jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2323 Jan 19, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to be rude, but read the books. They are worth the time.
that's not rude,give titles and authors,please.
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#2324 Jan 19, 2013

“Marble Man”

Since: Jul 11

Destin, FL

#2325 Jan 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>that's not rude,give titles and authors,please.
The Fair Tax Book - Neil Boortz and John Linder

Fair Tax: The truth: Answering The Critics - Boortz and Linder.
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2327 Jan 19, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
The Fair Tax Book - Neil Boortz and John Linder
Fair Tax: The truth: Answering The Critics - Boortz and Linder.
thanks
Informed Opinion

Hollywood, FL

#2328 Jan 19, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO, you sure have something against people that make a lot of money, don't you? How many people make $300M or even $20M a year? If you take ALL of their income (100% income tax), it doesn't put much of a dent in the deficit this country has.

You are correct on one thing though, their income is not taxed under the FairTax, only their spending.

Let me give another example of why it's a better idea (there are MANY more, read the book): someone is fairly wealthy, retired and most or all of their investments are in tax free muni bonds or similar, so they have NO taxable income and NO federal income tax. Yet, they still spend a good bit of money. Under the current system, they pay no federal income tax. Under the FairTax, they'd pay a good bit because they continue to spend.

A friend of mine on Topix knows someone in that situation...
Nope.
I love rich people.
I love corporations.
Both provide me a very reasonable income providing them consultations and advice related to very specific issues.
Both are as diverse as all others less affluent than they.

What is interesting is, rather than demonstrating an error in the analysis leading to the conclusion you dislike, you feel the the need to create a "Strawman" to attack.

It is instructive when someone suggests that all Americans pay the same tax rate, on all sources of income,
an obviously fair, simple, and reasonable method of raising revenue,
the response is to attack the proponent of "hatred" and "envy".

A more blatant concession that no legitimate argument exists is difficult to imagine.

Perhaps some facts and analysis would lend more credibility than specious attacks.

Ah,... but that's the point. No such facts or analysis is available.

Hey, gotta run,.. meeting today for lunch at a beach front hotel with some of those rich people I hate so much. They'll be interested to learn of your discovery of my heretofore hidden animosity.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2329 Jan 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>thanks
I've made this offer many times and haven't had to pay off yet. However, some people I loaned them my copy and said I would be them the finest dinner in town (their choice of restaurant) if they thought it was not a good idea. No, they didn't have to have dinner with me...

IF you buy the books, read them AND understand them and you're not for it or think it's a good idea, I will pay for the books (if you send them to me), so this educational opportunity is "no risk". I will add the books to my "share with others" pile.

Note: I will ask you several questions to make sure you understand the concepts and the rationale.

I have yet to meet someone that understood the concepts that didn't think it was a good idea. Granted, our elected officials won't go for it, as it takes MAJOR power (taxing authority) out of their hands and there would be some challenges in getting it implemented (interstate commerce and such, I'm told), but it would really benefit this country and is FAIR. Those that say the rich don't pay their "fair share" can't complain about loopholes and tax breaks, as there would be no income taxes. Oh yeah, all those people that get paid cash (illegal immigrants, people getting paid "under the table) would be paying their fair share, too...

Location hidden

#2330 Jan 19, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
I love rich people.
I love corporations.
Both provide me a very reasonable income providing them consultations and advice related to very specific issues.
Both are as diverse as all others less affluent than they.
What is interesting is, rather than demonstrating an error in the analysis leading to the conclusion you dislike, you feel the the need to create a "Strawman" to attack.
It is instructive when someone suggests that all Americans pay the same tax rate, on all sources of income,
an obviously fair, simple, and reasonable method of raising revenue,
the response is to attack the proponent of "hatred" and "envy".
A more blatant concession that no legitimate argument exists is difficult to imagine.
Perhaps some facts and analysis would lend more credibility than specious attacks.
Ah,... but that's the point. No such facts or analysis is available.
Hey, gotta run,.. meeting today for lunch at a beach front hotel with some of those rich people I hate so much. They'll be interested to learn of your discovery of my heretofore hidden animosity.
Sorry, I'm not able to understand what you posted, it's not clear.

What is clear is you have a serious case of wealth envy and don't understand our tax system and how it works.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2331 Jan 19, 2013
deal with it wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea sure, Obama gave to Ok to make the kill. Your hero poser Bush passed at the very beginning of the war, thats a fact. Deal with it
Your other hero, Clinton, passed on the kill. Could have saved us some grief. YOU deal with it. Actually, YOUR hero poser, Obama, was pressured into giving the OK. Deal with it! Sheesh..
Columbus Native

Oklahoma City, OK

#2332 Jan 19, 2013
deal with it wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea sure, Obama gave to Ok to make the kill. Your hero poser Bush passed at the very beginning of the war, thats a fact. Deal with it
After President Cheney and Vice president Bush got their con job done by getting us into Iraq, they could care less about Bin Laden. These two made off with millions and Haliburton was their catalyst. They F's the American public and are now laughing all the way to their offshore bank accounts.

Location hidden

#2333 Jan 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>again,i really don't,but looking towards the future-i do kinda like susan eisenhower,but she is not ready for this mess yet.it is too bad that we don't have roosevelt,teddy or franklin(as you know,one was a rep.the other a dem.)but i do believe we should all be open to suggestions since the situation is definitely dire.party affifilation not withstanding.
I read her wikipedia profile. There are a few things about her that are concerning to me.
I am still thinking about whom I would choose.
Informed Opinion

Hollywood, FL

#2334 Jan 19, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I'm not able to understand what you posted, it's not clear.

What is clear is you have a serious case of wealth envy and don't understand our tax system and how it works.
Thanks.

I will seek counseling to discover my inner self and that envy that is obvious to you, but so unapparent to my friends, employees, and clients.

Meanwhile, please consider the evaluation of why a VAT is bad for the poor and working class Americans from a well known and respected author on economics, a portion of which is provided below:

What Is Your Opinion About A Value Added Tax?

by Mark Riddix

A VAT could disproportionally affect the poor. Since the tax will be the same for the rich and the poor; the tax will be a higher percentage of an impoverished person’s income.
Why are the poor disproportionately hurt? A VAT disproportionately hurts the poor because the tax would eat into their already limited income. For example, let’s say you have 2 different people (Tim and Robert) living in Texas both having to pay a value added tax. Let’s assume that the VAT is 5% on all purchases in Texas. Tim makes $50,000 per year and spends $6,000 annually on purchases such as food and clothing. Tim pays $300 per year in value added taxes ($6,000 x 5%=$300). Robert also lives in Texas but he only makes $20,000 per year. He spends $6,000 on purchases as well. He will pay the same $300 VAT as Tim. But are they really paying the same thing? The VAT is only 0.6% of Tim’s income whereas it is 1.5% of Robert’s income. Even though they are both paying the same amount of money, the VAT is a larger percentage of Robert’s money. VAT’s represent a much larger chunk of lower income individual’s money than other individuals.
Senior citizens and people that live on fixed incomes would also be adversely affected. Another negative is that a value added tax discourages consumption. The US economy is built on consumption and any decline in spending will hurt businesses and its employees.

Oh wait... Mr. Riddix must hate rich people too.

Location hidden

#2335 Jan 19, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>
We've had FairTax discussions in here before...
No, it's quite obvious they haven't read the books and it's more obvious they don't understand how the proposed FairTax would work (you don't have to read the books to understand). Not surprised, are you? Goes right along with "clueless and uneducated" sentiment perfectly. People that don't know what they're talking about espousing the liberal party lines...
For those clueless and uneducated, research the "prebate" portion of the FairTax proposal. For those at the poverty line, they would, essentially, pay NO FairTax, so someone saying it would impact them more so than someone else is quite wrong.
All these people that bitch about companies and individuals having money in overseas banks don't understand that the majority of the time it's for tax reasons, tax reasons that would not exist if the FairTax were enacted.
I admire your tenacity. Don't give up(although the libs will NEVER admit it's a good thing for ALL). Don't know why they can't understand that. Indoctrination, I guess.

Location hidden

#2336 Jan 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>thanks
jeb, read those books. They will at least give you food for thought.:)
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2337 Jan 19, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>
I've made this offer many times and haven't had to pay off yet. However, some people I loaned them my copy and said I would be them the finest dinner in town (their choice of restaurant) if they thought it was not a good idea. No, they didn't have to have dinner with me...
IF you buy the books, read them AND understand them and you're not for it or think it's a good idea, I will pay for the books (if you send them to me), so this educational opportunity is "no risk". I will add the books to my "share with others" pile.
Note: I will ask you several questions to make sure you understand the concepts and the rationale.
I have yet to meet someone that understood the concepts that didn't think it was a good idea. Granted, our elected officials won't go for it, as it takes MAJOR power (taxing authority) out of their hands and there would be some challenges in getting it implemented (interstate commerce and such, I'm told), but it would really benefit this country and is FAIR. Those that say the rich don't pay their "fair share" can't complain about loopholes and tax breaks, as there would be no income taxes. Oh yeah, all those people that get paid cash (illegal immigrants, people getting paid "under the table) would be paying their fair share, too...
you did mean"buy them dinner",right?
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2338 Jan 19, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
you got me;).
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2339 Jan 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>you did mean"buy them dinner",right?
and i was just recently bragging on your spelling,etc.!
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2340 Jan 19, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>
i may have a few questions for you too,fair enough?

Location hidden

#2341 Jan 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>you did mean"buy them dinner",right?
Yep.:)
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2342 Jan 19, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
hey,that was funny,but you know that you gave yourself away,too:)

Location hidden

#2343 Jan 19, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I will seek counseling to discover my inner self and that envy that is obvious to you, but so unapparent to my friends, employees, and clients.
Meanwhile, please consider the evaluation of why a VAT is bad for the poor and working class Americans from a well known and respected author on economics, a portion of which is provided below:
What Is Your Opinion About A Value Added Tax?
by Mark Riddix
A VAT could disproportionally affect the poor. Since the tax will be the same for the rich and the poor; the tax will be a higher percentage of an impoverished person’s income.
Why are the poor disproportionately hurt? A VAT disproportionately hurts the poor because the tax would eat into their already limited income. For example, let’s say you have 2 different people (Tim and Robert) living in Texas both having to pay a value added tax. Let’s assume that the VAT is 5% on all purchases in Texas. Tim makes $50,000 per year and spends $6,000 annually on purchases such as food and clothing. Tim pays $300 per year in value added taxes ($6,000 x 5%=$300). Robert also lives in Texas but he only makes $20,000 per year. He spends $6,000 on purchases as well. He will pay the same $300 VAT as Tim. But are they really paying the same thing? The VAT is only 0.6% of Tim’s income whereas it is 1.5% of Robert’s income. Even though they are both paying the same amount of money, the VAT is a larger percentage of Robert’s money. VAT’s represent a much larger chunk of lower income individual’s money than other individuals.
Senior citizens and people that live on fixed incomes would also be adversely affected. Another negative is that a value added tax discourages consumption. The US economy is built on consumption and any decline in spending will hurt businesses and its employees.
Oh wait... Mr. Riddix must hate rich people too.
Please learn something from these conversations, I likely won't be responding any more.

The FairTax is not a VAT. BTW, do you know what the prebate is and why it would eliminate the FairTax for ALL up to the poverty level?

BTW, how was lunch? I just had a great workout and am about to enjoy mine...:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jesup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Sat brasstown 2,054
arrested in ludowici Sep 6 Anonymous 4
Muslim Compound near Odum? (May '07) Sep 5 Redneck 67
Community Yard Sale Ludowici Bank Sep 5 MaryP 1
Huge Yard Sale Sep 5 MaryP 1
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Sep 5 faisha 186
Anyone want a free dog? (Jan '12) Aug 30 Hailey rami 4
•••
•••
Jesup Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Jesup Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••