Smoke bomb senior faces felony charge

A Calvin Christian High School senior was arrested and charged with a felony after smoke bombs were discovered in the school. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Wow

Muskegon, MI

#1 Jun 3, 2008
Smoke bombs are far from a funny 'Senior Prank' after all this Country has gone through. I really hope he realizes the extent and seriousness of his carless actions...
Another CCHS Senior

Grand Blanc, MI

#2 Jun 3, 2008
Now THIS is over the top. I am extremely frustrated with the situation already, knowing the student and seeing him within the past 40 hours and inviting him over to my house. Not all CCHS students are bad. There are some, but that shouldn't include this student.

I hope I'm not seen as a bad kid in this situation for associating myself with a student who took high level classes and had a gpa well in the top 25% of our class.

Punishment? Yes. 5 year felony? No.
Grandville John

Jackson, MI

#3 Jun 3, 2008
Another CCHS Senior wrote:
Now THIS is over the top. I am extremely frustrated with the situation already, knowing the student and seeing him within the past 40 hours and inviting him over to my house. Not all CCHS students are bad. There are some, but that shouldn't include this student.
I hope I'm not seen as a bad kid in this situation for associating myself with a student who took high level classes and had a gpa well in the top 25% of our class.

Punishment? Yes. 5 year felony? No.
WHY NOT the "Student" committed a Felony he should be charged and billed for all the Police and Fire time involed with this!!!!!
lovin_life

El Paso, TX

#5 Jun 3, 2008
We understand what you are saying, it was a mistake. However, after past experiences, such as Colombine, schools need to be cautious. There is no 'forgive and forget' when it comes to this, it is against the law to bring weapons and 'bombs' to school, even if they are fake or harmless. I was a senior not too long ago, so I understand the prank part. However, part of being a senior and getting out high school is growing up and taking responsability, and knowing right from wrong. Sorry guys, but just like the 3rd graders having to take responsability for the butter knife to cut brownines, your buddy is going to have to take responsability for this 'prank' he pulled. Causing this type of alarm should be punished by more than suspension and not being able to walk at graduation... that is a slap on the hand. Maybe 5 years is too much, but the schools solution was too little.
Murphy S

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Jun 3, 2008
Where has common sense gone? Sure they are semi- harmless smoke bombs, but what if? What if they started a fire, or seriously injured someone during the evacuation, or exploded like the smoke bomb did on the east side of the state sending two people to the hospital.

Kids being kids simply does not apply anymore. So as we do so simply in this state, lets make excuses and not hold the person culpable for his actions. Accountability and responsibility.
not right

Grand Haven, MI

#7 Jun 3, 2008
Grandville John wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY NOT the "Student" committed a Felony he should be charged and billed for all the Police and Fire time involed with this!!!!!
It's a kid and a innocent joke. He should get into trouble, but by no means, five years. The justice system now a days is just absurd, some people need to get their heads out of the asses and look around for some common sense
Mark

Knoxville, TN

#8 Jun 3, 2008
Based on the story, good luck getting a conviction. Not sure who would consider a smoke bomb an explosive device, other than a bunch of overreacting cops and school administrators.

What is this country coming to?

Stupid, yes, but nothing happened. We let a whole things that are worse than this go.
ron mexico

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Jun 3, 2008
gotta love those conservative reformed.
Give it up

Kansas City, KS

#10 Jun 3, 2008
Uh Duh! Apparantely he never watches the news.
One man one vote

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Jun 3, 2008
What happend to Soap, TP & putting the teachers car on jack stands. When did it become a prank or funny to make it look as if the school is going to go BOOM! Where did we go wrong??
Old Glory

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Jun 3, 2008
I remember a bunch of posts calling for two kids in Saranac to damn near get the chair because they put a pile of trash next to a trash can. This kid actually lit something on fire. Where is the out rage here?
Car Guy

Shelbyville, MI

#13 Jun 3, 2008
No dumber than the Police, moving a Bomb device of any kind without calling the bombsquad first.

Also, look around at over 1/2 the world, this Country hasn't been through SQUAT in comparison, We just had or little bubble shaken. GET OVER IT
I have many Friends risking thier Lives, every day overseas, in real danger, protecting your right to be an over dramatic whiney Butt, people take every little thing way to serious, remember a few years back, the Elementry school kid that got expelled because he turned in a plastic gun He found on the playground, to the playground supervisor/teacher? you over dramatic types kicked a kid out of elementary school for doing what he was suppossed to do, But he had possision of a firearm on school property (although fake)people with your aparent mental skills, punished him for doing what you taught him to do.
rjmichigan

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Jun 3, 2008
5 years is a bit much. Well don't none of you buy smoke bombs for your kids this 4th of July. CPS will be comming for ya and the FEDS.
Wyoming mother

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Jun 3, 2008
Oh come ON now. 5 year felony?!? As far as the post up above, I'm sure that this kid NOW realizes the seriousness of his actions. I'm also sure that at the time, all he was thinking was "smoke, funny ha-ha". Yes, I agree there should be some sort of punishment, however, as a CCHS Alumni myself, I'm guessing this kid has no prior record on him. So we're going to make an "example" of him? Wow.
Murphy S

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Jun 3, 2008
Common sense...
Yup innocent joke - kid brings an incendiary device (yup just a smoke bomb, but it has to be lighted with a flame and creates heat to produce smoke)and intends to ignite it in a populated school. Yeah, that's pretty harmless.

Rather than blaming the overreaction of the school administration, why don't we commend them for looking out for our kids. You know they really don't have much else to look out for besides explosives, drugs, weapons, assaults and so on.

Should the police/fire departments been called? Hmm, what would the parent's say if they weren't?

Again, lets blame everything else.

Yup over reaction on everyones part.
not right wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a kid and a innocent joke. He should get into trouble, but by no means, five years. The justice system now a days is just absurd, some people need to get their heads out of the asses and look around for some common sense
Car Guy

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jun 3, 2008
One man one vote wrote:
What happend to Soap, TP & putting the teachers car on jack stands. When did it become a prank or funny to make it look as if the school is going to go BOOM! Where did we go wrong??
Where you been, They arrest you for that stuff now, it's defacing property. not a felony but a crime
chickie

Lansing, MI

#18 Jun 3, 2008
OK, end of the year senior prank...haha. while funny, this student shall reep what he sew's. Quess he'll learn his lesson. Hopefully.
Sandy

United States

#19 Jun 3, 2008
I am sure he has more than learned his lesson and I think that this has been blown so very out of proportion!!! He didn't call in a bomb threat! He just made the mistake and left them in his locker. He is still a kid and this is what kids do. He never intended to cause harm or even scare people. Shouldn't we focus on the dying children in Grand Rapids due to gun fire. Come on people, lets get our priorities straight!
Mark

Knoxville, TN

#20 Jun 3, 2008
Maybe we ought to reinstate the death penalty for this one act??? You people need some valium.

What purpose could charging\convicting this kid of a felony serve? Give him some community service (washing cop cars), make him pay for the bomb squad response--which was way out of line--and call it good.

Still gotta love the officer that drove it to the station, then they call the bomb squad and evacuate half the city for a freakin' smoke bomb. This whole thing is beyond stupid.
tom

Caledonia, MI

#21 Jun 3, 2008
Murphy S wrote:
Common sense...
Yup innocent joke - kid brings an incendiary device (yup just a smoke bomb, but it has to be lighted with a flame and creates heat to produce smoke)and intends to ignite it in a populated school. Yeah, that's pretty harmless.
Rather than blaming the overreaction of the school administration, why don't we commend them for looking out for our kids. You know they really don't have much else to look out for besides explosives, drugs, weapons, assaults and so on.
Should the police/fire departments been called? Hmm, what would the parent's say if they weren't?
Again, lets blame everything else.
Yup over reaction on everyones part.
<quoted text>
right. what happened?...you protected the kid with a CRC high school, and probably K thru 8 also......and kept him away from the public school demons.....oh well, time to face the old gavel, just like the riff raff.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jenison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 4 hr Really 58
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 6 hr Buffalo Bull 1,482
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways 8 hr Really 20
most ludicrious car commercial 9 hr bobolinq 1
happy wife . . . 10 hr bobolinq 1
sony balony 15 hr Idea Maker 6
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 19 hr Who 1
Jenison Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jenison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jenison News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jenison