Guard's death called a 'hit' for corrupt officers

Full story: Baltimore Sun 23
A witness told state police investigating the stabbing death of a corrections officer at a Jessup prison that corrupt guards involved in contraband smuggling "ordered the hit" on Officer David McGuinn, ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
johnn

Washington, DC

#1 Feb 29, 2008
i believe just what the wtiness said,and if that is true the guards who are in on it should face the death plenty too...this is why prisons are a home away from home for inmates,if you have corrupt guards,then there is no prison just oppertunity
believer

Mount Airy, MD

#2 Feb 29, 2008
anyone who has spent anytime insode a prison as guard or inmate knows thatmany of the guards are corrupt.

in baltimore city jails there is no division. the guards are related to most of the inmates.
leavingmorgan

Capitol Heights, MD

#3 Feb 29, 2008
I wouldn't put it past them. They hire who they can, and then expect them to guard homeboys they grew up with? come on. Maryland needs to treat the correctional system like a true arm of law enforcement. that means a academy longer than six weeks, more detailed background checks, and treat correctional officers with respect, and raise the age for hire to 24 or older. A young mind is no match for prisoners who have been in jail for years, and who have mastered the art of the mind game!
Ashamed

Lititz, PA

#4 Feb 29, 2008
This is so sad, and beeing in this field myself the story is very much believable.Administraters never make changes until something drastic happens.Baltimore City Detention Center is just as or may be more corrupt than the house, but no one is doing anything about it. Everyone is not corrupt in Corrections, but alot are. The solution is in the screening process. If you hire anybody with has a clean record, pass the drug test, and complete high school you get a very low quality of people.The County Detention Center even has alie detector test.START SOMEWHERE!!!!! MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!!!!!!
Joe Mess East BMore

Brandywine, MD

#5 Feb 29, 2008
Just another reason to get the hell out of this state...Nevada here I come
Jason

Ellicott City, MD

#6 Feb 29, 2008
Crrections Officer have and always will be the lowliest scum just above the inmates themselves. No surpise here.
joe

AOL

#7 Feb 29, 2008
THERE ARE BAD CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS AS WELL AS THERE ARE BAD IN ANY OTHER FIELD. I THINK PERSONALLY THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE INMATES INVOLVED TO HIDE BEHIND ANOTHER EXCUSE OF WHY THEY'VE ADDED TO ALL THE OTHER BAD THINGS THEY HAVE DONE IN THEIR LIFE. KEEP THE FOCUS WHERE IT BELONG, ON THE VISCIOUS WAY THEY KILLED THIS OFFICER. PUNISH THE BLOODY HANDS!!
scar

Capitol Heights, MD

#8 Feb 29, 2008
Yes ,there are bad correctional officers but, there are bad employees in every career field in the U.S..The correctional officer is one of the toughest job because you are dealing with murderers and psychos and then you have to keep everyone happy(the murderers, psycho, and the public). I don't think the word of an inmate, who is facing the death penalty ,should hold so much credit against an officer.
Charlene

Capitol Heights, MD

#9 Feb 29, 2008
There are bad correctional officer but, for the most part you have good people trying to make a living in a environment with people who are very manipulative and have nothing to do day in and day out but, find a way to pray on officers they find to be needy and weak. It takes a strong person to work in a place with people like that and not all of us can do it as you have heard. All correctional offficer should not have to suffer for the bad ones because in life, in general you have bad people. Those that get caught up in situations like the one discussed are not really officers and should be dealt with the same as you would deal with the inmates. If in fact, you can actually believe what these inmates, that can't be trusted from the beginning is saying than they should get the death penalty along with the inmates. This should not be a reason to lower the inmates sentence they should still get the death penalty. The state should do a better investigation when hiring for correctional officers to make the standards higher. As the saying says you are as good as your leader, so look at the top and start to look down and that is what you get.
Chris

Martinsburg, WV

#10 Feb 29, 2008
This is so sad
killimore

Clinton, MD

#12 Mar 1, 2008
No surprise here. Like most police, there's a few decent ones and a bunch of corrupt ones.
Non-Believer

Baltimore, MD

#13 Mar 1, 2008
I think this should be seen as it is a way for the inmate to avoid the death penalty. If I were an inmate looking at the death penalty I would say whatever I had to,to save my life too. What better way thatn to act as if this thing was bigger than yourself an say that an official had something to do with it. All of those officers that were named probably were disliked by that inmate and he would not mind them getting in trouble behind his dirt and further more he needs the attention taken off of him to save his life. I mean he is an inmate people and have 24hrs. a day to think of criminal thoughts.
A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

AOL

#14 Mar 3, 2008
I WOULD LIKE TO SAY AS A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER FOR 6YRS, WE ARE NOT ALL CORRUPT. I HATE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE SOME WHO ARE AND WE ALL GET THE BLAME FOR THEM. I AND MY FELLOW CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS THAT GO TO WORK TO DO THE JOB THAT SO MANY THAT ARE WRITTING THESE COMMENTS WONT AND CAN'T DO SHOULD BE TREATED WITH THE UPMOST RESPECT. I WOULD LIKE FOR ALL TAX PAYING CITIZENS TO GO OUT AND VOTE AND MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD. EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T WORK THERE THE THINGS THAT EFFECT US THERE EFFECT YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES ALSO. SO DON'T BE QUIT TO LABEL US ALL CORRUPT AND HELP US GET THE ATTENTION OF THE LAW MAKERS THAT WE ELECT TO HELP PROTECT ALL OF US. WE NEED TO CLEAN UP THE STATE'S CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION FOR ALL OF OUR SAKE.
Tristan

Baltimore, MD

#15 Mar 5, 2008
I only have one question about what was written in this article. How in the world is there a "notoriously dangerous" area IN A PRISON?! Are you kidding me?! It's a prison - bars, shackles, surveillance cameras. This is ludicrous. It is a shame to see someone who was doing it "right" killed for doing so. Our tax money is going to make his heirs very wealthy because this has lawsuit written all over it!
Tristan

Baltimore, MD

#16 Mar 5, 2008
Joe Mess East BMore wrote:
Just another reason to get the hell out of this state...Nevada here I come
As if higher taxes, no services, bad attitudes from government workers, and corrupt government officials weren't enough?!

I am with you - I have 8 months before we tie up some loose ends and FL here we come.
larry g

Ellicott City, MD

#17 Mar 5, 2008
the people that run corrections know
you can buy anything in prison and either they are involved or they don't care
African American Woman

Fallston, MD

#18 Mar 5, 2008
I have a few friends, male and female who work as Correctional Officers and they all say in most cases you can trust a Prisoner before a Correctional Officer; you know where the Prisoner stands itís the Officers you canít be sure of.
Moonshine-Baltim ore

Chesterfield, MO

#19 Mar 5, 2008
I'm not surprised with the officers bringing contraband into the facility. I was married to one for 13yrs and he was addicted to crack cocaine and was always late for work and coming home at strange hours. He could have been bringing contraband without my knowledge. Most of the corrections officers have their own clicks and multiple sex partners that are correction officers. What makes you think they are going to be dedicated to their job?
Christopher

District Heights, MD

#20 Mar 5, 2008
And people say that our officers are 'just good people doing a harsh job'..... yeah, right.

Most of our officers, I hate to say this, are out to press their authority on other people and make people do what they want them to do.
That's coming from someone who wanted to be a cop up until the age of 15 when he was hassled by a cop for no reason while playing with some kids in the park near where he lived and lives today.
Some cops, like my one friend, are good people.... however they are unfortunately in the minority, especially at the upper levels of the police department.
JFS

Baltimore, MD

#21 Mar 5, 2008
Jason wrote:
Crrections Officer have and always will be the lowliest scum just above the inmates themselves. No surpise here.
As the father of a corrections officer I wholeheartedly reject your comment as idiotic and uninformed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jessup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Follow me on Instagram (Jun '13) 5 hr kane 6
Fort Meade Thrift Store???? (Sep '13) Sep 13 monlukk 5
Pregnant Walmart Worker Ends Up Fired After Wal... Sep 10 Frank Reynolds 2
Brekford Launches Body-Worn Evidence Video System Sep 5 Cephas01 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Tim the Bagger 7
Bloods member in Howard receives 16-year sentence Jul '14 Anonymous 1
Violent prison shuts down (Mar '07) Jun '14 cat 3
•••
•••
•••

Jessup Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Jessup People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••