Informed Opinion

United States

#16652 Jun 27, 2013
Oh my wrote:
Who coulda imagined....

WED JUN 26, 2013 AT 01:30 PM PDT
Here's how Darrell Issa manufactured the IRS 'scandal'
by Jed Lewison

On Monday, we learned that the IRS didn't single out tea party groups after all. Instead, they were looking for political groups, including not just tea party groups, but progressive groups as well. They may have used a flawed method for flagging the groups, but the IRS's intent was clear: to identify political groups that were not legally entitled to receive the tax-exempt benefit they sought to receive.

That pretty much brought the IRS "scandal" to a screeching halt. In the hours following the revelation, Darrell Issa's Twitter feed suddenly started spamming tweets about Benghazi. "Change the subject, quickly!" he seemed to be saying.

But there's still a question to be answered. If the IRS was targeting political groups from across the ideological spectrum, where did the original narrative about tea party targeting come from? The answer makes Darrell Issa and his fellow House Republicans look even worse than they did on Monday:

The Treasury inspector general (IG) whose report helped drive the IRS targeting controversy says it limited its examination to conservative groups because of a request from House Republicans.

A spokesman for Russell George, Treasury’s inspector general for tax administration, said they were asked by House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.)“to narrowly focus on Tea Party organizations.”

Obviously, if Issa wanted a comprehensive investigation, he should have asked for a review of all politically oriented scrutiny. Instead, he asked for exclusive focus on tea party and conservative groups. Under the most charitable interpretation of this, it never occurred to Darrell Issa that anyone other than the tea party groups could have been targeted. If that's true, it suggests he just doesn't care about whether the IRS "targets" anyone other than his political allies.

But I think the most likely explanation here is that Issa was simply trying to cook up a scandal, even though it did nothing to address the genuine problems with the way campaign finance and tax laws are written. He probably figured that in the best case scenario, he'd be able to get away with his fraud. And in the worst case scenario, he'd get a slap on the wrist from a few reporters, but endless approval from his political supporters....
Issa - an amoral opportunist ?

Stop... please stop ... can the shock and pain of it ever go away ?

Wait .... Is there anyone who actually takes Issa seriously anyway ?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#16653 Jun 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Issa - an amoral opportunist ?
Stop... please stop ... can the shock and pain of it ever go away ?
Wait .... Is there anyone who actually takes Issa seriously anyway ?
Apparently you haven't been paying attention. Gen Lee already posted an article refuting Oh my's little article.(Post 16644). The IG is standing by his report that Tea Party groups were targeted far more aggressively and harshly than any liberal groups.
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#16654 Jun 27, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
TRULY laughing out loud. Ann Coulter would have you needing a diaper change within 5 seconds of encountering her.
I might let her wipe my azz with her stringy blonde hair as long as she shampoos good
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

#16656 Jun 27, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently you haven't been paying attention. Gen Lee already posted an article refuting Oh my's little article.(Post 16644). The IG is standing by his report that Tea Party groups were targeted far more aggressively and harshly than any liberal groups.
Nope

Paying attention.

Seems that we can all locate data demonstrating that someone agrees with our position.

The fact that Issa has a history of being a Right Wing Wacko scheming amoral corporate tool, bought by war profiteers years ago, who refuses to release entire transcripts, says it all for me.

More importantly, Right Wingers fixated on their newest shiny object and ignoring the actual destruction of our Constitution by Bush and Obama, bore me.

Nobody cares about the IRS "investigation" any more than anyone cared whether Clinton hit laid - it's just a shiny distraction from actual issues.

Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

#16657 Jun 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>Nope

Paying attention.

Seems that we can all locate data demonstrating that someone agrees with our position.

The fact that Issa has a history of being a Right Wing Wacko scheming amoral corporate tool, bought by war profiteers years ago, who refuses to release entire transcripts, says it all for me.

More importantly, Right Wingers fixated on their newest shiny object and ignoring the actual destruction of our Constitution by Bush and Obama, bore me.

Nobody cares about the IRS "investigation" any more than anyone cared whether Clinton hit laid - it's just a shiny distraction from actual issues.
Nudge us when the House's investigation into how we were lied into the Iraq War that costs 5,000 American Troops their lives, and a $6 Trillion Dollar debt and we'll be interested.

Oh wait ....

Sorry, I forgot.. 2001 to 2009 never occurred in Right Wing World.
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#16658 Jun 27, 2013
OMTE wrote:
<quoted text>I try not to worry about things that are useless to worry about. Obamacare is the law of the land. I watched a broadcast on MSNBC where they interviewed an actual cancer patient. He was a writer or something like that and was uninsured when he was diagnosed with some sort of cancer. To make a long story short, he couldn't get insurance after he was diagnosed. Obamacare will alow him to get insurance that he needs to get the treatments that he needs even after he's diagnosed. I think it was on that Ed guy's show. If the guy can't get insurance and has to get medacaid doesn't the taxpayers have to pickup the tab anyway? I don't believe in that deathpanel BS. Get a grip girl.
Is'nt it nice your fellow man can live a little longer? How bout those deadbeat tax-free charities that spend billions of our tax dollars buying expensive real estate and big salaries for top execs and hade thier un taxed money in the Cayman islands?
columbus native

Edmond, OK

#16659 Jun 27, 2013
OMTE wrote:
<quoted text>That woman would make you cry dude.
Cry over her ignorance,self righthoueness, and cry over the fools who think she would be a good president. I don't know who in the hell your talking about someone from Kentucky? I don't mince words about romney or republicans that's dancing with the DEVIL!
danger zone

Conyers, GA

#16660 Jun 27, 2013
We know who's to blame... Hillary. I certainly hope she's subpoenaed. Obama can globetrot, golf, FUNraise, make congratulatory phone calls to gays (good grief, dont forget the basketball player, too), Benghazi ISN'T going away... Your fearless leader needs to step up to the podium, without the friggin teleprompter & answer some questions. He's a proven WEAK leader, not only nationally, but globally... Come on libs, Bill Clinton even called him a WUSS. How embarassing!!!

http://twitchy.com/2013/06/25/boom-darrell-is...
OMTE

Ford City, PA

#16661 Jun 27, 2013
columbus native wrote:
<quoted text>Is'nt it nice your fellow man can live a little longer? How bout those deadbeat tax-free charities that spend billions of our tax dollars buying expensive real estate and big salaries for top execs and hade thier un taxed money in the Cayman islands?
If this garbage they call immigration reform passes Obamacare will be shortlived. All the money that got in the world will not do them one bit of good if the economy collapses again. Their money they have stashed away will be worthless. Where's all the conservatives at that are usually complaining about SPENDING. This is a huge waste of money. Money that we could be spent on taking care of our own needy. I guess a votes, cheap labor, and defense contracts means more to the Democrats and Republicans than the American Citizens do. Now they're actin like queer rights are a big deal and all they're doin is tryin to take the spotlight off of immigration.

Location hidden

#16662 Jun 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
Paying attention.
Except that the "someone agreeing with our position" is the Inspector General who led the study - I would say that Mr George has a whole lot more credibility than just another Daily Kos contributer.

And you just keep living in your little leftie dreamworld that believes that nobody cares about a bureaucratic Goliath harassing and intimidating American citizens who are doing nothing more than exercising their 1st Amendment rights.
danger zone

Conyers, GA

#16663 Jun 27, 2013
Hold on til Holder's gone... It's coming.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/07/ma...
OMTE

Ford City, PA

#16664 Jun 27, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that the "someone agreeing with our position" is the Inspector General who led the study - I would say that Mr George has a whole lot more credibility than just another Daily Kos contributer.
And you just keep living in your little leftie dreamworld that believes that nobody cares about a bureaucratic Goliath harassing and intimidating American citizens who are doing nothing more than exercising their 1st Amendment rights.
Are you cryin? LoL.
danger zone

Conyers, GA

#16665 Jun 27, 2013
While Obama focuses on climate change.

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/a/#p/...

Location hidden

#16666 Jun 27, 2013
OMTE wrote:
<quoted text>Are you cryin? LoL.
For this country.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#16667 Jun 27, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
The IRS auditor told Congress this week that it stands by its determination that conservative groups were uniquely singled out for special scrutiny by the tax agency, rebutting Democrats contention that liberal groups also were targeted.
Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter
But wait, from the last paragraph...

"Rep. Sander M. Levin of Michigan, ranking Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee, said Mr. Georges latest statement contradicts the auditors earlier findings."

Don't touch that dial...
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#16668 Jun 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
Now we know that you're wrong.
You're post would imply that 2007 actually occurred, when we all know that on Right Wing Wacko Planet there is no such thing as history.
Since 2007 never occurred, Gonzales' crimes and refusal to testify honestly about turning the Attorney General's office into a political machine, cannot be considered.
Glad I could help you understand.
At least he didn't plead the Fifth,
that would've PROVEN his guilt.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#16669 Jun 27, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
You are such a joke...

"more credibility than just another Daily Kos contributer"
Let's see, here's the link to the original article:

WED JUN 26, 2013 AT 11:58 AM PDT
Here's how Darrell Issa manufactured the IRS 'scandal'
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/26/1219...

At this article we will find this information:

The Treasury inspector general (IG) whose report helped drive the IRS targeting controversy says it limited its examination to conservative groups because of a request from House Republicans.
A spokesman for Russell George, Treasurys inspector general for tax administration, said they were asked by House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.)to narrowly focus on Tea Party organizations.

The source of which is clearly referenced as:

IG: Audit of IRS actions limited to Tea Party groups at GOP request
By Bernie Becker - 06/25/13 08:11 PM ET
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domesti...

Which is not "just another Daily Kos contributer"

So, we've got Issa releasing partial transcripts (chery picking), and we've got Issa requesting a narrowly focused investigation (more cherry picking).

And I've got to wonder if you even read the Washington Times article because the last paragraph calls the IGs latest comments into question.

Frankly, all of these groups should receive intense scrutiny cause they're seeking this status in order to shield the identity of their donors. They should be asked to produce what materials they make available, what speeches they made, document their activities in detail, and the 100 other piddling questions.
danger zone

Conyers, GA

#16670 Jun 27, 2013
A few sentences from a letter to Sec. US State Dept, John Kerry, from Daryl Issa. Just two days ago...

I respect the witness's interest in preparing to answer the committee's questions; however, I am concerned that waiting weeks or months while the Dept. prepares witnesses to be interviewed risks that their testimony will have been rehearsed or coached. It does not require weeks of preparation to answer truthfully.

Benghazi isn't going away... DON'T touch that dial.
OMTE

Millbrook, AL

#16671 Jun 27, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
For this country.
Me too.:'(

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#16672 Jun 27, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
You are such a joke...
I'm wondering if anyone else sees the irony of this post, from this poster, calling Aggie a "joke".

Typical of the clueless and uneducated.

Maybe that will be a 3 pointer...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jesup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
celeste 8 hr Friend 4
The Billy Crowder Case (Mar '12) Oct 18 joey88 91
Jesup man accused of robbing, murdering woman a... Oct 2 pjot 1
Jesup man again found guilty of murdering mothe... Oct 2 pjot 1
local business Sep 27 a jesup customer 1
Larry Jenkins getting a retrial? Sep 24 Total Recall 1
arrested in ludowici Sep '14 Anonymous 4
Jesup Dating
Find my Match

Jesup Jobs