U.S. War Prisons Legal Vacuum for 14,...

U.S. War Prisons Legal Vacuum for 14,000

There are 557 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 17, 2006, titled U.S. War Prisons Legal Vacuum for 14,000 . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

In the few short years since the first shackled Afghan shuffled off to Guantanamo, the U.S. military has created a global network of overseas prisons, its islands of high security keeping 14,000 detainees ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 28
Next Last
Scutter

San Jose, CA

#1 Sep 17, 2006
The only way to win this "war" is to win the hearts and minds of potential future terrorist recruits. If we fight hypocritically and don't even follow our own standards of humane treatment and due process, we will be helping our enemies. We will be our own worst proraganda tool.
Easymoney

United States

#2 Sep 17, 2006
GULAG Americana.
Honesty

Guam

#3 Sep 17, 2006
This isn't a story... It is an editorial, and one with a poorly disguised agenda at that.

We're supposed to have empathy for terrorists who threaten our people and kill innocents in their own lands?! Get real. If you really want us to apply the Geneva Conventions (which do not apply to them since they are not uniformed military of a state) we would be fully legally justified in putting a bullet in the heads of every captured terrorist as they are unlawful combatants. We are FAR too nice to these horrid people.

Legal vacuum my rear end... More like a monetary vacuum. I bet it costs a lot more to house and feed these animals than the cost of a 5 cent bullet.
an american

United States

#4 Sep 17, 2006
Scutter wrote:
The only way to win this "war" is to win the hearts and minds of potential future terrorist recruits. If we fight hypocritically and don't even follow our own standards of humane treatment and due process, we will be helping our enemies. We will be our own worst proraganda tool.
"F" their hearts "F" their minds! They're ruthless muslims, look at how they rage over cartoons insults or what the pope may or may not think what other religion/culture behaves like this. They attack all civilized society with their stupid backward religion that oppresses freedom of thought, choice, actions, cowards like Hezzbollah and the 9/11 A holes they're are all one and the same. kill them all that's how you show them otherwise we'll try in vain to apease them and we shall lose our way of life. By the way here in America they have established a strong foothold with all their B.S. Mosques that they train new recruits with they use our freedoms against us. These peoples are the scourge of the world.
Easymoney

United States

#5 Sep 17, 2006
an american wrote:
<quoted text> "F" their hearts "F" their minds! They're ruthless muslims, look at how they rage over cartoons insults or what the pope may or may not think what other religion/culture behaves like this. They attack all civilized society with their stupid backward religion that oppresses freedom of thought, choice, actions, cowards like Hezzbollah and the 9/11 A holes they're are all one and the same. kill them all that's how you show them otherwise we'll try in vain to apease them and we shall lose our way of life. By the way here in America they have established a strong foothold with all their B.S. Mosques that they train new recruits with they use our freedoms against us. These peoples are the scourge of the world.
Chill out, dude.

Most Muslims are on our side.
an american

United States

#6 Sep 17, 2006
Easymoney wrote:
<quoted text>Chill out, dude.
Yeah you keep deluding yourself look at whats happening in London. Muslims who have grown up in a free society want nothing more than to see it destroyed. What would happen if Madonna did some stupid act on a cross during her show? Oh yeah she did and guess what the pope didnt call for her head. But let her try that with the so call prophet Mohamed she hasn't got the balls. why because muslims know they live a complete lie so they would rage at any precieved insult like wild animals. Tell me what other religion reacts like these mob of so called holy people none because no one is this full of crap. We are at war for ever with these nations beacuse we shall not submit to their GOD and they wont submit to freedom and democracy
Scutter

San Jose, CA

#7 Sep 17, 2006
an american wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah you keep deluding yourself look at whats happening in London. Muslims who have grown up in a free society want nothing more than to see it destroyed. What would happen if Madonna did some stupid act on a cross during her show? Oh yeah she did and guess what the pope didnt call for her head. But let her try that with the so call prophet Mohamed she hasn't got the balls. why because muslims know they live a complete lie so they would rage at any precieved insult like wild animals. Tell me what other religion reacts like these mob of so called holy people none because no one is this full of crap. We are at war for ever with these nations beacuse we shall not submit to their GOD and they wont submit to freedom and democracy
Sounds like you want to go all Holocaust on every Muslim man woman and child (only about a billion people) So, how is your attitute worse thanthe terrorists who try to kill us??? You sound like one of them! America's better than that.
Scutter

San Jose, CA

#8 Sep 17, 2006
Honesty wrote:
This isn't a story... It is an editorial, and one with a poorly disguised agenda at that.
We're supposed to have empathy for terrorists who threaten our people and kill innocents in their own lands?! Get real. If you really want us to apply the Geneva Conventions (which do not apply to them since they are not uniformed military of a state) we would be fully legally justified in putting a bullet in the heads of every captured terrorist as they are unlawful combatants. We are FAR too nice to these horrid people.
Legal vacuum my rear end... More like a monetary vacuum. I bet it costs a lot more to house and feed these animals than the cost of a 5 cent bullet.
1st off, Geneva convention applies to ANYONE held by a signatory government that was captured during a military conflict (there may be an exception for spys, I'm not sure).

2ndly, alot of the guys held may not be terrorists at all but just picked up in the sweep. Course, without due process we wouldn't know that.

3rd, IF you say these guys are not combatants but criminals (which a terrorist technically is) then they are subject to the rules and punishments of our courts (including due process).

Look, if these guys are guilty terrorists I say fine, convict them, sentence them, line 'em up against a wall and shoot them. But we must do this by our own laws! If we don't then (and we aren't) then A. a lot of innocent people are held injustly or worse (and that will only bolster terrorist propaganda against us) and B. we proove to the world and to ourselves that when push comes to shove we are no better than the them.

America should be better than that.
an american

United States

#9 Sep 17, 2006
Scutter wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you want to go all Holocaust on every Muslim man woman and child (only about a billion people) So, how is your attitute worse thanthe terrorists who try to kill us??? You sound like one of them! America's better than that.
We are better thats why we shall prevail in this struggle against evil. I dont care how many they are we as civilized people will defend our interest, culture, nation against all who threaten world peace and freedom. These so called devout muslims cant handle a little cartoon or a comment from a pope right? they have to go nuts thats normal right! they are animals and should be treated as such.
Crusher

United States

#10 Sep 17, 2006
Famous Quotes: Who said, "We do not torture."
Scutter

San Jose, CA

#11 Sep 17, 2006
Oh I think a lot of Muslims need to lighten up, course I think a lot of PEOPLE ought to lighten up. Course the vast majority of Muslims aren't terrorists or thin skinned zealots, just the ones that make the news.

Maybe you shouldn't look at the world in such simplistic black and white terms. Hitler did and look where that got us.
Bill R

Long Island, WA

#12 Sep 18, 2006
Scutter wrote:
<quoted text>
1st off, Geneva convention applies to ANYONE held by a signatory government that was captured during a military conflict (there may be an exception for spys, I'm not sure).
2ndly, alot of the guys held may not be terrorists at all but just picked up in the sweep. Course, without due process we wouldn't know that.
3rd, IF you say these guys are not combatants but criminals (which a terrorist technically is) then they are subject to the rules and punishments of our courts (including due process).
Look, if these guys are guilty terrorists I say fine, convict them, sentence them, line 'em up against a wall and shoot them. But we must do this by our own laws! If we don't then (and we aren't) then A. a lot of innocent people are held injustly or worse (and that will only bolster terrorist propaganda against us) and B. we proove to the world and to ourselves that when push comes to shove we are no better than the them.
Scutter: A legitimate problem with civilian trials
for suspected terrorists and their operatives is
that in a court of law there would be calls for in-
formation that would endanger the ongoing work of
the CIA and their counterparts in other countries.
We would be forced to divulge information that should
remain secret in the interests of national security.
There is the rub, and I don't know how you get at it
without crippling essential undercover work and
pretty much corrupting international cooperation
which probably prevented the UK planes from being
blown up.

All politics aside, the matter of giving one non-
uniformed radical Islamist a U.S. style trial could
easily become a circus ... even a deadly one endanger-
ing innocent American lives.
Forest Gump

United States

#14 Sep 18, 2006
Crusher wrote:
Famous Quotes: Who said, "We do not torture."
I think he means that we "outsource" the job.PEACE
devildog1969

Louisville, KY

#15 Sep 18, 2006
It's so nice to see the press writing and story such as this, it's about time the people see and understand what is going on in these camps..

Yea right. Since when are our prisons unjust and inhumane? What about our POW overseas, what about the POW's of Vietnam? Let's talk about unjust and inhumane, were the he.. were the bleeding hearts of america then? Where the he.. were the human rights activist then? I will tell you, protesting the war and throwing human and/or animal sh.., spitting and yelling baby killer at our troops
coming home from Nam.

So you want to talk about what's right and what's wrong. It's a different war we are fighting, and you need to get more agressive in the fight, and dam.. if that means scoop up every last possible terrorist there is and lock them up in our camps, then by God do it, at least we are not cutting their heads off on national t.v., at least we are not dragging their dead bodies in the street, at least we are allowing them 3 squares a day, time for their religious beliefs, and time to get some type of daily excersice.
Tristan

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#16 Sep 18, 2006
Scutter wrote:
<quoted text>
As a matter of spies, military personal commiting acts of war (sabatoge, intelligence gathering for military purpose)out of uniform during a war, loose GC protection.

To settle the issue, we have to either call this a war, or not. If it's a war, almost all due process went out the window, and the GC really doesn't take into consideration a war such as this. The GC doesn't imply that any POW is do legel representation. If it's not a war, then all due process is back in and should be inforced.

Personally I think it's a sudo-war. We are at war against an orginization that is terrorism. Maybe it's time to reconvene the GC and write new covents to put these issues to rest.
Kearney

Columbia, MD

#17 Sep 18, 2006
I have been suspicious... but I am not fully convinced by one source.

Quote from article

>>Seventy to 90 percent of the Iraq detentions in 2003 were "mistakes," U.S. officers once told the international Red Cross.<<

I wonder what officer that was? That number of innocents sounds too high. I would think the other way around 10-30 percent were mistakes.

Anyway, no wonder Bush is getting all frenzied about getthing his changes to the Geneva Conventin on torture changed - so he won't be guilty. He kind of has that Abramoff look of desperation about him...

Bush probably thought he was doing the right thing. He can't help that is dumb and stays the course making dumb things dumber.
Count Iblis

Oosterland, Netherlands

#18 Sep 18, 2006
The US can never win using these tactics. Let's suppose for argument's sake that most of the prisoners are guilty of attacking US soldiers, terrorism etc. But these people are nevertheless mostly Iraqis, so it's an internal conflict.

The fact that a foreign power is now interfering using force is not going to solve this conflict, it will make the conflict worse.

Bush is right when he says that Iraqis are just like us here in the West and that they like to live in freedom just as we do. However, they are also like us in all other ways. A fraction of the population will react with violence when foreign forces invade.

If you find this hard to believe, because the US invaded to bring freedom, just consider what would have happened if a foreign foce had invaded the US in the early 1800s to liberate African Americans.

Even if most Americans had welcomed the foreign invadors in, you would still have had many people who would have fought the invadors. Also, you would have had a lot of violence against African Americans and people who cooperate with the new democratic system.
Jones

United States

#19 Sep 18, 2006
It is clear that this is another fabricated 'report' of the left wing media such as Associated Press and New York Times as service to US worst enemies, and which is designed to smear our US Troops and portray them as murderers and inhuman. On the other hand, the ‘report’ is appeasing to the Islamic world, portrays the Islamic terrorists as innocent and decent people who are fighting for their freedom against US, which is the 'occupier', which is obviously a lie. The 'report' assumes that every Islamic terrorist that kill US troops should have his full Geneva Convention rights, with ACLU lawyer attached to him and protect him from US troops 'cruelty' which is a vicious lie and is wrong. As a matter of fact Geneva Convention do not cover the Islamic terrorists right and that is a fact! The fabricated 'report' is baseless and quotes Islamic terrorists accusing our troops while treating them as innocent freedom fighters. Obviously this fabricated report was design by US haters to smear US in its war against the Islamic terrorists that attack US in 9/11, and it meant to put in further risk and harm US troops, CIA, MSA FBI and the White House in order that the left wing liberals will achieve their goal that US will lose its war in Iraq. It is clearly a planned attack on US before the coming elections but it will act as a boomerang against the left wing liberal Dems.
Donnie

Akron, OH

#20 Sep 18, 2006
Easymoney wrote:
<quoted text>Chill out, dude.
Good point. We saw that clearly on 9/11. There were many pictures of them doing the difficult dance of sorrow and twisting their faces into smiles of despair. Of course, many evil-minded people tried to misrepresent those dances and smiles.
Donnie

Akron, OH

#21 Sep 18, 2006
Kearney wrote:
>>Seventy to 90 percent of the Iraq detentions in 2003 were "mistakes," U.S. officers once told the international Red Cross.<<
I wonder what officer that was?
The imaginary one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 28
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeffersontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thixton Music Thread May 19 Musikologist 2
Review: Louisville Refrigeration/Appliance $25 ... May 12 ssmith12444 1
Freys Hill Music Thread (Sep '14) May 9 Musikologist 5
Transylvania Beach Music Thread (Jan '14) May 8 Musikologist 7
Wellington Jukebox (Jul '12) May 6 Musikologist 14
Druid Hills Music Thread (May '14) May 2 honeymylove 7
Crystal Hayden (Feb '10) Apr 29 Chad V 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jeffersontown Mortgages