State, federal lawmakers debate updat...

State, federal lawmakers debate updating GI Bill

There are 12 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Apr 14, 2008, titled State, federal lawmakers debate updating GI Bill. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Matthew Gary is going places on the GI Bill - a sort of reward for two deployments to Iraq, where he earned a Purple Heart for surviving a roadside bomb explosion that left him badly bruised.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

NAVY VETERAN

Nashville, TN

#1 Apr 14, 2008
It's about time our state and federal govt. stepped up to take care of our brave men & women. It is a fight for my wife and I every year to get more financial aid, it is absolutely insane that our GI BILL count against us, we have lost more scholarship and financial aid money because of the system. The financial aid people at schools usually have no clue or understanding of GI BILL benefits and they treat you like you are in the wrong when trying to apply for more financial aid. The GI BILL does not cover all expenses especially when you have a family and have medical problems. I encourage all veterans to make their voice heard on this issue, the VA education benefits group has set up a group of veterans that meet every month to push for improved education benefits.

“Tullahoma--my new home”

Since: Oct 07

Knoxville, TN

#2 Apr 14, 2008
Do they mean update as in, make it better, or update as in, take away still more benefits?
da foot

Nashville, TN

#3 Apr 14, 2008
are these lifelong benefits or are is there a time limit just asking
NAVY VETERAN

Nashville, TN

#4 Apr 14, 2008
da foot wrote:
are these lifelong benefits or are is there a time limit just asking
No, The Gi Bill is limited you have to use it within a 10 year period. It may last only 3-4 years and you are paid only while attending school and you are paid depending on how many credit hours you take. sometimes it does not cover all expenses i.e. books, lab supplies
Retired LEO

Albania

#5 Apr 14, 2008
What a sad commentary for those who voluntarily step up to protect and serve their nation (you and me) to the point of possibly paying the ultimate price for their service. To see "Lawmakers" protect their Pork at the expense of bringing benefits in the GI Bill at least up to the level afforded the Volunteers in WWII. Let's not even get into the "Reservists vs. Regulars" arena....
Time

Murfreesboro, TN

#6 Apr 14, 2008
Retired LEO wrote:
What a sad commentary for those who voluntarily step up to protect and serve their nation (you and me) to the point of possibly paying the ultimate price for their service. To see "Lawmakers" protect their Pork at the expense of bringing benefits in the GI Bill at least up to the level afforded the Volunteers in WWII. Let's not even get into the "Reservists vs. Regulars" arena....
the veterans deserve everything they need or want. The government can never pay me enough for sending my husband to Vietnam to be murdered and they can never give his sons enough to make up growing up without their father. He missed out teaching them to play ball , going to their games, watching them graduate, walking them down the isle, when they were married and never got to see his grandchildren. No, Fort Knox doesn't have enough to begin. There are some things money can't replace. The ones who made it back from any war, deserve to be honored and receive a thank you check every month, much less help with college or any kind of trade training. Sorry, for sounding off, but I happened to be working near where he is buried today and was thinking about things he had written, like I can't imagine the baby cutting teeth, wish I was there to see him take his first steps, things like that, then I remembered how the Vietnam vets where treated when they did come home. Those peace nicks or what ever you want to call them pass me on the road going toward oak ridge many times and God forgive me, but sometimes i would love to run over them.
Time

Murfreesboro, TN

#7 Apr 14, 2008
the economy doen't look favorable, they said in the story. How favorable does going to war and maybe not coming back look?

Since: Feb 08

Nashville, TN

#8 Apr 14, 2008
I think it is incredible that this is so hard to get passed. I think any member of the military should be able to attend any public college or university absolutly free of charge, and they should still be able to get any financial assistance available to help support them while in school. The whole system is so messed up.
NAVY VET

Nashville, TN

#9 Apr 14, 2008
Time wrote:
the economy doen't look favorable, they said in the story. How favorable does going to war and maybe not coming back look?
I would like to Thank You personally for the sacrifice your husband made for our country it's because of veterans like him and others before him I felt a duty to serve my country proudly to give back to them, let "them" the fallen and other veterans know their sacrifice is appreciated and the torch of american freedom would be passed on.
NAVY VET

Nashville, TN

#10 Apr 14, 2008
Armed Citizen wrote:
I think it is incredible that this is so hard to get passed. I think any member of the military should be able to attend any public college or university absolutly free of charge, and they should still be able to get any financial assistance available to help support them while in school. The whole system is so messed up.
It is messed up,very messed up, I wish I could show the denial letters of scholarships or record conversations of financial aid folks at colleges. My wife and I get every year because the fed education system counts GI BILL against us, some of the scholarships denied were for having a high gpa.its like being slapped you ask why am I trying and doing so well but being punished. Oh well we might lose the battle but not the war when all is said and done.
ralphie

Johnson City, TN

#11 Apr 14, 2008
theyll screw you - just watch.
Time

Murfreesboro, TN

#12 Apr 14, 2008
NAVY VET wrote:
<quoted text> I would like to Thank You personally for the sacrifice your husband made for our country it's because of veterans like him and others before him I felt a duty to serve my country proudly to give back to them, let "them" the fallen and other veterans know their sacrifice is appreciated and the torch of american freedom would be passed on.
Thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot. Thank you for your service to our country too, people like you mean a lot to me and my sons and I am sure everyone else appreciates you and all, who have and are and will continue to serve our country. Oue prayers are with you all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joelton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dolly Parton heartbroken by wildfires torching ... 1 hr Mama 7
Police officer Eric Richards (Apr '14) 1 hr Kkk 16
for r 6 hr Donewitu 2
STD status 7 hr AR1111Mom 1
Negroes and crime 7 hr NOne66EchoRomeo 1
Take a guess 8 hr Booooo 8
News Church of God of Prophecy rethinks position aga... (Aug '06) 8 hr caliegirl 813

Joelton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Joelton Mortgages