First Prev
of 4
Next Last
James

Brentwood, NY

#61 Jul 12, 2012
Does anyone know what became of Louise Mayo after Mayos down by Center Island closed. Her husband Pete passed a few years before. It was a great spot in the 70's and 80s'.
William Hill

Rochester, NH

#62 Aug 20, 2012
For additional discussions on old Bayville, visit this Facebook page I recently discovered.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/18460483160654...
Jay Mulet

Orlando, FL

#63 Mar 12, 2013
I lived on Quincy and work in Abe Barnett's Candy Store for three years. He was my first boss before I went into the navy in August 1965. Abe loved his wife and always together in the store. He was a good boss and taught me many things about life which I still used today. Bayville was a magical place back then. I remember the Mobil Gas station at the other end and Rumpf's liquir store in the middle. Did Reinharts burn down. The LVHS class of 1965 was a great bunch of kids , but we are much older now.
CAROLEE BUDD

New York, NY

#64 Jul 7, 2013
Richard wrote:
I recall Reinhardts in the 50's as I used to work there on weekend during summer. Chick Reinhardt was one of the nicest guys.
Pete and Louise Mayo opened Mayo's down near Centre Island Beach in the early 60's. In town it was the Holiday with Joe and Sam.
This was when we still had the Bayville Police Dept and we would beat the Glen Cove All Stars (little league) every year with Mr. Stanco. Bill Gronneman was assistant coach.
Hank Wragge was Scoutmaster when I was a boy scout in the 50s.
Jim Dougherty was 6th grade teacher, Miss Rogers was 5th. Mrs. Sparenday was 8th and Mr. Gibbs was 7th.(from the early 50s).
Tony Belsito was chief of police then.
Jack Davis was our coach for all sports at Bayville School but he left Bayville and a fellow named Paul Butler was coach my last year or two at Bayville School.
The town library was actually in an old house on Library Lane.
There was a bar at East Slope Rd and Bayville Ave, but I cant recall the name. And, of course, the Log Cabin, Pig n Whisle, Moms and Gus' pizza before he move to his own place down the other end. And who could forget the Cabana. Dickie Jenkins owned it then (early 60s).
That is all I can recall. I have lived in California since the late 60s after I had served in the Army.
I recall Clifton Flowers and jumping off the Bayville Bridge near his boats when the police couldnt see us.
I think the town had 900 residents then excluding those from summer homes.
Bayville had to be the greatest town I could ever hope to grow up in. I have nothing of fond memories. There wasnt much to do, so we played sports most of the time we werent in school and were the best in the area in baseball for sure. That was when Dont Be Cruel and Houndog were 1 and 2 for like the whole year!
Are you Richard Smith?
CAROLEE BUDD

New York, NY

#65 Jul 7, 2013
Are you Richard Smith?
CAROLEE BUDD

New York, NY

#66 Jul 7, 2013
Richard wrote:
Before Abe a fellow named Lou ran the soda fountain and magazine store. There was a small market next to him and the gas station.
Bob Jones ran the Sinclair gas station near Hotines, the Flying A was across from it and Ed Muller had the Texaco on Bayville and Ludlam.
We used the Bayville Bridge as a diving platform in those days.
The bar know known as Walls used to be a soda hang out with a jukebox. No alcohol.
I worked at Chick Reinhardts during some summers.
The Picolo brothers had the holiday and years later Pete Mayo ran the bar close to Centre Island Beach. At the other end we went to the Log Cabin and Pig "n Whistle. I recall a stand called Moms.
We whipped the Glen Cove allstars every year in Little League. Ralph Stanco and Bill Gronemann were the coaches.
Sandy Belsito was the chief of police, with Sam, Harry, George and ????. Joey Belsito is claimed to have only gotten a half haircut at one time cause the barber near Friendly Corner lost a bet on a horse race during the haircut and refused to do anymore hew was so upset! I dont know it it actually happened but everyone talked about it.
All we had was an A&P market which didnt sell meats because there was a butcher next door and then the drug store. And we had Our Hobby Market which did sell meats but catered mostly to Centre Island etc.
My teachers were MrGibbs, Jim Dougherty, Mrs Sparendei, Ms Carrol, Jack Davis, Mr Butler, Mr and Mrs Gault. Bayville School went to 8th grade. Mine was the last class to go to Oyster Bay HS. After that, everyone went to Locust Valley.
Charlie had the luncheonette downtown. Joe Alfano had the TV repair.
I grew up there in 40's and 50s. Loved every minute of it and have the greatest memories of Bayville. It is a great town to grow up in!
Are you Richard Smith?
Anonymous

Ridge, NY

#67 Aug 4, 2014
In 77' 78' and 79' there was a party at Reinharts called the Crattilion. My friend Joe's cousin was one of the partners in the restaurant. For 10 dollars a head you could drink all the tap beer you wanted and eat hamburgers and hot dogs all day long. Bands played all day and night long.
I laugh at the article in Snoozday about the Crecent clubs noise issue. Sheesh Summertime in Bayville as I recall was always noisy, it was a party town. All those bars you mention Ive been to back in the day. I grew up in Albertson and invaded Bayville regularly. I remember get great Souvlaki's and kabobs down by the beach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jericho Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 8 hr Bruser 2,317
Editorial: Re-elect Jack Martins in 7th Senate ... Thu Just Saying 1
Merry Christmas to Joe krupinski (Dec '13) Oct 23 Joe Krupinski 8
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Oct 23 Bruser 7,915
Review: Depalo & Sons Auto Body Inc (Nov '09) Oct 23 Jack Oasis 17
Review: Auto Gallery Imports (Jan '11) Oct 22 Damian 47
Review: Sahdev Devinder (Dec '10) Oct 22 John 15

Jericho News Video

Jericho Dating
Find my Match