CNAquit

Johnson City, TN

#82 Sep 6, 2012
I recently quit my position because it was too stressful to take care of patients with no staff. I think they should of terminated my nurse manager and her ass kissing side kick clinical coordinator who do absolutely nothing. Also, so many higher ups that suit no purpose at all. Get rid of them not frontline staff, family advocates, which were amazing when my mother in hospital. MSHA is a money hungry pit to work in, they care about money only. Patients and employees dont matter as long as they can pay Vonderfuc his paycheck and keep building things they dont need just for looks.
Grammar Nazi

Columbus, OH

#83 Sep 7, 2012
CNAquit wrote:
I think they should of terminated my nurse manager and her ass kissing side kick clinical coordinator who do absolutely nothing.
There is no such creature as "should of". The correct usage is "should've" which sounds the same and is short for "should have".
blueclaw

Johnson City, TN

#84 Sep 7, 2012
From what I hear, it's headhunting there. Any excuse to can someone reaching retirement age. Damn shame, being that the folks who actually do the real work there are underpaid and subject to lame insurance and benefits anyhow. A fine example today's economic woe.
team

Jonesborough, TN

#85 Sep 12, 2012
Dont you love on both Facebook, DICE website and everywhere they are advertising to hire people?? really??? what happened to the ones you DiD have? Oh yea.. they made too much money! I can tell you, however, their IS (that they are heavily advertising for right now) is a complete disaster. The CIO was just hired to shove the system in and the COO they promoted is vindicative if you dont do her bidding.
Grammar Nazi

Columbus, OH

#86 Sep 12, 2012
team wrote:
Dont you love on both Facebook, DICE website and everywhere they are advertising to hire people?? really??? what happened to the ones you DiD have? Oh yea.. they made too much money! I can tell you, however, their IS (that they are heavily advertising for right now) is a complete disaster. The CIO was just hired to shove the system in and the COO they promoted is vindicative if you dont do her bidding.
There is no such creature as "vindicative"... it's VINDICTIVE.
team

Jonesborough, TN

#87 Sep 12, 2012
Grammar Nazi wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such creature as "vindicative"... it's VINDICTIVE.
LOL! you are correct. Thanks for catching.
simply amazed

Johnson City, TN

#88 Sep 16, 2012
CNAquit wrote:
I recently quit my position because it was too stressful to take care of patients with no staff. I think they should of terminated my nurse manager and her ass kissing side kick clinical coordinator who do absolutely nothing. Also, so many higher ups that suit no purpose at all. Get rid of them not frontline staff, family advocates, which were amazing when my mother in hospital. MSHA is a money hungry pit to work in, they care about money only. Patients and employees dont matter as long as they can pay Vonderfuc his paycheck and keep building things they dont need just for looks.
Hate that you are just now finding that out. The lazier you are the more ass you kiss the father you go at MSHA - has been that way for a long long long time!!!!!!!!!! The CEO is one of the top paid in the country and cares only about himself. He is like Clinton - he thinks that his looks make people trust him, and helps them feel better about being screwed - lol
Guys the Truth

Johnson City, TN

#89 Sep 17, 2012
Attny wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruce Shine - employment attorney in Kspt and has had several MSHA cases. He is about the only employment attny in the area too.. If that is what you are looking for.. if its another type attny, good luck.. you most likely would have to go to Knoxville
I agree, you most likely need to go out of the city. Bruce Shine is ok, but getting a little long in the tooth and doesn't have the fight left in him that he once did. I recommend Tony Farmer in Knoxville.
Whatttt

Jonesborough, TN

#90 Sep 20, 2012
MSHA is now going to lay off all the transcriptionists to outsource.. more than likely not locally.. between thanksgiving and Christmas? this is thier idea of taking care of thier community or is it what we all think.. putting your name on stuff all over town such as the Mini dome? How can they be advertising all these career fairs and job openings when in the same breath they are letting people go??? they are so unethical it isnt even funny.
wwwwwhat

Jonesborough, TN

#91 Sep 24, 2012
why is it considered unethical to outsource transcriptionists? if it means that healthcare costs don't rise as quickly next year, isn't that a good thing? their job is to give us healthcare as good and as cheaply as they can, not to keep you employed.
Mozart

Johnson City, TN

#92 Sep 24, 2012
wwwwwhat wrote:
why is it considered unethical to outsource transcriptionists? if it means that healthcare costs don't rise as quickly next year, isn't that a good thing? their job is to give us healthcare as good and as cheaply as they can, not to keep you employed.
Their job is to keep the profit margin as high as possible. Terminating older employees and then holding job fairs for new employees, who will start at the lowest level of wages will accomplish their goals. Wonder if any of the older employees will be going to the job fairs?
wwwwwhat

Jonesborough, TN

#93 Sep 24, 2012
As an economist, I would agree that their job is and should be to keep the profit margin as high as possible. I'm not sure what the MSHA profit margin is, but for most hospitals, it's near break-even. Their biggest customer, Medicare, by law only has to pay 80% of what MSHA pays to provide care to Medicare beneficiaries. Losing the Eastman contract as the first poster points out, knocks that margin down a bit further because they don't have as many profitable cases to make up for the edicare patients and those without insurance.

If you disagree that the job of management is to focus on profitability, all you need to do is look at the hospital in Unicoi. By not focusing on strongly on profitability, they can't pay their vendors or their employees and soon no one will have a job unless they join Wellmont or MSHA.

I strongly doubt that the terminations were age-related. What you're implying is that the HR office compiled a list of the most tenured employees and made sure they were on the top of the termination list. I'm sure there is a company policy preventing that from happening, because to do otherwise would be a serious violation of federal labor law, and even a half-competent corporate attorney would steer them away from that. Because, you know, if it's all about the money as you say, they want to avoid big fines from the feds and lawsuits.
Mozart

Johnson City, TN

#94 Sep 24, 2012
wwwwwhat wrote:
As an economist, I would agree that their job is and should be to keep the profit margin as high as possible. I'm not sure what the MSHA profit margin is, but for most hospitals, it's near break-even. Their biggest customer, Medicare, by law only has to pay 80% of what MSHA pays to provide care to Medicare beneficiaries. Losing the Eastman contract as the first poster points out, knocks that margin down a bit further because they don't have as many profitable cases to make up for the edicare patients and those without insurance.
If you disagree that the job of management is to focus on profitability, all you need to do is look at the hospital in Unicoi. By not focusing on strongly on profitability, they can't pay their vendors or their employees and soon no one will have a job unless they join Wellmont or MSHA.
I strongly doubt that the terminations were age-related. What you're implying is that the HR office compiled a list of the most tenured employees and made sure they were on the top of the termination list. I'm sure there is a company policy preventing that from happening, because to do otherwise would be a serious violation of federal labor law, and even a half-competent corporate attorney would steer them away from that. Because, you know, if it's all about the money as you say, they want to avoid big fines from the feds and lawsuits.
I can't disagree with your comments, but do find it strange that there would be so many terminations, followed by a big job fair. Just sayin.
wwwwwhat

Jonesborough, TN

#95 Sep 25, 2012
If I was MSHA PR, I would say it was to give those affected a chance to find another job they are qualified for, better than to put everyone on the street with no chance for rehire. I looked at their job postings and there are still many openings.

If was Wellmont PR, I might say the job fair was a MSHA PR stunt.

As an economist, I would probably estimate that the jobs available at the fair are different than the jobs "downsized" (or whatever the euphemism is today). MSHA would probably want to retain and retrain anyone laid off that they already know are good workers if they had other needs previously unfilled.

That being said, I thought I also read in the Business Journal that there were more unfilled positions (job postings) cut than filled positions.

They will need to find more positions or waste to cut if Obamacare continues to sail through...the reform law saves dollars by continuing to cut payments to hospitals. And if the insurance companies keep getting squeezed out by the law, the hospital won't have anyone to subsidize the poor or senior citizens. It will be interesting to see what things look like in 5 years.
Whatttt

Jonesborough, TN

#96 Sep 27, 2012
MSHA is buying unicoi county hsp and giving them 1 million for use in their city?? WTH?? Shouldnt you be able to feed your own children before you continue to adopt? they are laying off right and left, supporting every community event going and can still meet the bottom line to buy yet ANOTHER hsp?! Poor Unicoi.. your community hsp is gone. it will never be the same and in a yr (or less) they will close you or significantly reduce your staff to force people into thier bigger facilities. If MSHA cant mke their bottom line, their employees havent had decent increaes, if any, in years, where is the money coming from? Oh yea, reduced staff, reduced services and increasing your costs.... oh and DV's increased perks and salaries for him and his minions.
hillbillyboy

Jonesborough, TN

#97 Oct 3, 2012
Grammar Nazi wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such creature as "should of". The correct usage is "should've" which sounds the same and is short for "should have".
The article "of" didnt really enter English usage until after the Norse had overrun half of England in the 9th century, and establish the "Danelaw".

The WestSaxons that resisted the Norse invasions gradually adopted a slightly different usage of some of the new articles of the English language. After the Norman invasion of 1066, some of the Anglo-Saxon hold outs migrated just north of Hadrians wall into lower Scotland. They refused to submit to Norman rule.

In time, they became the lowland Scots by intermarriages and cultural diffusion. Some of them migrated to the "Ulster Plantation" in the 1600s (Northern Ireland), and about a century later they came to America. They were known as the Scots-Irish.

And they settled this portion of America known as Appalachia, and by cultural isolation, they maintained some of the ancient forms of English.

So, who are you to correct our ancient English just because it dont follow along with the "correct" English that was invented by a handful of rich socialites in Victorian England, only about 150 years ago?

The word "should" is derived from the Old English word "sceal", which is the early form of "shall", and means "must". We wouldnt use the words "Sceal habban" (should have) in Old English, unless we are meaning to say that someone is required to own or possess something (must have). Today it might mean a requirement, such as a identity card, for example.

In saying that someone ought to have done something, we wouldnt have used "sceal habban" (should have)the way you are using it. It dont make sense. Your correction has no historical linguistic basis.

The way she used "Should of", on the other hand, does make sense and have historical basis. It links the article "of" with a possessive context to the word "should" and denotes a course of action, not required ownership. Big difference.

So when she used the term "should of", she was actually historically correct. And that does work and have historical and linguistic basis.

So, "should of", is correct.

The rich old women who reinvented the made up and nonsensical modern English of today, just didnt understand the English language in its historical place in our culture. They had more money than sense, and enough money and political pull, to force a standardization program into the British schools of the 19th century.

But I see no reason for us Appalachians to abandon our ancient toungue for the likes of them.
Grammar Bavarian

Jonesborough, TN

#98 Oct 3, 2012
Mr. Hillbilly: If I was even 5% confident that the individual you defend had an excellent command of the English language (new or olde, take your pick!), I would be inclined to agree with you. However, her use of "should of," while perhaps historically correct, is neither contextually correct or beneficial to the pervasive stereotype amongst our learned Northern aggressors that Appalachian Americans are unable to speak or spell. Some traditions are better left dead, and this is another excellent example.

I salute the honorable work of Grammar Nazi for the thankless task of attempting to educate the unwashed in that holy site of illiteracy, the Internet.
hillbillyboy

Jonesborough, TN

#99 Oct 4, 2012
Now, we come to a favorite subject of mine. Thank you.

And, BTW, I think you might enjoy this diversion too.

Old English was a West Germanic language in its early forms, and so it was also largely a phonetic language. That means that words were spelled pretty much like they sounded.

Spanish is like that today. Thats why spelling bees dont usually catch on too much in Spanish speaking countries, BTW.

Olde English made sense. It had sensible rules of progressions and usage, and it was over all a cleaner and more mathematical language. Its rules had math like precision. Most of the Asian languages today are still like this.

When we sound out the word "what", do we start with a "w" sound, or the "h" sound? Usually, its the "h" sound that is stressed.

Modern English spells it as "what". Old English uses "Hwaet". That is because the "h" sound actually comes first in pronunciation.

We dont say in conversation.."Wa-hat ". Our speech more closely follows with "ha-Wat".

So, Old English is usually more phonetically correct.

So, because of globalization and simple phonetic compatibility, the future of the English language probably resembles its past much more than its present.

But modern English is a garbled up, cobbled up mess. It has no mathematical rules of progression, like just about all the other languages do. 2000 years of war and invasion have taken English from a sensible language (Old English) into a jigsaw puzzle of contradictory rules and spelling overlaps, etc etc. Its a mess.

But English is becoming the global standard. Billions of people are going from a sensible language, to learning English, and this is resulting in some confusion, especially since we have 21st century communications that govern business transactions, etc. Were it not for computer translation services, we couldnnt function on a global scale. Even still,many mistakes and errors result in the messy English of today being used.

Something must be done.

"Hooked on Phonics" is a learning program that teaches young kids to read, and it works. But no sooner do the kids start getting the hang of it, than the schools have to go back in and teach the "correct" spelling, which dont make sense and is not phonetically correct.

To sum it up, English will have to go back to a phonetic base, and that means it will have to be "modernized" back about 1000 years to do so.

That means us Appalachian speakers will be ahead of the curve.

The stereotype of the future will be the ignorant people up North who will cling to the disorganized and messy modern English of today. The learning curve will favor the ones who use the sensible (and correct) English similar to what Appalachian speakers still use today.

That is the future of the English language. 21st century communications will demand it.
hillbillyboy

Jonesborough, TN

#100 Oct 4, 2012
Hey guys, I just found a cute little video that showcases what I was saying about modern English. Its quite amusing and I think you will like it...

The english language challenged by a 102 year old.- YouTube
&#9658; 1:55&#9658; 1:55

www.youtube.com/watch...

So, now you see what I am saying about the Old English phonetic qualities being superior to modern English?
Apple at cha

United States

#101 Oct 4, 2012
They just had the Baldridge group make a visit. Dennis will try to make the Golden List and then retire. Where it goes from there, who knows.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
whos the best lawyer in johnsoncity (Jul '13) 2 hr Repeatly 50
sexual dreams ? 5 hr good fun 3
Man assaulted at New Beginnings (Mar '11) 11 hr Corzon 37
gnc mall at johnson city 13 hr Truestorybro 3
hair salons/stylist in Jonesborough 14 hr All Sluts-Pill Heads 15
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 14 hr heather 408
Looking for a SugarDaddy (Sep '10) 16 hr Recon Marine 15
What has happened to Morgan King on Daytime Tri... Jan 18 Annie 34
Johnson City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:11AM
Which Panthers Free Agents Will Return in 2015?
NBC Sports 6:32 AM
Panthers G.M. on Cam Newton: "We want him here. I want him here"
NBC Sports 3:31 PM
Report: Sal Sunseri to leave Florida State for position with Oakland Raiders
ESPN 8:07 AM
Spygate, 'culture of cheating' vexes ex-GM
Yahoo! Sports10:47 AM
Former Panthers GM wonders if Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl