Isn't panhandling illegal??
Cheese Puff Daddy

Park Hills, MO

#43 May 15, 2013
MissRN wrote:
I don't feel the need to give money to random people asking. There are SO many places to go to for assistance...I will tell them what they are but I sure am not giving money to people. I will donate to these charities and agencies instead(Salvation Army, Second Harvest food bank, etc etc) There are just way too many places to help people.
That's a great way to give back, great places. Good Samaritans does great work, too. All in all if you give somebody a couple bucks and they lied to you to get it, you can be thankful they weren't as bad off as they said or be happy that person ate that day because of your kindness. If 4 out of 5 are lying its worth it because you made a difference in 1 persons life. Could be a life changer for them, you never know.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#44 May 15, 2013
Stuffy issue... IF these folks have the BALLS to get out there and panhandle... I can spare a buck!!...Takes courage, WHEN you are down on YOUR luck to ASK for help!!... Ya know, it's EASY to say...There are agencies to help you....ARE YOU GONNA... DRIVE them there??..THEY are NEW in Town..They have NO idea..WHERE these Establishments Are located...OR. if they ARE in the WRONG part of town... Remember, YOU and I...are just a paycheck away... FROM being HOMELESS !!!!...Be kind, spare change is JUST that...
Pop

Jonesborough, TN

#45 May 15, 2013
Unfortunately, these days, the panhandlers play on the sympathy of individuals. Most, not all, are simply scammers. For instance, how many people on here have been approached by someone stating their car is down the road and they ran out of gas driving to a new job in Florida or some place a ways away? All they need is some money for gas so they can get to this new job. This is the oldest scam in the book and one that I have seen frequently.

I simply respond by stating "let me go get some gas and I will put it in your car personally." "Just tell me where your car is and I will be there in about 15 minutes." The typical response I receive is the car is a long ways away and if I would just give the money to the panhandler, they will get the gas so that I won't be troubled. I respond by stating I don't mind and it will be much quicker if I use my car to get the gas. At this point in time, the panhandler either shoots me the bird, spews vulgarities at me or runs away.

The other scam is quite simply and applies to alcoholics or drug users. If you give them money, you are simply abetting their addiction because that money goes to more alcohol and more drugs.

The best solution, simply say no and if you actually want to help those who want to be helped, give to a local charity or church.
Cheese Puff Daddy

Park Hills, MO

#46 May 15, 2013
Pop wrote:
Unfortunately, these days, the panhandlers play on the sympathy of individuals. Most, not all, are simply scammers. For instance, how many people on here have been approached by someone stating their car is down the road and they ran out of gas driving to a new job in Florida or some place a ways away? All they need is some money for gas so they can get to this new job. This is the oldest scam in the book and one that I have seen frequently.

I simply respond by stating "let me go get some gas and I will put it in your car personally." "Just tell me where your car is and I will be there in about 15 minutes." The typical response I receive is the car is a long ways away and if I would just give the money to the panhandler, they will get the gas so that I won't be troubled. I respond by stating I don't mind and it will be much quicker if I use my car to get the gas. At this point in time, the panhandler either shoots me the bird, spews vulgarities at me or runs away.

The other scam is quite simply and applies to alcoholics or drug users. If you give them money, you are simply abetting their addiction because that money goes to more alcohol and more drugs.

The best solution, simply say no and if you actually want to help those who want to be helped, give to a local charity or church.
If they're gonna ask for money, you have every right to ask what for and cut out the middle man and offer to purchase said commodity. I like your approach. That kinda takes away the guess work
give until it hurts

Johnson City, TN

#47 May 22, 2013
They're not half as bad as all the stores bombarding you for a donation EVERY time you buy something. And that's after you have dodged the ones at the intersections and the ones standing in front of the store. But what totally freaked me out was when the ATM card swiper asked me if I wanted to donate after I swiped my debit card at Walgreens! I believe in charity but if I just donated a buck every time I was asked I'd be broke.
Really grateful

Gilbert, AZ

#48 Aug 30, 2013
Just curious...haters, how many panhandlers do you know personally? I only ask because you all seen so...insightful regarding their morality, predilection for laziness and substance abuse, and their decision making capabilities. So I assume you all must know a great number of these people personally, maybe they are even friends or family...or at least you must have read empathic their prison/psych records to be a fair representative sample of these ..."losers" to make you a qualified judge. Thank you for taking the time to school me, and you're right...These disgusting creatures SHOULD be jailed for annoying you when you deign to leave your pretty glass house to shop at WalMart. The nerve!
Really Grateful

Gilbert, AZ

#49 Aug 30, 2013
Just curious...to all of you haters posting on this subject. How many of these panhandlers do you all know personally? I only ask because you all seem so insightful when it comes to their disposition for laziness and substance abuse, the sorry state of their morality, and the certainty that they in fact should refrain from making life decisions since they so clearly aren't capable of it. So I guess you have taken the time to personally get to know a HUGE number of these people, perhaps they are even counted among your friends and family. At the very least, you must have read tons of the prison records and psych evals orf these reprobates, enough to constitue a representative sampling of these sorry bastards, allowing you to gain the invaluable (and IRREFUTABLE) knowledge and wisdom that you so generously share with us now? I agree with you,,,These horrible creatures SHOULD be arrested for...annoying you when you deign to leave your pretty glass houses to grace the world with your presence at the Wal-Mart. The nerve!
vicki

Beatrice, NE

#50 Sep 20, 2013
Do something wrote:
If not it should be. I'm sick of seeing it. The same person is in front of the Micheal's store almost every day and the Wal-mart entrance is another hot spot. I have a heart but not for these people.
take a walk in there shoes before you judge like myself yes i pan handle why i am taking chemo and have pay for meds and i lost my job when company moved to china and i have applied for a few jobs but with economy there just arent any jobs and when i apply i dont get called for interview or if i do i am called go in then its let me review and call u this week with start time never happens and i am sick so i gotta pay for my meds so yes i pan handle
vicki

Beatrice, NE

#51 Sep 20, 2013
Cheese Puff Daddy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a great way to give back, great places. Good Samaritans does great work, too. All in all if you give somebody a couple bucks and they lied to you to get it, you can be thankful they weren't as bad off as they said or be happy that person ate that day because of your kindness. If 4 out of 5 are lying its worth it because you made a difference in 1 persons life. Could be a life changer for them, you never know.
most of charities when go to say they have no funds then what r u to do go panhandle so quit judging you snob and walk in thier shoes
vicki

Beatrice, NE

#52 Sep 20, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
Stuffy issue... IF these folks have the BALLS to get out there and panhandle... I can spare a buck!!...Takes courage, WHEN you are down on YOUR luck to ASK for help!!... Ya know, it's EASY to say...There are agencies to help you....ARE YOU GONNA... DRIVE them there??..THEY are NEW in Town..They have NO idea..WHERE these Establishments Are located...OR. if they ARE in the WRONG part of town... Remember, YOU and I...are just a paycheck away... FROM being HOMELESS !!!!...Be kind, spare change is JUST that...
thank you for caring
vicki

Beatrice, NE

#53 Sep 20, 2013
Pop wrote:
i am a panhandler have been since being diagnosed with cancer and hey shooking i dont drink or drug never have quit judging all us by 1 bad apple
vicki

Beatrice, NE

#54 Sep 20, 2013
Really grateful wrote:
Just curious...haters, how many panhandlers do you know personally? I only ask because you all seen so...insightful regarding their morality, predilection for laziness and substance abuse, and their decision making capabilities. So I assume you all must know a great number of these people personally, maybe they are even friends or family...or at least you must have read empathic their prison/psych records to be a fair representative sample of these ..."losers" to make you a qualified judge. Thank you for taking the time to school me, and you're right...These disgusting creatures SHOULD be jailed for annoying you when you deign to leave your pretty glass house to shop at WalMart. The nerve!
get out of your glass bubble this real world we out there
Will Not Give Anymore

Elizabethton, TN

#55 Sep 20, 2013
vicki wrote:
<quoted text>i am a panhandler have been since being diagnosed with cancer and hey shooking i dont drink or drug never have quit judging all us by 1 bad apple
Vicki, you sound like you may be one of the few honest ones, and I wish you the best of luck.
Unfortunately, the majority of the panhandlers seem to be dishonest and/or scammers; especially the ones that hang out at the shopping lots like Walmart, Kmart, JC Mall, etc. I recently gave a few dollars to a panhandler over at the Walmart entrance. She (the panhandler) said she needed the money for gas, food & necessities. Shortly thereafter, I saw her get into a car with a few other people (other panhandlers?) and they were all smoking cigarettes & yacking on their cell phones. I was pissed off! My contribution wasn't meant for the panhandler to finance her cell phone/cigarettes.
No I refuse to even give a nickel to any pandhandler... not one!
Probably 9 out of 10 of them are scamming, dishonest people... and that ruins it for the good ones that you seem to be. You can blame those scamming panhandlers for hindering your needs.
Jim P

United States

#56 Sep 29, 2013
I won't either.
Will Not Give Anymore wrote:
<quoted text>
Vicki, you sound like you may be one of the few honest ones, and I wish you the best of luck.
Unfortunately, the majority of the panhandlers seem to be dishonest and/or scammers; especially the ones that hang out at the shopping lots like Walmart, Kmart, JC Mall, etc. I recently gave a few dollars to a panhandler over at the Walmart entrance. She (the panhandler) said she needed the money for gas, food & necessities. Shortly thereafter, I saw her get into a car with a few other people (other panhandlers?) and they were all smoking cigarettes & yacking on their cell phones. I was pissed off! My contribution wasn't meant for the panhandler to finance her cell phone/cigarettes.
No I refuse to even give a nickel to any pandhandler... not one!
Probably 9 out of 10 of them are scamming, dishonest people... and that ruins it for the good ones that you seem to be. You can blame those scamming panhandlers for hindering your needs.

Since: Jul 13

Park Hills, MO

#57 Sep 30, 2013
vicki wrote:
<quoted text>most of charities when go to say they have no funds then what r u to do go panhandle so quit judging you snob and walk in thier shoes
It's no wonder you can't get a job, you're an idiot. Read back what I wrote real slow so that you have a chance at comprehending it and if it still doesn't register correctly see if you can seek residence at the Dawn of Hope because you're clearly retarded
Boston

Watauga, TN

#58 Oct 1, 2013
Yup wrote:
<quoted text>
"These people" = panhandlers
I see the same ones in front of Walmart...I would think if someone has time to sit there and beg for money they have time to work at a job to make money. Even if its mowing yards, painting, etc.
If justice rings true, and it does, you will be one of those who are destitute one day.

There are actually whole families living out of cars. In walmart parking lots .

My business is cleaning floors. I strip wax and rewax while stores are closed. I can go to walmarts parking lot on any given night and five men will jump out of their cars and head for my truck.

I've take to two of them. The two men will work all night long while the two wives and one child can stay together in one car.

There's a program called FAMILY PROMISE of bristol where 13 churches have agreed to open their doors and allow some to sleep inside Gods House.

There's 151 area churches and it took two years for 10 churches to agree to help homeless people.

I'm A Christian. The churches in the TRI cities are DEAD.
Mr McClain

Mooresville, NC

#59 Oct 16, 2013
Do something wrote:
If not it should be. I'm sick of seeing it. The same person is in front of the Micheal's store almost every day and the Wal-mart entrance is another hot spot. I have a heart but not for these people.
You're right.
Ranger

Johnson City, TN

#60 Oct 16, 2013
Mr McClain wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right.
Ball Hog.
Middle ground

Bennettsville, SC

#61 Oct 18, 2013
stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me a lot of people needing this kind of help is due to making poor decisions in life. No education/trade skill, having babies they cannot afford, charging up credit cards they never intend to pay, buying stuff they cant afford, etc. I watched Suze Orman the other night and they showed this woman whose family took on a mortgage they knew they couldn't afford when they got the house. They never paid a single mortgage payment! It took the bank five years to get these deadbeats out of the house and she was on the show belly-aching that she had no money in the bank because they pissed it all away on three vehicles, new clothes, vacations, etc. And she was crying expecting people to feel sorry for her...the gall of people is amazing.
The blame in this matter is not completely one sided. The bank shares a portion of the blame. A good bank will not give loans to people who cannot afford it. These banks were dishing out bad mortgages with full knowledge that the people would never be able to pay it back. They did not care because the loans had PMI insurance that was backed by AIG. This is the real reason it takes them several years to foreclose because they are receiving the loan payment each month from AIG which was bailed out by us the taxpayers. After five years the housing market started to bounce back and the house could be sold at a fair market price. The banks basically get what they had financed back plus several years of payments. Win win for the banks. Lose lose for the tax payers. The banks by no stretch of the imagination lost anything on these bad mortgages. As a matter of fact the typical "squatter" that continued to stay at these residences typically maintain the house and by being occupied, it is a deterrence to vandalisms and other crimes against property. In Tennessee the average foreclosure takes approximately four months to close. The reason being is there was only a slight fall in the housing market.
dana

Lancaster, OH

#62 Oct 19, 2013
Do something wrote:
so we abolish tv commercials and billboards and the many advertising entities we bombarded with on a daily basis? right....you don't have to buy the product...just like you don't have to give money to panhandlers. DERP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rent 15 hr also want to know 8
Misti Holden crain Sat wantit eatit 4
News 100,000 veterans face long waits to see VA doctors (Jun '14) Sat railrider 2
Snitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sat Little old lady 17
Good looking 34 YO wanting to screw around wit... Jul 21 Understand 4
total family medicine/grace internal medicine (Dec '15) Jul 21 growup 21
I Miss Anna Zook! Jul 21 curious 19

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages