U.S. War Prisons Legal Vacuum for 14,...

U.S. War Prisons Legal Vacuum for 14,000

There are 557 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 17, 2006, titled U.S. War Prisons Legal Vacuum for 14,000 . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

In the few short years since the first shackled Afghan shuffled off to Guantanamo, the U.S. military has created a global network of overseas prisons, its islands of high security keeping 14,000 detainees ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 28
Next Last
Laura

Colorado Springs, CO

#667 Oct 19, 2006
John Smith wrote:
I can go on and on. And of course, GC is good only for the countries/states that signed it.
Still laughing?
It's ok if you laugh.
http://www.genevaconventions.org/
If the GC's are not respected as you claim, then ALL american citizens in ALL the countries that signed it are in prison, being tortured and killed mercilessly.
That Luster fella that got kidnapped by an american citizen overseas wasn't kidnapped at all, he was RESCUED from mexican torture, then.
Unbelievable. People who saw heads off don’t want their dignity or rights violated by having underwear stuck on their heads. Cowardly hypocrites who hide behind women and children and refuse to play by the rules themselves whine and cry foul as useful idiots applaud. That’s how to play a nice game of “war.” If you’re ever mugged remember to play nicely and don’t violate the Marquis of Queensbury rules.
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#668 Oct 19, 2006
Laura wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhh. New York Times. Now there’s a reliable news source for you. LOL!!!!
I feel the same as you towards the NY Times but it doesn't mean it doesn't have a piece of good reporting every now and again.
Yes, large newspapers all lean towards one or another political side but not all is made up. The NYTimes has great crossword puzzles.
Wild Weird Willie

Pickens, SC

#669 Oct 19, 2006
I know that the NYT pisses a lot of people off - all those mutli-syllable words are hard to handle if you're used to the pablum of Fox News.
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#670 Oct 19, 2006
You read whatever you feel like reading.
If you think I'm not educated, it's ok, you sound pretty brain-numbed to me.
I supplied you the link - which I read - regarding the Geneva ConventionS and what you felt the need to point out I already knew. So much for that. Calling me stupid doesn't make your point. I should start insulting your mother.
I see what is going on with American Constitutional Rights and they are being trampled in the name of National Security and you support that claim.
I'm not talking simply about a bunch of people who may or may not be terrorists tucked away at Guantanamo. I'm talking on how the anti-terrorist "laws" are spilling out to the normal american society to the point of endangering the Constitution and freedom of its citizens.
America's claim to Freedom and Democracy is backed by the fact that they're supported by those Laws and those Laws are fully applied in practice.
Still...
http://spj.org/bh.asp ?
Here are a number of cases -I cut and paste links for reference and I also cut and paste many more things as they serve one side or another, it's still freedom of information. It's their point of view, right or wrong. Some things I agree with and others I don't.
Lisa

AOL

#671 Oct 19, 2006
Wild Weird Willie wrote:
I know that the NYT pisses a lot of people off - all those mutli-syllable words are hard to handle if you're used to the pablum of Fox News.
LOL!
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#672 Oct 19, 2006
Honesty wrote:
So tell me, oh “great consumer of the lithium and prozac,” which of these descriptions do the terrorists fall under?
How about this from the Fourth Convention, Article 4: Nationals of a State which is not bound by the Convention are not protected by it.
Hmmmm… Al qaeda members by their very definition declare loyalty to the “state” of islam, not a particular country… Well, they are not bound by the convention,
Guam dude:

Communism was never a Nation, Country or State. Sanctioned by the USSR, yes. Sanctioned by Red China, yes.It also involved more nationalities than simply those two.

Terrorist Communist groups existed everywhere in the world, sanctioned by the USSR or not and many were independent in all but ideals, much in the same fashion as islamic terrorist zealots are today. If you're smart, you already know that.

Your excuse for the "state of islam" doesn't stick and if the prisoners themselves were to tell me that, it wouldn't stick either.

Push comes to shove, what matters is the nationality of your original place of birth or acquired citizenship, and it is where you should start handling terrorism cases because there is no uniform approach to islamic terrorists.

Case by Case, not generalizations of who and what is EVIL.
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#673 Oct 19, 2006
Maybe painting my face black with shame for the way this president is handling the laws he swore to uphold would be more suitable than a tin foil hat.

American Historical Association, et al. v. National Archives and Records Administration, et al., No. 1:01CV02447 (United States District Court for the District of Columbia)

In November 2001, President Bush issued Executive Order No. 13,233, which purported to establish procedures for implementing the Presidential Records Act of 1978 (“PRA”) but in reality permits both former and incumbent presidents to prevent or infinitely delay the release of many presidential and vice-presidential records. The American Historical Association and several other groups, including the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, sued to challenge the Executive Order on the grounds that it is an illegal attempt to circumvent the PRA, which was passed in the wake of Watergate and is designed to open the records of former presidents to the public 12 years after the ends of their administrations. The Society in February 2002 joined several media organizations to submit an amicus brief supporting the plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment. After a somewhat complicated procedural history, the legality of the Executive Order was briefed again at the end of 2005 in the context of an amended complaint, and on November 30, 2005, the Society and several media organizations submitted an amicus brief almost identical to the one filed in 2002. The brief argues that the Executive Order reverses the policies in favor of public release that are embodied in the PRA by giving incumbent and former presidents, former vice-presidents, and their representatives nearly unlimited powers to prevent the release of their records by means of even unfounded assertions of privilege. The brief also explains the profound potential harm to the interests of the amici and the public in being able to study the performance of the executive branch. The motions are currently pending.
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#674 Oct 19, 2006
Wild Weird Willie wrote:
I used to read and write better English when I didn't pay attention to the news, that is a fact.
Laura

Colorado Springs, CO

#675 Oct 19, 2006
Wild Weird Willie wrote:
By the way mr. weird-o, that's PABULUM. I guess you don't read the NYT either. LOL!
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#676 Oct 19, 2006
"In each case, such persons shall nevertheless be treated with humanity and, in case of trial, shall not be deprived of the rights of fair and regular trial prescribed by the present Convention. They shall also be granted the full rights and privileges of a protected person under the present Convention at the earliest date consistent with security of State or Occupying Power.

Next time you try the cut and paste routine, try pasting the applicable parts instead of wasting bandwidth. Now get back to bed before Nurse Cratchett catches you at the computer again and finishes that lobotomy she started on you.

Don’t forget your tin-foil hat!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! "

HmmmmmmHmmmmmmmmmmm..........

You are contradicting yourself too.
Honesty

Guam

#677 Oct 19, 2006
John Smith wrote:
You read whatever you feel like reading.
If you think I'm not educated, it's ok, you sound pretty brain-numbed to me.
I supplied you the link - which I read - regarding the Geneva ConventionS and what you felt the need to point out I already knew. So much for that. Calling me stupid doesn't make your point. I should start insulting your mother.
I see what is going on with American Constitutional Rights and they are being trampled in the name of National Security and you support that claim.
I'm not talking simply about a bunch of people who may or may not be terrorists tucked away at Guantanamo. I'm talking on how the anti-terrorist "laws" are spilling out to the normal american society to the point of endangering the Constitution and freedom of its citizens.
America's claim to Freedom and Democracy is backed by the fact that they're supported by those Laws and those Laws are fully applied in practice.
Still...
http://spj.org/bh.asp ?
Here are a number of cases -I cut and paste links for reference and I also cut and paste many more things as they serve one side or another, it's still freedom of information. It's their point of view, right or wrong. Some things I agree with and others I don't.
Hahaha! That is funny.... The only person who has called anyone stupid in this little exchange has been you claiming it against me! I've called you mentally ill because you make it clear that you are nuts. I called you uneducated because you make it clear that you spew nonsense without reading information regarding your assertions. Go ahead and insult my mother, but I'm afraid it will not make you any less ridiculous and delusional in your ramblings and it won't make the men in white coats who feed you your little cups of pills each morning go away.

This has been an entertaining exchange, but it is obvious that you have very little to offer with regard to furthering the discussion. Try loosening the tin-foil hat and maybe you won't be so angry. Even loose hats can block those G-Man demons from infiltrating your brain.:^)

Say hi to the Chief for me. Nut-job.
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#678 Oct 19, 2006
Honesty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahaha! That is funny.... The only person who has called anyone stupid in this little exchange has been you claiming it against me! I've called you mentally ill because you make it clear that you are nuts. I called you uneducated because you make it clear that you spew nonsense without reading information regarding your assertions. Go ahead and insult my mother, but I'm afraid it will not make you any less ridiculous and delusional in your ramblings and it won't make the men in white coats who feed you your little cups of pills each morning go away.
This has been an entertaining exchange, but it is obvious that you have very little to offer with regard to furthering the discussion. Try loosening the tin-foil hat and maybe you won't be so angry. Even loose hats can block those G-Man demons from infiltrating your brain.:^)
It's not me that wastes replies solely for the purpose of demeaning without truly giving any facts to back claims.

You're worse than a nut-job: You're anti-democratic pile of shit and your mother gave birth to a hollow-headed twat. Your dim-witted replies are proof enough of what I just said.

All the laws for national security already existed and all the little loops have been dealt with over the years.

What's been happening for consecutive presidential terms, Republican and Democrat, is the tweaking of existent laws by the executive leaders towards centralization of government and further control of citizens with the excuse of terror.
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#679 Oct 19, 2006
Honesty wrote:
<quoted text>
Crack-head.
Honesty

Guam

#680 Oct 19, 2006
John Smith wrote:
<quoted text>

You're worse than a nut-job: You're anti-democratic pile of shit and your mother gave birth to a hollow-headed twat. Your dim-witted replies are proof enough of what I just said.
Hahaha! Don't worry, texas dude... I realize that your inability to counter absolutely anything I've written can drive a mentally ill and educationally lacking dimwit like yourself to seek refuge in verbal temper tantrums. Facts and truth have a tendency to elicit this response when posed to a person armed only with delusions, erroneous statist propaganda, and ignorance.

Now, go suck your thumb, curl up next to Mommy for some security, and ask the nice man in the white coat to give you some extra happy pills in the morning. You are a great example of how insanity is God's way of showing he has a sense of humor.

Thanks for the laughs. And you're welcome for the education.
toby

United States

#681 Oct 19, 2006
I don't know if this was for real or not.....
THE LARK PROGRAM

A Lady liberal wrote a lot of letters to the White House complaining about the treatment of a captive insurgent (terrorist) being held in Guantanamo Bay.

She received back the following reply:

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20016

Dear Concerned Citizen,

Thank you for your recent letter roundly criticizing our treatment of the Taliban and Al Quada detainees currently being held at Guantanamo Bay,Cuba.

Our administration takes these matters seriously and your opinion was heard loud and clear here in Washington.

You'll be pleased to learn that, thanks to the concerns of citizens like yourself, we are creating a new division of the Terrorist Retraining Program, to be called the "Liberals Accept Responsibility for Killers" program, or LARK for short.

In accordance with the guidelines of this new program, we have decided to place one terrorist under your personal care.

Your personal detainee has been selected and scheduled for transportation under heavily armed guard to your residence next Monday.

Ali Mohammed Ahmed bin Mahmud (you can just call him Ahmed) is to be cared for pursuant to the standards you personally demanded in your letter of complaint. It will likely be necessary for you to hire some assistant caretakers.

We will conduct weekly inspections to ensure that your standards of care for Ahmed are commensurate with those you so strongly recommended in your letter.

Although Ahmed is a sociopath and extremely violent, we hope that your sensitivity to what you described as his attitudinal problem" will help him overcome these character flaws.

Perhaps you are correct in describing these problems as mere cultural differences. We understand that you plan to offer counseling and home schooling.

Your adopted terrorist is extremely proficient in hand-to-hand combat and can extinguish human life with such simple items as a pencil or nail clippers. We advise that you do not ask him to demonstrate these skills at your next yoga group. He is also expert at making a wide variety of explosive devices from common household products, so you may wish to keep those items locked up, unless (in your opinion) this might offend him.

Ahmed will not wish to interact with you or your daughters (except sexually), since he views all females as a subhuman form of property. This is a particularly sensitive subject for him and he has been known to show violent tendencies around women who fail to comply with the new dress code that he will recommend as more appropriate attire.

I'm sure you will come to enjoy the anonymity offered by the burka -- over time.

Just remember that it is all part of "respecting his culture and his religious beliefs". Wasn't that how you put it?

Thanks again for your letter. We truly appreciate it when folks like you keep us informed of the proper way to do our job. You take good care of Ahmed - and remember, we'll be watching.

Good luck!

Cordially, your friend,

GEORGE W. BUSH

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G. I.

One died for your soul;
the other for your freedom.
John Smith

Muenster, TX

#682 Oct 19, 2006
Honesty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahaha! Don't worry, texas dude... I realize that your inability to counter absolutely anything I've written can drive a mentally ill and educationally lacking dimwit like yourself to seek refuge in verbal temper tantrums. Facts and truth have a tendency to elicit this response when posed to a person armed only with delusions, erroneous statist propaganda, and ignorance.
Now, go suck your thumb, curl up next to Mommy for some security, and ask the nice man in the white coat to give you some extra happy pills in the morning. You are a great example of how insanity is God's way of showing he has a sense of humor.
Thanks for the laughs. And you're welcome for the education.
I can only educate those who wish to learn.

When the NSA knocks on your door because your neighbor ratted on you for no reason other than he doesn't like your ugly face then you'll know what you have been supporting all along.

Laugh.:)
Independent

Croatia

#683 Oct 19, 2006
John Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only educate those who wish to learn.
When the NSA knocks on your door because your neighbor ratted on you for no reason other than he doesn't like your ugly face then you'll know what you have been supporting all along.
Laugh.:)
Right, and fact is, history just keeps repeating itself, and one would thought that homo sapiens would be able to learn upon own mistakes…

http://wip.warnerbros.com/goodnightgoodluck/i...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 28
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeffersontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 21 hr Hbo 790
Pewee Valley Music Thread (Dec '16) 22 hr Musikologist 3
Anyone know Allie Tassie Sun Gary 2
Richlawn Music Thread (Apr '16) Sun Musikologist 4
Kingsley Music Thread (Sep '14) Jul 22 Musikologist 7
News Stanley Dishon expected to take plea deal in co... (Jan '15) Jul 20 nope 20
Zoneton Music Thread (Jan '14) Jul 20 Musikologist 9

Jeffersontown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jeffersontown Mortgages