Jena 6 Conviction Thrown Out

Jena 6 Conviction Thrown Out

There are 799 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Sep 15, 2007, titled Jena 6 Conviction Thrown Out. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

A state appeals court said in tossing Mychal Bell's conviction that the 17-year-old should not have been tried as an adult on the charge of aggravated battery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 40
Next Last
Habit

Myrtle Beach, SC

#1 Sep 15, 2007
Alittle sweating going on in Jena?
Bigg Bubb

Macon, GA

#2 Sep 15, 2007
I think this has gone on long enough in our community. Blacks are still being treated as they were back in the 1930's, harsh and unfair. This is 2007 and nothing has changed. We say we want to live in a better society, but then things like this happen. I am happy that the conviction was overturned, but it should have never gotten that far. The kids should have been suspended for three days, case closed, as stated in the school's policy.
Lonewolf

Batesburg, SC

#3 Sep 15, 2007
It should have been thrown out if he wasn't supposed to be tried as an adult.I agree that hanging the nooses and harrassment were inflammatory,but it doesn't excuse assaulting someone.We all might as well get along with each other,we're all in the same boat here on earth.
Blacks have more rights

United States

#4 Sep 15, 2007
Blacks have more rights
then wight folk
Justice

AOL

#5 Sep 15, 2007
It was appropriate!!
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH

United States

#6 Sep 15, 2007
If 6 white people beat up a
black person, You’s people
would be raising ####

what are you complaining about
you’s peoples get promoted
just because your black
and we white people have
to file reverse discrimination
you’s peoples got more rights then
us and YOU'S PEOPLES WANT EVEN
MORE

now go head and say I am raciest
but of course YOU’S PEOPLES
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH
Bigg Bubb wrote:
I think this has gone on long enough in our community. Blacks are still being treated as they were back in the 1930's, harsh and unfair. This is 2007 and nothing has changed. We say we want to live in a better society, but then things like this happen. I am happy that the conviction was overturned, but it should have never gotten that far. The kids should have been suspended for three days, case closed, as stated in the school's policy.
Mother of 3 in NC

Mooresville, NC

#7 Sep 15, 2007
Can we stop making this thing about white and black. I am a black mother and have three girls and they go to a predominately white school. I have never allowed them to see skin color, but from reading these comments I don't know that is the right thing to do or not. What happen in Jena should not have taken place from the nooses, the gun, or both assaults on the black and white guy. But at the end of the day they were kids like they said from the jump with the nooses. Teenagers are going to make silly choices (just like we had to) that is all part of growing up; you live and you learn and you should learn from their mistakes. But what we really need to look at is the hatered going on in Jena and other parts of America; it needs to stop. It is time to put Prayer back in the schools. I pray for my kids to be protected every morning before sending them off into this mean world. We are loosing are kids both white and black to the DEVIL-he comes to steal, kill, and destroy and he is doing through our kids in 2007 and has been doing it for sometime now. He is attacking them through the schools and police now and why because we took God out of these systems; when we have teachers having sex with students, kids taking guns to school, and kids getting sentence as adults for a school fight. You have lynching going on daily from youth and adults and I have never heard of anyone being tried for attempted murder for this. I do not feel it is right and not because they were black either; because I am a mother and it could have been my child. Look at the incident in WV; that is what you call attempted murder and conspiracy to commit a murder-6 people(regardless of the skin color) hold someone against their will and tortue and rape a person for a week. It is time we stand regardless of skin color UNITED; Because United we stand; Divided we fall-we have a very corrupt govt.
DOWHAT

United States

#8 Sep 15, 2007
Bigg Bubb wrote:
I think this has gone on long enough in our community. Blacks are still being treated as they were back in the 1930's, harsh and unfair. This is 2007 and nothing has changed. We say we want to live in a better society, but then things like this happen. I am happy that the conviction was overturned, but it should have never gotten that far. The kids should have been suspended for three days, case closed, as stated in the school's policy.
Is there something wrong that you can't see Six(6) young people beatup one guy. Suspend? Or you nuts?
Mother of 3 in NC

Mooresville, NC

#9 Sep 15, 2007
It's time for us to stop seeing color and see individuals. I have three girls (black)and they go to a predominately white school. Their friends are white but I haven't allowed them to see color. My daughter also plays softball where she may be the only black sometimes on her team; but she doesn't see that. I don't see this as being right or wrong because these are kids and kids have to live and learn from their mistakes. They are not adults and that is the biggest issue here
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH wrote:
If 6 white people beat up a
black person, You’s people
would be raising ####
what are you complaining about
you’s peoples get promoted
just because your black
and we white people have
to file reverse discrimination
you’s peoples got more rights then
us and YOU'S PEOPLES WANT EVEN
MORE
now go head and say I am raciest
but of course YOU’S PEOPLES
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH
<quoted text>

“you know you want me ”

Since: Sep 07

Dodge city

#10 Sep 15, 2007
From what little i know of this story , Because I didn't want to get into this race issue I would say justice is done! And as Rodney King said can't we all just get along?

Since: Sep 07

AOL

#11 Sep 15, 2007
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH wrote:
If 6 white people beat up a
black person, You’s people
would be raising ####
what are you complaining about
you’s peoples get promoted
just because your black
and we white people have
to file reverse discrimination
you’s peoples got more rights then
us and YOU'S PEOPLES WANT EVEN
MORE
now go head and say I am raciest
but of course YOU’S PEOPLES
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH
<quoted text>
you really sound stupid. Yous must be a word that you rednecks use because it's surely not apart of the African American culture. Get up off the couch and go back to school
Kathy

Sumter, SC

#12 Sep 15, 2007
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH wrote:
If 6 white people beat up a
black person, You’s people
would be raising ####
what are you complaining about
you’s peoples get promoted
just because your black
and we white people have
to file reverse discrimination
you’s peoples got more rights then
us and YOU'S PEOPLES WANT EVEN
MORE
now go head and say I am raciest
but of course YOU’S PEOPLES
CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH
<quoted text>
NO THE TRUTH is that whites have been and still are doing the same thing that they did under Jim Crow when millions of Africans were killed by whites during the holocaust of slavery that were never tried or convicted or brought to justice at all. And injustice still reigns supreme in America because justice in America is not real unless it is justice for whites alone. Just ask some Hispanics, some Indians, some blacks and the list goes on. This land was taken from the people that it truly belonged to and your people somehow believe that they owe no debt to anyone. God will cause a nation to reap what it has sown; maybe your days of reaping are upon your people. Your debts are great internationally. You anhiliated the Indians and took their land and destroyed their people. You tried to do it to African Americans and are still trying, but God hasn't let it happen! Whites want to dominate control and destroy others who they perceive as a threat. They fear that what they have done to others will be done to them. A nation may reap the evil it has sown.That is why the people in the middleast are going after the US because of white capitolists power hungry dogs who want to keep down other people groups and rule other nations. The Aryian mindset never died with Hitler--the truth is that your people want to rule the world and all of its resources but they my friend belong to God and God alone will some day rule.
whatever

Columbia, SC

#13 Sep 15, 2007
nurse72 wrote:
<quoted text>you really sound stupid. Yous must be a word that you rednecks use because it's surely not apart of the African American culture. Get up off the couch and go back to school
troll alert...should be expected.... this is a race issue now, an obviously well used tactic of the black community when deflecting responsibility. BTW you are either American or Not
sickofthismess

Graniteville, SC

#14 Sep 15, 2007
I am so glad this conviction has been overturned...what I'm sad about is ..... many of you still dont get the message. Racism has to stop all sides. We can fuss until we are blue in the face about African Americans, Mexicans, Latinos, or Asians are treated unfairly...but until we do something about it..the issues will never be resolved!!! STAND UP and MAKE NOISE for something you feel is not right!!!

Since: Sep 07

AOL

#15 Sep 15, 2007
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
troll alert...should be expected.... this is a race issue now, an obviously well used tactic of the black community when deflecting responsibility. BTW you are either American or Not
Race issue now it has always been about keeping African American down. Guess what? The responsibility is in the hands of the DA, the judge and the 12 man jury for the mess they caused. Th official state not parish hand book says the punishment for a school yardfight is 3 days suspension not jail. YES I SAID FIGHT. That kid went to a ring ceremony and party the same night. As far as your statement American or not we all learned in elementary school that America is a nation of cultural mixing. There is no quote unquote true American. I am proud to say yes I am an African American, you really need to get a grip on life because it is really bad when you have to start lying to yourself. I feel sorry for you.
Staffing

Augusta, GA

#17 Sep 15, 2007
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
troll alert...should be expected.... this is a race issue now, an obviously well used tactic of the black community when deflecting responsibility. BTW you are either American or Not
WHITES HAVE ALWAY DEFLECTED RESPONSIBILITIES LOOK AT HISTORY.....INDIANS, BLACKS, HISPANIC AND EVEN THEMSELVE(HILTER). WHITES ARE PEOPLE WHO LOVE TO HATE.
Ari

Columbia, SC

#19 Sep 15, 2007
americangirl wrote:
<quoted text>
where the hell are you from ride down harden, green, or any other dam street. blacks get to sit on the side walk and drink beer all day, all while the white man goes to work to pay taxes so the government can support him (black) and his 6 b***tard kids.. blacks make up 13% of america, 80% of blacks make up the prision population.
If that is true why does Columbia have the highest percentage of black middle and upper class in the state. When you pass by Harden try to look at the kids in college and the revitalization in the area. To keep hate going you have to see what you want to see and not the truth. If you only look for drunks that is exactly what you are going to see. Situations like Jena 6 is the reason there is 80% incarceration.

Since: Sep 07

AOL

#21 Sep 15, 2007
americangirl wrote:
<quoted text>
where the hell are you from ride down harden, green, or any other dam street. blacks get to sit on the side walk and drink beer all day, all while the white man goes to work to pay taxes so the government can support him (black) and his 6 b***tard kids.. blacks make up 13% of america, 80% of blacks make up the prision population.
Sorry sweetheart you really need to take time off this website and visit your local library or even the goggle website. There is more white people on welfare to include medicaid and food stamps than Africian American people. Speaking as a federal employee I see it everyday. I DARE you to read a book and get your facts straight
whatever

Columbia, SC

#22 Sep 15, 2007
nurse72 wrote:
<quoted text>Race issue now it has always been about keeping African American down. Guess what? The responsibility is in the hands of the DA, the judge and the 12 man jury for the mess they caused. Th official state not parish hand book says the punishment for a school yardfight is 3 days suspension not jail. YES I SAID FIGHT. That kid went to a ring ceremony and party the same night. As far as your statement American or not we all learned in elementary school that America is a nation of cultural mixing. There is no quote unquote true American. I am proud to say yes I am an African American, you really need to get a grip on life because it is really bad when you have to start lying to yourself. I feel sorry for you.
willing to admit it or you know good and well had the races been reversed al and jesse would have demanded max prison term.
and yes america is a melting pot, however when you choose this country as your home you become an american, im not saying forget your heritage. if you want to be treated as an equal stop labeling yourself as anything other than an american
btw- i do not need your pity, i just admit what others will not
WIL WATSON

United States

#23 Sep 15, 2007
Blacks have more rights wrote:
Blacks have more rights
then wight folk
The racial problems we have in this country are largely based on ignorance, as evidenced by your spelling of the word white. The word white is spelled w h i t e. The Jena Six case is only one of the many wrongful convictions in this country concerning our black youth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
does anybody know a Nichole Cowan (Dec '16) Nov 30 Uncle Tom 7
Looking for place to rent in Olla, Urania or Tu... (Apr '15) Aug '17 TRASH 7
News 27 suspects arrested in Alexandria prostitution... (Sep '09) Aug '17 justbeurself 23
ISO house to rent that is done through housing... (May '17) May '17 ABC 9100 1
What became of Leah Wilson? (Oct '12) May '17 Bumper 2
Looking for Linda M. Of Georgetown (May '17) May '17 ABC 9100 1
ball foods (Jul '14) Apr '17 kikuser 3

Jena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jena Mortgages