Since: Sep 09

Brunswick, GA

#1 Sep 27, 2009
I am truly concerned for the citizens that reside in the city of Bwk and the City Police officers. I dont understand why they are furloughing officers but yet they are still hiring new officers as a position comes open. Why are they worried about filling open positions when they are having trouble paying for the officers that they have now? Why aren't they laying off the NEW training officers? And WHY ARE THE FURLOUGHS ONLY FOR CERTAIN DIVISIONS WHEN THEY ARE ALL GETTING PAID FROM THE SAME CHECKBOOK? I'm wondering if the Chief is standing up for her officers? How wrong is that, to let your under paid officers get furloughed? If the funds aren't there then maybe we need to look at who is managing the money for the city! But thats just an idea! And why are there 5 supervisors to every 1 officer? Do they really need that many supervisors? AND WHY ARE THE OFFICERS BEING FORCED TO TAKE COMP. TIME(time off) FOR THE OVERTIME HRS WORKED? How unfair is that? I didnt realize that comp time could pay the bills. So not only are the underpaid officers getting furloughed, but they are being forced to take comp time rather than overtime and the CITY is still hiring people!!!!!! Have they lost their mind? The city officers have not had a cost of living raise in 2yrs!!! Everything has gone up, but the CITY COMMISSIONERS choose not to give the offers a raise for the past 2 yrs, furlough them and comp time in exchange for OT! I wonder if thats legal? Can you force an employee to take comp time for OT hrs? Sounds like a good question for the Dept of Labor board! Oh yeah, in case anyone didn't know this, the City of Bwk Police Chief is against chases in the city! So with that being known, if you get pulled over in the City of Bwk and you choose to drive off, the CITY police officers can't chase you, its against their policy!! How stupid is that? Run criminal run!! She is a joke and does not make wise decisions for her citizens or her officers! And how can she live in the county and be the City Police Chief? After all you have to reside in the city to have your voice heard at a commission meeting. Her own City officers can't attend and be heard by the commissioners UNLESS they live in the city BUT she doesnt live in the city and can be Chief and be heard! Thats unfair to the officers! They need to be heard by someone especially if they feel their supervisors are not looking out for their best interests!
CP from NC

Hazel Green, AL

#2 Oct 1, 2009
I lived and worked there for many years. I left in 2003 and to the best of my knowledge weren't the city and county PD getting merged into one "metro" dept. Maybe it was just the narcotics divisions, but either way Brunswick finances have been notoriously mismanaged and there public safety personnel grossly underpaid for years. That is the reason so many city employees left to go work for Glynn County. What a shame to hear about the furloughs and "comp" time. The officers in the city have a busy time on their hands and this surely won't help.

Brunswick, GA

#3 Oct 2, 2009
Well they were going to merge but they never did. The City officers still work with the county officers in the narcotics division. I have always wondered how the City Commissioners came up with that salary for police officers. I know they wouldn't dare put on that uniform, drive into the bad areas, deal with prostitutes, crack addicts, murderers, people with aids, dope boys, domestic violence calls and they get cursed at daily for that salary!! It is ridiculous! Be glad you left when you did. I find their furloughs to be extremely UNFAIR! Their furloughs arent because of the economy, its due to piss poor management, BUT, who is affected because of that, ALL OF THE OFFICERS OUT THERE ACTUALLY DOING THE WORK WHICH BRINGS THE $$ IN. I can see you are familiar with the bad management and the UNFAIR salary. The dept always wants to know why "moral" is down and "why" are so many people quitting??? Are you kidding me!!! Well, why would any officer want to work for the police dept that pays the least, thats just self explanatory. Why would any officer want to work for the dept that never wants to back the officer that did everything "by the book"?? Glynn County is not having a problem with furloughs. I wonder what will happen if a riot breaks out in the city and they cant get in contact with the "furloughed" officers? Bwk will get laughed at something fierce! I wish they would go ahead and MERGE, so all the officers could work under better management, NOT THE GUY WITH ALL THE FORECLOSED HOMES!!!!!!!!!! OR THE CITY CHIEF AND THAT CITY COMMISSIONER THAT BOUNCE CHECKS! What an example
CP from NC wrote:
I lived and worked there for many years. I left in 2003 and to the best of my knowledge weren't the city and county PD getting merged into one "metro" dept. Maybe it was just the narcotics divisions, but either way Brunswick finances have been notoriously mismanaged and there public safety personnel grossly underpaid for years. That is the reason so many city employees left to go work for Glynn County. What a shame to hear about the furloughs and "comp" time. The officers in the city have a busy time on their hands and this surely won't help.
Wayne Groover

Savannah, GA

#4 Oct 3, 2009
That department has been mismanaged in every aspect for years........Most of the better officers have left for departments that have some direction......oh well...look at the rise in crime in Brunswick.....direct relfection of police incompetence.
Honestly

United States

#5 Oct 5, 2009
Wayne Groover wrote:
That department has been mismanaged in every aspect for years........Most of the better officers have left for departments that have some direction......oh well...look at the rise in crime in Brunswick.....direct relfection of police incompetence.
Wow....
Little pissant wannabe thugs carjack, rob and assault hardworking folks because the police are incompetent. You Sir, have solved one of the great mysteries of life........

Brunswick, GA

#6 Oct 7, 2009
@ Honestly: Well first the dept needs to listen to the officers when they tell them why moral is down. The dept asks why but when the officers make some suggestions its like in one ear out the other. Second the city commissioners need to meet and "really" look at home much they pay these guys. I mean come on would you RISK your life for what they make $30,000-35,000? How would you like to go to work everyday not knowing whether you will return home to your family for that crappy pay? I realize we all are in that position, any of us could get in a car wreck and never return home but the police officers stand a MUCH GREATER chance of not coming home to their family because of a thief, crack addict, prostitute or a high speed chase, etc. Maybe you feel the police are incompetent because you or your family has been robbed or carjacked. You should go to the commission meetings and complain about it, after all they decide how many officers are allowed on the street, how much they get paid, and are in control if their moral is down. I know I would never put on that uniform for that pay! Have you ever researched what teachers, librarians and gym teachers make in Glynn County? It would make you sick to your stomach! We pay some librarians $80,000-90,000yr. To do what check in books? Gossip? I saw a gym teacher's salary over $100,000, but we can only pay officers $30,000. That is exactly why all the "good" officers leave! Wouldnt you? Why would you want to stay somewhere where you are not appreciated and no one ever listens to what you have to say. It's just absolutely crazy to furlough officers especially when crime is up!
Honestly

United States

#7 Oct 7, 2009
If you read my above comment again in context, maybe you would see that I am a police supporter. Police compentence or incompetence have no effect on crime. Criminals will be criminals no matter what. How can I make that assumption you may ask? Because I was a state officer for 15 years, in the price range you have quoted. I had a MUCH GREATER chance of coming home every night after my shift because I was well trained. I think the sheeple we are charged with protecting are the ones who may not make it home depending on whose paths they happen to cross. So pull on your big boy/big girl pants and make a decision. Either you are in this line of work because you truly love what you do, or you are in it just for the paycheck. If that is the case, maybe you should look for a bigger one (paycheck) elsewhere. If you do stay, you have to organize all the uniforms and get support from the people you protect, the general public, which we both know probably won't happen. Good luck pleading your case.

Wayne Groover

Savannah, GA

#8 Oct 17, 2009
Honestly wrote:
If you read my above comment again in context, maybe you would see that I am a police supporter. Police compentence or incompetence have no effect on crime. Criminals will be criminals no matter what. How can I make that assumption you may ask? Because I was a state officer for 15 years, in the price range you have quoted. I had a MUCH GREATER chance of coming home every night after my shift because I was well trained. I think the sheeple we are charged with protecting are the ones who may not make it home depending on whose paths they happen to cross. So pull on your big boy/big girl pants and make a decision. Either you are in this line of work because you truly love what you do, or you are in it just for the paycheck. If that is the case, maybe you should look for a bigger one (paycheck) elsewhere. If you do stay, you have to organize all the uniforms and get support from the people you protect, the general public, which we both know probably won't happen. Good luck pleading your case.
I can't figure out if you are ignorant or arrogant.

"Police compentence or incompetence have no effect on crime."

-Wow......maybe the dumbest quote of the year Mr. State Officer.
officer

United States

#9 Oct 18, 2009
Having friends who work at BPD, I hear a lot of gripes from them regarding work ethics of certain people there, who are in command.

Pay is lower for them than in most city municipalities. If overtime is made, the FLSA says to pay them. Comp time is no more. Some are reluctant to stand up for what is right for them due to fear of retaliation from the higher ups.

Over the years, a good many have left for greener pastures with other law enforcement agencies. BPD needs to clean out certain things to give those dedicated officers a better working environment rather than a hostile one that is present now.

When you do your job, and are chastised by the chief for doing it, that makes it a hostile work environment.
Farrel Landon

Savannah, GA

#10 Nov 14, 2009
All the cops up there are a bunch of coons......
DTD

Brunswick, GA

#11 Aug 1, 2011
Farrel if you think you can come up here and do a better job then the cops up here come on up and try it.
cindy taylor

Douglasville, GA

#12 Dec 20, 2012
The corruption in glynn co goes alit deeper than anyone knows bankers judges lawyers and dirty IRS agents that are claiming to ne Accra until the feds step n and start arresting people things will only get worse! An acct on SSI has embezeled all my co money and destroyed me and my family and we have proof in black and white and he has still not been arrested he is politically entangled he has fradulently fixed all there taxes can't wait till IRS steps in you boys better clean up your books it is coming!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jekyll Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Video Spotlight - A Whites-Only Bathroom on the... (Nov '07) 4 hr WC St Marys 893
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 6 hr Synergy 55,576
Blue Bar/Boondocks (Jan '12) Sep 16 JMO 18
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Sep 15 The WB 2,055
Who runs the landscape shop in Woodbine? (Aug '08) Sep 11 magnola 25
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Sep 5 faisha 186
Part 12 Guy Heinze Jr. (May '10) Sep 4 Get Over It 1,185
•••
•••

Jekyll Island Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Jekyll Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Jekyll Island News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jekyll Island