Flames Shoot Through Large City Church

Flames Shoot Through Large City Church

There are 33 comments on the NBC 10 Philadelphia story from Apr 30, 2008, titled Flames Shoot Through Large City Church. In it, NBC 10 Philadelphia reports that:

A fire burned out of control inside a Philadelphia church Wednesday morning. Cameras captured images of flames shooting from the windows of the Prince of Peace Baptist Church, located at Berks and 32nd street ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 10 Philadelphia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mari

Philadelphia, PA

#23 May 1, 2008
Ok, and is this the first church to go up in flames? I don't think so.
Kenta McKinney

Philadelphia, PA

#24 May 1, 2008
I am truly sadden by the fire of this wonderful church. I was raised in that area and attended the school - William S. Stokley, along with my brothers and sister. I remember the teachers and principals and the PTA which our Mother was a member of. I was glad to know that the building had become a church and a fixture in the neighborhood once again. But as Minister Shipman stated, the congregation is the church and they will go forward with God's help.
mansion kid

Philadelphia, PA

#25 May 1, 2008
I went to grade schoolo at Stokely,which was the original incarnation of that building, way before it became a church.

It used to be a great neighborhood in which to live and raise your children before the onslaught of drugs and urban blight.

Man, I miss those wonderful days..
Neena908

Hillsborough, NJ

#26 May 1, 2008
This is my childhood church; from birth to 18 I attended this is where my family and I worshipped. My grandmother was an assistant pastor there; she ran most of the community programs. I have so many memories of my life's landmark events in that church - baptism, my daughter's christening, grandparents' funerals...The loss is inexplicable. Yes the building was just a building, but the memories that it held make the loss more difficult.
gene

United States

#27 May 1, 2008
I graduated from Stokely in 1953. I grew up at 30th & Euclid & walked to school, home for lunch & back again. I visited that grand old building a few times in the past number of years & was always welcome. I wish everyone all the best.
stan levin

Bell, CA

#28 May 6, 2008
Stan wrote:
If it is in fact at Berks and 32nd Sts., it originally was the Stokley school grades K thru 6. I attended that school in the
1930's.
I too went to Stokely in the 30's ... We lived one-half block from the school ... would lie to hear from the "other stan"
[email protected]
stan levin

Bell, CA

#29 May 6, 2008
Anyone still living who wenr to Stokely in the thirties please write me at [email protected]
Dewey

Lansing, MI

#30 May 20, 2008
I was saddened to hear that Stokely School had been destroyed by a tragic fire. I grew up in this neighborhood on Natrona St. and this school yard holds years of fond childhood memories. The Strawberry Mansion community will miss the loss of this safe haven.
Pamela

Voorhees, NJ

#31 May 22, 2008
Tiffany wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary - Shut up, and read your bible most blessings come after a fire
I agree.
Mary, shutup! For you know not what you speak! God has something GREATER in store of us at Prince of Peace Baptist. He has been giving us opportunities to tell people like you the SOVREIGNTY of God. He loves His children and we are looking forward to the blessings that is coming to us. May GOD BLESS YOU! and I hope that you will see the Christ for yourself.
radlad

Philadelphia, PA

#32 Aug 13, 2010
I attended the William J. Stokely School from 1952-1956.

best memories are of first and second grade teacher Delphia Augenblick - unfortunately she 'disappeared' from the school midway during the second grade after appearing before the House Unamerican Activites Committee (HUAC) of Senator MacCarthy.

I lived at 2145 N. Natrona Street - which was between Diamond and Susquehanna and between 32nd and 33rd.
Monique

Arlington, VA

#33 Dec 5, 2012
i have a class picture my mother left me when she died and it was taken in 1967 at William Stokley school. Do anyone remember the black male teacher?
ringOFfire

Phoenix, AZ

#34 Dec 8, 2012
Any church that burns is one more step in the right dirction. This cult of christians needs to be stopped.
DeborahS

Bronx, NY

#35 Oct 30, 2013
radlad wrote:
I attended the William J. Stokely School from 1952-1956.
best memories are of first and second grade teacher Delphia Augenblick - unfortunately she 'disappeared' from the school midway during the second grade after appearing before the House Unamerican Activites Committee (HUAC) of Senator MacCarthy.
I lived at 2145 N. Natrona Street - which was between Diamond and Susquehanna and between 32nd and 33rd.
I am a distant relative of Delphia Augenblick- would love to hear about your memories of her. Do you have any class pictures from your time at the William J. Stokely School?

[email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jenkintown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Clinton for President 2 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 5
Trump for President, He will win. watch Thu Cary Cottle 1
Loan Shark with specifics needed (Jul '15) Wed Stanford doc 13
Loanshark or street loan needed in or around Ph... (Apr '13) Wed spotcred 91
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Aug 23 Jim Mac 787
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Aug 23 Reliable philly 1
Chris Powell Managing Editor of the JI investig... Aug 22 Hillary lies 2

Jenkintown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jenkintown Mortgages