Email to Navy upsets St. Marys, Ga. o...

Email to Navy upsets St. Marys, Ga. officials

There are 61 comments on the Stars and Stripes story from Oct 23, 2013, titled Email to Navy upsets St. Marys, Ga. officials. In it, Stars and Stripes reports that:

An email sent to officials at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay by the lawyer representing the St. Marys Airport Authority has drawn the ire of city officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stars and Stripes.

RE Cartel President

Kingsland, GA

#43 Oct 29, 2013
Over the past few years the Airport Authority and the Hospital Authority have caused many problems and cost the tax payers of St Marys tens of thousands of dollars. The good news is they have exposed and embarrassed our inept City Council who is asleep at the wheel.

To understand the mess, all one needs to do is to look at Authority members who are common to both the SMAA and SMHA. Also, it appears they have the same lawyers representing both the SMAA and SMHA?
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#44 Oct 29, 2013
RE Cartel President wrote:
Over the past few years the Airport Authority and the Hospital Authority have caused many problems and cost the tax payers of St Marys tens of thousands of dollars. The good news is they have exposed and embarrassed our inept City Council who is asleep at the wheel.
To understand the mess, all one needs to do is to look at Authority members who are common to both the SMAA and SMHA. Also, it appears they have the same lawyers representing both the SMAA and SMHA?
What a crock. No Authority has cost the taxpayers tens of thousand of dollars. This is high grade B.S. City has cost the taxpayers big bucks but that is not a problems. Look to the real problem.
It Aint Pretty

Kingsland, GA

#45 Oct 29, 2013
RE Cartel President wrote:
Stop pouting, Jeremy.
Truth is

Kissimmee, FL

#46 Oct 30, 2013
It Aint Pretty wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop pouting, Jeremy.
Jeremy Spencer is NOT the only person that believes the taxpayers are being screwed with NO grease by Jim Stein, SMHA. SMAA, JDA, Camden Partnership, Charlie Smith and ALLELECTED OFFICIALS who continue to appoint career appointees to these groups!

Notice how almost ALL of these people are ALWAYS involved! It dose not take a rocket scientist to know these people do not have the best interest of the citizens of Camden County at heart. Its all about GREED!!!!
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#47 Oct 30, 2013
Clipper wrote:
The Navy could give a crap about the Airport. Only the Airport Authority and the real estate cartel have a self-interest in its movement.
When people say "Navy" your not talking about the CNO but some staff lieutenant drafting an "opinion" response to leading questions.
You could very well submit an inquiry to the Navy asking if moving the City of St. Marys would be in the best safety interest of the general public due to an accident. The leading question would have to be answered by a yes.
Unfortunately were not going anyplace and neither is the airport or the 44 million water/sewer plant.
Navy comes to two meetings and advises they want the Airport moved or closed and they oppose any spending of FAA funds for fencing. That does no indicate the Navy does not "give a crap." Explain that. The Navy said it was of concern and presented a security problem. That is contrary to not "give a crap."
Anon

Kingsland, GA

#48 Oct 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Navy comes to two meetings and advises they want the Airport moved or closed and they oppose any spending of FAA funds for fencing. That does no indicate the Navy does not "give a crap." Explain that. The Navy said it was of concern and presented a security problem. That is contrary to not "give a crap."
If the Navy wants the airport moved, how much are they willing to pay to move it? The airport relocation should not cost the taxpayers of St. Marys anything. The city and the airport were here before the Navy built the base. The Navy chose to not relocate the airport then. It is not the fault of St. Marys or its citizens if the Navy has changed its mind and now wants the airport relocated.
local

Kingsland, GA

#49 Oct 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Navy wants the airport moved, how much are they willing to pay to move it? The airport relocation should not cost the taxpayers of St. Marys anything. The city and the airport were here before the Navy built the base. The Navy chose to not relocate the airport then. It is not the fault of St. Marys or its citizens if the Navy has changed its mind and now wants the airport relocated.
I agree with your opinion but 9/11/2001 changed a lot of things. My question is where does the navy get it's money. On 4/12/2013 I wrote a check for 3,256 to the IRS for a total of 14,122 to federal taxes. I don't care if it's fed. state. or city taxes I pay all and the county.
Anon

Kingsland, GA

#50 Oct 30, 2013
local wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your opinion but 9/11/2001 changed a lot of things. My question is where does the navy get it's money. On 4/12/2013 I wrote a check for 3,256 to the IRS for a total of 14,122 to federal taxes. I don't care if it's fed. state. or city taxes I pay all and the county.
"9/11 changed things" is a common catch phrase when discussing the airport and the Navy. 9/11 changed the country's view of the possibility of terrorist attacks on our soil and it changed the Navy's assessment of their vulnerability. 9/11 did not change the level of threat posed by St. Marys Airport.

If the Navy now feels that they are really threatened by the airport, then by all means, move it. Just don't ask the citizens of St. Marys to pay because the Navy has become paranoid. It should not be our responsibility to invest millions to protect the Navy because they chose to locate adjacent to a small airport which, at the time, they did not consider a threat.

You have paid and will continue to pay federal taxes irregardless of the fate of the airport. If the City of St. Marys were to agree to pay $5 million as our portion of the airport relocation, I am afraid that our city taxes would have to increase.
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#51 Oct 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Navy comes to two meetings and advises they want the Airport moved or closed and they oppose any spending of FAA funds for fencing. That does no indicate the Navy does not "give a crap." Explain that. The Navy said it was of concern and presented a security problem. That is contrary to not "give a crap."
"The Navy" has always supported relocation, but they've never supported closing the airport. They have also said in the past that they wouldn't support legislative efforts to obtain funding to relocate the airport. Is this a change in "The Navy's" official position? Something in writing would be nice, as the proponents for closing/relocating have a credibility problem.
Ten Years Too Long

Kingsland, GA

#52 Oct 30, 2013
We've been listening to this shit for ten years. What the f..k is wrong with you people? The answer is simple: Get rid of the dysfunctional Airport Authority that is causing all the trouble and costing St Marys Taxpayers ten of thousands of dollars each year.

Then our wimpy City Council might grow a pair and solve the problem. The Airport Authority is playing City Council like a fish; the same way the Hospital Authority does. Stank Marys government is sick and the voters keep voting for the same old inept bumblers and real estate interest.
Anon

Kingsland, GA

#53 Oct 30, 2013
Simplistic dolt wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Navy" has always supported relocation, but they've never supported closing the airport. They have also said in the past that they wouldn't support legislative efforts to obtain funding to relocate the airport. Is this a change in "The Navy's" official position? Something in writing would be nice, as the proponents for closing/relocating have a credibility problem.
The Joint Land Use report will be released soon. Although the study group indicated previously that they would recommend two scenarios, one with the airport remaining in place and a second with it relocated, it seems likely that the Navy and some local interests will convince them to recommend only relocation. If this is the case, we (the city) MUST insist that they also recommend that the Navy pay the city's portion of relocation costs.
local

Kingsland, GA

#54 Oct 30, 2013
Anon I agree with you to the point of spending tax money. Everyone says it only cost taxpayers money.if so why spend money to move it,it will not make anymore money at north-end.
This whole thing is about real estate.If I recall didnt the navy ask for the water tower at end of point peter not go there because of security.
I am not for or against the airport I own no planes
The Axeman

Kingsland, GA

#55 Oct 30, 2013
Ten Years Too Long wrote:
We've been listening to this shit for ten years. What the f..k is wrong with you people? The answer is simple: Get rid of the dysfunctional Airport Authority that is causing all the trouble and costing St Marys Taxpayers ten of thousands of dollars each year.
Then our wimpy City Council might grow a pair and solve the problem. The Airport Authority is playing City Council like a fish; the same way the Hospital Authority does. Stank Marys government is sick and the voters keep voting for the same old inept bumblers and real estate interest.
Axe yourself this: what is the common thread between the 2 auhtorities?
anon

Kingsland, GA

#56 Oct 30, 2013
The Axeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Axe yourself this: what is the common thread between the 2 auhtorities?
2 whacky old men and a senile attorney?
local

Kingsland, GA

#57 Oct 30, 2013
I'm not going to call anyone anything.
Now I don't agree with either one. Don't know Mr.Stein at all but I'm sure he is doing what he is hired to do.As most attorney would do. If I remember right them 2 men took $750,000 and turned it into 3 million and a center worth around 1 million.I'm with you that we need to do something about both and get passed us.
local

Kingsland, GA

#58 Oct 30, 2013
I'm so transparent!!!
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#59 Oct 31, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
The Joint Land Use report will be released soon. Although the study group indicated previously that they would recommend two scenarios, one with the airport remaining in place and a second with it relocated, it seems likely that the Navy and some local interests will convince them to recommend only relocation. If this is the case, we (the city) MUST insist that they also recommend that the Navy pay the city's portion of relocation costs.
Relocation makes a certain amount of sense, but given the huge amount of money for Homeland Security post 9/11, it's a verification of the City Council's incompentence they couldn't put a deal together. The inistence on the fatally flawed Site 1 is a prime example. It's a swamp with a power line running through it. Original cost estimates were what, 8 million to relocate the power line, and lord only knows how much in wetlands remediation. 20-30 million, IF you could get a 404 permit. Assuming the permit was issued, it's guaranteed to draw a legal challenge, causing a few more years of delay.

I'm not sure where the new facility should be located, but the selection process should be transparent. Given their continuing incompetence, the City Council of St. Marys shouldn't have any say in the operation of the new facility if it's not located in St. Marys anymore. That's only reasonable, given the City Council has made it clear they have no interest in running an airport. They made it clear when they refused to accept the gift of an AWOS a few years back.
Anon

Kingsland, GA

#60 Oct 31, 2013
local wrote:
I'm not going to call anyone anything.
Now I don't agree with either one. Don't know Mr.Stein at all but I'm sure he is doing what he is hired to do.As most attorney would do. If I remember right them 2 men took $750,000 and turned it into 3 million and a center worth around 1 million.I'm with you that we need to do something about both and get passed us.
Do Mr. Stein and the 2 men do outside financial consulting? I need them to handle my portfolio. That's a hell of a return.
Catherine L Kloess

Statesboro, GA

#61 Mar 7, 2014
So, anyone want to allow skydiving in St. Marys GA?

We have warning labels on parachutes how about we put a warning label on your city.

Warning, Sons govern their fathers here. When the father is so arrogant to name his son with his name without even a Jr. added to it we place him in charge of the Airport Authority that govern's his father's airport. The son doesn't inherit the business he is governing over...he doesn't have to. He just signs his name to the accounts that were opened in "his" name. Hysterical.

File an ethics complaint? The Ethics Committee decides in this case it is ethical!

I could not have dreamed this up if I tried!

The real threat to the American way of life is wealthy individuals who support the taking of a community asset and placing it into the hands of a select few.

The real threat to the American way of life is an attorney who, without "due process" a court order or an injunction can use police power to close a business. Every time they would close us on Friday we would run to the FAA on Monday. Then we would be allowed to operate for a few weeks...only to be shut down again.

The real threat is Naval officers so out of shape they have jowls where their chins should be pretending that a little old lady with a pink parachute is a threat to national security.

You want to take a person's business from them in America right now? You want to invoke police power to destroy the operator on your families federally funded airport that showed that the airport could be an asset to your community just play the "threat to national security" card. Did the Rear Admiral Scorby really have nothing more important on his plate than to travel and tell people that skydivers cannot land on the military base? Wow, we must have really secure boarders.

All Jim Stein had to do to keep the American way of life alive would have been to file an injunction, get a court order, allow judicial review before closing my business 3 separate times.

With people calling, threatening my life over us landing part of a load of skydivers in the recreational complex (baseball diamond) and with the Airport Authority Board bent on destroying an asset that is a part of your community it was just time to leave.

It was never my intent to sue your city. It was my intent to offer the most beautiful view in the world to as many people as possible.

From the looks of the Navy guys (except EOD) they had something to fear from a 118 lb female with a pink parachute. If that inspires Navy to work out a little more-awesome! No worries St. Marys from what I understand Marines protect your Nuclear Arms!

Should you ever convince the Navy that having to look up and observe skydivers with pink parachutes actually enhances national security, they are looking where the perceived threat might come from I would be very interested in flying skydivers over St. Marys. Navy, they should live with the citizens they are sworn to protect.

In order to do business in St. Marys you have to be able to survive a son governing his fathers airport. Sequestering his Airport Authority Board. Holding closed door meetings repeatedly. Not allowing the public to give input prior to voting. Closing your business with police power, repeatedly. Who survives all that?

St. Marys is a beautiful city, with beautiful people. The military occupation of the city by the Navy does nothing to limit the beauty of the area or of her people.

The corruption can be contained. But it will take very unusual people.

Like someone who was able to operate at her next closest competitors location every time the Airport Authority Board shut us down.

Gratitude to Art Shaffer at Skydive Palatka for giving us a place to operate as the St. Marys Airport Authority Board was violating Grant Assurance 22.

With police power and no judicial review an attorney can personally destroy a business...unless it is mine.

Did I mention that, "I never quit"...
JUST ME

Saint Marys, GA

#62 Sep 2, 2014
Stien is just an old crumbling man , who happens to have a license to practice , practice being the key word , he just wants to rack up some billable hours because he can't get regular customers , the airport is just fine where it is , where it has always been , Jim just retire and leave the airport alone

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jekyll Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer aka Snow (Jun '14) Tue Ja nuttz 4
Job Corps info. (Aug '11) Aug 10 Jenforbus 6
Looking Aug 10 Truth 10
Watch Out Woodbine Aug 2 BellSouth 1
What Y'all think of District Attorney Jackie Jo... (Nov '11) Jul '17 Martin gillis 103
Part 12 Guy Heinze Jr. (May '10) Jul '17 Jeb 1,232
News Floyd Farm Bureau honored during annual meeting Jul '17 Cortney 1

Jekyll Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jekyll Island Mortgages