Isn't panhandling illegal??
dana

Lancaster, OH

#63 Oct 19, 2013
stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me a lot of people needing this kind of help is due to making poor decisions in life. No education/trade skill, having babies they cannot afford, charging up credit cards they never intend to pay, buying stuff they cant afford, etc. I watched Suze Orman the other night and they showed this woman whose family took on a mortgage they knew they couldn't afford when they got the house. They never paid a single mortgage payment! It took the bank five years to get these deadbeats out of the house and she was on the show belly-aching that she had no money in the bank because they pissed it all away on three vehicles, new clothes, vacations, etc. And she was crying expecting people to feel sorry for her...the gall of people is amazing.
stfu seriously
Ed Smith

Knoxville, TN

#64 Oct 19, 2013
Cheese Puff Daddy wrote:
<quoted text>
If they're gonna ask for money, you have every right to ask what for and cut out the middle man and offer to purchase said commodity. I like your approach. That kinda takes away the guess work
And even that doesn't always work.

Guy approached me outside fast food place one day "Man, I really need something to eat" ( and looked it ).

So I bought him the same meal deal I was getting. Got mine and went to sit out at a table to eat. I saw him arguing with the girl at the counter, then walk out the door, leaving the food on the tray. I went back up to the girl and asked what the deal was....

"He was trying to get 'his' money back for the food, and I told him once it was served, we couldn't do that....only replace it if there was a problem".

Guy wasn't interested in food....just money.

My dog appreciated the hamburger anyway.
Ed Smith

Knoxville, TN

#65 Oct 19, 2013
give until it hurts wrote:
They're not half as bad as all the stores bombarding you for a donation EVERY time you buy something. And that's after you have dodged the ones at the intersections and the ones standing in front of the store.
Yep....seems a lot of stores now have their pet charity....and it really gets tiresome.

"Want to donate a dollar for (whatever)?".....after you just spent too much on their overpriced stuff..

You start studying "charities" and it's amazing how much of donations never leaves the office.

Some years back, Elizabeth Dole, then head of the Red Cross, was considering a run for president. The joke was she would have to take a 50% pay cut if she got the job. The president was then being paid 200k/yr.

Is it not possible SOMEBODY out there could run the Red Cross for a whole lot less than 400k/yr ??
Booker Phillips

Jonesborough, TN

#66 Oct 19, 2013
Do something wrote:
If not it should be. I'm sick of seeing it. The same person is in front of the Micheal's store almost every day and the Wal-mart entrance is another hot spot. I have a heart but not for these people.
Its only illegal if its done by the side of the roadway or on private property. If you do it from the confines of your domain, its legal, and they refer to it as liberalism.
IHS

Watauga, TN

#67 Oct 28, 2013
Booker Phillips wrote:
<quoted text>
Its only illegal if its done by the side of the roadway or on private property. If you do it from the confines of your domain, its legal, and they refer to it as liberalism.
Gods wrath will fall upon your family before the holiday season for your heartless and thoughtless comments. Amen
H obama

Johnson City, TN

#68 Oct 30, 2013
Do something wrote:
If not it should be. I'm sick of seeing it. The same person is in front of the Micheal's store almost every day and the Wal-mart entrance is another hot spot. I have a heart but not for these people.
What do you mean these people,sounds like a racist statement
Harp

Watauga, TN

#69 Nov 1, 2013
Why not? The wealthy have their hand out all the time? When they do it thru manipulation and voter Supression , it's called conservatism.
shannon

United States

#70 Nov 2, 2013
Do something wrote:
they also beg at walmart stores too. pain in the neck sights.
aneil caviti

Niceville, FL

#71 Nov 13, 2013
You're all a bunch of queers.
aneil caviti

Niceville, FL

#72 Nov 13, 2013
youre all a bunch of queers. go circle jerk and finger plug each other.
Lawdog

Kingsport, TN

#73 Nov 13, 2013
dave wrote:
Everyone on welfare or food stamps panhandles from the Goverment.
Yep, and every corporation is guilty of the same thing, with tax breaks and subsidies to further their own success. Lazy people see it as the same thing. It works for big money, why not for the other parasitic people? Old fat and lazy big wigs do the same thing every day, but it is called capitalism and business savvy.
nunyabiz

United States

#74 Nov 13, 2013
I do not get foodstamps med card or gov check. I panhandle it is my job. Ive seen the country 3 times. I make a 6 figure income holding a sign. Hungry vet will work for food. In the right area i have made 5g in 6 hrs
Lawdog

Kingsport, TN

#75 Nov 13, 2013
nunyabiz wrote:
I do not get foodstamps med card or gov check. I panhandle it is my job. Ive seen the country 3 times. I make a 6 figure income holding a sign. Hungry vet will work for food. In the right area i have made 5g in 6 hrs
"Horsehockey"
416Barrett

Irvine, KY

#76 Nov 18, 2013
I worked out of Charlotte for awhile and panhandlers would be standing at the red light beside the motel. We would always take one a burger after work and he seemed grateful. One day we were sitting out on the balcony and saw that poor homeless man walk over and get into a new Mercedes and drive off. We saw him the next evening and asked him what he was doing begging at the red light. He said he could make much better money being a bum than he could at a real job. I feel sorry for people that are down on their luck...but some take advantage of us.
John King

United States

#77 Dec 12, 2013
dave wrote:
Everyone on welfare or food stamps panhandles from the Goverment.
Agreed. I am 35 years old and am lucky enough to have never gone to bed hungry. I have been a food delivery driver for 7 years straight and have had good luck with vehicles until just recently. I am now without a car and in jeopardy of losing my job. Soon after I could be evicted from my residence. Both of my parents passed 16 and 14 years ago and I have very little family to ask for help. My point is that not all of those in need are lazy or so called bums or drug addicts. Just dont judge others because you have no idea how or why that person is in that position. People who have parents and grandparents and family to use as a safety net are very lucky. But realize not all of us are so lucky.
haha

Greenville, SC

#78 Dec 12, 2013
Ask jcpd were panhandling on wilson lol
Megan T

Morgantown, WV

#79 Dec 21, 2013
...Really? I love how everyone seems to think that having a job is so terrible, that people who panhandle would rather stand on the street, begging for money, getting cussed at and degraded, getting things thrown at them, and feeling the mind-numbing shame of it. Most of those people? Are genuinely down on their luck. Some of them have been without a job for a long time, and would love to have one. Some of them actually can't get one for whatever reason.
Panhandling is one of the most terrible experiences to go through. You do it because you HAVE to, to survive. Standing in traffic or on a corner for 4-12 hours is absolutely awful. Having people yell at you, having them roll down their window just to tell you what a terrible, lazy person you are? Without them knowing the first thing about you?
In case you can't tell, I am a panhandler. I do it not because I am lazy, unwilling to work, an addict, or anything like that. I do it because it's the one of the only options left to me. I got fired from my job because I couldn't get reliable child care, and was having trouble finding a new one. I started doing odd-jobs, mostly cleaning, and I found those on craigslist, and that was ok but it wasn't nearly enough to support myself or my kids. I responded to an advertisement for a cleaner, and I got attacked and had my wallet stolen. My ID, my SSC, my FoodStamp Card, my money for rent that month... Everything. The police (which would be the Sheriff's Dept, in Morgantown, WV) basically told me there was nothing they could do for me, and that I was wasting their time. After that, I will not go to another house that I found on craigslist. I got attacked and had basically my life stolen, for a job that was supposed to pay $45. I now can't get an actual job, because I have no id. I couldn't renew my foodstamps, I lost my house because I didn't have rent. I'm lucky I haven't gotten a visit from CPS yet, the way everything's going they would probably take my kids. I'm not a bad mom. I'm poor, and I can't seem to get back on my feet. I panhandle because it was the only thing I could come up with to do that actually allows me to provide.
I stand in an intersection for 1-4 hours at a time, 3-8 times a day. I have had things thrown at me, I have been cussed at and called names. There are some people that will go out of their way to tell me what a P.O.S. I am, because obviously they know me and my situation, and because I'm a young woman and physically able to work, and I'm a "lazy, no-good, beggar - GET A JOB!!".
I am so completely sick of people that think because they have a job, that they're better than me. I'm in a bad place, and have been for a couple months now. I am able to feed my kids, because of the kindness of strangers. Without that I wouldn't be able to keep them. I love them dearly, and I want them with me, but I won't let them go hungry, or without shelter. I am lucky enough to have family in my area. My family will help me with my kids, will buy me food on occasion, but nothing further. They can't help me further - they don't have the means. I have a car, and it's been my house several times. I had one woman see me get into it, and because I have a car (a beat-up, 14 year old car that barely limps along, mind you) I am not "poor enough" to panhandle. Never mind that it's my family's only means of transportation, that I bought it when I was still working, or that it's occasionally our shelter.
I'm tired of going out to stand in the street. I am tired of being put-down by jerks. I am tired of getting out there every day. I do it because I don't have a real choice. And this is the only way I can talk back to the people that yell at me. I can't do it while I'm out there, or I'm "ungrateful." So, to every single person that has tried so hard to make me feel worse that I already do?
FUCK YOU.
Megan T

Morgantown, WV

#80 Dec 21, 2013
So, I finally got a whole lot of anger that's been building up off my chest. It makes me feel a lot better. So now, I have a message for every kind-hearted person that has stopped to talk to, or help out someone that's asking for help.
Thank you, so very much. I have accepted as little as kind words, and it always makes me feel better. You don't have to give me money, or food, or anything. A friendly word, or a laugh? Those things are priceless and held dear to my heart. Someone rolling down their window, just to tell me that they're praying for my situation to get better, or to make a joke to make me laugh, or once, a group of guys rolled down their windows, opened their doors, played a song at full volume and got out and danced and laughed with me. I hate doing what I do, but those moment of happiness? They are so wonderful.
Thank you, to everyone that has ever helped - in Any way.
yellowroseofde

Kennett Square, PA

#82 May 12, 2014
Look, I've had to panhandle. I don't like it, but that's what I had to do to get food and gas in my car. I live in my car. I am starting a job in a few days, but I won't get paid for a few weeks. My husbands Dr. doesn't want him working till he gets surgery. I just got off bed rest from my surgery. Yea my foot still hurts, but I have to work. I am trying the best I can. Not all panhandlers are junkies. I don't appreciate being singled out. I work my ass off when I do work, but sometimes it just doesn't seem to help.
what a crock

Friendsville, TN

#83 May 12, 2014
Panhandling wrote:
<quoted text>
As does everyone who takes deductions such as mortgage interest or charitable donations on their tax returns, only they are panhandling from fellow tax-payers.
How in the tax - paying world would I be taking money from a fellow tax payer by deducting something I have spent in to all year? Now, if you were discussing a fat-azzed lazy dead-beat person downloading 12 kids and then collecting all your welfare and child credits while not gainfully employed I may have a problem with your logic(or lack of). You are FOS and need to stop this wealth-envy BS. BTW, have you ever worked for a poor old pan-handler? Didn't think so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 17 min Jennifer 1,485
Williams property for school 3 hr Taxpayer 8
Eldridge and Meredith caught by JCP 3 hr Control of School... 127
Rick Cheek at Comcast 8 hr American Injun 3
Firehouse Subs should be in Johnson City!!!!! 12 hr SUBmarine 1
LGBT and now Q? 13 hr Really 101
Kimberly Babb? 14 hr yep 2

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance