Hundreds in Jena protest conviction o...

Hundreds in Jena protest conviction of Michael Bell

There are 741 comments on the News-Star story from Aug 1, 2007, titled Hundreds in Jena protest conviction of Michael Bell. In it, News-Star reports that:

“Five or six family members and members of the community presented the petitions to an assistant district attorney”

JENA - Hundreds of people gathered in this little central Louisiana town on Tuesday to protest the conviction on one black student and the indictments of five others in an attack on a white schoolmate. via News-Star

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News-Star.

First Prev
of 38
Next Last
phillip carter

Winston Salem, NC

#1 Aug 1, 2007
It is a shame that we in America act as if we have no historical knowledge of our racial interactions;we act like we don't know acts or pranks as some would call it of racial intimadation or terrorism.

Those young men had knowledge America's racial history,and should have been suspended for the rest of the year and give some type of couseling.

This mess is the result of the school systems failure to do what would have been done if the accused was a minority.

Thus this shows just how important diversity is to those who have the power to implement deversity.
Ranger

Natchitoches, LA

#2 Aug 3, 2007
Colored people can not be called a minority any more you breed like rats, throw them out on the streets get the welfair check for them and then let them go to jail. Blacks can blame themselfs for most if not all of their problems. Sometimes i think they even hate themselfs.
NICOLE

AOL

#3 Aug 5, 2007
This is to Ranger,
What time period are you living in? I am a Black woman born and raised in New York City and I am amazed that for one, you call Blacks colored. That term went out decades ago. This is 2007 and even though you are from the dirty dirty south, you are still in the U.S. And breeding like rats is just wrong all together. If anyone needs to be thrown out into the streets its white people. You people are so lazy and are the most famous thieves and killers in history. You steal an entire race of people from Africa just to pick your cotton, work in your fields and homes and nurse your babies. Now that's lazy. And what about the abuse towards Native Americans? White people stole their land and their lives. You are the biggest thieves in all of the world and you have a lot of nerve to want Blacks thrown into the streets. We built this country for free. It belongs to us more than anyone else on the planet. We worked for it for hundreds of years and it is ours and we aren't going anywhere. You people are free to leave our country whenever you get ready. You won't be missed.
Ranger

Natchitoches, LA

#4 Aug 5, 2007
Hmm, very weird you are mad because i said colored. What do you want me to call you Brother? Dog? Black? Colored? African? Hell you get mad over anything, anything you can get a lawsuit over, you don't know how to make your own money you have to leech off others. If we are thiefs maybe you can tell me why all the jails are filled with colored people or what ever you want to call yourselves. Why do you get mad about your NAACP or united negro funds? Do they offend you? No i would think not because you get money from them. Double standards much? You were brought up to be racist, you want to say "HEY the whites hate me and it is not fair" but in truth you hate whites.

I lost a job promotion i had worked for, for over 5 years to a colored guy who had no idea how to do the job, after they gave it to him thet made me train him for the job. Do you know why he got the job? Plain and simple I was told right from their own mouth, we had to hire a colored guy or we were looking at a lawsuit, oh btw sorry your family will missout on the money you would have got, to bad you will suffer because we were forced to hire a colored guy who has no idea how to even do the job. No one said throw the colored people out in the street, I said YOU do it to your own children, YOU throw yourselves out on the street you don't want the kids you just want the monthly check for them that OUR TAX money pays.

I will agree no one ever should be slaves and it was a mistake to bring you over here, I wish you would have been left alone so this once great country would stil be great. We worked and built this country not you, you just want us to give it to you for free and if we don't then it is another case of racism. No matter what happens you scream racism, does not matter what it is that is your first thought. The FACT is Blacks, coloreds, what ever the hell you are, The FACT is you ARE the racist people.

Why did 6 jump on one boy? Because they are filled with hate it is taught to them from the time they are born, you are told hate white people and if anything happens scream racism and it will get you by. If you do the crime you should do the time. The colored people in Jena didn't want to be on the jury they protested it that is why none were, it was a excuse to scream racism again like always.

If you want to be equal then damn it start acting like it, be equal 100% of the problem is YOU. You are the one teaching hate, teaching racism, STOP IT act like a human being and you will be treated like one. white have to bend over backwards now to try and please you and if they don't then RACISM!!!

NICOLE

AOL

#5 Aug 5, 2007
You are a complete ass. Can't you see you lost the promotion because you are an idiot? Look how many words you spelled wrong. And just how did whites build this country when you people stole it from Native Americans? Yes, this was once a great country before you people came here. This was their land not yours. And you don't wish slavery never happened because that would mean this land would not be as economically sound as it is now. If it were not for African slaves, who would have built up this country? And please don't say white people because then you would have to explain why whites traveled months on a boat just to steal millions of people from Africa and take them back to America to work the land. Hell, white women didn't even breast-feed their own babies. The female house slave had to breast-feed the master's baby. If I thought someone was sub-human and nasty, I certainly would not want them breast-feeding my child. What's up with that? Why can't you just be honest and say racism began with you people. You hate Jew, Asians, Blacks and Indians. Where has there ever been a point in this nation's history where another race was not physically and mentally harmed by whites? You people in the southern states are so backwards. How old are you anyway. I hope you are over 70 years of age because if you are a young person talking like that, you are living in the 1950's, and I would be more shocked than angry. My parent's worked all their lives and my father just retired the day after my college graduation. I am currently working on my Master's degree in Public Administration and I am paying for it out of my own pocket. I work for everything I have and I don't beg, steal or borrow from anyone. My parent's taught me that. And I don't have a bunch of children, hell, I don't even have one child. I work, go to school at night and travel three times a year to other countries and enjoy life. Life is too short to spend it hating people you don't know. If you feel you were cheated out of a promotion, than you need to fight that. If you lost a promotion due to racism, then that does suck and you should fight it to the bitter end. That's up to you. Don't sit around full of hate because of it. Do something about it. I wouldn't care what color the person is. If you deserve the promotion than it belongs to you. But I guess you would rather sit around and settle for whatever crap your company gives you. The southern states are still stuck in the "old south" era. It's really more sad than anything else. I'm not a racist but I can give insults just like anyone else.
Ranger

Natchitoches, LA

#6 Aug 5, 2007
You seem to missunderstand the point. It does not matter if a white person is or is NOT a racist. Any time it has something to do with a black person the first thing that is said is he is racist. IT does not matter if the black guy was breaking into his house and going to kill his family, if he shoots him then he is a racist right then and there. You want to be equal and the fact is you are equal. They did the crime and they need to do the time, that is equal.

I could not do anything about the promotion because I am white. I am not allowed to say racism, that is what makes us mad. You don't understand it is not your skin color at all, there is nothing wrong with it. The problem is the way you act, you think the whole world is out to get you and it is not. We want to be treated fair just as you. If six jump on one and almost beat him to death Should they go free because they are black? Please, stop with the "I am black and everyone hates me" It is not true. The fact is you are black and you are mad because you are black and it makes you think people hate you because of your skin color. Infact it is because you always scream racism and then everyone says "oh poor them look someone is racist again how sad" No one is being racist except your own people. It is the excuse used for EVERYTHING. We don't hate anyone because of skin color, if a white person acted like that we would would not like that either. So please if you want to be equal that means everything, when you break the law you have to pay for it being black does not give you a get out of jail free card because you say racism.
Joseph

Little Neck, NY

#7 Aug 5, 2007
I am a white man. Ranger, you are an idiot and you owe Nicole an apology for saying that she is mad that she is black. That makes absolutely no sense. Do you honestly believe that every single black person in America is mad that they are black? Have you ever heard James Brown sing, "Say it loud! I'm Black and I'm proud!"? Apparently Mr. Brown was not mad because of his blackness. And you are also telling stories about some guy who got "your" promotion. Was that promotion promised to you? It's doubtful. On top of that, you went immediately to his race when explaining why you didn't get the job. And then you continue, telling Nicole that if a black man breaks into your home and tries to kill you and your family, but you kill him first that black people will say you killed him because you were racist. Explain to me how I should differentiate between your cry of racial politics and the black community's cry of racism over that hypothetical dead black intruder.

More important that any of this is that you got off subject of these kids who were warned by the DA that he could end their life with a swipe of his pen...and that he is in the process of doing just that. The kid who was jumped by the others was out at a party that evening, so obviously any injuries were superficial. To change the charge to attempted murder is as ridiculous as anything you have written in the past 24 hours on this website.
Jena Native

Greenwell Springs, LA

#9 Aug 6, 2007
The events themselves have been skewed by the media to brew a story. I am appalled at the misquoting and selective reporting which has totally twisted the events to provide the world with it's "fix" of sensationalism. No single media outlet has met its obligation to "report the facts" Instead they keep "blowing on the coals" of the event to draw more attention for their own monetary gain.
Most of the people who live there all get along just fine and have for YEARS. In the end the ones who suffer are those people who are just poor working-class individuals as the outside world issues it's judgement based upon a collection of adulterated content.
If you actually lived in Jena and knew the "rest of the story" you may not be so quick to call this racism. To do this you would have to apply the rule of law to each event. The DA told ALL of the students that the next violence on campus would be dealt with with the fullest exent of the law regardless of race or motive. No violence in the school was his edict. The "Jena 6" started their attack after that statement and so now what is the DA supposed to do? He is only doing his job.
The rest of you who have posted here and are obviously too obtuse for reason should keep your rhetoric in your own home towns and not sully Jena with your own agendas.
Ranger

Natchitoches, LA

#10 Aug 6, 2007
I do not mean to sully Jena. I am sorry if you took it this way, I too live in a small town and love it and the people here. I was just very upset that the first thing to come out of this was once again racism. Seems that is always what is said first. They think "Do what you want and if you get into trouble scream racism and you will get out of it" That is getting VERY old.

Our schools are already in deep, deep trouble with most needing to have metal detectors to keep the weapons off of blacks, and armed guards walking the halls. We went to school for years and years with no trouble and now it is out of hand. I wonder why.......could it be black youths whom are taugh to hate whites at an early age? Yes, I think so.

The bottom line is that this is not racism, it is upholding the law and no matter how much you scream that is the truth.
NICOLE

AOL

#11 Aug 6, 2007
Jena Native wrote:
The events themselves have been skewed by the media to brew a story. I am appalled at the misquoting and selective reporting which has totally twisted the events to provide the world with it's "fix" of sensationalism. No single media outlet has met its obligation to "report the facts" Instead they keep "blowing on the coals" of the event to draw more attention for their own monetary gain.
Most of the people who live there all get along just fine and have for YEARS. In the end the ones who suffer are those people who are just poor working-class individuals as the outside world issues it's judgement based upon a collection of adulterated content.
If you actually lived in Jena and knew the "rest of the story" you may not be so quick to call this racism. To do this you would have to apply the rule of law to each event. The DA told ALL of the students that the next violence on campus would be dealt with with the fullest exent of the law regardless of race or motive. No violence in the school was his edict. The "Jena 6" started their attack after that statement and so now what is the DA supposed to do? He is only doing his job.
The rest of you who have posted here and are obviously too obtuse for reason should keep your rhetoric in your own home towns and not sully Jena with your own agendas.

Where exactly did you get your information Jena Native? I'm just curious to know if what you claim is from first-hand knowledge or did someone tell you what the DA said to "all of the students". I see you put another part of Louisiana under "Jena Native". Does that mean you no longer live in Jena and therefore, have no real first-hand knowledge of the situation? I know you are trying to protect Jena, but are you being honest with yourself?

“This jus can't be summer love!”

Since: Jul 07

Jena

#12 Aug 7, 2007
LOOK PEOPLE IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO WAS IN THIS COUNTRY FIRST, THAT'S TOTALLY OFF TASK. THE MAIN REASON THIS BASICALLY (JENA BASHING SITE), AS I LIKE TO CALL IT, IS HERE IS TO SAY WE ARE RACIST WHICH ISN'T TRUE. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH THEN COME DOWN HERE AND YOU WILL SEE THAT IT REALLY IS A NICE PLACE. EVERYONE GETS ALONG WITH EVERYONE. SURE WE HAVE A FEW LITTLE MOMENTS BUT WHAT TOWN DOESN'T. BASICALLY THIS WAS A JUST ONE OF THOSE BIG MOMENTS THAT RARELY ROLLS AROUND AND IT WAS WRONG AND THEY SHOULD BE PUNISHED. THE BOY WHO WAS BEAT DID NOTHING WRONG AND NOW HE HAS TO LIVE THE REST OF HIS LIFE WITH DAMAGED HEARING AND SIGHT. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT SHOULD BE SOMETHING FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO TALK ABOUT AND IT SHOULDN'T GIVE OUR TOWN THE LABEL, "RACIST"
Jena Native

Greenwell Springs, LA

#14 Aug 7, 2007
NICOLE wrote:
<quoted text>
Where exactly did you get your information Jena Native? I'm just curious to know if what you claim is from first-hand knowledge or did someone tell you what the DA said to "all of the students". I see you put another part of Louisiana under "Jena Native". Does that mean you no longer live in Jena and therefore, have no real first-hand knowledge of the situation? I know you are trying to protect Jena, but are you being honest with yourself?
Yes, in my line of work I had to move to a larger city to support my family. Such is the way of the world. Actually my family still lives there, have for generations...with some currently attending Jena High School. Others work, raise families, and hold a principle of morality that I would put against ANY in this country. I visit there almost every other weekend that I can. So, yes, I have people who are there and whom I see on a regular basis. I was in town visiting my family when Al Sharpton was at Trout Creek Baptist Church on HWY 84 this past Sunday. So to answer your question: YES. I am well versed in the events from a first-hand perspective.
NICOLE

AOL

#15 Aug 7, 2007
Jena Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, in my line of work I had to move to a larger city to support my family. Such is the way of the world. Actually my family still lives there, have for generations...with some currently attending Jena High School. Others work, raise families, and hold a principle of morality that I would put against ANY in this country. I visit there almost every other weekend that I can. So, yes, I have people who are there and whom I see on a regular basis. I was in town visiting my family when Al Sharpton was at Trout Creek Baptist Church on HWY 84 this past Sunday. So to answer your question: YES. I am well versed in the events from a first-hand perspective.
Well then, thank you for your input.

Since: Aug 07

near maben, Mississippi

#16 Aug 7, 2007
This is to Nicole,
I can understand alot of what you are saying even if I do not care for it. But I have one question for you. Why is it that when something happens in a small area of the southern states that it is automatically the entire south that is the problem? Have you ever even been to the south, from what I've gathered from your writings I would think not. You have probably done like millions of others and listened to the news and word of mouth of people who don't know what they are talking about, I have lived in Mississippi my entire life and I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be. I've visited several other states and am yet to find a place I like more than my current home. The people are friendly and the only time I have ever heard a racist comment it was from my grandfather who is 75 years old, not much is going to change his point of view. My point is that for an entire region to be racist every resident in that entire region has to be that way, white, black, hispanic, whatever everyone would have to be racist and its not that way, so in the future please refrain from stereotyping an entire region for what happens in a portion of it. And lets not forget its not just white people in the south, so its impossible for everyone to be racist against black people.
Jena Native

Greenwell Springs, LA

#17 Aug 7, 2007
If the District Attorney comes to your school and tells the entire student body that the next incident of violence at the school will be responded to with the fullest measure of the law....and if you choose to cause that incident, you should expect to get what you were promised.

What is racist about that?

near maben, Mississippi

#19 Aug 8, 2007
I didn't mean to say that whats going on is racism, what I meant was that if she felt that what is happening is racism, thats up to her, but don't blame an entire region for what she feels is racism in an area of the region. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Jena Native

Greenwell Springs, LA

#20 Aug 8, 2007
Blaze5186 wrote:
I didn't mean to say that whats going on is racism, what I meant was that if she felt that what is happening is racism, thats up to her, but don't blame an entire region for what she feels is racism in an area of the region. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Sorry Blaze5186, I was not firing off at you, but making a general statement for everyone to read and [hopefully] understand. Media has stated that the DA targeted specific ethnic groups which he did not. It could just have easily been two caucasion students who fought and THEY would have the same charges the "Jena6" face now. However, it would not have garnered any attention and there would not be a big stink about it.

near maben, Mississippi

#21 Aug 8, 2007
Jena Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Blaze5186, I was not firing off at you, but making a general statement for everyone to read and [hopefully] understand. Media has stated that the DA targeted specific ethnic groups which he did not. It could just have easily been two caucasion students who fought and THEY would have the same charges the "Jena6" face now. However, it would not have garnered any attention and there would not be a big stink about it.
I understand I just felt that I might need to explain myself a little more clearly so that others didn't get the wrong idea about what I was saying, personally I'm tired of everyone wanting to jump on either side of the racist bandwagon.
Billy Temple

Cape Coral, FL

#22 Aug 10, 2007
I have to weigh in on this matter. I am from Monroe, LA originally. Having left LA when I was 19, I was able to experience a lot of other viewpoints. I have found racism is everywhere. Every single human is biased for or against something. I have my biases, you have yours. As I grew up in Monroe, there was an undercurrent of racism that was just accepted. Ask if yourself if you would marry someone of another race. Then ask if your family would accept you if you did. This is for every race. I have also learned that most New Yorkers have a superiority complex that is totally dumbfounding. Of course, I have come to realize that attitude comes from having to live in such overcrowding. I also know the vast majority of southerners are polite to a fault. Nicole, I commend you and your family on your success. I wish more people were as driven as you. Your anger at Ranger is understandable, because he painted the whole race with a broad brush. While his sphere of influence may not be a great as yours, he is basing his views on what he knows. The fact is most low-class people of all races behave as he has said. It occurs in the white race as well, and from what I have seen, is getting worse. However, I expect more of you, given your credentials. As Americans we have made mistakes. This will continue as long as humans of any race are in control, because as humans are prone to make mistakes. The beauty of this is we are capable of correcting our mistakes. White people did this when we also fought to end slavery, not only here in the US, but then went world-wide. Acknowledge the mistake, accept the apology, and move forward.
Buckshot

United States

#23 Aug 11, 2007
Good job Billy Temple! AMERICA needs to move forward on the racial issues instead of digging up the past. All the name calling & mud slinging is getting us nowhere. Grow up! We will never get past this as long as the pot gets stirred. I, like Billy, commend Nicole from N.Y. and her family for working hard, depending on no one but themselves, and being successful. But you obviously need a little refresher course in history Nicole.
Europeans tried to settle and establish colonies in America. The Indians, who where killing EACH OTHER for control of the land rejected this idea, and tried to kill the Europeans. So the settlers had war against the natives.
Portugal started the slave-trade with Africa in the 1400's. Europe as well started trading manufactured goods to Africans for slaves called the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. Americans picked up on this after they were running short on THEIR OWN people to do the work. American's didn't go "steal" Africans. Africans were enslaving their own people then and to this day still do. 4 percent of the African population are still controlled by slavery. AFRICANS traded THEIR OWN people as slaves.
I am not saying what they did was right, but maybe you'll see things more clearly on how it got started. The Europeans "whites" did all this to found a new land. Then broke off from Britain to form the U.S. of A. to establish a great country of opportunity and freedom and no one wants to talk about that. In all actuality, WE should ALL be thankful of what we have today, in gratitude of what our ancestors went through to get us here. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON.
And I don't believe in all these different "types" of Americans. If you were born in America, guess what, YOU ARE AMERICAN! My great grandfather & his 2 brothers rode a boat from Belgium, Germany to Louisiana. 1 stayed in New Orleans, 1 in Natchitoches, & 1 in Shreveport. I am American...not German-American. Understood is the need to know & appreciate your heritage, but nobody owes anyone anything anymore. GET OVER IT! Blacks are not a minority anymore. Believe that. We DO have equal rights, but everyone is TOO quick to pull the ole racial card. Even the black leaders keep it stirred up. US AMERICANS need to get on the same page with one another!
As for the events in Jena; Cause and Effect! The nooses shouldn't have happened. That was dumb. The fight afterward was to be expected. Everyone involved on both sides of the matter should be held accountable for their own actions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 38
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Still paying his taxes chris kimball Jun 13 Brief encounter 3
Butchers Choice (Apr '15) May '16 Rerun 2
Review: Pinnacle Training Center (Oct '13) Apr '16 SummerLovin 49
Looking for place to rent in Olla, Urania or Tu... (Apr '15) Jan '16 Looking 3
good head. (Jun '15) Jan '16 watash 3
Poll who put the hoe list up in olla la (Dec '08) Jan '16 InterestedViewer 13
News Rapides narcotics agents say meth ring had ties... (Apr '10) Nov '15 Blasphemous 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jena Mortgages