Amy73

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2006

i'm considering buying a house in freeport and was hoping to get as much infomation about the town as possible. i have a 9 year-old son so good schools would be the biggest requirement for me. a friend of mine described it as an "up & coming neighborhood".......
jason

Little Falls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2006

Freeport and up and coming should never be used in the same sentence. The schools are a war zone. The town is full of gang activity, it's proximity to roosevelt and uniondale has allowed the undesirable element their to spill over to the other side of sunrise highway. I worked in the town for about two years, and now that I work closer to home I would never even want to drive through the village again, let alone live there
Joelle

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2006

jason wrote:
Freeport and up and coming should never be used in the same sentence. The schools are a war zone. The town is full of gang activity, it's proximity to roosevelt and uniondale has allowed the undesirable element their to spill over to the other side of sunrise highway. I worked in the town for about two years, and now that I work closer to home I would never even want to drive through the village again, let alone live there
As a resident of Freeport, I somewhat disagree. I think every village has its issues. I love it here, Im near restaurants, boating, parks etc. The downtown area is slowly being revitalized. New businesses are moving in. The mayor is finally getting some of the roads improved. I believe it is an up and coming area.
Joelle from Freeport

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2006

Amy73 wrote:
i'm considering buying a house in freeport and was hoping to get as much infomation about the town as possible. i have a 9 year-old son so good schools would be the biggest requirement for me. a friend of mine described it as an "up & coming neighborhood".......
Hi Amy, I wouldnt put too much stock in the other reply. Do your research. Maybe come out to Freeport and see for yourself. I dont know what your looking for in a house. But the homes, in the south part of Freeport are great. Your near the water and the NAUTICAL MILE. There is a park up the street with a great playground for kids and a pool. There is a ice skating rink and a recreational center. Take care and good luck in your search.
pete from Freeport

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2006

Im a 18 year old from the town of freeport, you might wanna take that 2nd post a little more to heart. Their are a ton of things that i probably shouldnt have seen in my life and growing up in freeport is not one of the areas i woudl suggest to anyone trying to bring up a nine year old..
k gaffney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2006

I was born & raised in Freeport & from the time I was first there (1960s) until the time I left decades later, the Town was ALWAYS a dumping ground for the lily white character-less adjoining south shore communities (you know who you are in your identical synthetic sided ranch homes) Thanks to folks like Joe Mondello & his predecessors, Freeport is now teeming with every crime imaginable from gang violence to drug trafficing. I wouldn't raise a youngster there if you bought a house for me.
former freeport resident

Jackson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2006

I got out of Freeport BECAUSE I have kids. The area is horrible. Gangs, drugs, you name it.
Nice place for a SHORT visit for dinner , raise kids there ? You have to be out of your mind.
It's Trailer trash USA.
Mark

Harleysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2007

Judged:

My grand father (along with my dad as a helper) built many of the homes in Freeport. Back in those days,(1958) Freeport was a lovely community. My grandparents and aunt lived there until last year when my Aunt died.(154 Southside Ave - built by grandpa). I spent many a night at that beautiful house. But I was always worried for my aunt whose home was broken into twice. She is the only person in my entire family tree who had to have a burgler alarm installed.

One night about 2 years ago I heard a commotion at the 7-11. It was the police arresting a guy in a wheel chair who tried to rob the place. And on his way out, he was asking the cops "What the F did I do?" Their reply was "You robbed a 7-11, ahole!". This crap goes on daily.

So, no, its not a nice place to live any more. Geez, how long did it take them to finally transform Guy Lombardo Ave from a pot hole, speed bump infested nightmare into the decent paved road that it is today.

P.S. Grandpa also built 104 Wallace St.
A man

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Joelle wrote:
<quoted text>As a resident of Freeport, I somewhat disagree. I think every village has its issues. I love it here, Im near restaurants, boating, parks etc. The downtown area is slowly being revitalized. New businesses are moving in. The mayor is finally getting some of the roads improved. I believe it is an up and coming area.
u in da wite section
freeport resident

Pompton Plains, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

look in soem towns closer to farmingdale or massapequa.
The spanish gangs in freeport are notorious for crime. recruiting for the gangs begin in the middle school on upwards to the high school.
Raise your 9 year old in a different area. shotings, stabbings and crime are high in comparison to areas east or north of freeport.
do your own research, newsday.com and search for freeport.
the waterfront area is nice, but you cant go to the stores without being stared at or solicited for illegal contraband.
If you want to keep your child on the right track, buy in freeport, keep your kid only on your property and send him to private school.
otherwise, you've been warned
Freeporter since 1992

White Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2007

If you stay south of Atlantic Ave near the Nautical Mile, you are in good shape.
I bought a house here in '92 after growing up and living in Brooklyn for 25 years.
Yes, there are good and bad sections of Freeport but with the high price of houses on LI, I do not think you can find a better value than South Freeport. Where else on LI can you find a decent house for 350k and if you want to have a waterfront home find one for around 500k.
mike

Mahopac, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, i live in Freeport right now. I'm in North Freeport, right off Pennsylvania ave. It's a nice enough area, but 1 or 2 blocks to the east is the ghetto of freeport. And it's REALLY bad. My girlfriend works in the apartments there, and her car and office have been robbed multiple times. My car was broken into right in front of my house. There are alot of gangs and just general trash walking around.

However, south of Atlantic ave is indeed what the above poster called "da wite section". The white section as he so eloquently put it, is much nicer. MUCH nicer. My friend used to live there, and it was a great spot. No crime (none that I saw anyway) and there is the nautical mile and all sorts of other stuff. However that stretch is a VERY small area.

Not to mention if you're gonna be raising a kid here? That means he's most likely going to Freeport schools. That is going to be VERY bad. Freeport high is considered one of the worst schools in this immediate area (for violence, not for education). I lucked out, my mom had the foresight, when we were ready to goto school, to send us to Baldwin schools, SPECIFICALLY because of the violence and such going on in freeport. Now baldwin is becoming just as bad (they moved the roosevelt students in there).

Stay away from freeport honestly. It's not worth it.

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

mike wrote:
Yeah, i live in Freeport right now. I'm in North Freeport, right off Pennsylvania ave. It's a nice enough area, but 1 or 2 blocks to the east is the ghetto of freeport. And it's REALLY bad. My girlfriend works in the apartments there, and her car and office have been robbed multiple times. My car was broken into right in front of my house. There are alot of gangs and just general trash walking around.
However, south of Atlantic ave is indeed what the above poster called "da wite section". The white section as he so eloquently put it, is much nicer. MUCH nicer. My friend used to live there, and it was a great spot. No crime (none that I saw anyway) and there is the nautical mile and all sorts of other stuff. However that stretch is a VERY small area.
Not to mention if you're gonna be raising a kid here? That means he's most likely going to Freeport schools. That is going to be VERY bad. Freeport high is considered one of the worst schools in this immediate area (for violence, not for education). I lucked out, my mom had the foresight, when we were ready to goto school, to send us to Baldwin schools, SPECIFICALLY because of the violence and such going on in freeport. Now baldwin is becoming just as bad (they moved the roosevelt students in there).
Stay away from freeport honestly. It's not worth it.
You forgot about Dodd middle school that's the worst school. It looks like a prison because it was built by a person who built prisons. They don't have sinks in the bathrooms they all have to use gang sinks in the hallways. They have no grass and the playground is built on top of the old Freeport Presbyterian Church Cemetery. Make sure you live 1.5 miles from Dodd or you will have to drive your child to school. They stop bus service in the middle of blocks so the kids next door to you will get a bus but yours will not. I could go on but I think you get the idea . Good luck
Jesse

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

I've been living in Freeport all my life and still am. i love it sometimes and hate it. The schools are awful, full of gangs and kids who just want to start trouble. I would suggest putting your kids in private school. As for the white trashville part, is very untrue. There are some parts of the village that are beautiful and some parts you want to stay away. If your thinking of moving south of Freeport, you better have some flood insurance. Iíve been in Freeport for 23 years and nothing bad has happened to me, I thought things were getting bad here so I moved to Ronkonkoma, and my car was broken into. So I moved back, things are very different here, you just got to get along with your neighbors and your life will settle easily than any another place. If you have any another questions feel free to ask. I will tell you the good and the bad, not just the good or not just bad.
EastRockawayPets

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2007

Hello,
I had a Yorkie puppy stolen from me on August 29th. I did a lot of investagative work and I believe the thieves are from Freeport. Pete, and Mike....you both live in Freeport! The pup is a pure bred Yorkie (black & tan) in color...he is a male...very small. Stolen by 2 Hispanic females about 18 years old. The girls are BIG...very heavy set...tattoos and seemed preocuppied with the color YELLOW...if that means gang activity. I believe the pup is in the vicinity off Pennsylvania Ave! I am offering a reward for the arrest of the 2 girls that took him. You can email me direct at EastRockawayPets@aol.com
Thank you
rip van winkle

Baldwin, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2007

AS my name suggests, although I have lived in the town almost 60 yrs., I really don't recognize it at all. The Main St. shopping area is 100% latino flotsam and jetsom. One can see Peruvian indians passed out drunk at 2pm on Merrick Rd. It breaks my heart. Althouh the town was always a party town, it was a safe one, and when I think of the way the young white folks used to walk their girls home at 3am I just shake my head. Though I am a male in his 50's and live below Atlantic Ave. there's no way I'd walk to a 7-11 after dark..I don't even like driving there, or entering. Sometimes I'll go to Oceanside to buy a lotto ticket at nite. Like the big city, you really have to know the areas, and man are they changing. Ugh. So ya move to a cheaper place in Orlando and the same shit happens,as has happened to a Freeport buddy of mine. It's too late to be a doctor or dentist, but if you have kids, make damn sure they are in the educated elite for the upcoming Caste System America that that bastard( who i voted for!) Bush has planned for our fair land. Freeport is a symptom of a much greater malaise.
John Estevez

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

I live in freeport and use to be a village officer and if you wonna raise a 9 year old kid like one post said put him in private school the middle and high school's are full of gang's north freeport is mostly black cliks and gang's just to aware you what kind of gang's like bloods,crips also ms 13 on the latino side you have latin king's also a War/Drug zone pine st witch is a strip that connect's the high school and middle school a long running gang called pine st gangsters very known through out the community so I suggest you think about what you are tryng to do for your childs future
Better options

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2007

The nautical mile has great resturants with lovely surrounding homes. But, with so much in question in Freeport I would say, there are surrounding towns that have much better track records and affordable housing.
Theres lots of good housing stock in Lynbrook which has an amazing school district.
If proximity to Manhattan is not an issue then I agree with the other postings about going further out to somewhere like Massapequa where you can also get a decently priced house with good schools
Hater

Paterson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2007

Judged:

I'm thinking of relocating from Baldwin to Freeport, to escape the trash...good idea?? Hahaha...
Ken

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2008

Judged:

good grief, I grew up on Southside Ave In 50's and 60's. What a damn shame these damn minorities have done to my hometown.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jericho Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 5 hr Vote Zornow 6,408
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 17 hr Bruser 7,871
Women's Fund of LI to Honor Four Long Island Women 19 hr WFLI 1
Garbage pail scavengers in levittown Aug 25 Sambee 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Aug 22 Bruser 2,283
George Martin's Grillfire opens Monday in Syosset Aug 22 Neil Farbstein 1
Speed cameras begin operation in Nassau school ... Aug 22 Dale Earnhardt 2
•••

Jericho News Video

•••
•••

Jericho Jobs

•••