Trial for black Jena students accused...

Trial for black Jena students accused of trying to kill white

There are 25 comments on the NOLA,com story from May 10, 2007, titled Trial for black Jena students accused of trying to kill white. In it, NOLA,com reports that:

“The charges need to be dropped or at least reduced to simple battery. There were no broken bones, that boy didn't stay in the hospital, this was no attempted murder”

Three black students are scheduled for trial this month on charges of trying to murder a white student during a fight in December. via NOLA,com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NOLA,com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gusty McPherson

Bergenfield, NJ

#1 May 15, 2007
I feel that to reduce the charge is wrong. When some one is knocked out and you still keep pounding on them, that is NOT simple battery. They obviously had something in mind other than just beating him up, or else they would have just stopped when he was already on the ground. I feel this is a racial matter, because if the races where changed, to three white boys beating up a black boy. Then with no doubt it would be called attempted murder. I think these black boys knew what they where doing and they should own up to it. They should have to serve time in a juvinile facility and pay whatever fines there are for ATTEMPTED MURDER!

myspace_com_heav ystylz

Hillsboro, OR

#2 May 24, 2007
As far as I am aware these kids were only 'accused' of this crime. They are not convicted yet. When you say "you think they knew what they were doing and they should own up to it" you sound as if you have already convicted them in your mind, which incidentally prooves the existence of "stealth racism". I mean hear you are in where?...NJ? And you have already you seem to know enough about this case to not only be sure that it indeed was ATTEMPTED MURDER but they're convicted of it as well!
Not to mention, as far as I understand these kids are being tried as adults by a DA that is promising to go for the maximum of 50 years. That's basically a "lifer" there, all for an act that was done as a minor. If that is what we are going consider justice in this country then we all better be willing to see a lot of rich white minors doing lifers as well or it's on!
Malcolm X said, "It's not even really violence when it's self-defense, it's intelligence."
"If we as American's don't right the wrongs of our heinous history we will be forced to at the end of a gun held by the the armies or our vengeful victims." I said that.
Peace,
-Sean Murphy
myspace.com/heavystylz
Derek Williams

UK

#3 May 25, 2007
I once believed the USA was the greatest country in the world and the best place to live.

No more.

I am neither black nor American.

Thank God.
cfinan_WHITEMAN

Dublin, Ireland

#4 May 28, 2007
last week i saw a BBC documentary on irish television about the recent race issues in jena and i must say i was absolutely bowled over with the prejudice and underlying hate that seems to be present in the town.
The local press seems to have already convicted these students without the slightest bit of balance to the story....As far as I can see, this "attempted murder" appears to have been nothing more than a schoolyard fight and the evidence that the white guy being knocked unconscious is wholly unreliable, seeing as he was spotted out with friends later that same day. While i wouldn't condone violence etc, these boys are being hung out to dry. As for the nooses on the tree, well these white people really ought to get a grip on reality. To jest about putting a rope around a tree in this manner beggars belief.
What I find particularly bizarre is that while lobby groups in america will not give up their constitutional right "to bear arms", there is such an a la carte feeling towards the more fundamental constitutional message that "all men are created equal".
Your hipocosy is truly amazing. How the mighty country has fallen
amenra

Park Ridge, IL

#5 Jun 3, 2007
one hesitates to say too much in such a very aggrevateing time. A time reminisent of the earlier history of the Negro in these united states. The district atty. is a rabid white man who makes a mockery of civilized society with its incumbent responsibilities. The school board members are all racist except for Mr. worthington. The teachers are racist. Where is the JUST=US. the d.a. also should know that these are 17 year old children that he wants to incarcerate for 100 years ..not men... as he has stated so many times. That they are not crimminals as he also has stated frenquently. Now some other white man will make a decision to uphold the other white man unless these obivious racist are put in check. We are fortunate that already only the blind will miss the GLAREING>>UP FRONT IN YOUR FACE..OLD TIME>>DR>KING>> MAMCOLM X>>1950's racism. BY the way does the Grayhound go to Jena? we will be there with our lawyers and our demand for equal justice Mr.District Attorney bygum you betcha.
Amen Ra
Chicago
DEBBIE

Vicksburg, MS

#7 Jun 26, 2007
FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL THE FAMILIES INVOLVED-THE BEATEN YOUNG MAN AND THE YOUNG MEN WHOM DID THE BEATING.
I CAN NOT HELP BUT WONDER AFTER READING THESE COMMENTS FROM EVERYONE QUOTING MALCOLM X AND DR KING FOR INSTANCE WOULD FEEL IF THIS HAD BEEN WHITE BOYS WHO HAD BEATEN A BLACK BOY.
I HAVE NEVER CONSIDERED MYSELF RACIST BUT THIS MAKES ME SICK. IT IS NOT RIGHT FOR ANYONE TO DO THIS TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING BLACK OR WHITE.
I SINCERLY HOPE THE CHARGES WILL BE REDUCED
AFTERALL ATTEMPTED MURDER IS TOO MUCH BUT I REALLY DO THINK THESE YOUNG MEN SHOULD BE PUNISHED
BECAUSE I KNOW FOR SURE IF THE ROLES WERE REVERSED EVERYONE WOULD WANT THE WHITE BOYS TO PAY!
GOD BLESS YOU ALL
DEBBIE

Vicksburg, MS

#8 Jun 26, 2007
FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL FAMILIES INVOLVED IN THIS CASE.
I HAVE NEVER COSIDERED MYSELF RACIAL BUT I WANT TO SAY THIS WHOLE THING MAKES ME SICK.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW EVERYONE WHOM IS QUOTING MALCOLM X AND DR. KING WOULD FEEL IF THIS HAD BEEN A SITUATION WHERE THERE WERE WHITE YOUNG MEN WHOM HAD BEATEN A YOUNG BLACK MAN. THIS IS NOT RIGHT WHETHER IT BE BLACKS DOING THE BEATING OR IF IT WAS WHITES!
I SINCERELY HOPE THE CHARGES WILL BE REDUCED BECAUSE I THINK ATTEMPTED MURDER IS WRONG BUT I DO FEEL THESE YOUNG MEN DO NEED TO BE TAUGHT THAT WHAT THEY DID IS WRONG.
ITS SOOOO SAD THAT OUR CHILDREN FEEL LIKE THAT THEY HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING OUT TO BE ABOUT RACE. BUT AGAIN I BLAME THE MEDIA AND PEOPLE WHO KEEP HOLLARING RACISM EVERY TIME SOMETHING IS DONE AGAINST THEIR PACTICULAR RACE.
MISSISSIPPI
brittany

Charleston, WV

#9 Jun 26, 2007
As a student where this is all taken place i would like to say a few things to clear up the matter! The white boy was jumped on for no apparent reason. They say they had the wrong Justin. But also i went to school with over half these black boys and they are good kids. Id hate for them to be in jail the rest of their life. Carwin, i beleive, was looking a football scholarship and Micheal Bell was one of the best football players Jena has seen in a while. Bryant Ray was really a sweet guy. I dont want them to be charged with murder but i do think they should get a little bit of a sentence just to teach them a lesson. When a person starts to bleed from the ear you've done enough damage. And the boy was not seen later that evening out. He was in the hospital running tests. And Jena is not as racist as ppl make it seem. The older ppl have their opinion sure but that in alot of southern towns. I as a white girl have many friends that are black. And my younger sister's best friend is black. But It isnt that bad at all. It was at first but as long as you treat them as you would anyone else it didnt matter. Jena is still a NICE PLACE TO CALL HOME!! I wouldnt change my home for anything!

Since: Jul 07

Trussville, AL

#10 Jul 3, 2007
I swear if CNN broadcasted that toilets were the homes of mystical fairies, people would believe them.

Since: Jul 07

Jena, LA

#11 Jul 3, 2007
Jealousmango wrote:
I swear if CNN broadcasted that toilets were the homes of mystical fairies, people would believe them.
BBC already broadcasted that so CNN can't steal it
unknown_7

United States

#12 Jul 4, 2007
the black boys did what they did because one of their own kind was beat not to long before the fight broke out at the school all because them prepy rich kids didnt want any black in their party at the fair bair and one of the black boy got in to the party and three white boys and the boy them boys jumped at school hit the black boy in the head with a beer bottle and beat him so them back boys did what them white boys did to one of their own kind and another thing it all come back down to them nusses hang in the tree so them boys that did that to the tree at school should of be expeled from the lasalle parish school and i think that the principal could have done something about that fight at school just like they do with anyothner fight that goes on at the school and another thing if u dont live in the town of jena u have not right saying that them black boys should have to surver time in jail cause u dont know the whole story and that whole town of jena is nothing but a racist place
unknown_7

United States

#13 Jul 4, 2007
Gusty McPherson wrote:
I feel that to reduce the charge is wrong. When some one is knocked out and you still keep pounding on them, that is NOT simple battery. They obviously had something in mind other than just beating him up, or else they would have just stopped when he was already on the ground. I feel this is a racial matter, because if the races where changed, to three white boys beating up a black boy. Then with no doubt it would be called attempted murder. I think these black boys knew what they where doing and they should own up to it. They should have to serve time in a juvinile facility and pay whatever fines there are for ATTEMPTED MURDER!
the black boys did what they did because one of their own kind was beat not to long before the fight broke out at the school all because them prepy rich kids didnt want any black in their party at the fair bair and one of the black boy got in to the party and three white boys and the boy them boys jumped at school hit the black boy in the head with a beer bottle and beat him so them back boys did what them white boys did to one of their own kind and another thing it all come back down to them nusses hang in the tree so them boys that did that to the tree at school should of be expeled from the lasalle parish school and i think that the principal could have done something about that fight at school just like they do with anyothner fight that goes on at the school and another thing if u dont live in the town of jena u have not right saying that them black boys should have to surver time in jail cause u dont know the whole story and that whole town of jena is nothing but a racist place
pbear

Tripoli, Libya

#14 Jul 5, 2007
First of all the party at the fair barn was a private party. If you throw a private party only people invited can come in be it a black party or white party. If they hit him with a beer bottle in the head, then he should have pressed charges on the boys. I would be the first to stand up and say that that was wrong. But if you kick a boy when he is down and knock him out and continue to kick him in the head. That is more than a fight, that is trying to injury someone. AND THAT IS A CRIME!!!!!!!!!!Is Jena a racist place overall, NO. Are there racist people in JENA, Yes. And you know what the racist people in Jena are Both BLACK and WHITE. Just remember some of the most racist people in the USA are black!
You people are crazy

United States

#15 Jul 7, 2007
So you're saying because it was a private party that gives you the right to jump somebody? and are you also saying by hitting someone in the head with a beer bottle you're not trying to inflict serious damage its just the regular thing to do?
pbear wrote:
First of all the party at the fair barn was a private party. If you throw a private party only people invited can come in be it a black party or white party. If they hit him with a beer bottle in the head, then he should have pressed charges on the boys. I would be the first to stand up and say that that was wrong. But if you kick a boy when he is down and knock him out and continue to kick him in the head. That is more than a fight, that is trying to injury someone. AND THAT IS A CRIME!!!!!!!!!!Is Jena a racist place overall, NO. Are there racist people in JENA, Yes. And you know what the racist people in Jena are Both BLACK and WHITE. Just remember some of the most racist people in the USA are black!
Dino

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jul 8, 2007
You people are crazy wrote:
So you're saying because it was a private party that gives you the right to jump somebody? and are you also saying by hitting someone in the head with a beer bottle you're not trying to inflict serious damage its just the regular thing to do?
<quoted text>
U GOT YOUR NERVES,THERE ARE MORE WHITE RACIST,AND U KNOW THAT,U JUST DON'T WANT TO BELEIVE IT.NOW THAT'S THE TRUTH!
Dino

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jul 8, 2007
IF IT WAS WHITE BOYS THEN THEY WOULD HAVE JUST BEEN SUSPENDED FOR A WHILE, BUT SINCE THEY WERE BLACK THEY ENDED UP GOING TO PRISON, THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL OCCASIONS WHEN THE ISSUE WAS REVERSED AND THE ONLY THING THAT HAPPENED TO THE WHITE KIDS IS SUSPENSION AND PROBATION.IT THIS NOT JUST IN JENA IT ALL OVER THE US
Jolissa

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 9, 2007
Im not going to say to much but the overall situation is bullshit because if the staff would of handled the situation about the nooses then mabey things wouldn't of escalated.Its been goin on for years that the staff ha spulled this bullshit. Last but not least I know i've done my share of trouble making but when black people beat da shit out of each other seven and eight people and weapons used then the law is ok with it! All i can say is black people pull together and stick together cause this is what they rather see!

Since: Jul 07

Natchitoches

#21 Jul 10, 2007
Jolissa wrote:
Im not going to say to much but the overall situation is bullshit because if the staff would of handled the situation about the nooses then mabey things wouldn't of escalated.Its been goin on for years that the staff ha spulled this bullshit. Last but not least I know i've done my share of trouble making but when black people beat da shit out of each other seven and eight people and weapons used then the law is ok with it! All i can say is black people pull together and stick together cause this is what they rather see!
How exactly could the staff handled the noose incident any other way than to recommend the kids for expulsion??? It was up to the superintendent and school board to decide the punishment. Perhaps you are trying to throw gas onto the fire because you didn't get the verdict that you felt was just and fair. Maybe you need to run for a school board seat. Or, hell, maybe you need to be a teacher. Or, even, perhaps, just maybe, you could get off your butt and go to that school and educate those kids instead of sitting behind a computer screen and screaming how unfair life is. Maybe they cut off your SSI and welfare today, and you are just pissy. If you don't like how the world is, go out there and change it, but dont be a Monday morning quarterback and tell everyone how they SHOULD have handled it, and what they SHOULD have done. Do it YOURSELF, and quit waiting on people to do it FOR YOU
Jamaal

Corpus Christi, TX

#22 Jul 11, 2007
Debbie, I have quoted no one, however, I would like to reply to your question. if it was 6 white boys on one black boy. I would feel the same. No one deserves the amount of time that they are trying to give these boys for a school yard fight. You can not tell me that this is the first fight at the school, nor can you tell me that it will be the last. I am pretty sure that Mr. Barker wasn't the first to get roughed up pretty good. Then why is no other children from this district charged with attempted murder each time there is a fight? Another thing thing that people keep neglecting to mention is that there was another incident where one of the teens involved in the beating was assaulted in much the same way by an adult and some people from the school. Where is the trial and publicity for that. Look people this is an unfortunate situation. The best thing to do now is get out all these thing that seperate us. It's not a time to point fingers; but it is time to figure out what we need to do to change the horizon. These are our teens! That doesn't frighten you? These thoughts, and actions that they are exhibiting in this town are reminder that the time of Jim Crow laws wasn't really that long ago. We need to examine where we are going, and know that the only way to get there is through working together. we have bigger fish to fry now. There nations and terrorist out there that don't like us no matter whether we are black or white. Key word being American. That's what I am...no need to conform me into a smaller subgeneous-that's what we should all think of ourselves. We as a nation are losing, with nonsense such as this.

Since: Jul 07

Jena, LA

#23 Jul 11, 2007
Jamaal, I respect your opinion but I feel you don't completely understand the severity of the crime. Barker was struck from behind, knocking him unconscious. Then the other 5 assailants literally jumped in and began kicking and stomping him, only stopping when others, including faculty members, interceded. Barker was bleeding from the ears and eyes and family and friends agree that he has undergone a major personality shift since the incident. I am not familiar enough with the law to base a charge on that, but I think you will agree that this was much more severe than a simple schoolyard fight.

Out of the Loop, please believe me that Jolissa is NOT someone you would want to entrust your kids to. Two years ago she would have been in the middle of the action, doing the stomping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
does anybody know a Nichole Cowan (Dec '16) Jun 30 TipsyFromCentralC... 4
ISO house to rent that is done through housing... May '17 ABC 9100 1
What became of Leah Wilson? (Oct '12) May '17 Bumper 2
Looking for Linda M. Of Georgetown May '17 ABC 9100 1
ball foods (Jul '14) Apr '17 kikuser 3
Too much trash in Ball Apr '17 Where is the evid... 3
Town of Ball Again (May '14) Apr '17 Where is the evid... 4

Jena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jena Mortgages