Construction on Jekyll?
Tommy

Kirksey, KY

#1 Jul 18, 2010
We are planning to come to jekyll Island for the shrimp fest. We come about every 2 years. We were wondering just how much construction is going on there, is the shopping center still there? Is it still a nice, peaceful area or if we come, will we have to drive through a lot of construction areas? We love Jekyll, but want to have another peaceful vacation there. Is it changing at all as far as population and construction traffic? Thank you for reading from a concerned fan of Jekyll. We would hate to come down and it not be what we are used to seeing.
GeorgiaFlash

Memphis, TN

#2 Jul 18, 2010
The only thing you might notice is that the small gas station on the left as you pass the toll booth is gone, and construction is present on that site alone. We were out there Saturday and it was beautiful. The shopping center is still open as well, I believe the pharmacy may have closed. Nothing like shrimp n grits!
Georgia Peach

Dalton, GA

#3 Jul 21, 2010
I, too, am very fearful that the quiet Jekyll Island that we love will change significantly in the near future as there has been a push to comemrcialize it. I'm all for improving the hotels, but do not want it to become a Daytona Beach or Hilton Head. Another concern is that Jekyll will become less family-oriented, and too expensive for the average-income family. There are plenty of expensive places for the wealthy and upper income people to go. I wish Jekyll would remain an affordable place for those of us who just want to enjoy a quiet, non-commercial getaway.
Rick

Lawrenceville, GA

#4 Jul 21, 2010
The gas station is gone, there building a Flash foods convenience store there. I think they'll be a Dairy Queen or some small restaurant included.

Great Dunes Park is finished, I believe.

The pharmacy is closed (too bad, that. We've been using it for almost thirty years).

Zachry's is supposed to move to the mainland, but I'm not sure when.

Supposedly, most of the stores will stay on Jekyll during construction of the Village, they'll just be re-located to temporary quarters - a huge undertaking, especially with IGA.

Check Jekyll Island Family Adventures ( www.jekyll-island-family-adventures.com ) for further info.
Tennessean

United States

#5 Mar 20, 2011
What a shame. It was a great place to relax. Guess we won't be back.
Jiminy cricket

United States

#6 May 2, 2012
We come to Jekyll every year and have done so for over twenty years. To bad they are ruining it. We will not be back. Thanks old Jekyll for many fond, relaxing memories. Good luck on the comercializing and spoiling of such a beautiful place. Maybe now it will turn into an over rated, over priced tourist trap. For that, we can go to Florida beaches. What a shame.
Jekyll-Island-Re views

Savannah, GA

#7 Jul 11, 2012
I see that most of these comments are older and I am sad to see those who have decided not to return to Jekyll.

I understand your fears. We adore Jekyll for its unusual peace, beauty and serenity as well. It is the same place it has always been. What's really neat is that they haven't 'added' anymore construction...they can't. It is protected by law that the rest remain undeveloped but what has been done are simple upgrades to what is already there so it won't be run-down.

I applaud the designer as they have updated and revitalized areas but (as always) the structures aren't harsh, cold high rise buildings...they are subtle and surrounded by lush, green and natural materials and nature. The gas station/Dairy Queen for instance is very nice and kind of tucked into the greenery and woods as you drive up. It looks more natural than the old gas station that was there before.

It's lovely--don't give up on Jekyll. Visit again and give it another chance. Keep up with what's happening on the blog/site:
http://www.Jekyll-Island-Reviews.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jekyll Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Camden commissioners hear again from opponents ... 3 hr Posted 3
Looking for Brian flanders 16 hr Truth 1
Looking 16 hr Truth 1
Jekyll Island Music Thread (Nov '14) Fri Musikologist 5
Poll Glynn/Brantley Sex...Whats Hot!???? (Jan '10) May 19 Farrell Landon 30
Matt Jordan and Scott Hennig should resign!!! (Mar '11) May 16 A little Birdy says 23
Part 12 Guy Heinze Jr. (May '10) May 10 Whatever 1,230

Jekyll Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jekyll Island Mortgages