Groundbreaking for JHS revamp Thursday

Groundbreaking for JHS revamp Thursday

There are 1 comment on the Daily Jefferson County Union story from Sep 14, 2010, titled Groundbreaking for JHS revamp Thursday. In it, Daily Jefferson County Union reports that:

After the school song, "On Wisconsin," will come the groundbreaking photos using the traditional golden shovels.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Jefferson County Union.

AndySmithBrkfld

United States

#1 Sep 14, 2010
I will be driving from Brookfield to Jefferson Thursday morning to enjoy this historic event at my high school ('78). I was extremely proud to be attending this very special, architecturally significant and academically demanding institution from 1975-1978. I am deeply grateful to the voters of the Jefferson School District for thoughtfully studying and then approving the renovation, expansion and modernization of the community's flagship educational facility. I hope that I can honor and thank -- in a symbolic, personal way through my taking time to attend -- not only the present faculty, staff and administration but that which I knew over thirty years ago. From former principal L. Gene Wilson and then assistant principal Dell Olson, to a dedicated and truly remarkable faculty including these gifted teachers (and I apologize in advance for anyone who I will, no doubt, fail to mention): Wayne Hartwig, instrumental music; Bob Zweifel, Biology; the late Robert Flegl, English, Advanced Composition, Literature and Languages; Bob Follensbee, Chemistry and advanced Sciences; Bill Nodolf, Geometry and Mathematics; Donald Hoffman, Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry; Jon Dahle, History and Government; Paul Schultz, History and Political Science; Bill Brandl, History and Current Events; Wayne Kroll, History and Foreign Relations; Ken Leipold, Economics and Sociology; Ida Mae Marshall, as dedicated to student learning and instilling a love of learning as any Librarian could hope to match; Donna Essock, keyboarding, administrative skills, bookeeping and business management; Marie Pfau, guidance and student career counseling; Wilbur Larson, Agriculture and Agricultural Business; Lawrence Pennewell, men's physical education; Vincent Lia, Art including painting, drawing, pottery and sculpture; and many others before and after my time. A good number of these teachers could have been outstanding professors at a fine college, but they came to and made their careers at Jefferson High School because of how unique and truly special a place that it was well-known to be throughout the state. For me to have had the opportunity to experience this level of high school education, and to now be able to return in order to see the physical facility reborn and constructed for the next forty years of educational excellence, is a personal reward and honor to be among the others in attendance. It will be done, at least by me, with heartfelt thanks to the present Board of Education and Superintent Michael Swartz, to the present faculty and administration, and with the deepest respect and love for the faculty, staff and administration whom I was honored to have experienced. Thank you, Jefferson School District voters for affirming my faith in JHS and the community it serves, as uniquely committed to excellence in its local educational system. It has and it continues to have a special impact on the world in which we live.- Andy Smith ('78) <[email protected] >

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
class of 85 Jul '16 long gone 1
News Police officers go on stage with Boys and Girls... Jun '16 June 1
Cruz & Kasich Plan Huge Cuts to S.S. & Medicare (Mar '16) Mar '16 so you know 1
Police raid (Feb '16) Feb '16 Lisa 1
Transmission physician inc. (Dec '13) Dec '13 Amburg 1
News PluggedSolar Can Make Electric Vehicles - Tesla... (Jun '13) Jun '13 chris lee 2
Illegal Aliens (Apr '13) Apr '13 XMAN 1

Jefferson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jefferson Mortgages