A prison legacy

A prison legacy

There are 5 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Mar 6, 2008, titled A prison legacy. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

For those who had any doubts about the need to shut down the Maryland House of Correction last year, a hearing this week in an Anne Arundel County Circuit Court should convince them it was the right decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Richard Andrews

Easton, MD

#1 Mar 6, 2008
There have been published plans to close the old House of Correction (MHC) in Jessup for over 20 years. The problem was always where to move the inmates; every time a new facility was built, it quickly filled up with newly-sentenced criminals.
The coincidental completion of new inmate housing in Western Maryland at the time of the latest series of MHC outrages enabled its closure, which could not have happened sooner for lack of bed space.
jeb

United States

#2 Mar 6, 2008
having done 4 years in Attica in the 70's, and thereafter doing MD death penalty cases for 4 years after law school for the PD;s and assisting the criminal appeal of the 1987 ? Md Penetentiary Guard Toulson murder by the inmate actually "attempted murdered" by Toulson and other guards, nothing surprises me. Just as street cops are as bad as street criminals sometimes, guards can be as bad as the criminals they are watching. Virtually all contraband in Prison comes from guards:Weapons, drugs, money, booze. Payoffs include sex and money.
CS Miller

Odenton, MD

#3 Mar 6, 2008
I hope the investigation does not stop at Jessup. I worked 14 years in Pretrial and resigned because of the dirty correctional officers making it more unsafe to work an already unsafe place. People bring in booze, drugs, food, cigarettes, and weapons for their own personal. It goes higher that the officers. Someone needs to intervene and stop this blatant abuse of power and monetary gain. It is just horrible!Please save the good officers who do their job like officer McQuinn. God bless his soul!
Dave

Hyattsville, MD

#4 Mar 6, 2008
Jeb .... if you are a law school graduate, I would hate to have you defend me. Try mastering the English language and written communication skills before you try to sell a BS posting like the one you posted. Count the spelling errors, grammar and sentence structure. Sounds like you are proud of the 4 yr. Attica stretch. Now, really wasn't it like the B.C. jail or Brockbridge Correctional facility.
Iowan

Cedar Rapids, IA

#6 Mar 10, 2008
Maryland Corrections is going to suffer just like every other agency headed by Gary Maynard. He refuse to listen to his staff, surrounds himself with slick spokespersons and paints a very rosey picture for the media and the public. He left the Iowa Department of Corrections in a shamble and they are still trying to recover.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jessup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Third teen arrested in fatal shooting in Laurel Nov 19 tony 1
Do you agree with the Department of Veterans Af... Nov 18 Concerned Citizen 2
News Confronting the KKK in rural Maryland: June 1971 (Jan '13) Sep '17 Indefensible Me 18
News Trump approves plan to create independent cyber... Aug '17 Mullahing It Over 1
Laurel, MD - what is it Really Like? (Jun '08) Aug '17 Workinman 123 116
Things laurel needs!! Aug '17 198deuce 1
News Maryland officer buys diapers for mother caught... Jul '17 Jaysus Sharia 3

Jessup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jessup Mortgages