Schneider: Comparison of smoking to c...

Schneider: Comparison of smoking to civil rights draws fire

There are 4 comments on the Lansing State Journal story from May 24, 2010, titled Schneider: Comparison of smoking to civil rights draws fire. In it, Lansing State Journal reports that:

Bernheisel read his comments, he recognized the ridiculousness of equating the civil rights of blacks to the privilege of smokers to pollute the air of others with a foul-smelling and carcinogenic substance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lansing State Journal.

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#1 May 24, 2010
Has the writer ever been in a bar? I ask this because he seems to equate bars with heavenly scents when smoking is absent. LOL One would feel pity for such naivete were it not written as if it were the truth.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#2 May 25, 2010
The fact that no one complains about the bars ignoring the ban seems to clearly indicate that these ban fanatics never have, or never will, enter a bar. When the Illinois ban was new and the fanfare was still going, the only snitchline complaints were for people and ash receptacles outside the door, and neighbors were complaining about people loitering. The bars ignoring the ban had no complaints.
UR Flawed Claude

Nashville, TN

#3 May 27, 2010
generalsn1234567 wrote:
The fact that no one complains about the bars ignoring the ban seems to clearly indicate that these ban fanatics never have, or never will, enter a bar. When the Illinois ban was new and the fanfare was still going, the only snitchline complaints were for people and ash receptacles outside the door, and neighbors were complaining about people loitering. The bars ignoring the ban had no complaints.
The fact that no one complains does NOT prove that no one was bothered.

Anyone who DID mind would have to look at the situation and say, "Hey, these people aren't changing when the LAW SAYS they must. What chance does MY input have of affecting their bizarre behavior? Come to that, do I really WANT to aggravate people who refuse to alter their behavior even when so many people complain that the LAW DEMANDS that they change? Do I want to aggravate the SMOKERS congregating here?"

Oh, yeah, it IS possible for those who prefer law-abiding places CAN leave if nothing else calls for their remaining. It becomes a choice, but deciding that they would mind the consequences of LEAVING more than they mind remaining in the SHS does NOT equate with having no complaint about the SHS.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#4 May 28, 2010
UR Flawed Claude wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that no one complains does NOT prove that no one was bothered.
Anyone who DID mind would have to look at the situation and say, "Hey, these people aren't changing when the LAW SAYS they must. What chance does MY input have of affecting their bizarre behavior? Come to that, do I really WANT to aggravate people who refuse to alter their behavior even when so many people complain that the LAW DEMANDS that they change? Do I want to aggravate the SMOKERS congregating here?"
Oh, yeah, it IS possible for those who prefer law-abiding places CAN leave if nothing else calls for their remaining. It becomes a choice, but deciding that they would mind the consequences of LEAVING more than they mind remaining in the SHS does NOT equate with having no complaint about the SHS.
Freedom of choice, as it should be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jenison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 3 hr WMNewsFan 3,069
Why does French Onion soup give me such foul sm... (Mar '09) Oct 15 Marlene K 56
Mexican people think they own everything. Tru... Oct 15 Marlene K 7
Why Do Men and Women Like To Be Called Mommy or... (Nov '08) Oct 15 Marlene K 100
White women are the biggest hypocrites. Oct 8 Whoremonger 5
Enroll Now - If Anyone Would Like To Help! Oct 8 Guest 2
News 1 dead in York Creek Apt shooting (Sep '08) Oct 8 Guest 359

Jenison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jenison Mortgages