Prison staff records sought to defend inmate in officer's death

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Defense lawyers for an inmate accused in the stabbing death of a correctional officer at a Jessup prison argued in court today that they should be given personnel and disciplinary records of fellow officers.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Mar 6, 2008
mumbakiss

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

That story makes me cringe, Im a corrections nurse. I guess all the stuff we dont want to believe is true-- our coworkers would kill us for a buck. Nice.
black ceaser

Halethorpe, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

I HOPE THAT THE PUBLIC CAN SEE THAT THESE INDIVIDUALS ARE LYING AND ARE DECEITFUL. THEY HAVE ALL DAY TO THINKOF NEW WAYS TO GET OVER THE SYSTEM. THE DEFENSE IS GOING TO USE ANY TACTIC POSSIBLE TO DOWN PLAY THE LIFE AND CAREER OF OFFICER MCGUINN. HE SERVED UNDER ME AND HE WAS A GREAT OFFICER . ALSO THE ONES THAT WERE PREVIOUSLY IMPLICATED. CORRECTIONAL OFFICER HAVE A HARD JOB THAT NO ONE LIKES TO DO. FOCUS ON THE DEATH AND MURDER OF THE OFFICER AND NOT THE CORRUPTION. THERE IS CORRUPTION IN ALL FORMS OF GOVERNMENT, MILITARY, COURTS AND THE LIST GO ON. ATTORNEY LAUGH IN JOKE MAKE DEALS NOT REALLY THINKING OF THE FAMILY OF THE VICTIM. WALK IN A CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS SHOES FOR ONE DAY WITHOUT THEM MAKING THE INSTITUTIONS PRETTY AND ON BEST BEHAVIOR FOR THESE SPECIAL TOURS BEFORE YOU CONDEM AN OFFICER. BRING JUSTICE TO A MAN THAT DEDICATED HIS LIFE AND CAREER FOR BETTERMENT OF HIS FELLOW CO-WORKERS
Gordon Brown

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

So you put 50 murderers on one tier and then are surprised when someone is murdered??? Mary Jo is a winner.

RE: "BRING JUSTICE TO A MAN THAT DEDICATED HIS LIFE AND CAREER FOR BETTERMENT OF HIS FELLOW CO-WORKERS." I thought they were supposed to be there for the betterment of the inmates.

I knew an inmate/pimp who made $30,000 a month renting female CO's to inmates. And that was profit after he paid the women. And he never got caught. What a world!
Inmate Slayer

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

Gordon Brown wrote:
So you put 50 murderers on one tier and then are surprised when someone is murdered??? Mary Jo is a winner.
RE: "BRING JUSTICE TO A MAN THAT DEDICATED HIS LIFE AND CAREER FOR BETTERMENT OF HIS FELLOW CO-WORKERS." I thought they were supposed to be there for the betterment of the inmates.
I knew an inmate/pimp who made $30,000 a month renting female CO's to inmates. And that was profit after he paid the women. And he never got caught. What a world!
Gordon Brown is obviously a former or current convict himself, officers are there for the protection of the public ,moron, thats job 1. The inmate/pimp probaly pimped your mother also thats why you know him so well, scumbags like you are why the prisons will never be able to close because you will always return to fill a cell.
KJOHNSON

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

When I was CORRECTIONS OFFICER, the job was to maintain the health and saftey of convicted criminals while protecting the public from the same,anyone who has worked max, super max, or even high med security know that from day one you get propositioned to do all kinds of favors,at first from people you may know from the streets, then inmates that think you're weak,minded or strapped for money.its not hard to tell the ones who are , they work everyday, holiday, they never go home, hungry for money, so its that easy to pimp a CO, once your integrity, is compromised its over !
DaJellyBelly

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

I worked for the DOC for 23 years. I can tell you that KJohnson hit the nail on the head. Inmates will always be out there testing officers to find the weak ones. Once you cave in, they will hold it over your head and tell you that they will rat you out if you refuse subsequent demands. No matter how nice they seem, it is often merely a ruse to pursue their own agenda. I might add that the hiring criteria has lowered dramatically since I first was hired back in 1980! I believe that this has been detrimental overall to the prison system.
Joe From Baltimore

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

Why is the Sun doing a article on office Kenneth longerbeam. He was a DC cop who lived in baltimore county and used his position to molest little boys while on Duty. He has plead quilty and is awaiting sentencing , but the Sun fails to tell the community what is going on. come on guys let us know.
Karl

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

The guards are not much better than the trash they watch. How else do you think all the contraband gets in the prison? They either bring it in themselves or allow visitors to bring it in. I'm not surprised they also got involved with murder.
schlomo

Columbia, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

Did you see the interview with the union official? The guy stated emphatically no corruption existed in the ranks. Sounds to me like the corruption goes all the way up to the union. Not surprising when you consider the illustrious past of union corruption in our country.
Frank

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

This is what happens when you give "rent-a-cops" this type of power.
Geeman

Brooklyn, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

I just hope that everything that can be done - will be done to ensure that IF there was corruption that lead to the death of OFFICER MCGUINN, that those individuals responsible are brought to justice for their past activities and that this OFFICER'S life for his job was not the norm for a system that has very good and loyal people who come to work in a dangerous environment each and everyday. As a ex-officer and warden I know that the garden has to be weeded.

This will not be an easy case for all involved.
Dave

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

Don't categorize all Correction Officers as bad because you have a few bad ones. That is in any profession, including the priest hood. 90% of these men and women go to work everyday and put their life in danger to do a job most of the posters wouldn't consider doing. Weed out the corrupt ones and prosecute them, but don't past judgement on the good ones. To the honest Correctional Officers, thank you for your courage and honesty.
Southeast Soldier

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

If you relax, you might get taxed.
Legal Eagle

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

“You must have a high school diploma or GED and be at least 21 years of age to work at any Division of Correction Facility. Applicants are allowed to work at Patuxent Institution and Division of Pretrial Detention and Services at age 18.”

According to DPSCS Recruitment bulletin, the above quote is the minimum qualifications to become a correctional officer in Maryland. Can you imagine your 18-year-old son or daughter working in a detention center, trying to control seasoned criminals such as murderers, rapists and pedophiles? Good greif!
SCMD

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

To Legal Eagle -- Yes as a matter of fact I can. If we have 18 year old sons fighting on the front lines in Iraq -- the prison system should be a piece of cake. We are suppose to have much more "control" in that system.
I, unfortunately, have a son in prison. I have been to every prison in the state of Maryland. I have watched as CO's reporting to work or coming back from lunch have walked in and around the security check with pizza boxes and drinks in hand going unchecked. I, on the other hand must go through a series of checks and medal detectors before I may enter -- everything but take off my clothes. It is beyond me how any one could think that I could visit and smuggle in a cell phone or weapon. Corrupt CO's - you bet. There are many in there -- notice I said many -- not all and they aren't the 18 year olds.
taz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

schlomo wrote:
Did you see the interview with the union official? The guy stated emphatically no corruption existed in the ranks. Sounds to me like the corruption goes all the way up to the union. Not surprising when you consider the illustrious past of union corruption in our country.
the union only shows up when its t.v. time.they do not help those guys.The house was as bad as the penn was
taz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

the house of correction has been full of dirty officer for years.if you want to do something for the good officer in place ,put the names out there so they can know who the dirty one are ,that came from the house of corections.those officer have the right to now for there own safety .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jessup Discussions

Search the Jessup Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Pregnant Walmart Worker Ends Up Fired After Wal... Aug 10 T M Powell 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jul 30 Tim the Bagger 7
Follow me on Instagram (Jun '13) Jul 30 Lisamaree11 5
Fort Meade Thrift Store???? (Sep '13) Jul 29 Anonymous 3
Bloods member in Howard receives 16-year sentence Jul 29 Anonymous 1
MP command sergeant major suspended after DUI a... Jul '14 Proudly serving 1
Violent prison shuts down (Mar '07) Jun '14 cat 3
•••
•••
•••
Jessup Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••