Grand Rapids area gas prices spike 20...

Grand Rapids area gas prices spike 20 cents

There are 141 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Mar 7, 2008, titled Grand Rapids area gas prices spike 20 cents. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Gas prices are headed up Friday, with some stations posting a 20 cent hike overnight.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
gas

Rockford, MI

#1 Mar 7, 2008
and this is a surprise!So Sad. I wonder if GWB knows it went up again this time?
worried

Rockford, MI

#2 Mar 7, 2008
Yep more gas stations and places being robbed, Moneys tight and thugs will be out more. Getting in the Butt again ,The rich oil companys and stocks holders just laughing at us,while there all banking there profits off us.
Cheap

United States

#3 Mar 7, 2008
We are responsible for our own choices. I own a five seat midsize car that is larger then many midsize and compact cars on the road. No one should be forced to buy a car they do not love. I love my car because I get over 100 mpg and I only have to fill the 10 gallon tank every third week. You may love your car because it is fast from the stop sign to the 30 mph, or you may love your car because it is taller then any other vehicle out there. That is fine. We both spend our money on what we like. You spend your money on gasoline; I spend my money on restaurants, electronics, and trips around the world. It is great we live in a free country where we can be responsible for our own decisions and we do not have to blame anyone else? Now I am in the market for a wind generator, solar panels, and an all electric car so I can just take myself out of this equation.

Why aren't small businesses screaming for more Plug-in Cars so that more people can spend money with them instead of on gas? I love cars, Old, Bid, Fast, Loud, I just not going to foot the bill for them anymore. Hey I am not happy about this either, It has been three weeks since my last fill up and I have to buy gas today. I just have not decided if I should get 10 gallons and fill my car, or should I just buy 3 gallons and wait to see if the prices come down in a week.
Jon From Muskegon

Salt Lake City, UT

#4 Mar 7, 2008
if gas goes any higher, people won't be able to afford to go to work.

“Common sense RULES ”

Since: Sep 07

West Michigan

#5 Mar 7, 2008
These executives are a bunch of convicts and should be treated as such. I managed a gas station for several years and seen all the bills, and difference between cost and sales prices. Its not the little fish that is making all the money, don't be mad at your local operator. Its the huge corporate conglomerates that are reaping this windfall.

“God Save The Queen”

Since: Jan 08

Grand Haven

#6 Mar 7, 2008
WZZM 13 thinks this news worthy?
News worthy would be price of gas decreases fifty cents a gallon.
Or quick run to your nearest Meijers because there computer screwed up and it's giving a 50% disount on gas.
Baruch HaShem

Grand Haven, MI

#7 Mar 7, 2008
Your not Cheap, your being very wise, and I am just a few steps behind you, it is too bad that GREED and BIGGER is so common and a fix way of the American life style. Drive faster and of course only one person in the car, never stop at any stop signs or slow down. Maybe if we all ride a bike once in a while we would enjoy life more.
You said it all, wait until summer and it at 4.00 dollars per gallon or more. You people that think President GWB is the cause, are just not thinking and will not look at the real picture because it scares you way too much.
God Bless America.
Don M

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Mar 7, 2008
If you don't like it open a refinery. Oh wait, you can't. Then drop an oil well. Oh wait, the greens won't let you do that either. Ride a bike? The Bus? Energy policies have choked off our country's ability to have more competition and be less dependent on foreign oil. The same market forces that make DVD players and computers get cheaper aren't allowed to operate in the energy market because of government, not corporations.
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Mar 7, 2008
Cheap wrote:
We are responsible for our own choices. I own a five seat midsize car that is larger then many midsize and compact cars on the road. No one should be forced to buy a car they do not love. I love my car because I get over 100 mpg and I only have to fill the 10 gallon tank every third week. You may love your car because it is fast from the stop sign to the 30 mph, or you may love your car because it is taller then any other vehicle out there. That is fine. We both spend our money on what we like. You spend your money on gasoline; I spend my money on restaurants, electronics, and trips around the world. It is great we live in a free country where we can be responsible for our own decisions and we do not have to blame anyone else? Now I am in the market for a wind generator, solar panels, and an all electric car so I can just take myself out of this equation.
Why aren't small businesses screaming for more Plug-in Cars so that more people can spend money with them instead of on gas? I love cars, Old, Bid, Fast, Loud, I just not going to foot the bill for them anymore. Hey I am not happy about this either, It has been three weeks since my last fill up and I have to buy gas today. I just have not decided if I should get 10 gallons and fill my car, or should I just buy 3 gallons and wait to see if the prices come down in a week.
100 mpg????
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Mar 7, 2008
Redbaron wrote:
These executives are a bunch of convicts and should be treated as such. I managed a gas station for several years and seen all the bills, and difference between cost and sales prices. Its not the little fish that is making all the money, don't be mad at your local operator. Its the huge corporate conglomerates that are reaping this windfall.
Are you really trying to tell me that Van Manen Oil isn't reaping serious profits here?
RIck

United States

#11 Mar 7, 2008
Speaking of Meijers. Thanks Meijers for the text alert that we did not get telling us that gas prices were going up. Your all just a bunch of greedy companies whose only concern is the almighty buck!!!! ALSO I"LL BE GLAD WHEN THE BUSH CHEYNEY DAYS ARE GONE!!!
Alfred

United States

#12 Mar 7, 2008
I called the Att. Gen. office here in Lansing and he said "stations can charge any price they want".
Is'nt that gas gouging? "no, only during the storm in New Orlings. Gasoline is not regulated."
This tells you what the democrats in Lansing are doing for Michigan.
Aaron

Castle Rock, CO

#13 Mar 7, 2008
First off, There is no way "cheap" is getting 100 mpg with any production car out there. We'd like to know what you drive.

Secondly, I think it's funny all of you who cry about these people driving big cars that they don't "need".

Well... Here's what I think. I think I am going to get in my old, extended cab, long bed, bus sized 4x4 Dodge, and I'm going to drive it back and forth to work, like I always do, getting 11mpg, and using it for pleasure. Then as soon as Spring hits, I will drive my lifted Bronco that gets 10 mpg and enjoy it too... typically by myself or maybe with a few friends.

I think tomorow morning I will go for a ride. Just for fun.

The point is, I'm not going to stop doing what I enjoy, and driving my choice of vehicle, just because some greedy corporations out there are reaping profits from gas prices. There are too many factors at play here, face it. Whatever we do we will continue being raped by these prices for a long time ahead. I am sure not about to buy a damn Toyota Prius because of it.

Also, all of you high-strung hybrid-electric owners. Have fun when your car breaks down in 7 years and you have to pay double the price of your car to get it fixed. I'll continue fixing my old junk with $10 parts from Autozone.
worried

Rockford, MI

#14 Mar 7, 2008
Jon From Muskegon wrote:
if gas goes any higher, people won't be able to afford to go to work.
No, they all be in Jail with the robbers . Own a small car and I dont care how you cut it gas is to Dammmmm high. Why is it when we are hurting In USA with the economy,They kick us when were down? Because they Can. I say take some of that darn oil we are fighting for, Oh yeah thats not why we are there !
Devon

Harbor Springs, MI

#15 Mar 7, 2008
I use gas to start my brush fires but at that price I will just use some old motor oil and a few used tires.
worried

Rockford, MI

#16 Mar 7, 2008
RIck wrote:
Speaking of Meijers. Thanks Meijers for the text alert that we did not get telling us that gas prices were going up. Your all just a bunch of greedy companies whose only concern is the almighty buck!!!! ALSO I"LL BE GLAD WHEN THE BUSH CHEYNEY DAYS ARE GONE!!!
SOooooooo agree,Rich getting Richer.Again thanks Meijers!! Needs more money for his Garden that he charges way to much to see anyways.
Bob

Attica, OH

#17 Mar 7, 2008
Spring is right around the corner. The oil companies need to start raising prices now to get them up to $4.00 a gallon by May when everyone starts traveling more. Bush & Cheney will be unemployed soon. They will need more money.

It's a great racket. When the demand rises, cut back on production to give the false illusion that demand exceeds supply. I believe oil company greed is a primary reason for the economy slowdown. People spend more on gas and simply don't have money to spend on other things.
james

Brighton, CO

#18 Mar 7, 2008
Why are we paying so much for gas when opec records billion dollar profits??Why does our government stand by and let this happen? Are they making money too and not telling the American people..

“November 12th, 2011”

Since: Nov 07

up a tree

#20 Mar 7, 2008
Cheap wrote:
I love my car because I get over 100 mpg and I only have to fill the 10 gallon tank every third week.
Yeah right, does it use pixie dust to make up for the gasoline that you claim to not to use. 100 mpg BWAHAHAAAAAA!

“God Save The Queen”

Since: Jan 08

Grand Haven

#21 Mar 7, 2008
Jon From Muskegon wrote:
if gas goes any higher, people won't be able to afford to go to work.
Talk about an iron clad excuse for not getting a part time job while in school.
Dad have you seen the price of gas? it's $4.00 plus a gallon and minimum wage is $7.15
It's hard enough to motivate them as it is, now how can you argue with this?
OK, son I'll subsidize your employment with a gas allowance.
I don't think so!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jenison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Builder, construction worker arrested for theft... (Jan '08) Feb 19 Nicks new victim 53
Local News Women (Apr '09) Feb 19 WMNewsfan 3,222
Review: Dermatology Center - Evelyn E Vandervee... (Oct '09) Feb 18 Former Patient 21
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Feb 18 a commenter 1,219
News Fire destroys well-known Lowell restaurant (Sep '07) Feb 18 Neighbor 11
KJC's Very Own Things To Write Here On Topix Feb 16 Kelly Joanne Cannon 28
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Feb 15 lynn 195

Jenison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jenison Mortgages