Isn't panhandling illegal??

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Do something

United States

#1 Jul 8, 2012
If not it should be. I'm sick of seeing it. The same person is in front of the Micheal's store almost every day and the Wal-mart entrance is another hot spot. I have a heart but not for these people.
Picky heart

United States

#2 Jul 8, 2012
Define "these people."
Do something

United States

#3 Jul 8, 2012
Picky heart wrote:
Define "these people."
Panhandlers. Can you not read?
Yup

Franklin, TN

#4 Jul 8, 2012
Picky heart wrote:
Define "these people."
"These people" = panhandlers

I see the same ones in front of Walmart...I would think if someone has time to sit there and beg for money they have time to work at a job to make money. Even if its mowing yards, painting, etc.
Picky heart

United States

#5 Jul 8, 2012
Of course I can read, I obviously was asking for an expansion on the vague definition already clearly offered in the subject line. You are obviously having a trying and bitter day, I was just trying to dig a little further to see what was bothering you so badly, in hopes of bringing you up. I guess I was hoping maybe if you could define it further, for example, are you upset by particular individuals, say, seeing the same people day after day that you feel could be doing something else with their time, versus being upset at lack of jobs in this area, you could work out your frustration a little better. Or maybe by "these people" you meant that they were getting aggressive or violent with you, because I have only ever seen people sitting there harmless & defeated, but maybe you had more to the story, because it is rather unusual to have such a strong reaction to something that most adults would just ignore or get over, but I guess we all do that. I get the feeling you have something deeper going on that you need a listening ear, otherwise why would you feel the need to put your venting words out here, when most people would just ignore or look away from something like this if it bothered them. Your original post and odd response to me seems to verify that you are having some darkness in you, & if you're anything like me, it helps to get that ugliness out by venting or talking with someone about it. We all get to the point where we are about to be consumed by ugliness, it's nothing to be ashamed of if you work through it. I'm here if you're having a bad time & need to talk.
Picky heart

United States

#6 Jul 8, 2012
Yup wrote:
<quoted text>
"These people" = panhandlers
I see the same ones in front of Walmart...I would think if someone has time to sit there and beg for money they have time to work at a job to make money. Even if its mowing yards, painting, etc.
Agreed. My job has me in the position where I am
constantly amazed at the amount of effort some people can put into NOT working. It blows my mind, because I was raised that if you absolutely need help, then you take it, but you give back at least threefold. It is hard for me to comprehend being content to live on handouts, but fortunately I have never been so broken or in that position.

Panhandlers also make me uncomfortable because they pretty much force you to make a choice to ignore them or give them something. You don't want to be a hard heart by letting some disabled vet with PTSD that can't navigate the system starve to death, but I always feel that it is much more likely I am just giving to a lazy moocher, as harsh as that sounds.

Someone once said something to me about this that helped me in the way I react. It was basically along the lines of, you can't change that person. You can't control if they use cash for diapers or for booze. You can't make them act a different role in society, you can't say, "somebody else needs to change this person because I wish it to be so." You can, however, control your own reaction. You can chose to ignore them, perhaps understandably not wanting to support an addiction. Valid reaction. You can chose to buy them a meal, give them some bottled water or a gift card. Valid reaction. You may chose to give them cash and a ride to the liquor store to get wasted, just for the chance to interact with someone on the margins of society with a smile. It helped me immensely to realize that I can't change someone else, my only responsibility is to myself, that I come away from the interaction a better person, not them. Them becoming a better person is their responsibility.
Do something

United States

#7 Jul 8, 2012
Picky heart wrote:
Of course I can read, I obviously was asking for an expansion on the vague definition already clearly offered in the subject line. You are obviously having a trying and bitter day, I was just trying to dig a little further to see what was bothering you so badly, in hopes of bringing you up. I guess I was hoping maybe if you could define it further, for example, are you upset by particular individuals, say, seeing the same people day after day thatyou feel could be doing something else withtheir time, versus being upset at lack of jobsin this area, you could work out yourfrustration a little better. Or maybe by "thesepeople" you meant that they were gettingaggressive or violent with you, because Ihave only ever seen people sitting thereharmless & defeated, but maybe you hadmore to the story, because it is ratherunusualto have such a strong reaction tosomething that most adults would just ignore orget over, but I guess we all do that. I get thefeeling you have something deeper going onthat you need a listening ear, otherwise whywould you feel the need to put your ventingwords out here, when most people wouldjust ignore or look away from somethinglikethis if it bothered them. Youroriginalpost and odd response to me seemsto verify that you are having somedarkness in you, & if you're anything likeme, it helps to get that ugliness out byventingor talking with someone about it. We allget to the point where we are about to beconsumed by ugliness, it's nothing to beashamed of if you work through it. I'm here ifyou're having a bad time & need totalk.
Sounds like a crock of shit to me. Are you a motivational speaker? Please someone answer my question. Can't the police di something? Picky heart please go adopt a dog or something useful with your time.
Picky heart

United States

#9 Jul 8, 2012
Yeah, I kinda am. ;)

Some people want to make the world a better place & live life fully, some chose to focus on the negative they cant control and be consumed by ugliness. You and I are blessed to daily chose which group we will fall in to. If you change your mind about which group you want to be in, I'm cooped up all week working so I'm sure I'll be on the internets a lot if you need to talk. Or, instead of working on yourself, you are more than welcome to go on whining for someone else to fix your problem for you (ironically the thing people dont like about panhandlers, lol). The great thing is, either way, it's your choice.

And yes, you can call the police, if they don't remove the person for panhandling they can for trespassing from what I understand. Let's try an experiment. Why don't you do that, & see if it solves all your panhandler problems, or if instead, you may see another panhandler on another day, and get yourself all worked up into another tizzy because you still haven't realized that you are responsible for yourself and your reactions. The thing is, we probably have very similar views on the act of panhandling, but I realize I can react in a way that leaves me happy at the end if the day, but you are still so angry over this hours later that you are taking crap shots at random friendly neighbors on topix.
If you have a dog, don't get mad at me for still trying to bring your spirits up and kick it or anything. Remember, you can only control you!

“Diogenes”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#10 Jul 9, 2012
Panhandling is only illegal if they do it in close proximity to the roadway, similar to hitchhiking. Or if they are begging on private property. It is not illegal to ask someone for a buck, just depends on how and where they do it.
dave

Julian, NC

#11 Jul 9, 2012
Everyone on welfare or food stamps panhandles from the Goverment.
Panhandling

United States

#12 Jul 9, 2012
dave wrote:
Everyone on welfare or food stamps panhandles from the Goverment.
As does everyone who takes deductions such as mortgage interest or charitable donations on their tax returns, only they are panhandling from fellow tax-payers.
Quit Supporting Them

Johnson City, TN

#14 Jul 9, 2012
... and isn't it strangely funny how most of those panhandlers/beggars are either talking on a cell phone, or smoking a cigarette simultaneously as they're holding up their "money pleading" signs. Hmmm... wonder how they can afford to have a cellphone and/or cigarettes.
Seems to me that the citizens who are sympathetic enough to throw those pandhandlers/beggars money are simply paying for those cellphones/cigarettes.
Huh

Johnson City, TN

#15 Jul 9, 2012
Panhandling wrote:
<quoted text>
As does everyone who takes deductions such as mortgage interest or charitable donations on their tax returns, only they are panhandling from fellow tax-payers.
Taking legal deductions that are allowed by the tax code is not panhandeling from anybody. The government gets plenty of money from taxpayers on top of their deductions.
ima

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Nov 17, 2012
Not all panhandlers are addicts or scammers.Before you judge try shifting your perspective.Leave your home ,car and all your money and credit cards and try sleeping outside or trying to seek daily shelter for just a few days and see if you arent desperate and begging in no time.See if people will even hire you and if they do try to find shelter everyday and work while you wait for a paycheck that takes 3 weeks to come .
Most Americans are 2 paychecks away from homelessness.There are way more homeless people out there that there are beds and services and churches dont help, call them and any other "services" you think help and pretend your homeless and see them blow you off!If you suddenly had not a dime and nowhere to sleep at night these people you want punished could be you...
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#17 Nov 18, 2012
Good God, either donate or shutup!

Its that simple!
Johnson City, TN

#18 Nov 18, 2012
OldTennGranny wrote:
Good God, either donate or shutup!
Its that simple!
Good God dosen't anybody have compassion in their heart anymore.This concerns me.
Johnson City, TN

#19 Nov 18, 2012
Granny I wasnt responding to you specifically but the whole thread and people in general
problem too

Kingsport, TN

#20 Nov 18, 2012
Karma wrote:
<quoted text>Good God dosen't anybody have compassion in their heart anymore.This concerns me.
It seems to me when money gets tight people get tight and have less compassion for others .Seems like we are looking for someone to blame
stupid

Jonesborough, TN

#21 Nov 18, 2012
ima wrote:
Not all panhandlers are addicts or scammers.Before you judge try shifting your perspective.Leave your home ,car and all your money and credit cards and try sleeping outside or trying to seek daily shelter for just a few days and see if you arent desperate and begging in no time.See if people will even hire you and if they do try to find shelter everyday and work while you wait for a paycheck that takes 3 weeks to come .
Most Americans are 2 paychecks away from homelessness.There are way more homeless people out there that there are beds and services and churches dont help, call them and any other "services" you think help and pretend your homeless and see them blow you off!If you suddenly had not a dime and nowhere to sleep at night these people you want punished could be you...
Seems to me a lot of people needing this kind of help is due to making poor decisions in life. No education/trade skill, having babies they cannot afford, charging up credit cards they never intend to pay, buying stuff they cant afford, etc. I watched Suze Orman the other night and they showed this woman whose family took on a mortgage they knew they couldn't afford when they got the house. They never paid a single mortgage payment! It took the bank five years to get these deadbeats out of the house and she was on the show belly-aching that she had no money in the bank because they pissed it all away on three vehicles, new clothes, vacations, etc. And she was crying expecting people to feel sorry for her...the gall of people is amazing.
The Blend

Johnson City, TN

#22 Nov 18, 2012
Picky heart wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. My job has me in the position where I am
constantly amazed at the amount of effort some people can put into NOT working. It blows my mind, because I was raised that if you absolutely need help, then you take it, but you give back at least threefold. It is hard for me to comprehend being content to live on handouts, but fortunately I have never been so broken or in that position.
Panhandlers also make me uncomfortable because they pretty much force you to make a choice to ignore them or give them something. You don't want to be a hard heart by letting some disabled vet with PTSD that can't navigate the system starve to death, but I always feel that it is much more likely I am just giving to a lazy moocher, as harsh as that sounds.
Someone once said something to me about this that helped me in the way I react. It was basically along the lines of, you can't change that person. You can't control if they use cash for diapers or for booze. You can't make them act a different role in society, you can't say, "somebody else needs to change this person because I wish it to be so." You can, however, control your own reaction. You can chose to ignore them, perhaps understandably not wanting to support an addiction. Valid reaction. You can chose to buy them a meal, give them some bottled water or a gift card. Valid reaction. You may chose to give them cash and a ride to the liquor store to get wasted, just for the chance to interact with someone on the margins of society with a smile. It helped me immensely to realize that I can't change someone else, my only responsibility is to myself, that I come away from the interaction a better person, not them. Them becoming a better person is their responsibility.
You're a wise and caring person.

A man and his wife are making haste thru and airport when a lady approches them.

"Please, can you help me. My daughter needs an operation and we need money to pay for the surgery."

Te husband scoffs (looks the other way) and the woman goes to her purse and produces a $20 and hands it over. They exchange thank YOUs and part.

The husband scold his wife. "What did you do that for? That lady's daughter doesn't need a surgery"

"Oh, Thank God ". Said the woman.

Wen someone approaches me I usually give. I don't know their situation but whatever it is, it can't be good. They are asking and not robbing. It's a personal choice.

Ill go a step further. Once, carrying a suitcase in the hot sun, dead broke and in a bad, bad way and sick too, I was crossing a parlking lot at a hospital. A man walked past me and friendly said "How are you?" And in more of a joke to myself, but truthful, I replied "I've seen better days".

Anyhow, there was a shelter with a bench nearby and I sat down under it to get some relief from the heat and try to think as to where I might go from there.....tough times.

The man came back out of the hospital and went out of his way to come over to me. He said "the Lord told me to give you $20 so if you'll follow me over to the van, my wallet is inside it,

I wasn't In a position to refuse. He graciously handed me a $20 and told me that he belonged to a very strong prayer group that met on Wednesdays at his church and invited me to come, when I got things settled and he wished me luck. Ill never foget it and I try t pass it on.

I'm curious to know why someone would be angered by the poor. Even those who can work and won't. I don't understand it, but it doesn't anger me. I have to work and I accept it. I like working, I've worked my whole life with a few spurts in between. I've never actively panhandled and I don't think I've ever really borrowed.

I have to say, I'm much more apt to give to a panhandler than to LOAN money to people that I know and people in the workplace.....honest to gosh, out of ten people I loan to only one has made the first attempt to pay me back...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
any hot single ladies wanna chat 16 min lonley 1
zeke's convenient store 1 hr Zekes friend 3
Where do people go for assistance with food or ... 1 hr beenthere 7
Eastern eight community development corp (Nov '11) 7 hr JCary 17
ROE cutting vets off pain meds 12 hr Zzz 5
Psychiatrist Arrested Lived Next to Towne Acres 16 hr Winn Dixie 3
mark reynolds, meteorologist (Mar '12) 16 hr Winn Dixie 51
NutriMost - New Diet Scam 23 hr DonotbesoNaive 250
Johnson City Dating
Find my Match