTO Complaints... 11 hr Wondering 9
•••
•••
•••

Johnson City Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••